The Four Agreements Companion Book: Using the Four Agreements to Master the Dream of Your Life

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  2,011 ratings  ·  68 reviews
In The Four Agreements, Mexican shaman Miquel Ruiz built his teachings around four agreements: be impeccable with your word; don't take anything personally; don't make assumptions; always do your best. Now Ruiz offers readers a companion guide, making practical mysticism out of the ancient Toltec tradition. On the one hand this is an eloquent introduction to Toltec teachin...more
Published October 16th 2000 by Amber-Allen Publishing (first published 2000)

Carol
This book able to contribute to making peoples' lives a lot more carefree and comfortable. I have no doubt that if each of the agreements are worked on even a little, people would start to see how they're causing a lot of their own grief. It has to do with giving an overhaul to very old beliefs about self esteem, needs and expectations, finally.

I started reading the Four Agreements back in the '90s, but a lot of things got in my way, like mostly my life! I finally got back to reading this book t...more
Sharon
The Four Agreements. by Miguel Angel Ruiz
Don Miguel Ángel Ruiz, better known as Don Miguel Ruiz, is a Mexican author of New Age spiritualist and neoshamanistic texts. His teaching is significantly influenced by the work of Carlos Castaneda.

One, Be impeccable with your word,
Two, Don't take anything personally
Three, Don't make assumptions.
Four, Always do your best.
What an amazing book, it came into my life at just the right time. I follow my own spiritual beliefs, which I must admit are pretty ba...more
Darlene
This book was a life changer for me. 1) Be impeccable with you word 2) Don't take anything personally 3) Don't make assumptions 4) Always do your best.

As I applied these agreements into my life I began to realize that I and I alone, hold the key to my happiness and that no one can take it away without my permission. It also gave me greater compassion for others that were dealing with anger and frustration. I didn't feel the need to "fix" them or take it upon myself.

A gift.

I like to re-read this...more
Ariadna73
"Si, otra confesión más. Yo he leído un millón de libros de autoayuda. Desde los nueve años (¡y cuánta agua ha corrido bajo el puente desde aquello!) mi papá me matriculó en un curso que se llamaba ""poder mental"", que dictaba un tal Leandro Gómez, o algo así. El hecho es que se hacía el curso, y se leía el libro del mismo nombre, y entonces uno se convertía en un ""super-humano"" capaz de hacer cualquier cosa.

¿Me convertí en una ""supergirl""?... Bueno, para mí que el curso necesitaba algo de...more
Megan Hodgson
I honestly can’t believe that this book isn’t mentioned more. I really do feel like this book and “The Four Agreements” should just be one book. If anything, I got more out of this companion book than I did out of the “Four Agreements”!

This book was stunning. I really like that there are a lot of journal prompts in the book. I have been going through and writing them all down, and am planning on journalling my way through the questions this summer. There were a lot of questions in this book that...more
Brendy Bou
One of my favorite books of all time. This is simplisticly stating four agreements that will help us in life to better understand ourselves and others. Miguell Ruiz is brilliant!
Simple truths that equate with simple wisdom for living.
Tisha London
Book was so Amazingggg I read it 3x's! It provides wisdom and answers to those unanswered questions we all have. This book provides A guide to living the best life you can and being the best you can. This book is truly A Blessing and once grasped, it changes your entire outlook on life. One of ther best books I've ever read!!
Brika
I'm really not one for self-help books, but this is a must read! It's a quick read, and I think it's going to make a big difference in the way I choose to live my life! Love it!
Zhi Han
A short and concise book on self-esteem and personal development. I particularly love the Christianity-themed presentation of the information.
Divya Kn
Great book. I hope these ideas pass on to every individual. It may take some time to follow the agreements, but for sure it is worth doing it.
Dasha
Simply written, to the point, and lots to learn from it.
Kolumbina
OK, a bit repetitive and too much preaching.
Gloria
This author has the right idea.
Melissa
Reading similar concepts from the original “Four Agreements” book helped created a new light where I was able to focus more on breaking down the domestication of myself and see how I am able to transform my thoughts and beliefs to become empowered… Again, this book helped me to look at personal ownership of how I act and react to others around me.

The focus was still on the key principles:
Be impeccable with your word.
Don’t take anything personally.
Don’t make assumptions.
Always do your best.
Alicia
I really enjoyed this book as I enjoyed other books by this author. The ideas in "The Four Agreements" made a lot of sense. The thing I liked about this companion book is that it gives the tools for how to start practicing the four agreements in every day life. I especially like the end of the book that had a series of questions and answers. I found that this section answered many questions that I had in the back of my mind about the Four Agreements.
Sandy
Doing a journal...makes it even better. Going to see him speak at the light expo at Lakeland College. Can't wait.

I loved the book so much that I went and bought every book Miguel Ruiz wrote and read them all by now. Only one I haven't read yet is his latest book, the fifth agreement. Highly recommend all of his books.The Glass Castle
Cindie
I won't say that I fully subscribe to everything he says in this book, but I do fully subscribe to 'The Four Agreements' from the previous book I read. They are simple in concept, but difficult to do. Still, four agreements worth pursuing. I also wish that I had been acquainted with this author as a new parent. I might have done a few things differently in parenting, if not mostly in attitude.
Shelley
I recommend everyone read this book! I was drawn to it because it talks about important pieces of our lives such as being true to your word, not taking everything personally (meaning, people act out of their own preconceived notions and will always have their individual opinions about something most likely different than yours) and not making assumptions (which is hard for a lot of us!).
L8blmr
Ok - true confession time. I only made it halfway through this book. Sorry, but it's just too far "out there" for me. (Our life is really only a dream, and so is everyone else's, so don't take anything personally, because it's only a dream.) A good friend tells me that the predecessor to this is much better and it's on its way to me from paperback swap, so stay tuned!
MoonTea
Good reflection on where your thoughts often lead you, and how to deviate from the negative traps of the "Parasite". Just by reminding myself not to make assumptions about everything, or take anything personally, I am already seeing with more serenity than my typical anxiety, and trying not to take things so seriously. It feels good ;).
tiffany
some good additions to the book, it is the original with the second half being application, etc. regardless, the additions are good and can be quite helpful, bottom-line - the messages contained in the 4 agreements are simple yet profound if followed and would be life changing for any who follow them at all. a good map for life.
Wendy
Oct 06, 2008 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Even though I am a Christ follower, these are certainly life principles everyone should live by. Imagine if you were able to always be impeccable with your word, never take anything others say or do personally, never make assumptions, and always do your best! How different would your life be?
All societal rules are only our belief system....and no one's is the same as anyone else's. I LOVE this book...it helps me realize that really all societies rules and ridiculous "beliefs" that can cause us stress, negative thoughts and judgement are not necessary and in fact not even "real."
David
If there are four things you remember in your life, these are The Four Agreements you want to remember. Written by a toltec Indian, this is a wonderful book on some simple, yet profound life principles that will enrich your life.
Sophie
I learned how to rewrite my own agreements, as well as my own Book of Laws I live by and not to live by those of others! Can't wait to try it out. Oops, probably shouldn't have said that...a challenge may come my way.
Tish
I have highlighted many passages in this book & I literallt carry it with me. It helps bring me back into focus when I stray off the path. I don't want to be without this book.
Anabelle Taub
A wonderful tool for introspection and journaling. Great insight. Attainable methods to reach your highest potential and staying true to your impeccable self/word.
Leonard
A really interesting philosophy on life. Has definitely made me think again about how we live, how we are brought up and how we are moulded by society.
Kendra
Reread May 3, 2011

Companion to the original book. More details on how to effect the 4 Agreements, plus details on mastering awareness and transformation.
  • Beyond Fear: A Toltec Guide to Freedom and Joy, The Teachings of Don Miguel Ruiz
  • The Five Levels of Attachment: Toltec Wisdom for the Modern World
  • Shamanic Journeying
  • The Call: Discovering Why You Are Here
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • The Mist-Filled Path: Celtic Wisdom for Exiles, Wanderers, and Seekers
  • Spiritwalker: Messages from the Future
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • Eckhart Tolle's Findhorn Retreat: Stillness Amidst the World
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • The Long Road Turns to Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation
  • The Power Is Within You
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life
  • Yoga Cures: Simple Routines to Conquer More Than 50 Common Ailments and Live Pain-Free
  • Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao
  • A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything, Yes Anything
The tools shared by don Miguel are based on common sense and shared with such simplicity, that the universal message underlying his teaching is recognized by many. don Miguel's message is simple, practical and when implemented, even incrementally, changes lives.

In the tradition of the Toltec, a Nagual guides an individual to personal freedom. Combining new insights with old wisdom, don Miguel has...more
More about Miguel Ruiz...
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship --Toltec Wisdom Book The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery Wisdom from the Four Agreements