Start by marking “My Name Is Sus5an Smith: The 5 Is Silent” as Want to Read:
My Name Is Sus5an Smith: The 5 Is Silent

My Name Is Sus5an Smith: The 5 Is Silent

A powerful coming-of-age story from the award-winning author of The Romantic Obsessions and Humiliations of Annie Sehlmeier. Bored with her life in Utah, Sus5an Smith (the 5 is silent) jumps at the chance to move to Boston and work on her art. But she finds herself in an emotional dilemma, when she is attracted to her newly-divorced uncle--who's twice her age. for Young ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about My Name Is Sus5an Smith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name Is Sus5an Smith

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
285th out of 734 books — 385 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisA Time to Speak by Nadine BrandesCrossed by Ally CondieMidnight Poems by Amanda Springer
Covers In Blue
104th out of 252 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Jun 30, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult
Plummer's writing is amazing as usual, and the entire book had me rigid with tension as I waited to see how serious the mistake Sus5an was making would turn out. That's why it's only four stars: I wanted to SHAKE the girl through the entire book! Which I guess was the point!
Magda
Mar 28, 2009 Magda rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, own
I like the main character and most of her family and friends, but I was really creeped out by her obsession with her (ex-)Uncle Willy. Everyone in her family didn't like him (after stealing from the family, and deserting his wife and the Air Force at the same time), but she still thinks fondly of him ... which is fine until she goes to Boston and finds him and then starts dreaming about marrying him. Yeah. Things turn out okay for the most part, but that's just really creepy.
LuAnn
Sep 03, 2012 LuAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Talk about procrastinating reading a book, this one sat on my shelf for years, with no real reason other than I simply got distracted. I finally picked it up and read a chapter each day while I waited on my crazy computer and internet to boot. Okay, so once I got 3/4 of the way through, I was reading more than a chapter a day, finally reading the final chapters in a huge gulp of satisfaction! I knew exactly what was going to happen to Sus5an, but I had to be there with her, hoping things would ...more
Meaghan
Jessica
Jul 16, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I really like Louise Plummer and read her blog...she is hilarious. I hadn't read any of her books so thought I would give this a try.

I just couldn't get past Sus5an the main character. She has a creepy obsession with her uncle Willy, who disappeared when she was 7. This tells the story of her coming-of-age and realizing what she wants with her life and who she is. She was just so dumb. Really? You want to marry your 40 year old uncle? Hmm.. grow up a little!

I think I will try another of her more
Juliette Caron
Jul 27, 2016 Juliette Caron rated it it was amazing
Louise Plummer is one of my favorite authors and this is one of my two favorite books of hers. I loved everything about this story. As an artist and a girl who once found myself falling for all the wrong men, I found Sus5an's character to be so relatable. Ms. Plummer doesn't sugar-coat reality and I love that. I've read this painfully real book twice and I look forward to reading it a third time.
Aubrey
Jan 20, 2014 Aubrey rated it it was ok
I met Louise Plummer once and I really enjoy her writing. This story was just weird though. I thought Sus5an was immature and annoying. I wanted to slap her. I felt no sympathy for her at the end of the book when she got her stupid heart broken. I did like that the story was set in Springville and talked about the Springville Art Museum.
Erin
Jul 27, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok
I like Louise Plummer, so I wanted to like this book. The writing is fine, and I laughed once or twice out loud, but I got bored. 70 pages in, I wanted to give Plummer the benefit of the doubt, but my reading list is too long this summer. I think that pretty much says it all.
--Btw, it was interesting to read about Springville in a nationally published book.
Susan Katz
Feb 01, 2009 Susan Katz rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This portrait of the artist as a young woman has some memorable secondary characters in Grace MacGregor, an 84-year-old neighbor, and Willy Gerard, the amoral and irresponsible former husband of the heroine's aunt. Sus5an Smith's decade-long romantic fantasies of Willy come to an abrupt and shocking halt on Susan's 18th birthday, enabling her to take her first steps into adulthood.
Amy Egbert
May 07, 2011 Amy Egbert rated it liked it
I just really love Louise Plummer. She is the master of catching just how adult a teenager can feel without making you feel stupid for ever having felt so important. Sus5an is so so likable, I only wish there was a sequel.
Michelle
Mar 24, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
It was a nice young adult book. I like Louise Plummer. The girl, Susan Smith, was a bit of a twit, but a lot of kids at that age are, so it was somewhat realistic. I thought the parents would be more supportive since Susan's paintings were not that offensive.
Lindsey
Dec 28, 2015 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
SPOILERS

