Start by marking “Futile Flame (Vampire Gene, #2)” as Want to Read:
Futile Flame (Vampire Gene, #2)

Futile Flame (Vampire Gene #2)

Gabriele and Lilly have been attacked by something that feels like an Über-vampire, but the texture to the evil is blacker than night and thick enough to choke on and leaves the nearly indestructible vampires physically ill. Gabriele must find his maker, Lucrezia Borgia, to learn more about the vampire race and this demon-like entity that is stalking them. Unfortunately, G ...more
Published June 30th 2009 by The House of Murky Depths

To ask other readers questions about Futile Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Futile Flame

Stephen Theaker
May 09, 2010 Stephen Theaker rated it it was ok
Gabriele Caccini, "Italian by birth and vampire by nature", is on the road with great-many times over-granddaughter and lover Lilly. Pursued by a mysterious being with the ability to sap their strength from a distance, they search out another of their kind, Lucrezia Borgia, whose death in 1519 is revealed to have been the moment her brother, Caesare Borgia, turned her into a vampire. Most of the book is then given over to an account of Lucrezia's seduction and rape by Caesare, and the consequenc ...more
Fenixbird SandS
May 24, 2010 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read
Recommended to Fenixbird by: Michele Lee
Michele Lee's comment (in group Literary Horror-What are you Reading?): "Nancy, you should know that negative reviews DO sell books, because sometimes the one thing you dislike is something someone else adores. That's why I try to be so specific with why I dislike something in reviews, because there's a good chance someone else will actually like it.

Also, I just finished Futile Flame by Sam Stone, which reminded me very strongly of an Italian version of Ann Rice's The Vampire Lestat. Next up on
Jane
Jun 06, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
Just finished this book this afternoon and I have to say I really enjoyed this one too.

Where the first novel focuses on Gabrielle the second novel concentrates on Lucrezia (yes Borgia) and her story. I have to say Sam Stone doesn't shy away from tough storylines and the second chapter might be rather tough for some readers.

The pace of the novel is quick and I've had to do a few things one handed the last couple of days just so I could see what happens next.

The last third of the novel really take
Neil
Apr 22, 2011 Neil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, kindle
Another cracking horror read from Sam Stone. Whilst Killing Kiss #1 was a modern urban horror, Futile Flame #2 fleshed out more of the background plus it had more fantasy elements to it. Demon Dance #3 is next!
Terry
Sep 26, 2010 Terry rated it it was amazing
This one was shortlisted in the British Fantasy Awards 2010 for Best Novel so I'm not the only one to have enjoyed it.
Laura Summers
Reviewed for www.BookChickCity.com (7 out of 10 on the blog)

Just like the first book in this trilogy, 'Futile Flame' is a dark, dark tale of obsession. While the book begins and ends with Gabriele and Lilly our main characters from the first novel, this is Lucrezia's story.

I found Lucrezia slightly aloof in the first book, but her tale is a bitter and terribly painful tale of survival and in the end I enjoyed it far for than Gabriele's. There are lots of elements in this book that does at times
Michele Lee
May 21, 2010 Michele Lee rated it really liked it
I was given this book to review.

Remember back when vampires were definitely creatures of horror, bound to humanity, yet whole apart from it? Welcome back to that time, with Sam Stone's Futile Flame, the second in her Vampire Gene trilogy.

In the first book readers met Gabi, a two hundred year old vampire, on the hunt for a perfect mate who instead ends up with Lilly, the last person he expected to survive his killing kiss. In Futile Flame a monster stalking Lilly and Gabi pushes him to re-explo
Jeanette Marie
Jeanette Marie rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Helen Stokes
Helen Stokes rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Andy Frankham-Allen
Andy Frankham-Allen rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2010
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2011
Geoff Jones
Geoff Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014
Sam O'rourke
Sam O'rourke rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Kelly Beckett
Kelly Beckett rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Paul Tokarski
Paul Tokarski rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Michele Brenton
Michele Brenton rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Davood
Davood rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2009
Heather G Gentle
Heather G Gentle rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2009
Sharli
Sharli rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2011
Heidie Snider
Heidie Snider rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2010
Tisha
Tisha rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Rachel Redhead
Rachel Redhead rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
May 14, 2012
Lela
Lela rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Ridouan
Ridouan rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Sasha Drennan
Sasha Drennan rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2016
'Mistress of the grisly and the glutinous' - GRAHAM MASTERTON

'A deceptively readable date with darkness – watch your step! This book is lit for the much more discerning chick (and cock) who likes to walk in the shadows. Relax with it, but be prepared for sudden jewels and little masterpieces – and the rug to be pulled from under your feet.’ - TANITH LEE on Killing Kiss.

HORROR/FANTASY AUTHOR.

BIOGRA
More about Sam Stone...

Vampire Gene (5 books)
  • Killing Kiss (Vampire Gene, #1)
  • Demon Dance (Vampire Gene, #3)
  • Hateful Heart (Vampire Gene, #4)
  • Silent Sand (Vampire Gene, #5)