Start by marking “Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis” as Want to Read:
Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis

Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Love Must Be Tough" offers realistic hope for troubled marriages. The principle of "tough love" is discussed in response to the most serious indicator of potential family breakup-a lack of respect. With over 1 million copied sold, this book presents God's plan to restore and maintain love.
Audio, 256 pages
Published June 25th 1996 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Love Must Be Tough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Must Be Tough

Carolyn F.
This book saved my marriage (well and the tapes to the radio program where he talked about this book too). Things you must not do: 1) Cry and ask what you can do to stop them from leaving, messing around, ignoring you. Stay strong. You can cry when you're alone, but do not cry in front of your spouse! 2) Do not make them stay, make them leave. Do not try to live in the same house. It won't work. You'll just be miserable and their life won't have changed at all. 3) Do not yell and scream. Another...more
Steve
If I could give this more than 5 stars I would.

I hear people misuse the phrase "tough love" to apply to being mean spirited. That's not what this is about. It's about not loosing your dignity and individuality in the name of love for another person. It is very disappointing when your spouse makes choices to follow their own selfish, self-centered pleasures and desires, and disregards any respect for you and the virtues of a loving relationship. Appeasement is not the answer, but unfortunately i...more
Geokowgurl
WOW!! What a great book!! I wish I could give it a 10 star rating! This is a must read for all people in a marriage or getting ready to start a marriage, preferably BEFORE they need it! I hadn't ever heard of this book until I was in dire need of it and a friend recommended it to me. I started reading Chapter 1 on the internet and was SO comforted by it, I bought it. I have now read it twice and have gained something new both times. To everyone out there struggling with infidelity in a marriage...more
Jeff Williams
Ever been dumped? Ever been through a divorce, or know someone who can't seem to get over one? Read this book or give it to that person. By far, the best book for the hurting ex-wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend. It gives you the tools to move on with your life and be even better than you ever thought you were. Dr. Dobson, you knocked it out of the park, sir.
Julie M
I read it to help me understand what a friend was going through. I was totally depressed the whole time I read it and have decided that all my friends MUST stay happily married...for my sake.

Leslie
excellent advise to the weaker partner in a failing relationship
Laurie
VERY interesting book that teaches a lot about human nature.
Helene
Dr. Dobson provides helpful insight regarding the internal struggle of both victims and offenders in cases of infidelity. I don't agree with all that he recommends, but his advice is undoubtedly rooted in a high value of family. I do agree that love must be tough sometimes. He focuses more on what is statistically true of relationships and marriages in America and less on what is Scripturally true about marriage and family. He missed the mark on the foundation of a good marriage, which is surpri...more
Donny
A good book on relationship, especially on family. The focus of the book is on the dealings with infidelity in the marriage, and also some practical advices on other marriage matters.

The advices in the book are quite practical, and truly logical. It's a good reference for all married couples, and definitely a must-read for troubled couples. For singles, some practical advices are given as well to make yourself 'marketable'.
Amy
This is an awesome book and although my situation was a bit different, since my husband battles sexual addiction, many of the things he mentioned in his book were of great use to me! The thing is you must apply them in order for them to be effective and it could be a bit scary at first but man was it empowering! Two thumbs up for Dr. Dobson!!!
Lisa Hall
Good book with some unexpected insights from the author. Not just party line "Divorce is evil" claptrap. Gives some good advice about dealing with an adulterous spouse, geared to helping the "victim" find dignity, resolution and closure. I wish he had expanded the concepts further than the confines of adultery, however.
Kevin Sartain
When you must truly be tough because you truly love, this book will help you stand strong. Surprisingly raw from Dobson.
Brittany
Quite a bit too christian based for my liking, but had some good concepts.
Debbie Duran
Great practical advice for a difficult period in my life. Very encouraging.
Darlene
this was one good book and i only wish i had listened to it better
L.t. Kodzo
Absolute must read for anyone in any relationship ever
Rick
good stuff, but just didn't scratch where I itched.
Kathy
helpful... a must read and not just when you are in need
Read1000books
In a word, if you are a parent, read Dr. Dobson.
Karla
An excellent source on practicing "tough love"
Sharmaine Suarez
It can help for those family who are messy.
Cb
Cb marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Melissa Koch
Melissa Koch marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Nikki
Nikki added it
Oct 12, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Eurol Arianone
Eurol Arianone marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Kennedy
Kennedy marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Nancy Beach
Nancy Beach marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
James C. Dobson is a psychologist, commentator, and writer. He is the founder of Focus on the Family, a group advocating what he views as Christian ethics and political conservatism, and hosts a radio program of the same name.
More about James C. Dobson...
Bringing Up Boys The New Strong-Willed Child The New Dare to Discipline Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice And Encouragement For Those Shaping The Next Generation Of Women When God Doesn't Make Sense