I read this as a child and I liked it a lot. I thought it was a strange book to have in our tiny library at school. I also remember being a little creeped out that Susan is dating her uncle in the book.
Britney
Jun 05, 2009 Britney rated it liked it
Very interesting. I picked this up in the teen section. Louise Plummer is an LDS author and her book had won a couple of awards. It is a little different but I really liked it. It seemed very honest and I could see how this girl could get into trouble.
Angela
Jul 09, 2009 Angela rated it liked it
I did not like this book as well as the Kate Bjorkman book by Plummer, but again a very real, very believable story. Also very contemporary though it was written in the 90's. Again Plummer leaves the ending untied. I like that.
Liz
Sep 16, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
Sus5an, a 17-year-old artist, goes to Boston for the summer to find her Uncle Willy who abandoned her aunt ten years ago. She believes he was really a wonderful person and that everyone is blind to that.
Ashley Flynn
Apr 06, 2014 Ashley Flynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-book-club
This was just ok. Susan was a bit too naive for me to really like, although I could identify with her desire to follow her dreams in a big city. The conclusion of her relationship with willy was too predictable, and I'm not sure the closure she gets with her mom at the end was totally believable.
Elesa Hagberg
Apr 03, 2011 Elesa Hagberg rated it it was ok
As far as I remember, this is about a teenage girl who is in love with her Uncle, who, besides being her uncle, is also a loser. I guess it is probably about her learning not to be so dumb, since obviously she was, but I don't really remember much else.
Siyuan
This is actually not a favorite, but it was weird enough that i returned to it a couple of times when i was a kid. the main character is a budding artist, who has an unhealthy romantic obsession with an adult ex-uncle-in-law, and later moves to boston. yeah.
Kristin
Sep 02, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it
This was a good book by a local Utah County author. I haven't read another book quite like this one. When it ended, I felt like it could use a sequel, but I just made one up in my mind. :)
Paige
Nov 05, 2008 Paige rated it it was ok
Recommended to Paige by: AJFR assistant librarian
Shelves: juvenile
Somewhat dated, LDS fiction. Actually, the LDS is not beaten over your head...a good thing. Describes a coming-of-age story of a 17 year old artist from Springville. Not bad.
Hannah
Feb 03, 2016 Hannah rated it it was ok
I was enamored with this author's other work "The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman" which was hilarious. This one was just dull and boring.
Lia
Nov 12, 2008 Lia rated it really liked it
Wow. It's really revealing to watch a 17-year old make this many mistakes. She's an empathetic character, and the story is well-told and interesting.
Emster
Feb 03, 2009 Emster rated it really liked it
This book I read in seventh grade and really liked it. The story was interesting for me and saddening. I've only read one other book like it, but cannot fortunately remember the name at this time.
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2011
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2007
Chandni
Chandni rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Janalynn
Janalynn rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2009
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Loser's Guide to Life and Love
  • Holly's Secret
  • Return to Atlantis (Choose Your Own Adventure, #78)
  • Wonder
  • Sticks
  • The Things that Make Me Weak and Strange Get Engineered Away
  • Adios, Barbie: Young Women Write About Body Image and Identity
  • The Silent Passage: Menopause
  • The Kaleidoscope Season
  • "Dumbth": The Lost Art of Thinking With 101 Ways to Reason Better & Improve Your Mind
  • Multiple Choice
  • The Redwall Trilogy: "Redwall", "Mossflower" and "Mattimeo" (Red Fox Older Fiction)
  • The Verdict (Sweet Valley High, #97)
  • Flip-Flop Girl
  • Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack!
  • Remembering the Good Times
  • Melusine
  • Seasons of the Heart/Four Complete Novels in One Book
Louise Plummer is a noted author young-adult fiction and a retired associate professor of English for Brigham Young University. She lives in New York, New York with her writer/professor husband Tom. Together they have four sons.

The Plummers moved from Boston to Minnesota in 1971 when Tom took a position at the University of Minnesota. While there, Louise earned a master’s degree in English. They
More about Louise Plummer...