Start by marking “History of The Arabs” as Want to Read:
History of The Arabs

History of The Arabs

Inilah karya tentang kemunculan Islam dan perkembangannya hingga Abad Pertengahan, gerak penaklukannya, kerajaannya, serta masa kejayaan dan kemundurannya, yang sangat komprehensif. Ia menyingkapkan seluruh kekayaan panorama historis yang mengesankan.
Published October 2008 by PT. Serambi Ilmu Semesta (first published September 6th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about History of The Arabs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of The Arabs

Bryn Hammond
Feb 10, 2015 Bryn Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stole a library book once. It was this one.

I was a child, with no conception how to buy a book, beyond science fiction and cheap classics at my local newsagents. Besides, I wasn’t so well-behaved at that stage. We were leaving the area, and this book came with me…

It was my first major history book; perhaps my first ever history book. I had watched Lawrence of Arabia and been ‘crazed with the spell of far Arabia’ (Walter de le Mare). This book was every bit as romantic to me; I read more assidu
Feb 11, 2009 Aliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

this book is so amazing, telling us about the history of Islam world and its civilization comprehensively, from a longtime before our prophet Muhammad SAW's life till the end of khilafah turki ustmany. we'll know, from this book, the life of allmost Islam heroes, scientist, ulama, and so on.

but, I remind u moslem readers..., this book is a view of non-moslem person. so, it could be, he wrote without a sense felt by a moslem when writing it. therefore, we couldnt find an Islamic proudness (and u
Jul 28, 2009 Raff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although long out of print, this work is a concise history of the rise and subsequent fall of the Arab conquests of the 7th Century. A primer for people who should know more about the people who set Islam on its course of domination of politics, science and culture of the known world.
Mar 11, 2008 Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sebelumnya saya berharap ada penyajian yang objektif dari Hitti (hal ini disebabkan buku-buku yang menulis tarikh Islam sudah cukup banyak) ketika membuat penelitian tentang Islam dan Arab.

Namun jauh panggang dari api, harapan tinggal harapan. Karena objektivitas "tidak ada" dalam kamus kalangan orientalis barat ketika menemui kata : Islam.

Buku yang sangat tidak direferensikan untuk di baca.
Penuh distorsi sejarah, infiltrasi pemikiran orientalisme (karena memang buku ini ditulis untuk kepentin
Handaka mukarta
Dec 22, 2008 Handaka mukarta is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
memanfaatkan discount 30% di gramedia grand indonesia, lalu ambil buku yg sudah berumur 70-an tahun ini. mungkin hak cipta nya sudah habis. jadi bisa dicetak murah.

tampaknya tidak banyak menyajikan hal baru, dalam keterbukaan dan pencapaian skr ini. sebagai rujukan dan keperluan detail.

cukup "berani" juga serambi menerbitkan buku tebal yg hampir 1000 halaman ini. berani dalam arti aspek bisnis. buku yg dicap orientalis ini tampaknya sudah cukup dikenal masyarakat indonesia, khususnya yg suka d
Ernie Cordell
Jan 29, 2013 Ernie Cordell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is no wonder that he was known as Sheikh Hitti in the Arab world: The history was fascinating and very complimentary as to the advancement of science and technology during ancient times, something frequently omitted from other books. But Professor Hitti does not stop there, pressing the clock forwards through better-known times, which makes this classical work such a logical choice for middle-eastern studies.

I have seen countless other positive reviews and I am sure that I have very little t
Jul 07, 2015 ThinkPol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
honestly, a quite cool and informative shit, a compulsory read for well-read Muslims and Middle Easterners who want to know their history (I'm not the latter though so yea well haha). in this book, Hitti elaborately described (as its title implies) the history of the Arabs since the pre-Islamic kingdoms and tribal eras until 20th century, as well as their cultures, lifestyle.
My favorite one is the description of the riches of the Abbasid Caliphate. its like pulled out straight from an Arabian ni
May 22, 2010 faaz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
bukunya lengkap banget tentang sejarah arab dari zaman baheula sampai zaman modern....

