One of Those Days

One of Those Days

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,446 ratings  ·  216 reviews
Note: This is a first free edition of the story that is no longer available.

When Alex wakes up one morning, and everything starts to go wrong, he knows it’s going to be one of those days. Things get worse when his high school bully, captain of the football team and meathead extraordinaire, Ric Saunders, shows up for an appointment at the chiropractic clinic where Alex work...more
ebook, first edition, 24 pages
Published 2009 by Sodalis Press

To ask other readers questions about One of Those Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One of Those Days

I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxSno Ho by Ethan DayTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
9th out of 365 books — 893 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail Roux
The Best of Gay Romance
81st out of 2,093 books — 2,136 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy
Jan 31, 2013 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancy by: Daisiemae
Alexander Bell is a young chiropractor who enjoys his work, drives a nice car, and has great friends. Ric Saunders is a former high-school bully who made Alexander’s life hell eight years ago and unexpectedly seeks treatment at the clinic where Alex and his father work.

I was pleasantly surprised at how sweet, humorous, and touching this short story was. Ric and Alex are well drawn, believable, and very engaging characters. I keenly felt the emotional turmoil Alex experienced at first seeing Ric...more
Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
If you are having One of Those Days and need something to put a smile on your face... Read this free short from Zathyn Priest, Its Excellent!

photo e07e5231-d7d8-4932-a492-e442b9b0719f.jpg

Sometimes you need a book that is just going to make you smile and this free short from Zathyn Priest does exactly that, it also compounds my initial thoughts of this author… he is just amazing and an incredibly gifted author, I truly love his writing and his sense of humour is portrayed perfectly in his characters, this book is both humorous and poignant...more
Daisiemae
Jul 08, 2009 Daisiemae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone. This book is FREE
Recommended to Daisiemae by: I love the author's other books
Zathyn Priest has become of my favorite authors. In my opinion his writing is very unique. He is either making me laugh with his interesting dialog and loveable characters like in The Curtis Reincarnation, or scaring the hell out of me in The Slayers Apprentice. Either way, I love his work, and I look forward to reading more by him.

One Of These Days is a very short novel. It takes place in the space of one day and is told in first person through Alex's point of view. It is a lighthearted story,...more
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
Apr 20, 2014 Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* by: Bev

READ. THIS. BOOK.

NOW, GO!

I am serious guys, if you are having one of those days and you need a good laugh please read this book. I finished it a few mins ago and I loved it. This is the first time I try this author and I am pretty sure it won't be the last one.

First of all, THANKS BEV! This is just what I needed!

You know when you just need a silly funny story so you can laugh and forget that is raining outside when it should be almost summer??? Yeah, you get the idea. Then you discover this lit...more
Karla

5 Stars!! This is “one of those books”…and what kind of book would that be?? An absolute GEM!!!

How is it possible for an author to take so few words, so few pages, and make a short story read like full length novel?! By combining humor, fun, passion, sensuality, and witty dialogue and then not wasting a single word or thought. Zathyn Priest is one of those writers who has an innate ability to draw on a reader’s emotions right along with the characters.

Alexander Bell, yes you heard that right,...more
Bev

This was really funny short from Mr Priest, and has made me buy even more of his books!

Alex was having one of those days when nothing was going right. His alarm went off an hour early, the dog ate last of cereal, the cat decides to jump into fish tank, no clean laundry, flat tyre on car.....you get the picture. Then he gets to work at Bell's Chiropractics, a partnership with his father, and discovers that the usual receptionist is missing, and has been replaced by Janet, who is extremely hormona...more
Heller
Well.

This was an unexpectedly intense story. I was thinking it was going to be a lighter sort of revenge reunion but the trauma that Ric put Alex through in highschool was almost something that you can't come back from in any kind of healthy way.

Thankfully this had a good grovel element because it was definitely needed.

There were a lot of heavy emotions going on here but it didn't feel like a heavy story, I found there was a nice balance of humour and chemistry to lighten things up a bit. I'm...more
Vio
I had tears of laughter throughout what a great engaging story, very appealing a fast sweet little gem. Zathyn Priest definitely knows how to spin a tale a very talented writer!

