Start by marking “What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a Scandal” as Want to Read:
What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a Scandal

What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a Scandal

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  10,359 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews
Schoolteacher Barbara Covett leads a lonely, solitary life, until new teacher Sheba Hart draws her into her confidence and they become friends. But Barbara is unprepared for the secret she will learn: that Sheba has begun a passionate affair with an underage male student, a situation that soon creates a media circus.
Audiobook
Published September 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about What Was She Thinking?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Was She Thinking?

Nico
An unforgiving, cold-eyed, wickedly beautiful little book.

A warning: if you have ever been crushingly lonely -- particularly if you have, on occasion, feebly attempted to rationalize that loneliness as a burden of your superior and isolating intelligence -- then I suspect that you, like me, will feel personally filleted by certain passages in this book.

Here's an example of Heller's brutally precise understanding of this manner of loneliness; what strikes me in this passage is how elegantly, how
Petra Xtra Crunchy
Wonderfully-written, brilliantly-drawn characters who each vie for the title of 'most detestable person in the book' as they live through a most despicable situation of a middle-aged teacher having an affair with a young pupil and the Machiavellian machinations of an older, bitter teacher who is a repressed lesbian. I would imagine it translated better into a film, especially given the stellar cast of Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett, than it read as a book.

Fantastic writing but somehow the story d
Samadrita
Notes on a Scandal is a multi-layered story. While keeping up with the pretense of titillating readers with the lurid details of a much older woman's romance with an adolescent boy, it skilfully but subtly exposes the hypocrisy practiced by each one of its characters. How each one of them remained so painfully aware of Sheba's perversions while being stubbornly dismissive of their own.
Zoe Heller also forces us to rethink what we consider moral and immoral and ask ourselves whether we can really
Chris
Sex is a complicted subject. Sometimes, literature doesn't make it easier. Neither do movies or television. There is something to be said for this; honest truths about sex and embarassment would lead to less children; however, it is rare to find a book that looks at sex and actually has something to say besides the words "drenched in her honey".

Heller does examine sexual issues in this book, and the phrase "drenched in her honey" doesn't come up at all. She takes a hard look at conset, age, and
Lauren
Do you know what it is to be lonely?

People like Sheba think that they know what it’s like to be lonely. They cast their minds back to the time they broke up with a boyfriend in 1975 and endured a whole month before meeting someone new. Or the week they spent in a Bavarian steel town when they were fifteen years old, visiting their greasy-haired German pen pal and discovering that her hand-writing was the best thing about her. But about the drip drip of long-haul, no-end-in-sight solitude, they k
Leanne
This is a story about scandal - but more deeply, it's a story about loneliness. Pure, desperate, bone-aching loneliness. As I wrote that, I realized it was a weak, paraphrased version of the most powerful passage in the book. And that's the difficulty of reviewing Notes on a Scandal - everything I try to say, Heller has already said, and much more powerfully. And she manages to do it all neatly and beautifully - there are no bloated metaphors or silly comparisons, only acute observations and lay ...more
Mary
Gosh, this book creeped me out. And, it wasn't even the older woman/school boy thing; it was Barbara, the narrator. She was creepy as all hell. Maybe because my copy had Judi Dench's cold eyed stare on the cover, but from first page to last, it was utterly unnerving.

What saved this book from being a daytime made-for-TV movie was that it was told from the perspective of Barbara and not the teacher who has an affair with a pupil. Barbara is this incredibly sinister, bitter, manipulative woman who
Tatiana
This is definitely one of the best contemporary novels I've read in recent years. The quality of writing is remarkable and the subject matter is truly fascinating (at least to me).

"Notes on a Scandal" depicts a story of an affair between Sheba - a 40-year old married school teacher and her 15-year old student Steven as seen through the eyes of Sheba's elderly fellow teacher Barbara. Zoe Heller offers a fascinating perspective on such a relationship, where the victim (in legal sense) initiates an
Cecily
In the US, this was published as "What Was She Thinking?", with "Notes on a Scandal" in brackets, as a subtitle.