y pantesan aja jadi salah satu literatur utama penuilisan sejarah islam.but, bikin pusing.... detil banget kali ya...
Danish Haidar
Oct 11, 2009 Danish Haidar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in the present escalation of teh so called war between the islamic and teh weatern countries this your" base book " to deveopl a soun understanding of teh arsb world.
Jul 30, 2011 Elie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a reference book without any doubt for anyone touching on the subject.
Oct 05, 2008 Ridwan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History of Arabs people, a comprehensive outlook.
Pandu K. Utomo
lengkap dan komperhensif!
Nov 08, 2009 Zico rated it it was amazing
Luar biasa!!! Tebal hampir 1000 halaman, penuh analisa terhadap ribuan kitab klasik yang buat ukuran ulama sekalipun sangat rumit dan detil. prof. Hitti juga menampilkan edisi terjemah eropa untuk setiap kitab yang sudah diterjemahkan ke bahasa eropa dalam setiap catatan kaki. Padahal masa ketika beliau menulis (mulai 1920-an), kitab2 arab belum tersebar dan tercetak masal seperti sekarang. terlebih zaman itu kitab klasik edisinya banyak yg tidak lengkap. Belum ada gerakan tahqiq juga.
Buku ini j
Sep 09, 2013 Obinpercussion rated it it was amazing
Inilah buku fenomenal. Saya pertama kali melihat tumpukan buku Prof.Hitti ini di Toko Buku Gramedia Depok. Saya tertarik untuk membeli, tp seperti biasa saya melihat-lihat dulu buku yang lain kemudian saya pulang dan lupa untuk membelinya. Seminggu kemudian saya kembali lagi ke TB tsb dan kaget, tumpukan buku itu hilang!! saya bertanya kpd petugasnya "Pak kemana tumpukan buku di sini? apakah cacat produksi sehingga bisa hilang hny dlm waktu seminggu? Dan ketika saya mencari di TB Gramedia lain t ...more
Jan 21, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1967 I was living on the corniche of Jeddah and for me this was required reading that I had assigned myself. I was teaching English at a missile training center to Saudi soldiers, who were mainly of Bedouin background. Dr. Hitti's insightful information on Arab culture was very interesting and useful.
Umair Kujjar
Jun 17, 2014 Umair Kujjar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jan 03, 2012 Rendysabardi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of a great source of Arab history. written by a celebrated middle east scholar Philip K Hitti this book offer a comprehensive history of arab from pre-history time until early 20th century. come from Cristian community in Lebanon made Hitti an insider and applied this perspective into his book. but as a Christian he offer a balance story than any contemporary muslim historian in one side and orientalist historian in other side.
Mansoor Azam
The book is not an encyclopedia of Arabs rather gives a broad brush on the land, the people and the dynasties till the start of twentieth century.
Anyone with out a knowledge of Arabs : this book gives u a comprehensive basic tour from the start. A good research though I felt some details, very important though, were left out to ensure a degree of brevity to this voluminous piece of knowledge on Arabs and their history
Apr 21, 2012 Raja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because Hitti was quoted consistently in literature about the Middle East. He seemed to be a reference for many of today’s specialists in the field.

After reading it, I wasn't dissapointed. The book was informative and also a page turner. It shed light on details of Arab history that I have found nowhere else: politics, religion, family stories, science, literature, etc.... It's all in there.
Faaqih Irfan
Jan 09, 2013 Faaqih Irfan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku legendaris. Tebal tapi enak dibaca. Bahasa sederhana. Yang menerjemahkan juga bisa membahasakannya sehingga mudah dimengerti. Sebuah buku yang sampai sekarang paling lengkap membahas Arab dan Islam. Tiap babnya membuat penasaran untuk diketahui.
Reza Nufa
Aug 21, 2013 Reza Nufa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sayang sekali, buku yang pemaparannya sungguh bagus di bagian awal, justru mengambang di bagian akhir. Terutama ketika membahas Turki Ustmani; sejarah seakan-akan dilipat begitu saja berabad-abad, tanpa penjelasan, sekonyong-konyong kesimpulan.

Fais al-Fatih
Umat Muslim, khususnya bangsa Arab seharusnya bisa memberikan kontribusi bagi kemajuan peradaban dunia saat ini, karna mereka selain memiliki kekayaan yg melimpah juga memiliki sejarah dan warisan yg agung.
Dunia yang keras, hingga banyak nabi harus diturunkan di situ.
Bahkan saat wangi tubuh sang Nabi masih memenuhi jagad, mereka telah berani mengorbankan cucu kesayangan beliau
Jul 24, 2007 Nisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
It is very useful for anyone who's seeking a preview about the Arab world. But some information he wrote in his book is yet needed to be reconfirmed.
Ale Natiq
Not very readable but remains a must read on history of Islam and Arabs in general.
Jul 28, 2011 Giyanto rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Referensi yang lengkap tentang konteks kemunculan "Islam"
Jan 15, 2012 Nidya rated it it was ok
  • Chaos and Caliphate: Jihadis and the West in the Struggle for the Middle East
  • The Ottoman Empire: The Classical Age 1300-1600
  • The Emergence of Modern Turkey
  • Nusantara: Sejarah Indonesia
  • A History of the Crusades, Vol. III: The Kingdom of Acre and the Later Crusades
  • Pemberontakan Petani Banten 1888