Start by marking “A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)

A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel #3)

When James Baldwin takes a new position with the B&O Railroad, he and Carolina decide to move their growing family from Baltimore to a small rural town in the Allegheny Mountains.

Carolina's stepdaughter, Victoria, becomes enthralled with handsome Kiernan, an Irish railroad worker. But will the upper-class Baldwins even consider him as a suitor for their daughter?
And wh
Published May 1st 1998 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Promise for Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Promise for Tomorrow

Mar 19, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
This is the last book in "The Ribbons of Steel" series.

In the earlier books, Carolina Adams lived in Oakbridge, her family's plantation. James Baldwin had been hired as her tutor and eventually became engaged to her sister, Virginia, but his love for Carolina caused him to break the engagement & take a job with the Baltimore & Ohio railroad. Years later he he found that she had married Blake St John & was suspicious that his father, Leland Baldwin, was a swindler. Blake was killed, a
Oct 11, 2010 Jenni rated it really liked it
I had read the first two books of this series earlier in the summer. However, when I came to this one, I kept starting it and putting it down. I needed a break from the trains, and the characters that I was so frustrated/angry with in the first two books.

This books starts a little slow, but the story actually isn't much of a continuation. Once part 1 is over, we see new characters, new plot twists, and an over-all better theme. This book focuses mostly on the relationships we have with our famil
Oct 21, 2013 Karen rated it did not like it
Thank goodness it's over. I just remember thinking... THAT'S IT??? I read 3 books for this ending? Ugh. More forced conversations about God. It's just unrealistic that every supporting character in the book would preach the same sermon. It got old. I'm a Christian and it annoyed me. So I can imagine if you're not, it would be pretty exasperating for all the supporting characters to preach the same thing all the time and that's all you have to do to solve all your problems. That's not even how it ...more
Jul 03, 2013 Lyssa added it
I kept picking this book up and putting it down, picking it up and putting it down. For weeks, actually. At one point I even skimmed it, reading pages at a time, from start to finish, trying to find something to pull me in, but it actually had the opposite effect. I realized so much time had passed in between the last book and this book. Obviously the author felt that the story had been well enough resolved as well, and had moved forward to find a new plot. But I just wasn't into it anymore. And ...more
May 03, 2015 Priscilla rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed another trilogy by Judith Pella. (Also co-authored with Tracie Peterson) I recognize the style from 'The Stonewyycke Trilogy' which she co-authored with Michael Phillips. So I think a lot of the crazy twists and turns and the never ending plots are probably Pella's influence. These traits are particularly evident in 'The Stonewycke Trilogy' but also surface a fair bit in this series. I have really enjoyed it! Great series!
I loved the rest of this series and was very saddened that the final installment was not as well written or planned out as the others two. It was tough for me to get through, with parts that seemed to drag on mercilessly and others that seemed to be washed over. This does not change my recommendation for the series, but I would consider the reviews before reading this so as not to be blindsided as was I.
Anne Boyd
Jun 02, 2015 Anne Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW A Promise for Tomorrow

These three books were absolutely great. They span over generations and tells of the perilous situations involved in building railroads. We take everything for granted these days, but the hardships of the 1800's was unbelievable. People today don't know what hardships are.
Feb 10, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was ok
Really liked the history about railroads and the meaning behind the term "the fighting Irish" - I was a history major, so really liked that. The rest of the story was okay, I felt that she fast forwarded a lot and I didn't get as attached to the characters as to the previous two books in the series - the focus wasn't on the characters that much.
Apr 06, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series but the last part was hard for me to finish it seems like it was dragging on a bit but still worth the effort and I would recommend this this series, but I don't feel the second or the thrid can stand on their own.
Paula Stroup
Aug 13, 2013 Paula Stroup rated it it was amazing
The best of the series. I am looking forward to the sequel series surrounding the children as our country continues to grow around this family. Great read with a positive, inspirational message throughout.
Mar 29, 2010 Jodi rated it did not like it
Only made it about halfway through this one. There was just too much info on railroads and it didn't hold my interest at all.
I liked the 1st 2 books in this series and now when I re-read the story I usually just stop after the 2nd.
Jan 08, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
I enjoyed that this series didn't end with marriage like so many Christian Fiction stories. It wasn't as quickly moving as many, but I enjoyed it.
Sep 24, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok
So glad to have finished this book, I had about given up on finishing it. It moved so slowly and had too much railroad in it. It just did not hold my interest.
Jane Alden
May 15, 2014 Jane Alden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Promise for Tomorrow

I just finished reading the last book of this series and enjoyed it as the first two. These authors sure know how to write. I give it five stars.
Stacey Head
Jun 22, 2016 Stacey Head rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful ending

Carolina and James had a true love story. I have enjoyed their story from the beginning and how it connects to the next series. Truly a wonderful story.
Caitlin Botkin
Enjoyed the first two books, didn't want to put them down. This one finished with more unfinished plot lines than finished ones. Disappointed.
Jun 24, 2011 Shelena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic series. One of those that you just can't put down until you've finished all of them. Thanks for great historical fiction.
Sherry Lochner
Sherry Lochner rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2011
Bethany rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Shellie rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Terrie rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Allison rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2009
Samantha rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Melissa Holwerda
Melissa Holwerda rated it liked it
May 05, 2013
Darlene Lindstrom
Darlene Lindstrom rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Priscilla rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2011
Mary Goodwin
Mary Goodwin rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Rachel Wetsriru
Rachel Wetsriru rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 11:02AM
  • The Pattern of Her Heart
  • Sea to Shining Sea (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #5)
  • Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5)
Judith Pella is a bestselling, award-winning author whose writing career spans two decades. Her in-depth historical and geographical research combines with her skillful storytelling to provide readers with dramatic, thought-provoking novels. She and her husband make their home in Scapoose, Oregon.
More about Judith Pella...

Ribbons of Steel (3 books)
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)