Start by marking “Dinosaurumpus!” as Want to Read:
Dinosaurumpus!

Dinosaurumpus!

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  505 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The delightfully colorful picture book that'll make kids jump up and dance--while learning about dinosaurs--is now available in Bookshelf!

Where can you find a Deinosuchus that practically pirouettes on its tail and a T-Rex that bounds gracefully through the air? Between the pages of Tony Mitton's Dinosaurumpus, where dinosaurs run, boom, shake, and shudder their way to the
Published March 1st 2009 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaurumpus!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaurumpus!

Barbara
This board book is fun to read aloud, partly because of the colorful dinosaurs that fill its pages, but also because of the words and sounds describing the dinosaurs' playful antics throughout its pages. although it's doubtful that the real dinosaurs were ever this graceful, it's lots of fun to imagine how playful they might be if they ever got together for a wild rumpus like this. There's no surprise that eventually all the fun must come to an end so the dinosaurs can take a snooze. This one is ...more
Claire Russell
Bumpus jumpus Dinosaur Rumpus is a great fun book to read out loud. The book begins with 'a quake and a shiver and a rumbling around' as the dinosaurs arrive and 'ready to romp'. Each dinosaur has their own dance move and rhyme and they are all having a great time until they hear a scary roar sound, the roar of Tyrannosaurus - luckily he wants to join in the romp too. They all dance around until they wear themselves out, begin snoring and fall asleep.

The book would be good for Nursery and Recep
Clementine Lagarde
Shake, shake, shudder near the sludgy old swamp. The dinosaurs are coming! Get ready to romp!

This is a wonderfully illustrated book about dinosaurs having a party but unfortunately a terrifying Tyrannosaurus is about to gatecrash the party. The children anticipate that the dinosaurs will be eaten up but instead he joins in! Each dinosaur has their own dance move and rhyme and they are all having a great time. They all dance around until they wear themselves out, begin snoring and fall asleep.

G
Virginia
Full of fun, bright colors and dinosaurs jumping and dancing. The rhythm of the words are also a plus. My two kids LOVE this book and make me read it every night. (They are in our current library rotation.)

A fun read. :)

ETA: My kids were so upset that I returned the book to the library that I ended up buying it. I have ended up buying so many books because of the library. LOL.
Kalee Stegehuis
This review originally published at http://rawrisforreading.wordpress.com...

Just look at that jolly Stegosaurus on the cover! Wouldn’t you want to read this book?

The title page is a swirl of purples and pinks with an image of a dinosaur leaping into the story, action lines and all. It’s the kind of beginning that says, “let’s get started!” Following the pages of the book is a shifting in bright colors, from green to red to orange the colors are really lively – perfect for a dinosaurumpus.

The sto
Dolly
Dec 27, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens, rhyming, dance
A fun book about dinosaurs. Our girls really enjoyed this one and so did I. We really liked the refrain, "Shake, Shake, Shudder... near the sludgy old swamp. Everybody's doing the dinosaur romp."
Alexis
Decent kids book. Lots of repetition and onamonapea. I just wish it rhymed/ flowed a little better at times. I also wish there were some phonetic markings for pronunciation of the dinosaur names. There are a couple I'm not very familiar with (and I watch ALOT of dinosaur train) so I can only hope I'm not completely butchering their names to my child. The illustrations of dancing dinos are pretty cute. All in all I'm not going to run out and buy this book for everyone I know, but i would buy it f ...more
Heidi
The preschoolers will love this one. I just need to make sure I can get the rhythm right, and that I can pronounce all of the names correctly. A couple of pages seem to drag out the story, but I think the children will be involved enough in the action of the story that it won't be too bad.