Having just read Lolita, I thought it would be interesting to read a more modern take on such a difficult subject, albeit with genders reversed...

It's the story of Sheba, a married middle-class middle-aged pottery teacher who has an affair with a 15 year old pupil. It is told by Barbara, a sixty-ish spinster who teaches in the same school, in a voice that could easily have been writt
Lisa
Clever, clever, clever!

What was she thinking?... At first I just assumed we were speaking of Sheba. She slept with a 15 year old, after all! But by the end of this book, it was someone else's thoughts I was questioning.

This is a very good book, and it was made into a fantastic movie. I have to say that the movie packs the bigger punch. Judy Dench takes the character of Barbara to her fullest expression. Cate Blanchett was phenomenal as the sympathetic adulteress and mistress of her 15-year-old
Amanda
Not a poorly written book, but I had a difficult time empathizing with the characters. When I read a book, typically I like to come away with something: more knowledge, deeper understanding, empathy, or just a riotous good time. None of that happened with this book. I just felt empty and sad, and very baffled by these characters. I could empathize in some aspects with Barbara, but try as I might to gain some sort of insight into Sheba's psyche and relate to even a shred of what motivated her, I ...more
Mari Biella
Why do we raise our eyebrows at relationships between two people of markedly different ages? Why are we in such a hurry to classify certain romantic entanglements as being "exploitative", and can we ever be clear exactly who is exploiting whom anyway? These are just some of the questions you're likely to ask yourself while reading Notes on a Scandal.

On paper, this looks like a pretty cut-and-dried case: a 42-year-old married female teacher pursues a sexual relationship with a 15/16-year-old scho
Traci  Medeiros
I thought this book was amazing and that the movie, while different, really got to the heart of what the book was about-- not an easy task for such a rich and complex read. The thing that I thought was really amazing about this theme, in both the book and movie, was the way that it questioned our preconceived notions of perversion and how those notions are affected by age and gender. If you want to talk legally Sheba was the only criminal, her affections were the ones that were inappropriate, sh ...more
Maciek
This little book is a history of two schoolteachers who develop close friendship - Sheba and Barbara. Sheba is new in school, a menacing institution straight out of Blackboard Jungle. When one of the 15 year old students starts showing his infatuation with her, she resists at first but eventually succumbs, despite being married and having children.
What makes the book interesting is the first person narration - but Sheba is not the narrator. Notes on a Scandal is narrated by Barbara, the grumpy o
Eve
Dear, dear Barbara. I'm not sure if Heller meant for her narrator to be a friend or foe, but something about her nature drew me to her. In the end, I can't think who was the victim: Sheba or Barbara. Good read.
Venkat Narayanan
A book which broaches/breaches something which is held as a sacrosanct is always going to be difficult of pull off. Ms. Heller not only yanks it off cleanly she does it again and again. If this book should be defined in one adjective and that's all one is permitted to associate/attach to it I would choose "Sumptuousness". People reading this would be probably be going "Oh! Venky has gone nuts", but allow me to explain. By sumptuousness I largely try to describe the pleasure in enjoying the brill ...more
Maria João Fernandes
"O que é um romance senão um pacto mútuo de delírio?"

Barbara é uma professora de História, solteirona, que vive com a sua gata e, apesar de dizer que a história que nos conta não é sobre ela, bem...ela é a personagem principal.

Esta é uma história fascinante, aterradora, brilhante, enervante e envolvente, que questiona os julgamentos da sociedade.

"Existe, de facto, uma discrepância na forma como o público julga a má conduta sexual de homens e mulheres."

