Start by marking “501 Must-See Movies” as Want to Read:
501 Must-See Movies

501 Must-See Movies

Suitable for film buffs and those who enjoy going to the movies. This book describes the history of 501 films.
Published January 1st 2004 by Bounty Books

To ask other readers questions about 501 Must-See Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 501 Must-See Movies

Lola
Dec 21, 2011 Lola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Film lovers
# of movies in this book I've seen: 33

Clearly, I could definitely use this book. My tastes in movies tends to lean towards the romantic comedy sort so this was a bit of an eye-opener to me. There are movies from everyone in this book. From action to horror to western to romance, it's all there. This offers not only standard production information but also a brief description of the plot and highlights of the movie's cinematography, acting, and production. It' nice to have a little bit of a crit
Antonija
Apr 22, 2012 Antonija rated it really liked it
A great book for all movie lovers. You can find interesting facts about movies discussed here and you can also use it to choose which movie you want to watch next.
The book is divided into chapters/movie genres and discusses the best movies (according to the authors) from every genre. The films are organized in genres according to the date of filming, starting from the earliest filmed movies to the most recent.
Photos in the book good too...
Myles
A decent reference/flip book with the movies arranged by genre with brief essays for each movie along with movie stills and cast/production information.

All list books are inherantly arbitrary, but there is no excuse for the inclusion of Top Gun.
Olivia
Feb 11, 2012 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
While I did not read every movie description, I did learn a lot. I made a nice list of movies that I want to see now, thanks to this book. Excited to start watching.
While I did think some movies were missing from the list (most notably Fight Club), there were a lot of great movies listed.
Quirkyreader
Jun 07, 2015 Quirkyreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly I have seen all the films in the Horror section except for one.
Gavin
Nov 13, 2012 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A great list for beginners or film-fanatics. As with all books of this ilk, the nature is subjective, so I'm aware that some films I think should be included are not, while others that are included I don't think warrant inclusion at all. However, I do like that it's weighted towards classics, and while there are some modern films, there's not much past the 90s. Half the fun is discovering what you've already seen, what you'd want to see, and finding new directors, cinematographers, etc. I also l ...more
CJ Scurria
Feb 12, 2013 CJ Scurria rated it really liked it
Shelves: media-stuff
Just as the movies that are listed in here, this is a must-buy book for people who love movies for what they are: art and expression transferred to film.

Each film is categorized by genre and one can look for their favorite type of movie in the carefully divided sections. But this film book just isn't for what you are used to seeing.

You can have new favorites, new movies in general that will amaze, surprise, and fill you with wonder.

I kinda wish the list was longer though but that is my opinion.
Stacy
Nov 05, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
It’s no secret that I love lists and Audrey Hepburn, so I considered it a real accomplishment when I was able to walk by this book on a few different bookstore visits without buying it. But, then I had a weak moment and snatched it up. I had a blast going through this fun book with its beautiful movie stills and information. The movies are broken into 10 different genres and I have watched a total if 188. For as many movies as I watch I was surprised the number wasn’t higher. Here’s my take on e ...more
Kurt
Mar 21, 2010 Kurt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, movies
Solid compilation of movies to see with only a few clunkers in the bunch--some of the more contemporary choices are a bit strained (Young Guns is not a classic western). But on the whole, well chosen and a nice intro for film novices and even for more flick savvy folks like myself there were a few surprises--films that I may have been only vaguely aware of are now on my watch for list (Dead of Night, The Iron Horse, Run of the Arrow). Broken in film genre's (Western, Romance, Sci-Fi, Mystery/Thr ...more
Mallory
Dec 20, 2015 Mallory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: list-making
I bought this book in the bargain bin of Borders before they closed down #ripBorders #istillloveyou. This book was PROBABLY/VERYLIKELY/MOSTDEFINITELY the best $9 I've ever spent. I have an obsession with list-making and as a precocious high schooler, I neurotically highlighted and underlined the crap out of this book. I didn't know too much about movies back then and I can't say I'm much better more than 10 years later, but it's been my mission to watch the movies on this list. Without it, I nev ...more
Jason Ross
Dec 10, 2009 Jason Ross rated it liked it
Interesting in that the must-sees of each genre --horror, musicals, drama etc-- are crafted by a different film critic (or editor or journalist or whatever you want to call them).
It is interesting to note when one film makes it on the horror person's list when it could have easily made it under sci-fi... the rationale fpr such a placement is understood by simple analysis of the film. Consistently written without the abusive use of film-school jargon and intellectual snobbery which permeates eve
Nathan Burgoine
Jun 11, 2014 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it
This was a gift and date-night idea I bought to share with my husband. We went through it, put coded post-its on all the movies, so we could tell if:

We'd seen it (together or apart).
We'd like to see it again with each other.
We'd like to see it at all (neither of us hadn't seen it).