Edit: Read the new and improved version with the amazing visuals love the art plus we get that hilarious ending. I am so with Alex they do watch and stalk you creepy lol!
Macky ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
This is a little gem. I loved everything about this story. The banter between Alex and Janet his caustic sarky nurse asets the books humour up perfectly! Then the story really takes off when his school bully nemesis , Ric Saunders walks into his practice and sets of a chain of events that had me smiling like a silly fool,all the way through! Alex can't believe that Rics appeared back in his life, and the first meeting when Ric, who doesn't recognise Alex straight away, is laugh out loud. Then wa...more
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
3.5 Stars!

Sweet, sexy and funny....

"Bad boy doctor, who turned from an ugly duckling into a swan, does handsome straight football captain who turns gay at the mere sight of his irresistible chiropractor."

....novella!!

"Ric and I are a match made in heaven, even though I originally met my angel in hell!

Free here.....

Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
A charming and thoroughly enjoyable short had me laughing but also cooing and all gushy. I liked the forgiveness theme that this story presents and that kids can be cruel to each other but people can change to be better people.
Xandra
Feb 03, 2012 Xandra rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
Oh, please! A guy falling for his high school bully after seeing him for the first time in eight years? Yeah, 'cause there’s nothing more romantic than jumping into bed with the guy who used to steal your lunch, rip up your homework, write “Alex is a fat fag” on your locker and flush your head down the toilet more than once. So what if you felt ugly and cried yourself to sleep at night and had panic attacks just thinking about school?

Maybe I am more unforgiving than others, but if my high schoo...more
Sheziss

This is hysterical! I laughed so much I underlined half of my kindle reading it. This book is perfect if you are stuck in your reading, if you are tired of the same story, if you are down or if you want to laugh for the sake of it. It’s like the degreaser after swallowing tons of bacon or taking your shoes off after half a day walking, a relieve of everything else!

“Expect to hear a whole lot of bones crunching and cracking.”
He stared at me wordlessly. For a moment he seemed scared until his bl
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Review after second read:

I loved this short story. So cute and it was really funny.

Read third time on 02/04/12

I love this story! It’s short but so funny and sweet. I wish it were longer of course but still Alex is just so funny and loveable and adult Ric is ok. It is a free story and I recommend it to everyone....more
Natasha
I read this story relatively quickly before best last night, and let me say, I was howling like a jackal while reading it. It's absolutely hilarious, especially the beginning.
If you're having a bad day, read this book, it will pick you back up!

First read- may 30th 2013.
Isabel
I'm delighted with this book! It's hilarious, sexy, hot, sweet... perfect!

One of those days that starts terribly, ends with a night of passion and love!

Saritza
Aug 04, 2009 Saritza rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I saw this story reviewed by several of my friends on GoodReads and it was receiving such praise, I had to check it out. Much to my delight, it's not only a delicious read, it's a FREE one too.

A quick short fic that will have you laughing and squirming in your seat!

Summary: When Alex wakes up one morning, and everything starts to go wrong, he knows it’s going to be one of those days. Things get worse when his high school bully, captain of the football team and meathead extraordinaire, Ric Saund
Major English (Laura)
This free online story is available here: Click Here

This is a high school bully turns into lover story. I don't know how I feel about that as a whole... I mean Ric really seems like an intense bully who even sent Alex to the hospital... I don't really know how you could enter into a romantic relationship with someone who did that to you (and on the first date, no less...) but I liked this story and there were definitely a few laugh out loud moments. Especially when Alex is talking about Casabl...more
Shakisha
This Author is talented in so many ways.

Really loved this!

Must read.
Arthur
I read this long time ago, but still remember many things about it. The main one is the MC's name. What kind of parents, whose last name is Bell, actually named their son Alexander?

Alex was a chiropractor. He was bullied by Ric in high school. So when Ric stepped in his clinic, Alex tried to reschedule him with other chiropractor. With uncooperative secretary, no luck. Ric didn't recognize him at first, which gave Alex an advantage. When finally Ric did, could Alex escaped from his charm?

Among...more
Deeze
A short sweet funny as hell little romance.

The begining of this short fic had me laughing out loud. Later on it had me choking up.You may find the subject of a vicious bully and his victim falling in love to far fetched to believe in, and I guess in reality it is, although they do say fact is stranger than fiction, but in a fictional story this was perfectly reasonable and totally sweet.

Alex is an adorable Pedantic/Anally retentive young guy that went from ugly duckling into beautiful swan, and...more
Trix
It was an ok story, though I was expecting more.