Zöe Heller proporciona-nos uma leitura breve
trishtrash
This is, at its core, a novel about obsession; the narrator’s for her young colleague Sheba Hart, and Sheba’s for the fifteen year old pupil with whom she is having an affair. There is something slightly lunatic and sad about these two women; At 60, spinsterly, closeted lesbian (closeted, or not inclined to admit it in her notes, or maybe just unaware of her own tendencies, it’s cleverly left for the reader to judge) Barbara pins all her hopes of finding a connection, of no longer being alone, o ...more
rachel
My high school best friend was a quiet, reclusive type like me. She happened to have a close friendship with a magnetic girl, also named Rachel, who cheated on her long-term boyfriend with at least six different guys -- usually juggling more than one affair at any one time. Rachel refused to accept responsibility or criticism for the situation, but nevertheless, she still confided (constantly) to my best friend about how unsatisfying it was for her to have to be so dishonest. She couldn't help t ...more
Blake
A common criticism levelled at Heller is that her characters are not likeable. This is usually a trick which in small doses is much celebrated, but in Heller it is apparently less a trick and more her trademark. Interestingly, I agree with her that her characters are not necessarily unlikeable so much as complicated. I would also add that she has good reasons for the choices she makes. More, it makes me wonder about the superficial readings of some of her critics.

This is quite aggressive in plac
Just arrived from Germany through BM.

A splendid and shocking (?) book written by Zoë Heller.

This is a love story between a new pottery teacher (Sheba) at St. George and a teenager.

The plot also shows the friendship between Sheba and Barbara who will write a diary describing their friendship and how Barbara helped Sheba to face her destiny.

It is admirable the way the author managed to introduce some hints of humor in this tragic story of passion, jealously and envy.

The original title - What Was
Shovelmonkey1
Jan 30, 2011 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good gossip
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: Man booker shortlist
This has been on my shelf for ages and as I've been off work sick (stupid tonsils!) I decided to trawl through my books for quick and easy reads as frankly, my brain is not up to much at the moment. This seemed to fit the bill and was both a quick and enjoyable read. I didn't find is particularly sinister as such (despite what the blurb says), more just a good example of how even the best educated people with the best intentions can be easily ensnared in a self-spun web of envy, deceite and lust ...more
Book Concierge
From the back cover: School teacher Barbara Covett has led a solitary life until Sheba Hart, the new art teacher at St George’s befriends her. But even as their relationship develops, so too does another: Sheba has begun an affair with an underage male student. When the scandal turns into a media circus, Barbara decides to wrote an account in her friend’s defense – and ends up revealing not only Sheba’s secrets but also her own.

My reactions
Wow. Told from Barbara’s perspective the story unfolds
Judith
I very much enjoyed the movie so I was slightly nervous about reading the book ~ how could it be better?
Well it is ~ the narrative method is so much clearer and it makes for a wonderful read. Not only is there the fascination with Sheba and her affair, but also the layer created by Barbara's manipulation and brutal honesty about being so.
Jill
Another novel in what I’m tentatively labeling the “pedophilia genre,” Zoë Heller’s Notes on a Scandal reads much less perverse than previous entries in the genre mostly because Heller shifts the focus from the relationship between the adult sexual deviant and his or her child lover to the relationship between the adult deviant and her older, possibly also deviant friend.

The tone here is sanitized, careful. It’s narrated by Barbara, a senior teacher at a London school where she befriends Sheba,
C.S. Burrough
Nov 23, 2014 C.S. Burrough rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
An original concept from a great author, this was shortlisted for the 2003 Man Booker Prize. A voyeuristic journey that slowly unveils the twisted friendship between two intriguing female protagonists/antagonists (one is often uncertain which is which).

