Jazmin's Notebook

Jazmin's Notebook

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Jazmin Shelby was "born with clenched fists"-which is okay, since she's got a lot of fighting ahead of her. Her dad died a couple of years back, and now that her mom's in the hospital, it's just her and her big sister, CeCe. But that's fine by Jazmin. She's got her friends, her school, lots of big plans for the future-and a zest for life and laughter that's impossible to r...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Puffin (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Jazmin's Notebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jazmin's Notebook

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonLove, Stargirl by Jerry SpinelliGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksThe Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
YA Diary Novels
76th out of 82 books — 96 voters
Lock and Key by Sarah DessenThe Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny HanSomeone Like You by Sarah DessenImpossible by Nancy WerlinJust Listen by Sarah Dessen
Reading Rants! Riot Grrrl
88th out of 106 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Angel Miyah
November 11, 2011
Title: Jazmin's Notebook
Author: Nikki Grimes
Genre: Realistic Fiction and Poetry
Jazmin. A common name but with a twist. Her father made it special by using the z. Funny how something so small as a letter change can be so crucial to someone's inner-being. A unique name for a unique girl. By actually putting the word jazz in her name part of her father is being lived out by her, she takes him everywhere. And is it any wonder that she uses poetry as an outlet? Of course now when yo...more
Hattie
Jazmin's Notebook by Nikki Grimes
This book is very special. I love to read the diaries and notebooks of people. "Jazmin's Notebook" is really interesting. She doesn't just write about jumping Double Dutch, braiding a friend's hair or going window shopping. Jazmin writes about what really bothers her and what she wishes were different in her life. Jazmin lives in New York with her sister, CeCe. I liked reading about the bond between the two sisters. CeCe becomes a mother to Jazmin although there...more
Jaylen Reese
Jazzmin is a young poet who loves to write. She is a very young girl who has faced many adversities in life. She had to live with her sister because he mother couldn't take care of her or even her own self and her father passed away. She uses a notebook as a getaway from the world. Her poems are an expressing how it is to be a girl of color in her the 60's.

This book was very entertaining. Not only did it provide history, but it used the art of poetry in it as well. The poems were really good and...more
Andrew Foster
Grade Level: 9th to 12th

This book is written as a journal with almost each chapter beginning in a poem. This book is labeled as a book in verse. the main character, Jazmin, relates her life through a year of journal entries, from stories about her dad's death, her mother alcoholism, and the drugs and crime that run rampant through her neighborhood. It is a shockingly honest account, leaving out no details but peppering the stories with personal insight.

This book, directed at the high school age...more
Monica
Jazmin, an African American teenager who lives with her older sister in a small Harlem apartment in the 1960s, finds strength in writing poetry and keeping a record of the events in her sometimes difficult life.
Two of the major literary elements in this book are the point of view and the setting. The point of view of this book is first person. The book is actually Jazmin's journal, so the entire novel is told through Jazmin's perspective. Through the eyes of this 14-year-old girl the reader see...more
Chris
This book somehow followed me from my classroom in Morrisania all the way here without me ever having read it, but I fixed that in about 3 hours.
For a young adult book, it was pretty good, if a little corny. I remember the idea when I got it was to use it as an example of what a good journal can look like (as suggested by the District 85 English guide, which I often otherwise disregarded). It works that way. It also, at least for a junior high crowd, acts as a sort of balm for common problems fo...more
Brianne
This book is ok not really what I like to read though. It's about a young girl whose Dad gets killed in a car wreck, her mom gets put in a mental hospital. Her sister Cece has to take care of her. They don't have much money they move a lot. Jazmin feels out of place a lot she don't want to wear glasses she changes the way she dresses. She likes to write poetry and sit outside so she can watch the neighborhood. She never really sees her mom much because she don't like hospitals until the end of t...more
Amber Elder
Jazmin's Notebook was a very goo, interesting book. It is about a girl named Jazmin who feels that she is not noticed and nobody cares. Her father died when she was young from cancer and she is still suffering from the loss. All Jazmin want's to do is fit in with the crowd. She lives with her older sister that doesn't have a lot of money to buy her clothes and items that she wants. Jazmin then learns that she has to just except what she has and keep on believing and one day she will live her dre...more
Ms. Isreal
A book by Grimes that combines poetry with a novel. I like this text for both struggling and advanced readers. The topics are deep and untypical for children's literature: orphans - non-tradional families, charity and coming-of-age. I like the frankness of Jazmin and how Grimes doesn't just brutally describe what happens in the text but allows you to infer based on what Jazmin says and composes in her diary.
Sarah Zimmer
Written in diary form, this book is told by Jazmin, a young African American girl living in a bad part of town. Her father died years ago and her mother is hardly ever home, leaving her in the care of her sister, CeCe. She talks about the positives and negatives of her life and what she aspires to be when she grows up. This is a great book for children to read to see another point of view of a different life.
beck
not quite as gripping as, say, Bronx Masquerade...i think it's that the one voice isn't strong enough to carry the whole book on her own...kinda like Don't You Dare Read This, Mrs. Dunphrey.

i'd love to find some journal-style books like The Perks of Being a Wallflower that are a little less edgy (for middle schoolers) but aren't quite as boring as these i'm finding...any suggestions?
Donn Lambert-knox
this book is about this girl named jazmine who is growin up in harlem new york with her sister. she been in every foster home you could amagin in new york city but her and sister have potlucks to raise money to pay the bills. jazmine's mom in the hospital but she afraid to see her. this book was really good and it moved me.
Zara
Nikki Grimes did a great job writing as if it was really only a journal, yet still making everything clear for the reader. Jazmin's story was touching, but unfortunately forgettable. I didn't like it nearly as much as Bronx Masquerade.
Jaimee Schwitchtenberg
Jazmin's Notebook was a good, short read. I love that it got the Coretta Scott King Award. It really deserved it. The story was terrific. My favorite character was CeCe. She was always there for Jazmin. I'd give it five stars.
Teeyanna
This was a great book. It was filled with amazing details, and the writing was astonishing. Have I ever read a book similar to this one? Yes and no. I've never read any of Nikki Grimes books but I have heard of her.
Kat
I read this book in high school. There were very few black female teenage books in my school's library. This was probably the only one. I loved this book. It was like the black version of Harriet the Spy.
Anna
Meh. Just okay.

If you want to read a good Nikki Grimes' book then read Bronx Masquerade instead.
Tanya Windham
One girl's view of life in Harlem during the 60s. Jazmin refuses to let the difficulties of her life keep her from dreaming and pursuing a better lift. I loved the writing style!
Ms. Warchol
I really thought I was going to like this book. There just wasn't enough of a story for me to grab hold of and I didn't really care about the characters.
Sue
Dec 30, 2012 Sue added it
Shelves: adolescent, fiction
Adolescent literacy - good for middle school. Protagonist is 12 year old Af. Am. girl living with sister. Tone is upbeat and hopeful.
Danneylle Thomas
The book was interesting. There's a lot of good parts and it shows how a young girl in Harlem lives. Its definitely worth reading.
Willie Veal
The book is about a girl named jazmin who learns how to fight. Jazmin always keep a notebook with her just in case something happens.
Passione
this is about A girl who spends most of her time on her steps . she writes about her life and different encounters and life events.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Loved it! Sisters living together, and one of them records her thoughts in the form of poetry.
Lily
Lily is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
Chris Scott
Chris Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Bronx Masquerade Words with Wings The Road to Paris Planet Middle School Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope