Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)

Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (Dykes to Watch Out For #10)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  426 ratings  ·  23 reviews

Change is afoot as the best-selling Dykes to Watch Out For series moves to Alyson. Alison Bechdel continues to illuminate the way we live through the comic strip serial that has become a national treasure. In the tenth book in the series, Mo, the curmudgeonly women’s bookstore clerk, blithely rants about Dr. Laura, Donald Rumsfeld, gay Enron execs, and the pernicious effe

Published October 1st 2003 by Alyson Books (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls WilderNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichSilver Borne by Patricia BriggsThe Silver Chair by C.S. LewisIron Kissed by Patricia Briggs
Periodic Table Elements in Titles
34th out of 190 books — 9 voters
Fun Home by Alison BechdelThe Essential Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison BechdelAre You My Mother? by Alison BechdelLe bleu est une couleur chaude by Julie MarohSkim by Mariko Tamaki
Best Lesbian Graphic Novels
70th out of 82 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

Erica
I died a little knowing this is the last Bechdel on Joanna's bookshelf.
Important questions: how does she make comic characters so sexy? how stereotypical of me is it to dislike the straight guy character? is it sad that I'm psychoanalyzing Bechdel based on the father characters in this and Fun Home?
in other news, I did nothing these last couple of days but read these 4 books.
happy!
Darlene
Apr 28, 2014 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Darlene by: Alison Bechdel
This was a fast read for me. Having read the Essential Dykes to Watch Out For, I found many of the strips repeated here. Or is it the other way around? I think this was written first. actually. But it was nice that there were some unique strips in this book. I especially liked the longer last on in the book giving us a deeper understanding of the characters and what they were going through.

Now that I have read this one I feel I want to read all the Dykes to Watch Out For as I can see there are a...more
J.P.
Dykes to Watch Out For is possibly one of my favorite "comic" strips ever. If you've never read it, look for a copy of Essential Dykes to Watch Out For. You won't be able to put it down. Also check out Bechdel's Fun Home!
Juliana
Entertaining, although the political humor is of course a bit dated by now. This was the first time I'd read Dykes to Watch Out for after hearing recommendations for years, and I enjoyed it.
Nathanielk
Not sure what it says about me, but I have read most of the books in this series and enjoyed every one. Have fun figuring out which Dyke you most clearly resemble.
Maggie
This may have been a funny place to start with Bechdel's comic strip, many years into its existence, but I really enjoyed this volume, which seems to encompass much of 200-2002. Being so young when the events in question took place, it was really interesting to see the way that the characters in the comic (some much like people I know now) reacted to the 2000 election season, 9/11, and the succeeding invasions. This volume really made me want to go back and start from the beginning of Dykes to W...more
Jaime
So funny!
Bey Raines
I picked this up off a friend's desk yesterday. I'd never heard of Alison Bechdel or this comic series, but I'm so glad I've found it now. I read this straight through. I loved everything about this book, the writing, the art, and especially the characters. This is one of those books where the characters are so real and likable that I wish I could crawl right into the pages and be part of their world. Great stuff. I'm going to have to read more of Alison Bechdel's series.
Bryan
I was pleasantly surprised to love this book after being disappointed with Fun Home. Like Seth, Alison Bechdel seems to work at higher level when in a less serious mode. The pretension and tediuosness of Fun Home abandoned, she works wonders with the Dykes To Watch Out For, the strip she has bene drawing for 20+ years. The characters feel familiar and real, flawed and beautiful. The stories are funny and touching. Highly recommended!
Raina
Great political commentary by the creator of Fun Home. Very current issues, and a little L-word style interpersonal drama too. Don't think I'll track down the earliest DTWOF (1984), as I'm not sure I could relate to the political commentary. But I'm definitely reading the compilation coming out this year, and this one, from 2000-2002 I could totally connect with.
Leslie
Published in 2003, this 'Dykes to Watch Out For' installment was a great glance back. I feel, in many ways, like I lived these stories (view spoiler). My feelings about the appointment of George W. Bush to the presidency were nearly perfectly captured here. Ahhhh memories!
Anthony

I think that lady Bechdel is funny, witty and hip. But this book is only so-so. It's like being a voyeur and only getting to watch people eat breakfast. Sure, it's interesting that they butter their toast with Crisco, but that's really all there is to see.
Debs
Not the best of the collection, not the worst. Interesting to see the gang deal with September 11, but, I guess I'm not ready to deal with it with my favorite cartoon characters.

Heard Bechdel is writing another graphic novel...looking forward to that.

Dakota
Storytelling, humor-slinging Alison Bechdel drives this comic compilation with funny, snarky interchanges, gender politics and tender moments of love between partners. I enjoyed it.
Shannon
Lame. Didn't really read it all, or try to read very much of it, really. It's not interesting though, and not really my thing. Also.. I hate the illustrations.
Madeleine Fletcher
For light reading, I have enjoyed this book and others in this same series by this author.
Jeffrey
This lady--she's funny. The section on George W. Bush getting reelected is particularly hilarious.
Mary
Just a good, fun read. Alison Bechdel's got a great sense of humor, and it definitely shows here.
Thankful
As usual, a very solid entry from Alison Bechdel! Always a great read.
Kiera
Aug 24, 2007 Kiera rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like funny, politically engaged writing
I loved Fun Home and wanted more Bechdel. Now I'm totally hooked.
Shanna
I just kept comparing these comics to Fun Home. Not the same.
Lisa
Another great book by Bechdel which continues the series...
Lisa
more comic than graphic novel.
Beatriz
Beatriz marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Siobhain
Siobhain marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Neurotauro
Neurotauro marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Aarcanum Black
Aarcanum Black marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Cat
Cat added it
Sep 06, 2014
  • The Complete Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 9: My Child Of Rage
  • All the Wrong Places
  • Hungry Ghost (Tales of the Pack, #2)
  • Rent Girl
  • Girls, Visions and Everything: A Novel
  • S/He
  • Potential
  • Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue
  • Skin: Talking about Sex, Class and Literature
  • Perla la Loca
21982
Alison Bechdel is an American cartoonist. Originally best known for the long-running comic strip Dykes To Watch Out For, in 2006 she became a best-selling and critically acclaimed author with her graphic memoir Fun Home.
More about Alison Bechdel...
Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic Are You My Mother? The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #1) More Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #2)