Alex seemed very childish with an attitude definitely meant for high school hallways, not a 26 years old man seemingly achieved in all aspects. It was hard picturing a man with his personal and professional life so organised turn into a floundering teenager. And if his high school years were so awful, I expected Alex to despise Ric (Dick) not switch between throwing accusations at him and suddenly realising how hot and perfect he is.

While there wer...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This was such an adorably funny story. I loved the way Alex freaked out over seeing his childhood bully. He has such a snarky attitude and it was hilarious seeing him trying to get revenge on Ric then it backfiring on him. His being a klutz around Ric was even more endearing especially with the way Ric was trying to make amends for his behavior when they were younger.

Definitely something I'm going to be re-reading and recommending to those in need of a sweet, quick and funny read that will leav...more
SamJ
Have to say, this was a lot better than I expected given the length. It managed to pack quite a punch.

Alex is having a bad day, everything going wrong, when his old School Bully walks into his office - Ric.

"I picked up a pen, clicking it furiously with my thumb like I do when I’m angry or nervous.
“Do you prefer to be called Richard or Dick?”
“Ric.”
“Dick? I’ll make a note of that on your file.” I spoke aloud as I wrote. “Patient prefers to be
called Dick.”
“No, Ric.”
“Have you ever been to a chirop
Monika
This short had me laughing right through to the end, if not outright laughing a smile never left my face. What a sweet, funny, quick read that I wish was longer. I know for some a story where the bullied and his tormentor fall for each other seems an unlikely scenario but somehow Zathyn Priest makes this work. This is fiction and once in a while we need to let go of what would be unlikely in real life and just enjoy the story!

Free online read that I highly recommend!
Perpetua
Favourite quote:

In my infinite wisdom I’ve learned to never argue with a PMSing woman. It usually always ends in tears. Generally mine. Janet started humming. When she hums I know it means I should avoid eye contact, conversation, weak jokes I presume may cheer her up, and, if at all possible, refrain from breathing the same air as her.

LMAO! This is something my hubbie lives by!!
Erica Pike
What a delightful read! I read it while waiting for my car at the repair shop and kept grinning and giggling like a crazy person. People were totally giving me these weird glances. The writing is excellent and very fluent and the characters wonderful. I'll definitely read more from this author.
Candice
4.5 stars.

This was such a wonderful, sweet and funny story, but way to short. Poor Alex was having such a bad day, but turned out so well in the end. Loved his quirkiness, so very adorable. This is definitely one that I will reread when I want a quick, funny read.
Katherine
This was a really good short story. I loved the humor and emotion.
Nic
This is a fabulous short story full of humour but tackling some pretty serious issues resulting from bullying. Quite a unique approach showing Ric's perspective and how his actions had impacted his life. It is a story about turning your life around, from both men's perspective, and second chances.

This graphic version contained wonderful illustrations that were like happy little surprises when the page was turned. Often I don't like illustrations as they don't match the characters as I imagine th...more
  • Fanning the Flames (The Match Before Christmas, #2)
  • Sno Ho (Sno Ho, #1)
  • Bridges (Bridges, #1)
  • The Mis-adventures of a Teenage Mark
  • Go Fish
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • Delivery with a Smile
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Aftermath (Glitterland, #1.5)
  • El Presidio Rides North
  • Dirty Pirate
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Take My Picture
  • Sink or Swim
  • Inseparable (Inseparable #1)
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • Time After Time (Zero at the Bone, #1.2)
  • Got Mistletoe?
Zathyn Priest is an Australian writer with severe vampiric tendencies. Absolutely convinced the sun could turn him to a pile of ash, Zathyn prefers to write under the cover of darkness. This serves two purposes, with the first being the afore mentioned sunlight danger, and the second being the fact that nighttime means no annoying phones ringing or people knocking at the door.

Zathyn has written t...more
More about Zathyn Priest...
The Curtis Reincarnation The Slayer's Apprentice Left of Centre Liquid Glass The Statue

“Had your eyes tested?”
“Yeah. My vision’s fine. They’ve done brain scans, too.”
“Did they find anything?”
“Nothing.”
“Why doesn’t that surprise me?”
17 likes
“Do you prefer to be called Richard or Dick?”
“Ric.”
“Dick? I'll make a note of that on your file.” I spoke aloud as I wrote. “Patient prefers to be called Dick.”
13 likes