Start by marking “The Hound” as Want to Read:
The Hound

H.P. Lovecraft

The Hound

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  18 reviews
H. P. Lovecraft was one of the greatest horror writers of all time. His seminal work appeared in the pages of legendary Weird Tales and has influenced countless writer of the macabre. This is one of those stories.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hound

The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. LovecraftThe Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. LovecraftThe Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H.P. LovecraftIn the Vault by H.P. LovecraftThe Shunned House by H.P. Lovecraft
H.P Lovecraft collection
12th out of 85 books — 11 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Sun Also Rises by Ernest HemingwayThe Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Best Books of the Decade: 1920's
254th out of 303 books — 539 voters

More lists with this book...

Brenda
As if I were reading Supernatural... I loved it.
Emily Ever
This was a really haunting and creepy. This is, by far, the best story I've read by H.P. Lovecraft so far. The descriptions and uncertainty that the writing left you with was really thrilling.

Lovecraft really is the master of horror, and this story proves it.

This one was amazing.
Melissa Carpentier
Lovecraft has this way of describing things that just makes the skin crawl. It's the gibbering in the dark fear that his tales inspire. The Hound in particular, even though it is so short, was just so suspenseful and morbidly creepy. Fantastic short story if you enjoy a bit of the macabre.
David
Grave robbing and an exciting, unexpected ending to boot!
Stew
great story, classic Lovecraft.
Cecil James
A nice little macabre, short story.
Godzilla
A wonderfully dark and creepy book, which builds the tension beautifully.

The characters are mere ciphers, with little flesh on the bones, this is all about the terror and fear that The Hound injects into the story.

The story twists and turns, moving across multiple locations, but all with the sense of dread and foreboding accompanying the baying in the background.

I was unsure how this was going to end, but it didn't disappoint.
Tom Webster
Still on my Lovecraft binge...still not bored :)

One of the scarier tales here as opposed to being merely weird or fantastical, good stuff indeed.
Jakob
I'd give this about 3.5 Stars. It's hard to review really short stories sometimes. I liked the atmosphere of this book the most and the story was good. There just wasn't enough room for the characters to develop.

To read my full review, go to:
Elizabeth
Graverobbing rarely leads to good consequences. Much less so if you find an amulet bearing the symbol of the necronomicon. Once again, Lovecraft tells an excellent tale of creepy, watching feelings, things going hoooowwwwwl in the night and things in the darkness hunting us down. Well worth reading, dig in.
Emily
A creepy, little story and one I quite enjoyed. The atmosphere and tension created in such a short amount of time was great and unlike The Call of Cthulhu I found that the non-description of the monster definitely added something to the story and atmosphere.
Karel
This short story y truly terrorific, Lovecraft knows his trade. I felt all the panic and sense of paranoic persecution... well, I guess it wasnt so paranoic at all, cause the Hound did hunted them all. I think I still can hear his howls. :O
Kirsten
I really liked this. I listened to an edition from Audible (not the Kindle). It had a great creepy atmosphere. I can almost see Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in a great Hammer Films adaptation!
Katie
One of the more maniacal Lovecraft stories that I have so far read and really enjoyed. Unforgettable, and what I would call one of his actual scariest tales. I had goosebumps as I finished it.
Mark Goodwin
Without saying too much, digging up old graves can be injurious to your health. One of Lovecraft's best.
Massively creepy story with the first mention of the Necronomicon. Very descriptive.
Andrew
Fun, quick read.
Beth Bailey
Beth Bailey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
  • Berenice
  • Cold Fusion
  • Metallic Dreams
  • Doctor Who: Atom Bomb Blues
  • H.P. Lovecraft (Graphic Classics, Vol 4)
  • The Dark Path
  • Doctor Who: Legacy of the Daleks
  • Doctor Who: Business Unusual
  • Love and War
  • I, Cthulhu, or, What’s A Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing In A Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9’ S, Longitude 126° 43’ W)?
  • The Ghosts of N-Space
  • In a Grove
  • Rainbow Courage
  • Reality Check
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • Doctor Who and the Pirates (Big Finish Audio Drama, #43)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time (Big Finish Audio Drama, #1)
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu