Start by marking “The Hound” as Want to Read:
The Hound

H.P. Lovecraft

The Hound

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  25 reviews
H. P. Lovecraft was one of the greatest horror writers of all time. His seminal work appeared in the pages of legendary Weird Tales and has influenced countless writer of the macabre. This is one of those stories.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hound

The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. LovecraftThe Rats in the Walls by H.P. LovecraftThe Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. LovecraftThe Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H.P. LovecraftThe Cats of Ulthar by H.P. Lovecraft
H.P Lovecraft collection
15th out of 86 books — 14 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Sun Also Rises by Ernest HemingwayThe Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Best Books of the Decade: 1920's
261st out of 311 books — 576 voters

More lists with this book...

⊱ Irena ⊰
The Hound is one of the weirdest and longest suicide letters I've read. Told in the first person by an unnamed narrator, it is a story of the last days of the two friends who were trying to beat the boredom. After a very long search, they turned to macabre and eventually the quest to end their 'devastating ennui' led them to grave robbing.

Only this time they robbed the wrong grave.
Brenda
As if I were reading Supernatural... I loved it.
Žahra Hamzeh
این خوب بود!قشنگ خوفناک و لرزه بر تن انداز مثلا!دوست داشتم ولی همچنان ترجیح میدم یه داستان طولانی تری ازش بخونم.این کوتاه هاش انگار همش یه چیزی شون کمه
Stuart Slingsby
I LOVE this story! Gothic, gruesome, ghastly and macabre, HPL's "The Hound" is filled with such classic horror imagery, it feels much more like true horror, as opposed to his typical "Cosmic Horror" which tends to read more like science fiction or fantasy to me. The narrator also being one of the few Lovecraft characters to be portrayed as immoral and not wholly undeserving of his fate, due to his perverse obsession. The rich language, vivid descriptions and ghoulish subject matter make it an en ...more
Doppelganger
Emily Ever
This was a really haunting and creepy. This is, by far, the best story I've read by H.P. Lovecraft so far. The descriptions and uncertainty that the writing left you with was really thrilling.

Lovecraft really is the master of horror, and this story proves it.

This one was amazing.
Melissa Carpentier
Lovecraft has this way of describing things that just makes the skin crawl. It's the gibbering in the dark fear that his tales inspire. The Hound in particular, even though it is so short, was just so suspenseful and morbidly creepy. Fantastic short story if you enjoy a bit of the macabre.
Louis
Mar 11, 2015 Louis rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
This felt a bit samey to me and is definitely one of Lovecraft's lesser works. By no means bad (it's still good ole H.P.) it does lack spirit (at least to me).
David
Loved the imagery and prose in this short story about a perverse "hobby" and the resulting encounter with a horrific supernatural entity.
David
Grave robbing and an exciting, unexpected ending to boot!
Stew
great story, classic Lovecraft.
Cecil James
A nice little macabre, short story.
Godzilla
A wonderfully dark and creepy book, which builds the tension beautifully.

The characters are mere ciphers, with little flesh on the bones, this is all about the terror and fear that The Hound injects into the story.

The story twists and turns, moving across multiple locations, but all with the sense of dread and foreboding accompanying the baying in the background.

I was unsure how this was going to end, but it didn't disappoint.
Tom Webster
Still on my Lovecraft binge...still not bored :)

One of the scarier tales here as opposed to being merely weird or fantastical, good stuff indeed.
Jakob
I'd give this about 3.5 Stars. It's hard to review really short stories sometimes. I liked the atmosphere of this book the most and the story was good. There just wasn't enough room for the characters to develop.

To read my full review, go to:
Elizabeth
Graverobbing rarely leads to good consequences. Much less so if you find an amulet bearing the symbol of the necronomicon. Once again, Lovecraft tells an excellent tale of creepy, watching feelings, things going hoooowwwwwl in the night and things in the darkness hunting us down. Well worth reading, dig in.
Emily
A creepy, little story and one I quite enjoyed. The atmosphere and tension created in such a short amount of time was great and unlike The Call of Cthulhu I found that the non-description of the monster definitely added something to the story and atmosphere.
Karel
This short story y truly terrorific, Lovecraft knows his trade. I felt all the panic and sense of paranoic persecution... well, I guess it wasnt so paranoic at all, cause the Hound did hunted them all. I think I still can hear his howls. :O
Kirsten
I really liked this. I listened to an edition from Audible (not the Kindle). It had a great creepy atmosphere. I can almost see Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in a great Hammer Films adaptation!
Katie
One of the more maniacal Lovecraft stories that I have so far read and really enjoyed. Unforgettable, and what I would call one of his actual scariest tales. I had goosebumps as I finished it.
Mark Goodwin
Without saying too much, digging up old graves can be injurious to your health. One of Lovecraft's best.
Massively creepy story with the first mention of the Necronomicon. Very descriptive.
Andrew
Fun, quick read.
Inna Shpitzberg
Inna Shpitzberg marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
  • Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
  • The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
  • I, Cthulhu, or, What’s A Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing In A Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9’ S, Longitude 126° 43’ W)?
  • Cold Fusion
  • The Dark Path
  • Doctor Who: Business Unusual
  • Doctor Who: Atom Bomb Blues
  • Metallic Dreams
  • Love and War
  • Doctor Who: Legacy of the Daleks
  • The Fairy Tale Of The Green Snake And The Beautiful Lily
  • The Children's Crusade (The Books of Magic, #3)
  • The Burial of the Rats
  • Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume III
  • Doctor Who: The Natural History of Fear (Big Finish Audio Drama, #54)
  • Doctor Who: Neverland (Big Finish Audio Drama, #33)
  • Doctor Who: Embrace the Darkness (Big Finish Audio Drama #31)
  • Doctor Who: The Rescue
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu