Start by marking “Thoughts of a Grasshopper: Essays and Oddities” as Want to Read:
Thoughts of a Grasshopper: Essays and Oddities

Thoughts of a Grasshopper: Essays and Oddities

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Published February 15th 1992 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Thoughts of a Grasshopper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thoughts of a Grasshopper

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
285th out of 734 books — 379 voters
My Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonEtiquette & Espionage by Gail CarrigerMy Lady Jane by Cynthia HandHypnotizing Chickens by Julia WattsI Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
Books You Wish Your Library Had that They Don't
261st out of 267 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy
Mar 12, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
A good friend recommended this book when I was going through a hard time. Hard Books don't offer much comfort, but the warmth of the words insie still reside in my heart.
Whitney Archibald
Jun 09, 2010 Whitney Archibald rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
At a picnic the other day, I mentioned a lecture Louise Plummer gave at BYU that changed the way I write in my journal. ("Never, ever try to play catch up, or you'll never start writing," and "Just set the timer for five minutes and write as fast as you can," etc.) I've used that lecture as the basis of countless Relief Society and Young Women lessons. Lo and behold, the lecture in its entirety was on page 85 of this book. I've been looking for it for 10 years. Thanks Sarah!

The rest of the book
Angie
Apr 16, 2015 Angie rated it it was amazing
Unforgettable. Lots of unladylike guffawing on my part. Lots of crying. Lots of setting the book on my lap and staring at the wall just thinking about what was said. I'm a hopeless fan of Louise Plummer. Like an annoying little lap dog with bad breath who won't stop jumping up on your legs and licking you. She's so real. Planning a dinner with my friend and forcing all of my friends to read this so we can have a discussion:)
May 26, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
I have always known that I was a kinship to the grasshopper, laughing and playing enjoying people , loving life. This is a cute little book for those of us who strike up conversations in the elevator and hum while you are driving.
Erin
Jan 15, 2012 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds, utah
I am a grasshopper more than an ant. Most of my family are ants and that is why they don't understand the decisions I make. This sentence makes sense when read in the context of Aesop's fables of the grasshopper and the ant.

I just finished this book and am conflicted about how to rate it. I really liked the first chapter and the chapter on journal writing. I like her advice to not try and play catch-up on writing, but just to write for five minutes a day or less and just write ideas.

I did think
Sunny
Apr 21, 2014 Sunny rated it really liked it
This is a great book! I read as a teen, young mother and read again. She is so real and has great personality.
Callie
May 06, 2009 Callie rated it liked it
This is a bunch of essays and short pieces of fiction--I think I've read it before, but I was very young and I wanted to read it again, since some of the non fiction is more for adults. I did really like some of the pieces and then I skipped over the pieces that are for young adults which I read when I was young. There's one about being a grasshopper in a church full of ants and one about dealing with real problems in the church and learning to talk about them and not pretend our lives are perfe ...more
Emily
Apr 01, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
I was a little confused because in some of the essays she seemed to refer to herself with different names. Or was she writing them as if she was a different person. All the essays were pretty good and I enjoyed them. But I LOVED the essay about how to write in your journal. LOVED IT. It is an essay that I have been trying to compose in my head for years. So, now I give up because she did it perfectly. If you have ever doubted that you should write in a journal or that you have nothing to write.. ...more
Karryn
Apr 20, 2008 Karryn rated it liked it
I recently went looking for this book again after reading it a number of years ago. It's out of print but can be readily found on Amazon, etc.

I enjoyed the author's offbeat style that I actually identified with very well. It's kind of like reading a blog of today but with more worthwhile, fable-like lessons. Some of us really are the grasshoppers, and though we don't work as hard as the ants, we have value!!
Gretchen
Mar 18, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Kate had me read this--we had listened to part of it as we traveled across country--I am proud to say that I am a grasshopper. I used this when I began a Pursuit of Excellence program with the women of my church--everyone needs to be or know a grasshopper in their lives just to enjoy living to the fullest. A MUST READ
Feb 21, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Delightful collection of Louise Plummer's thoughts and essays. I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite was her written choral audition. I recommend to anyone looking for a lighter look at different aspects of life. You can read it in short increments and feel like you've accomplished something every time you pick it up.
Cissy
Jun 16, 2008 Cissy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful collection of the authors essays, articles, book excerpts, maybe even talks she has given. Every chapter is so different--some funny, some inspiring, some jolting. I enjoy Louise Plummer's wit and voice. Anyone could find something to like in this book.
Apr 10, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
I didn't like the last two essays, so I think that's why I originally rated the book so low. Because those were the most fresh on my mind. But as time has passed since I finished the book, I find myself thinking about the other essays a lot and smiling.
Tryn
Louise Plummer is one of my mentors and former writing teachers. I admire her as a woman and a writer. This is a collection of her personal essays. You will laugh. You will think. And you will laugh some more.

Jill
Dec 05, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I love Louise Plummer. Her sense of humor is splendid, and I enjoyed her more serious essays as well. This book makes me feel like I could write a book: it's simple and wonderful and full of what makes Louise herself.
Mindi
Jul 02, 2008 Mindi rated it liked it
I read this book in college, as she was my creative writing professor. She is very funny. This is a quick read and a book that you can easily break up while reading because each chapter is a short memoir of its own.
Beth
May 12, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
I just re-read this. The essays really go the range from hysterical (I love the first story about her dog) to heart-breaking. Her honesty is amazing and many of her stories are thought provoking.
Becky
Apr 05, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, inspirational
I loved this book. It is filled with stories about life. The author is funny and down to earth. She teaches life lessons with humor and sweetness. At times I was laughing, and then crying!
Heidi
Oct 14, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Quick, easy read. I recently read this book for the second time. And I loved it again. Even though I am not a grasshopper, I was still inspired to write of few of my own lists.(See Book)
Mandy
Feb 27, 2008 Mandy rated it really liked it
A fun book to read that made me smile and feel more at home in my own skin. I liked that she celebrated living life to its fullest, even if it isn't how everyone else is doing it.
Jun 03, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the lists. Have started making my own book of lists. Written vocal audition is hilarious. Very familiar with the setting--brought back lots of memories. Re-read from several years ago.
Kerstin Olcott
Jul 13, 2011 Kerstin Olcott rated it really liked it
Very short and funny read. I liked Plummer's personality and outlook on life. After reading several duds, this pulled me out the depressing reading funk I've been in.
Jenifer
Jan 24, 2009 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!!! This was a collection of short-funny-essays on her life. She totally reminds me of Aunt Khali!! I've met Louise Plummer and she is a delightful person.
Aubri
Oct 14, 2008 Aubri rated it liked it
Thought the funniest part is when she mentions another book she wrote called My Name is Susan5 or something like that...and then says the 5 is silent.
Kathryn
Jan 25, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Considered it was written a while ago- her insights were well beyond her time. They still give one to take pause today.
Camzcam
Sep 16, 2011 Camzcam rated it really liked it
This collection of essays regarding everything from running a family to auditioning for a choir was a delightful, light, uplifting summer getaway!
Jennie
Sep 15, 2008 Jennie rated it it was amazing
My wonderful friend Leslie gave me this years ago - because she recognized that we are both grasshoppers.
This book is a lot of fun.
Etta Mcquade
Apr 23, 2010 Etta Mcquade rated it it was amazing
I love Louise Plummer's sense of humor. I have given her vignette, "Wallflower," as a reading for many years and always get laughs.
Tina
Apr 06, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-me
This is an easy read book, but it has a lot of great insights. Louise's style is light hearted and many things made me laugh out loud!
Lewestover
Aug 20, 2011 Lewestover rated it liked it
This quick and easy read contains the musings of an "ordinary" woman. I particularly enjoyed her comments about journaling.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Chocolate for a Woman's Soul: 77 Stories to Feed Your Spirit and Warm Your Heart
  • To Live Again
  • Furry Logic: A Guide to Life's Little Challenges
  • Papa's Daughter (The Franzons, #2)
  • Peculiar in a Good Way
  • Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball
  • Shepherds, Why This Jubilee?
  • The Best Cat Ever
  • Letters to a Young Mormon
  • Fine Old High Priests
  • Unaccompanied sonata & other stories
  • Leaping: Revelations & Epiphanies
  • Katherine Mansfield's Selected Short Stories
  • Eve and the Choice Made in Eden
  • The War on Moms: On Life in a Family-Unfriendly Nation
  • The Beginning of Better Days: Divine Instruction to Women from the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • The Light We Share
  • Fabrics A-to-Z: The Essential Guide to Choosing and Using Fabric for Sewing
Louise Plummer is a noted author young-adult fiction and a retired associate professor of English for Brigham Young University. She lives in New York, New York with her writer/professor husband Tom. Together they have four sons.

The Plummers moved from Boston to Minnesota in 1971 when Tom took a position at the University of Minnesota. While there, Louise earned a master’s degree in English. They
More about Louise Plummer...