The whole "Western" chapter was a bit of a "miss" for us, but it was fun to go through the movies and realize what we were both missing that the other had enjoyed.
Kirsty Price
Mar 17, 2013 Kirsty Price rated it liked it
to any avid film watcher, this book is a good book to give you small useful information about the book. it gives small plot details without giving too much away, however unless you want to see every awesome movie ever made, this book can be incredibly boring. its not really set out in an interesting way, I didn't find myself drawn to it as much as I usually am. if I am bored ill pick it up, but I won't fully read it I will just flick through it.
Melissa
Nov 02, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Awesome compilation of movies--classics all the way up to 2004. So it is a little dated now, but only in the most recent of film releases. The classics make up a large bulk of the 'must-see' films, and as a movie geek, I must say that most, if not all, movies today are rooted in these timeless films. A must read for film fanatics!
Courtney
Oct 12, 2009 Courtney rated it liked it
This is my go-to book whenever (which is rare, lately) I don't know what to read. I also add little star stickers to each book that I have read, to mark the path of my accomplishments. Silly, but helpful. I really enjoy it. Once (if ever) I complete all 501 books, I will then move to the "1001 Books you must read before you die"... right now, I'll stick at the 501. Baby steps. Baby steps. LOL!
Stacy
Feb 28, 2010 Stacy added it
This is AWESOME!! I went through and initialed the ones that I have seen (so did Andrea) and now I have more movies that I need to watch! I believe that they left out some movies that are must see movies and they put some in that I disagree with.
Matthew
Aug 26, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Each passage for each different film is equally fascinating and a must-have for all film-buffs but if you're not a big film buff you could just skip over to your favourite genre. There's something for everybody.
Rebekah
Oct 28, 2011 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
My goal is to watch every movie in this book (with the exception of some in the horror section- I'm cool with monster movies but demon possession freaks me to high heaven). We will see how it goes.

Movies that should be included but Are Not:
The Rare Breed
The Court Jester
Father Goose
Firefly_1824
I got this for my mom for her birthday, but ended up taking a good look though it myself. A lot of movies I'd like to see. Also, it has helpful reviews and states why the movies are good. I'm hoping my mom will watch some of the more "bloody" ones now because they're such good movies!
Ginag
Jan 10, 2014 Ginag rated it really liked it
Really like this as their in some not so obvious picks in here as well as the classics (godfather, citizen Kane etc.)
Statikpulse
i don't think all of these are must sees but it's still an awesome book to have if you like movies
Tijana
Sep 17, 2013 Tijana rated it really liked it
Some significant movies were skipped,but overall it's a useful movie guide.
Molly
Apr 24, 2007 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the recommended movies I would much rather I not waste my time on, but in the context of popular culture (movies that get referenced in pop culture, that is), these were some of the best.
Karen
Aug 08, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
I must say I have seen quite a few of these. As my nephew discovered, the movie titles are the British ones, ie. the Harry Potter Book One.
Rayna Gausnell
Awesome book
Bryan Duncan
Bryan Duncan rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2013
Sam Lizewski
Sam Lizewski rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Bob Maguire
Bob Maguire rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
May 20, 2009
Alin G.
Alin G. rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
  • Leading Men: The 50 Most Unforgettable Actors of the Studio Era
  • 501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • The Great Movies II
  • Defining Moments in Books: The Greatest Books, Writers, Characters, Passages and Events that Shook the Literary World
  • Berts dagbok (Bert, #1)
  • Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College
  • 501 Must-Visit Natural Wonders
  • The Breakfast at Tiffany's Companion
  • The New Biographical Dictionary of Film: Expanded and Updated
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Film
  • The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen: Classic Family Recipes for Celebration and Healing
  • Monsters in the Movies
  • Women Artists
  • The Making of The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars:  The Making of, #2)
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges into Music