Start by marking “Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)” as Want to Read:
Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)

Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (Dykes to Watch Out For #10)

Change is afoot as the best-selling "Dykes to Watch Out For" series moves to Alyson. Alison Bechdel continues to illuminate the way we live through the comic strip serial that has become a national treasure. In the tenth book in the series, Mo, the curmudgeonly women's bookstore clerk, blithely rants about Dr. Laura, Donald Rumsfeld, gay Enron execs, and the pernicious eff ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Alyson Books (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For

Ricky
Apr 11, 2011 Ricky rated it it was amazing
I died a little knowing this is the last Bechdel on Joanna's bookshelf.
Important questions: how does she make comic characters so sexy? how stereotypical of me is it to dislike the straight guy character? is it sad that I'm psychoanalyzing Bechdel based on the father characters in this and Fun Home?
in other news, I did nothing these last couple of days but read these 4 books.
happy!
Darlene
Apr 25, 2014 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Darlene by: Alison Bechdel
This was a fast read for me. Having read the Essential Dykes to Watch Out For, I found many of the strips repeated here. Or is it the other way around? I think this was written first. actually. But it was nice that there were some unique strips in this book. I especially liked the longer last on in the book giving us a deeper understanding of the characters and what they were going through.

Now that I have read this one I feel I want to read all the Dykes to Watch Out For as I can see there are a
J.P.
Mar 29, 2012 J.P. rated it really liked it
Dykes to Watch Out For is possibly one of my favorite "comic" strips ever. If you've never read it, look for a copy of Essential Dykes to Watch Out For. You won't be able to put it down. Also check out Bechdel's Fun Home!
Nathanielk
Jul 25, 2007 Nathanielk rated it really liked it
Not sure what it says about me, but I have read most of the books in this series and enjoyed every one. Have fun figuring out which Dyke you most clearly resemble.
Juliana
Mar 17, 2009 Juliana rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt, feminist, comics
Entertaining, although the political humor is of course a bit dated by now. This was the first time I'd read Dykes to Watch Out for after hearing recommendations for years, and I enjoyed it.
Maggie
Mar 03, 2014 Maggie rated it really liked it
This may have been a funny place to start with Bechdel's comic strip, many years into its existence, but I really enjoyed this volume, which seems to encompass much of 200-2002. Being so young when the events in question took place, it was really interesting to see the way that the characters in the comic (some much like people I know now) reacted to the 2000 election season, 9/11, and the succeeding invasions. This volume really made me want to go back and start from the beginning of Dykes to W ...more
Bryan
Jul 01, 2007 Bryan rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised to love this book after being disappointed with Fun Home. Like Seth, Alison Bechdel seems to work at higher level when in a less serious mode. The pretension and tediuosness of Fun Home abandoned, she works wonders with the Dykes To Watch Out For, the strip she has bene drawing for 20+ years. The characters feel familiar and real, flawed and beautiful. The stories are funny and touching. Highly recommended!
Bey Raines
Feb 19, 2014 Bey Raines rated it it was amazing
I picked this up off a friend's desk yesterday. I'd never heard of Alison Bechdel or this comic series, but I'm so glad I've found it now. I read this straight through. I loved everything about this book, the writing, the art, and especially the characters. This is one of those books where the characters are so real and likable that I wish I could crawl right into the pages and be part of their world. Great stuff. I'm going to have to read more of Alison Bechdel's series.
Julie Rylie
Sep 29, 2014 Julie Rylie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
Gayle Francis Moffet
Sep 01, 2016 Gayle Francis Moffet rated it really liked it
Having never read any of Dykes to Watch Out For, I ended up diving in on the deep end by grabbing a random collection at the library. I'm so glad I did. This book is a wonderful collection of real emotion, humanity, the intricacies of friendship and romantic relationships, and just day-to-day living. It's a warm, honest book.
Raina
Nov 03, 2008 Raina rated it liked it
Great political commentary by the creator of Fun Home. Very current issues, and a little L-word style interpersonal drama too. Don't think I'll track down the earliest DTWOF (1984), as I'm not sure I could relate to the political commentary. But I'm definitely reading the compilation coming out this year, and this one, from 2000-2002 I could totally connect with.
Lee
Dec 25, 2012 Lee rated it it was amazing
Published in 2003, this 'Dykes to Watch Out For' installment was a great glance back. I feel, in many ways, like I lived these stories (view spoiler). My feelings about the appointment of George W. Bush to the presidency were nearly perfectly captured here. Ahhhh memories!
Debs
Jun 29, 2008 Debs rated it liked it
Not the best of the collection, not the worst. Interesting to see the gang deal with September 11, but, I guess I'm not ready to deal with it with my favorite cartoon characters.

Heard Bechdel is writing another graphic novel...looking forward to that.

Anthony
Feb 09, 2010 Anthony rated it liked it

I think that lady Bechdel is funny, witty and hip. But this book is only so-so. It's like being a voyeur and only getting to watch people eat breakfast. Sure, it's interesting that they butter their toast with Crisco, but that's really all there is to see.
Dakota
Nov 05, 2013 Dakota rated it liked it
Storytelling, humor-slinging Alison Bechdel drives this comic compilation with funny, snarky interchanges, gender politics and tender moments of love between partners. I enjoyed it.
Madeleine Fletcher
For light reading, I have enjoyed this book and others in this same series by this author.
Shanna
Jan 19, 2008 Shanna rated it liked it
I just kept comparing these comics to Fun Home. Not the same.
Thankful
Jul 27, 2013 Thankful rated it it was amazing
As usual, a very solid entry from Alison Bechdel! Always a great read.
James
Can't finish because daughter has it. :)
Shannon
Jul 23, 2008 Shannon rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels, queer
Lame. Didn't really read it all, or try to read very much of it, really. It's not interesting though, and not really my thing. Also.. I hate the illustrations.
Jeffrey
Jul 11, 2007 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, lgbt
This lady--she's funny. The section on George W. Bush getting reelected is particularly hilarious.
Lisa
Apr 14, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great book by Bechdel which continues the series...
Lisa
Feb 18, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
more comic than graphic novel.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2008
J. Rogue
J. Rogue rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2008
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2009
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2011
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Crazyej
Crazyej rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2010
AJ Williams
AJ Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
  • The Complete Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
  • My Sweet Untraceable You (Lauren Laurano, #3)
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 12: Heart In Hand
  • Jokes and the Unconscious: A Graphic Novel
  • Hungry Ghost (Tales of the Pack, #2)
  • Rent Girl
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • How To Go To Hell
  • Perla la Loca (Locas, #3)
  • 7 Miles a Second
21982
Alison Bechdel is an American cartoonist. Originally best known for the long-running comic strip Dykes To Watch Out For, in 2006 she became a best-selling and critically acclaimed author with her graphic memoir Fun Home.
More about Alison Bechdel...

Dykes to Watch Out For (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #1)
  • More Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #2)
  • New, Improved! Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #3)
  • Dykes to Watch Out For: The Sequel (DtWOF, #4)
  • Spawn of Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #5)
  • Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #6)
  • Hot, Throbbing Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #7)
  • Split-Level Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #8)
  • Post Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #9)
  • Invasion of the Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #11)