Start by marking “Time For A Change” as Want to Read:
Time For A Change

Erica James

Time For A Change

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When Hilary Parker discovers that her husband is having an affair, she is not sure what to do. Should she turn the other cheek, like her friend Cindy, confront her husband, as the outspoken Georgia advises, or have an affair herself?
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Time For A Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time For A Change

Claire (Cem)
How is it that you can love and adore one book, and yet barely get through another by the same author?

I have loved some of Erica James's other novels, but this one I struggled with. For starters it switched around all the characters too fast for my tastes, and I kept feeling like there should have been a book before this one, introducing various people and all their connections. I kept getting confused as to who was who, and to whom!

Some of the characters were great, others were simply annoying
Rachel Gilbey
I've read loads of books by Erica James and they were all a lot better than this one.

There was nothing overly wrong with it, I just didn't really like the main characters, and kept getting confused with who was who.

I just found Hilary to be utterly spineless and incapable to make any decision for herself.

If you haven't read an Erica James book before, then please don't use this one to introduce yourself to this author.
Hany Zala Dragneel
i have to be honest . this book was quite a bore to me . the story was supposed to be great . the only thing that made it a bore was having so many events that kept on popping out and giving you so many useless scenes to read . the main conflict is always being put-off because of these annoying things making the whole story sooo boring . . i don't know if you'll like it or not but if you'll ask me , I'm not recommending this book to those who want a really good story to read for leisure . .
Kim Solleder
I really like Erica James books but this one wasnt that great for me, I nearly didnt finish reading it,,, but since I do like Erica James, I carried on through,,, the story was ok, a bit patchy at times, and too many characters that i got confused whos who,,, it could have been because it was one of her earlier books,, but everyone who likes Erica James will make up their own mind,
Nikki
Time for a Change begins with a scene familiar to most readers of domestic fiction: the protagonist discovering apparent evidence of her husband's infidelity. In the course of the book, she will discover much about herself, her children, and even her husband; make new friends; and deal with the usual irritants of the tiresome in-laws, the snotty women of the PTA, etc. Set in a village in Cheshire, the book also has many other enjoyable characters and subplots ranging from a sister's upcoming wed ...more
Vanessa
Really good! It wasn't as good as Queen of New Beginnings but it was still really really good! It was the end than captured it for me! The actual story itself leading up to the end was a but long and slow but the end was excellent and I am a true Erica James fan now! I can't wait to get started on another!
Sarah Johnston
An enjoyable light read following the characters from an earlier novel 'A Breath of Fresh Air.
Laura Dobb
How can you love a book by an author and really dislike another book by the same author. This book has taken me over a week to read (I usually read a book in a day or two) but this book was so slow all the way through. I understand she THINKS her husband is having an affair, but either get over it and tell him, or just leave, stop twoing and frowing on the matter. I did finish the book, but I can honestly say, I will not be picking this book back up, and am now thinking 'the real Katie lavender' ...more
Janet
ahhh... families and small villages!! Truly enjoy Ericas style of writing ...
Heelqueen
this book started off good enough but it didnt really go anywhere. bit dull and not very exciting.
Carol Peace
A compelling story about life in a small village. The trials and tribulations of everyday life and the comical sabotage the ladies try to stop the newsagent selling a little bit more than top shelf magazines. They definately do not think lingerie is appropriate.
Hilary Parker seems to have it all until her husband slips up one night when he is talking in his sleep. She can not decide whether to pretend she doesn't know or confront him.Maybe she decides it would be a good idea to have a dalliance
Cooksontaylor
Not my favourite Erica James, kept thinking it would get better but unfortunately it didn't.
Sue
This is a sequel to 'A breath of fresh air'. Hilary suspects her husband David of having an affair, and the book features them and their neighbours from a new perspective. Ending rather predictable, but the book was well-written and enjoyable for a light read. (review after reading for the first time in 2000)

Enjoyed all the more on second time of reading, eight years later, when I had quite forgotten the ending and didn't think it predictable any more!
Aileen
Hilary Parker is happily married to Estate Agent David they have 2 children. Until one day Hilary suspects David of having an Affair what does she do say nothing and carry on? Or confront him and risk losing him and the children? She meets gorgeous Nick Bradshaw but he she tempted to become more than friends? I enjoyed most of this book, but I did get quite bored with the characters at times, however I found it to be a quick read.
Chrissi
This book didn't take very long to read. It's quite addictive and not very long. The story involves a lady who seems completely perfect and to have everything. Her life changes when she thinks that her husband is having an affair. This isn't my favourite book from Erica James. I didn't connect as much with the characters compared to her usual writing. It's still worth a read though if you're a fan of her work.
Whilst I still prefer 'A Breath of Fresh Air', this book (the only sequel James has done) is still enchanting, making you want to snuggle up in a duvet on a horrible February day. It is emotional, but perhaps not as much as James' later books, but you still feel deep sympathy with the main character's dilemma. The comedy aspect of this story, however, is brilliant! I think that is what makes the book so magical.
Teresa
It was ok - I didn't like it as much as some of her other books. The central protagonist got on my nerves somewhat and a couple of the other characters seemed to be more like caricatures. Still, a good beach read - I HAD to know what happened. The pacing is great as always and I loved the overall portrayal of village life.
Louise
This is the first Erica James book I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was quick, easy and entertaining to read. I'd like to find another of Erica James' book called "A Breath of Fresh Air" since it was a previous novel about Hilary Parker's sister Charlotte.

"Time for a Change" was a great read!!

Naomi
Hilary thinks her husband is having an affair, This book looks at her life from when she finds out he is having to affair to when she finds out the truth.

This book was quite good. It was easy to read and it kept me interested throughout the book. There is also a good twist at the end of the book.
Gemma
Was really looking forward to reading this after reading A Breath of fresh air and it was another very good read. So glad I read the other one first though and would recommend u do the same although this would of been a good book on it's own you could not read them the other way round
Jess Alway
I could say this book was good but I would prefer to call it unique. It wasn't so much the story-line of this book that I loved, it was how the characters jumped off the pages. The part of the book I had just read I would replay in my head as I went to sleep.
Karschtl
Frauenroman, in dem mal wieder ein Eheglück (scheinbar) zerbricht, nachdem der Alltagstrott Einzug gehalten und die große Verliebtheit verflogen ist. Nett zu lesen, aber nichts Besonderes.
Emma
A bland book with bland characters, a bland plot and a bland ending. After reading a book I usually pass along to friends but would be to embarrassed to do so with this book.
Stacy
Erica James is light reading; always has a strong female character to root for and a love story you want to see succeed.
Katie Grainger
Another easy read had some slow sections but not to bad. I might consider reading other books by Erica.
Angela
Bored housewife special....Wheres my amazon book order!!! Help!!
Charlie Trafford
A modern book with a modern village feel.
Virginia
Just didn't like the main character.
Irene
Irene is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
  • The Xmas Factor
  • Promises, Promises
  • First Friends (Those Who Serve)
  • Caroline's Sister
  • Woman To Woman
  • Talk of the Village (Tales from Turnham Malpas #2)
  • My Husband Next Door
  • Sowing Secrets
  • Two's Company
  • The Sweet Dove Died
  • The Wonder Worker
With an insatiable appetite for other people's business, Erica James will readily strike up conversation with strangers in the hope of unearthing a useful gem for her writing. She finds it the best way to write authentic characters for her novels, although her two grown-up sons claim they will never recover from a childhood spent in a perpetual state of embarrassment at their mother's compulsion.

T
More about Erica James...
Tell It to the Skies The Queen of New Beginnings Gardens of Delight Love and Devotion It's the Little Things