4/27/10 & 4/29/10: Both groups enjoyed this. It took them a little bit to get them involved in the rumpus itself. But they liked the pictures and the steady rhythm. And the dinosaur lovers liked the charact
Katherine Codino
A fun and silly book. Very colorful illustrations, the book uses different sounds to engage readers and describe the dinosaurs. This book is also educational on etching students different types if dinosaurs and their characteristics.
Nanci Booher
So I rather enjoy dinosaur books....except for those long complicated names. This one had fun illustrations and rhyming text. I don't know that I can do it for a storytime with a big group, but a smaller size one would work just fine.
Stephanie Watson
This is a good book for young readers. This is a good book to read out loud to class. Your students can silently act out the book as you read it to help get some energy out.
Laura Elisabeth
read this with C last night, as you can see we have a dinosaur theme going on at the moment!! She loved this book and I thought it was great too!! Good book for younger readers
Rebecca Hernandez
This books good to teach children about the different types of dinosaurs and they can also learn about ryming words.
North Lake County Public Library
A bit long for the littlies, even the 4-5 year olds we read to on StoryTime Thursdays, but fun to read and nicely illustrated. If you have enough room and energy to turn it into a participatory romp, it will vastly improve the reading experience.
Kaethe
Good book for toddlers who are attracted to dinos, not much to sustain the weary parent
Heidi Kuipers
Great if your kiddos like dinosaurs but hard to read out loud.
Brita
Makes me feel like A rapper as the words roll off my tongue!
Sarah (YA Love)
Very cute with vibrant illustrations and a catchy refrain.
Jane
We rumpus at least 4x daily in this house- so fun!!
Crystal Falconer
This is a personal favorite, my son knows it by heart :)
Cheyenne
Dancing dinosaurs! Cute story for young kids.
Jennifer Marks
great bedtime story... love this author
Hillvan
AD250L. Fun dinosaur book.
Kathleen Dixon
All the dinosaurs are gathering near the sludgy old swamp for a fabulous time - a Dinosaur Romp! What's going to happen when the T.Rex comes along???

This is a fabulous read-aloud book with its wonderful rhyming that begs for you to get up and dance. The colours are bold, and the dancing dinosaurs are gloriously happy. James, typically, enjoyed the roaring of the tyrannosaurus more than any other part of the book, but I'm quite sure that when we read it tomorrow he'll start to groove along.
Alisande
I bought this book for my dinosaur-crazy 2.5 year old. A year later, he is still dinosaur-crazy and this is the best book to reenact with him and his brother. They LOVE this book! Of course, they are encouraged to roar and twist and swoop along with every page of the book, until it too is time for my little dinosaurs to settle down to sleep.

F - 3.5 years old
R - 20 months
Angela
Bright, clear illustrations, a much-loved topic, and a bouncy, predictive rhyme all make for a fun storytime read-aloud.

The biggest drawback is those scientific dinosaur names! Gotta find a dictionary for a pronunciation guide. I also wish that they had picked a slightly different font - it's a little hard to make out the words quickly.
Sarah Souther
Dinosaurumpus has assorted dinos doing dances to rhyming text and a refrain young dinosaur fans can roar and stomp to. The dinos do their thing until T-Rex comes along. What does HE want?

Some lesser-known dinosaur names can trip up an adult while reading aloud, but kids probably won't correct you if you say "deinonychuses" wrong.
Becky B
Oct 08, 2012 Becky B rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers, Dinosaur lovers
A great book for beginning readers since it has few words and repetitive portions. I used to read this to kindergarten classes in library and they would fight over who would get to take it home (which just meant I got to keep it longer) but shows how much they loved the story and fun pictures. Definitely kid approved.
Taylor Johnson
This is a very fun book that young children will love. The song like nature of the book along with dinosuar dance moves will have your children excited and ready to sing and dance along. Great book to intergrate movement into your classroom.
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Ten In The Den
  • Dirty Bertie
  • Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox
  • Cat and Fish
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • I Know a Rhino
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Doo! Barnyard Hullabaloo (Tiger Tales)
  • Mr. Archimedes' Bath
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • Whatever
  • Kiss Good Night
  • Penguin
Down by the Cool of the Pool Spooky Hour Terrific Trains Amazing Airplanes Flashing Fire Engines