Start by marking “The Mothering Coven ” as Want to Read:
The Mothering Coven

The Mothering Coven

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Fiction. Mapping a utopia on the brink, THE MOTHERING COVEN's rare blend of charisma and pyrotechnic wordplay makes for an utterly original act of storytelling. Bertrand has disappeared from the house she shared with seven women--artists, scientists, and of course, witches. As the women plan a party for Mrs. Borage's hundredth birthday, Bertrand's absence threatens to diss ...more
Published October 15th 2009 by Ellipsis Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mothering Coven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mothering Coven

Jonathan
What I love most about her writing is the prose, so I will quote the start for you here:

" Leaves used to pile on one side of the house, and now they pile on the other. The wind has changed direction. And who is subscribing to all these magazines?

Agnes closes the kitchen window. She checks the herring. No bubbles.

“The oven isn’t even on,” says Agnes.

“It must be a Bismarck,” says Mrs. Borage. “You never cook a Bismarck.”

Mrs. Borage has a logical mind. She sits in her rocking chair, snipping pictu
Justin Evans
Most surrealism is blokey and sexualized; The Mothering Coven is to surrealism what Belle and Sebastien are to cock rock. Same instruments, very, very different result. It is surrealistwee. Not a common genre, so far as I know.

I say this in part because I rarely get surrealism, and I'm not sure I get Ruocco's book; but I enjoy it *far* more than most surrealism or magical realism. The language is charmingly soporific; I learned lots of new words and about a few new people (Dorothy Canfield Fish
Eugene
somehow with none of the ego-fluffing look-at-me posturing, it combines the virtuosic vocabulary of a george perec with the referential knowledge of a PHd student in Pagan Studies all written with a style all her own but as iconoclastic and rhythmic as david markson. hopeful and smart. and all brand new. and you should most definitely try it.

"Ruocco’s Coven is an engagingly whimsical tale, graceful and inventive, with its own distinctive lexicon, reminiscent of the works of such writers as Ronal
Mark Baumer
Some lines I liked:
"The hospitaltiy industry is not more interesting than paleozoology, says Agnes, but at least I don't have a degree in it."
"Mr. Henderson has made a little pile of clay into a little pile of clay."
"Fiona eats raisin after raisin in the kitchen, but she still looks wilted."
"Mrs. Borage likes the smell of the odorizing agents. They smell like cabbage."
"Luckily, Ms. Kidney is heaving metal buckets of frosty schnapps through the trees."
Ben Bush
The nine nieces of Mrs. Borage prepare for her 100th birthday in upstate New York. Littered with references to the history of Western history, literature, science and math, the books seems in a way interested in their growing irrelevance. It's fascinating but probably not necessary to look up some of the obscure items mentioned in it. Ruocco seems very talented. Her short story collection Man's Companions might be a better starting place for an interested reader.
Tameeka
Amusing book. The style, prose, story. I chuckled when reading the great dialogue between the characters:

"Which reminds me, where is my credit card?" asks Agnes. "I should pay our back taxes."

Imaginative. Wonderful characters.
Jamie Grefe
Ruocco's novel is hypnotizing and joyful; it makes me dizzy with magic. Her sentences, paragraphs, thoughts, and images seem to come from a place of pure felicity and controlled vibrancy. I. must. read. all. of. her. books.
Marie-Therese
Marie-Therese marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Steve Owen
Steve Owen marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Caitlyn
Caitlyn marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe added it
Oct 27, 2014
T.
T. added it
Oct 21, 2014
Eric Grossman
Eric Grossman marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Kaitlin Rothberger
Kaitlin Rothberger marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Sam Moss
Sam Moss marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Ruby
Ruby marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Brott Scown
Brott Scown marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Jeremy Kitchen
Jeremy Kitchen marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Lisa Vest
Lisa Vest marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Aubry
Aubry marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Man's Companions Another Governess / The Least Blacksmith: A Diptych Dan A Compendium of Domestic Incidents The Baker's Daughter (chapbook)