Start by marking “The Hound” as Want to Read:
The Hound

The Hound

H. P. Lovecraft was one of the greatest horror writers of all time. His seminal work appeared in the pages of legendary Weird Tales and has influenced countless writer of the macabre. This is one of those stories.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published February 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hound

Glenn Russell
May 30, 2015 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Wearied with the commonplaces of a prosaic world, where even the joys of romance and adventure soon grow stale, St. John and I had followed enthusiastically every aesthetic and intellectual movement which promised respite from our devastating ennui." So begins this tale of Lovecraft horror. Most unfortunately, this has been a huge ongoing issue in the West, particularly the modern West: how to deal with one’s boredom. There is hardly a novel written in 19th century Europe where at least one cha
Dimitris
Oct 21, 2015 Dimitris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why should any horror story lover read The Hound? Because it marks the first appearance of one of Lovecraft's most famous literary creations—the forbidden book known as the Necronomicon! MWA HA HA!!!
description
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Mar 29, 2015 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Hound is one of the weirdest and longest suicide letters I've read. Told in the first person by an unnamed narrator, it is a story of the last days of the two friends who were trying to beat the boredom. After a very long search, they turned to macabre and eventually the quest to end their 'devastating ennui' led them to grave robbing.

Only this time they robbed the wrong grave.
Brenda
Sep 28, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, to-own
As if I were reading Supernatural...
I loved it!!!
 Дарья
That ending..
Annathelle26
Mar 12, 2016 Annathelle26 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-thriller
That was the creepiest, most ghastly thing I've ever read, and it was perfect.
The atmosphere, the vivid descriptions and the way the story unfolded really made my hair rise.
It was an amazing horror experience, narrated in just ten, thrilling pages.
Nothing else to say.
Claire Ulthar Sideral
Cuidado con los amuletos malditos y más si tienen que ver con el "Necronomicón". O algo innombrable te perseguirá hasta el día de tu muerte. <3
Jay
Aug 17, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing
Baal Of
Dec 04, 2016 Baal Of rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror, weird
Grave-robbing and its consequences. A solid yarn, including references to the Necronomicon.
Žahra Hamzeh
Apr 27, 2015 Žahra Hamzeh rated it really liked it
این خوب بود!قشنگ خوفناک و لرزه بر تن انداز مثلا!دوست داشتم ولی همچنان ترجیح میدم یه داستان طولانی تری ازش بخونم.این کوتاه هاش انگار همش یه چیزی شون کمه
Marco
Dec 26, 2014 Marco rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Two late 19th century Englishmen fashion themselves "Decadent". Their adventures grow in scope and outrage, until they eventually turn to grave robbery. One night the two go to a graveyard in Holland where somebody has lain buried for five centuries. Legend says their spiritual comrade stole a potent artifact from a "mighty sepulcher". Under ideal artistic conditions of a pale autumn moon, crumbling slabs, ivied church, phosphorescent insects and strangely large bats, they dig. The nightwind car ...more
John Cesarone
Feb 17, 2016 John Cesarone rated it really liked it
SPOILERS!!! Tale told by HPL's typical first-person nameless narrator, this time a grave-robbing art and memorabilia collector, along with a partner (“st. john”). They collect ghoulish treasures for their little hidden museum. But when they steal a secret jade amulet from a five century old grave in Holland, they become haunted by a huge, unseen hound. St. John is shredded on the moors. The narrator tries to return the amulet to the grave, but it is stolen from him before he can return it. Oh no ...more
Yani Daniele
Oct 14, 2015 Yani Daniele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Otros de los cuentos de Lovecraft, lo que tiene de particular este autor no es el terror en sí, sino la atmósfera densa, opresiva, los detalles escalofriantes que rodean a los personajes que viven estas historias. En el sabueso, esta atmósfera esta representada por un aullido lejano de un gran sabueso que acecha a sus victimas, victimas no del todo inocentes. Una detallada descripción de las cosas que rodean al narrador y su amigo St John es lo que crea un ambiente que nos pone los pelos de punt ...more
Stuart Slingsby
Apr 13, 2015 Stuart Slingsby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this story! Gothic, gruesome, ghastly and macabre, HPL's "The Hound" is filled with such classic horror imagery, it feels much more like true horror, as opposed to his typical "Cosmic Horror" which tends to read more like science fiction or fantasy to me. The narrator also being one of the few Lovecraft characters to be portrayed as immoral and not wholly undeserving of his fate, due to his perverse obsession. The rich language, vivid descriptions and ghoulish subject matter make it an en ...more
Kevin J.J. Carpenter
If there's one thing you can count on Lovecraft to do with enticing grace, it's building atmosphere. This is wonderful example of his unique prose, that warps reality in a maelstrom of hysteria, but stretches it so far, he brings it back around and settles it firmly within our world. These account read like memoirs of real people of yore, and that is their beauty: The lines of fiction and reality are blurred.