The 2006 screen adaptation saw Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett nominated for Academy Awards in a drama/psychological thriller with echoes of The Killing of Sister George and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

As with the movie, parts of this book made t
Erik Talkin
I read the book then watched the movie. Okay, I did it the other way around, but this is practically a textbook example of how to succeed with a screen adaptation. Normally we're all whinging that the movie is not as good as the book, but here, playwright Patrick Marber’s screenplay is actually superior to the original. (Which is good too).
Author Zoe Heller is a well-known newspaper columnist in England, and for her novel examining an art teacher's illicit relationship with a fifteen year old s
Stephanie Sun
So many of the other reviewers have focused on narrator Barbara Covett's singleness, her sexlessness, partly because some of Heller's most eloquent writing in What Was She Thinking? (Notes on a Scandal) is on loneliness and longing. I won't quote it here, but the most-liked quote from this book on Goodreads, about the "drip drip of long-haul, no-end-in-sight solitude" is especially striking. I encourage you to read it and return here.

Got it? Okay, good.

I loved this quote when I first read it out
Antonomasia
Aug 12, 2013 Antonomasia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Antonomasia by: Blair
Really excellent stuff, which I shouldn't have sneered at ten years ago. (Nonetheless, after a while of seeing it everywhere, I'd bought a copy because I thought I ought to.)

The narrative is theatrical in the best possible way: though realist, this is obviously a story (I hardly ever even thought to nitpick), and a very well told, engrossing story it is too. The “twist” is entirely natural and plausible unlike so many plot points given that name in plenty of other books.

For a long time I assum
Abhinav
I'd have given 3 & a half stars but it didn't end as well as it started IMO.

'Notes on a Scandal' by Zoe Heller - A quick-paced, addictive, sinister & gripping book. The narrator Barbara Covett can make you cringe with her creepy obsession with Sheba Hart. Remember Tom Ripley? Yep, just like that. Recommended.
  • The Public Image
  • The Spinning Heart
  • Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
  • The Dark Room
  • Impossible Object
Zoe Heller was born in London in 1965 and educated at Oxford University and Columbia University, New York. She is a journalist who, after writing book reviews for various newspapers, became a feature writer for The Independent. She wrote a weekly confessional column for the Sunday Times for four years, but now writes for the Daily Telegraph and earned the title 'Columnist of the Year' in 2002.

She
More about Zoë Heller...
The Believers Everything You Know The Pursuit of Love Ox-Tales: Water An Englishman in New York

“Being alone is not the most awful thing in the world. You visit your museums and cultivate your interests and remind yourself how lucky you are not to be one of those spindly Sudanese children with flies beading their mouths. You make out To Do lists - reorganise linen cupboard, learn two sonnets. You dole out little treats to yourself - slices of ice-cream cake, concerts at Wigmore Hall. And then, every once in a while, you wake up and gaze out of the window at another bloody daybreak, and think, I cannot do this anymore. I cannot pull myself together again and spend the next fifteen hours of wakefulness fending off the fact of my own misery.

People like Sheba think that they know what it's like to be lonely. They cast their minds back to the time they broke up with a boyfriend in 1975 and endured a whole month before meeting someone new. Or the week they spent in a Bavarian steel town when they were fifteen years old, visiting their greasy-haired German pen pal and discovering that her hand-writing was the best thing about her. But about the drip drip of long-haul, no-end-in-sight solitude, they know nothing. They don't know what it is to construct an entire weekend around a visit to the laundrette. Or to sit in a darkened flat on Halloween night, because you can't bear to expose your bleak evening to a crowd of jeering trick-or-treaters. Or to have the librarian smile pityingly and say, ‘Goodness, you're a quick reader!’ when you bring back seven books, read from cover to cover, a week after taking them out. They don't know what it is to be so chronically untouched that the accidental brush of a bus conductor's hand on your shoulder sends a jolt of longing straight to your groin. I have sat on park benches and trains and schoolroom chairs, feeling the great store of unused, objectless love sitting in my belly like a stone until I was sure I would cry out and fall, flailing, to the ground. About all of this, Sheba and her like have no clue.”
161 likes
“There are certain people in whom you can detect the seeds of madness - seeds that have remained dormant only because the people in question have lived relatively comfortable, middle class lives. They function perfectly well in the world, but you can imagine, given a nasty parent, or a prolonged bout of unemployment, how their potential for craziness might have been realized.” 86 likes