Start by marking “If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  22 reviews
John Lloyd and John Mitchinson have proven themselves to be masters at digging up obscure facts, abstruse information, and amusing anecdotes and presenting them effortlessly, somewhat slyly, with either great wit or at least a little bit of tongue in cheek. Their gifts are on full display in Quote Interesting, a lively, wonderfully enjoyable anthology of hundreds of quotes ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Crown (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?

Rick
Not just the usual suspects, this anthology of quotes is thoughtful, surprising, and, despite its brevity, remarkably rich and wide-ranging in its selections. The title quote, for example, is by Victor Cousins, a 19th century French philosopher—three surprises there: time, nationality and occupation. Really? A French philosopher from the 19th century with a 20th or 21st century stand up comedian’s deadpan humor? The editors toss in some mini commentaries on selected contributors, helpful, ironic ...more
ej cullen
"Ninety percent of politicians give the other ten percent a bad name."

"Someone has tabulated that we have thirty-five million laws on the books to enforce the Ten Commandments."

"For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe."

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to
me."

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."

"That which has been accepted by everyone, everywhere, is almost certain to be false."

"Let the people th
Kristen
I wasn't sure what this book was going to be when it came. I knew it said it was a quote book, but having never bothered to read other quite books I wasn't sure what I was in for.

This book has a short intro/prologue in which the author informs us of their love of quotes, collecting quotes, and how this is the collection of the greatest quotes they have encountered.

The set up is simple - Topics are arranged alphabetically and each topic has 3-15 quotes filed under it. Each quote is attributed t
Nathan
Educational, fun, inspirational; helps me feign education
Neil
Nothing unexpected, in a way...just the same cornucopia of unconnected quotes you always get from the QI people. How they find so many without much repetition is itself one of the universe's unsolved mysteries. Yes, it's a book for the toilet...but only in the guest bedroom, so when there are no guests you can sneak in and enjoy it without being disturbed. Excellent.
Goodnews
"A book should serve as an axe for the frozen sea within us." ~Franz Kafka
"I would not exchange my early and invincible love of reading for all the treasures in India." ~ Edward Gibbon
"When the solution is simple, God is answering." ~Albert Einstein
"There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness." ~Josh Billings
Dylanm
This book is a collection of famous and non famous quotes that have been said or written by people. I think that this book is pretty good because it's interesting to read what people have said about anything from cats and dogs, to democracy and dictators. And some of the quotes can even be funny.
Andi
With a title like this, there is no way I could pass it up! It was an enjoyable collection of quotes, some witty, some inspiring, and some that were a bit dull. Overall, it was a fun book. I enjoy quotes very much and will probably to back to this book over and over again.
Christie
Nice collection of quotes for all occasions sorted by tag line. I added 20 or so quotes cited in this collection to my list of personal favorites. The quote chosen for the title is what grabbed my attention and there are many more "smart" quotes throughout the book.
Elf
A funny quote book that doesn't focus on giving you wisdom but rather on entertaining you. It's been couple years I bought this book, to this date I still often grab it to read couple quotes and it's still entertaining. It makes a very good gift too.
Fred Bayley
A superior collection of quotes. These two authors have been collecting quotes for more than 10 years and have included the best of the best. I really like the organization which mkaes it easy to use.
Susan
I love quotations. This book does a good job of grouping them into categories. Nice to keep on the nightstand for light reading before going to sleep.
Luise
Great fun! Here's one of my favourites - by Groucho Marx:
"These are my principles, and if you don't like them - I have others!"
Tamara Blair
A brand new book of quotations! I love quotations, and this is a lot of fun! Smart quotes for dumb times indeed!
Laura Gilfillan
A lot of good, usable quotes, good for cards and t-shirts. Organized by subject. Good to have on hand.
Rob Huff
Quality sampling of quotes on a variety of topics. Enjoyed the read!
Dina
A book of very interesting quotations. Fun/ny to just browse.
Mary Radmacher
Jan 11, 2010 Mary Radmacher is currently reading it
This is one of my most compelling collections of quotes. I love it.
Foxytocin
Probably the only quote book I'd ever need to own.
Noori
read to find out some what hilarious
Amanda
Fantastic book of quotes!
Matthew Ritchie
Matthew Ritchie marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Abby Creen
Abby Creen marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Zoubir
Zoubir marked it as to-read
Anindita Hapsari
Anindita Hapsari marked it as to-read
L
L marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • The Intellectual Devotional Biographies: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Acquaint Yourself with the World's Greatest Personalities
  • The Guinness Book of Poisonous Quotes
  • Today I Will: A Year of Quotes, Notes, and Promises to Myself
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • Brady, Brady, Brady: The Complete Story of The Brady Bunch as Told by the Father/Son Team who Really Know
  • The 101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived
  • Final Exits: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of How We Die
  • When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book
  • The F-Word
  • Napoleon's Hemorrhoids: And Other Small Events That Changed History
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • i am neurotic: (and so are you)
  • Quotable Quotes
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • 20,000 Quips & Quotes
  • Book of the bizarre
John Hardress Wilfred Lloyd CBE is a British comedy writer and television producer. Lloyd was Trinity College, Cambridge, where he befriended and later shared a flat with Douglas Adams. He worked as a radio producer at the BBC 1974–1978 and created The News Quiz, The News Huddlines, To The Manor Born (with Peter Spence) and Quote... Unquote (with Nigel Rees). He wrote Hordes of the Things with And ...more
More about John Lloyd...
The Book of General Ignorance The Second Book of General Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is (Still) Wrong The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong The Book of the Dead: Lives of the Justly Famous and the Undeservedly Obscure 1,227 Quite Interesting Facts to Blow Your Socks Off