There's some great stuff here, much of it surrounding the fabled Necronomicon, so casual
Dione Basseri
Okay, let's just...not steal from graves. Lesson learned. Many. Many times. Because the main story element his is so common in literature. Yes, it's Lovecraft, but there's better stories among his works, and I've read better "cursed grave" type stories.

Of course, this being Lovecraft, the main characters are obsessed with eldritch horrors, and the item they take is connected. But the following torments are pretty standard.

This story is out of copyright, so you can get it free from many sources.
Mary-Jean Harris
Creepy, but cool. I didn't find this too scary per se, but it was kind of disturbing. I would have liked to know why the main characters went into this obsession with grave robbing, but it is quite a short story, so perhaps that's understandable. I would have also liked to see more occult stuff to do with the amulet. The description is very good though, and you can definitely feel the fear of the main character as mysterious beings of darkness close in around him.
Godzilla
Apr 24, 2012 Godzilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012, kindle
A wonderfully dark and creepy book, which builds the tension beautifully.

The characters are mere ciphers, with little flesh on the bones, this is all about the terror and fear that The Hound injects into the story.

The story twists and turns, moving across multiple locations, but all with the sense of dread and foreboding accompanying the baying in the background.

I was unsure how this was going to end, but it didn't disappoint.
Doppelganger
Mar 09, 2015 Doppelganger rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Graverobbing rarely leads to good consequences. Much less so if you find an amulet bearing the symbol of the necronomicon. Once again, Lovecraft tells an excellent tale of creepy, watching feelings, things going hoooowwwwwl in the night and things in the darkness hunting us down. Well worth reading, dig in.
Ebster Davis
Jun 26, 2015 Ebster Davis rated it liked it
I think this was a really well constructed short story.

These two thrill seekers decide to shake things up by becoming grave robbers. They're really dispicable people, so you don't feel too badly for what happes to them.

The whole time I was waiting for a dog to pop out and eat him, but that didn't happen.
Kylie
Jul 20, 2016 Kylie rated it really liked it
Considering this story is nearly 100 years old, it speaks to the world we currently live - where-in so many people seek out the dark, creepy, and disgusting aspects of death for amusement. Those that do should be careful what they play with. There is a reason death is so mysterious and alluring - no one comes back alive to tell what's out there.
Erica Gaussa
Dec 12, 2015 Erica Gaussa rated it really liked it
Lovecraft's, "The Hound" is gripping and mysterious, yet fell short for me (pun intended :P) If only it was more lengthy of a read, giving more history and detail, i could have spared another star for a grand total of a perfect 5, rather than its current mark of 4. The potential was there! if only it had been longer. Fantastic story though :)
Alyssa
Again, audiobook, same narrator. Didn't enjoy this story as much as I did Call of Cthulhu. It feels very Poe-influenced to me? And it was kinda gross at times. I don't really go in for gross horror. :\
Melissa Carpentier
Apr 07, 2014 Melissa Carpentier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Lovecraft has this way of describing things that just makes the skin crawl. It's the gibbering in the dark fear that his tales inspire. The Hound in particular, even though it is so short, was just so suspenseful and morbidly creepy. Fantastic short story if you enjoy a bit of the macabre.
Emily Ever
Jul 10, 2014 Emily Ever rated it really liked it
This was a really haunting and creepy. This is, by far, the best story I've read by H.P. Lovecraft so far. The descriptions and uncertainty that the writing left you with was really thrilling.

Lovecraft really is the master of horror, and this story proves it.

This one was amazing.
Denise
Dec 03, 2015 Denise rated it it was ok
With nods to Poe, this is written about two young bored Englishmen who take to grave robbing. One day, they rob the wrong grave and it comes back to bite them.

Please read the full review here.
Karel
Dec 26, 2013 Karel rated it really liked it
This short story y truly terrorific, Lovecraft knows his trade. I felt all the panic and sense of paranoic persecution... well, I guess it wasnt so paranoic at all, cause the Hound did hunted them all. I think I still can hear his howls. :O
Emily
Nov 13, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A creepy, little story and one I quite enjoyed. The atmosphere and tension created in such a short amount of time was great and unlike The Call of Cthulhu I found that the non-description of the monster definitely added something to the story and atmosphere.
  • Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
  • The Spider
  • The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
  • Popsy
  • Metallic Dreams
  • In a Grove
  • I, Cthulhu, or, What’s a Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing in a Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9′ S, Longitude 126° 43′ W)?
  • A Pail of Air
  • The Burial of the Rats
  • The Last Rakosh
  • In the Land of the Blind
  • Doctor Who: Cold Fusion
  • Dark Mirror (A Tale from The Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • The Lady or the Tiger
  • The Shot
  • The Supernatural Tales of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Doctor Who: Atom Bomb Blues
  • Doctor Who: Legacy of the Daleks
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...