Start by marking “Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy” as Want to Read:
Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy

Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  32 reviews
After falling in love with la bella Daniela, Chris Harrison uproots his life to follow her to her small hometown on the coast of Puglia and live la dolce vita. Can their relationship possibly survive the eccentric cast of characters they encounter or will the sweet life turn sour? This is an enchanting tale of amore, Italian style.
Published May 7th 2009 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Head Over Heel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head Over Heel

Puppybluesea
ตอนแรกนึกว่าจะอ่านพริ้วๆ แบบ 1 year in Provence แต่มันทำให้เราสะเทือนใจหลายอย่างทั้งเรื่องเหยียดชนชาติ (อย่างรุนแรง) ทั้งๆ ที่เป็นคนในประเทศเดียวกัน ทั้งเรื่องการพัฒนาประเทศ ระบบราชการที่อ่อนแอ ตำรวจคือตัวตลกประจำท้องถิ่น ระบบจราจรที่น่าขนลุก มองอีตาลีคือ ประเทศไทยในอนาคต ถ้าเรายังดำเนินกันอย่างนี้ คำว่าประเทศพัฒนาแล้ว มันจำกัดความยังไงกันแน่?

ปล.สมแล้ว ที่หนังสือได้รางวัล คนเขียน ค้นประวัติศาสตร์ มาเล่าเป็นฉากๆ ทำให้เราเข้าใจอิตาลีดีขึ้นมากๆ

ปล.2 มันไม่ใช่หนังสือนำเที่ยว มันเป็นหนังสือสารคดีนะ

ปล...more
Michelle
The book jacket of Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy promises a “hilarious and captivating story” that features “[a] whitewashed fishing village, a shapely signorina and an infatuated young man — head over heels on the heel of the boot.”

And boy does this book deliver.

Head Over Heel is a sweet, funny love letter from Aussie Chris Harrison (@harrisonwriter on Twitter) to both his Italian wife Daniela and her country, which he, erm, has a special relationship with — the kind I think many of...more
Julie
Actually, they have the title wrong--it is "Head over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy". I read this book while in Italy this past summer; a wonderful, fun read. Loved it.
Kate
Many of us dream of what life might be like if we could pull up roots and move to that picturesque village in Italy, France or any other foreign country that conjures up precious memories of an idyllic vacation experience. I love reading the memoirs of people who have made that leap - and I have read a LOT of these books. Most of them make dealing with bureaucratic red tape and incomprehensible local customs and laws sound humorous and charming. Every mishap works out in the end, allowing the re...more
Betsy

Italy is one of the few places I've been outside the United States, and anything having to do with it always catches my eye. Also, when I went the trip covered nothing south of Rome, so until I can visit Southern Italy myself, I'll just have to read about it.

Thanks to this book, any pipe dreams that may have ever crossed my mind about possibly living abroad now do not include Italy. Head Over Heel was a wonderful read, but if anything, it made me realize how frustrating it can be to live as a fo...more
Baley Petersen
>>Original post: http://thereadersbookblog.blogspot.co...

I love to travel. I'm not sure when it started, but for as long as I can remember, I have felt the urge to wander the world. While I have seen a great many wonderful places, there is always somewhere new to experience for the first time. Since I can't actually afford to spend my money on travel, I read about it instead. Head Over Heel: Seduced By Southern Italy took me to one of the places I have longed to see, and am now more eager...more
Hal
When I first read "Southern Italy" in Harrison's title, I wanted to read it. When I looked at the book and found that it dealt primarily with Puglia, the "heel" of the boot, which was my temporary home for 18 months back in the '60s I HAD to read it. And I wasn't disappointed.

Reading it was a trip back to some of the most memorable times in my life. Old haunts came alive: Brindisi, Bari, Lecce, Taranto, Ostuni, etc., places usually skipped by the tourist. Really familiar was his recollection of...more
Cleffairy
Published on: Library of Lights

Date published: 7th Feb 2011

Review link: http://mykindaland.com/?p=103

Love Italy and traveling to those intriguing places that nobody bothered to mentioned before? Well then this book is definitely for you. Head Over Heel-Seduced by Southern Italy follows the journey of Chris Harrison who fell in love with an Italian signorina. Chris takes us on a hilarious journey to Southern Italy and gives us insight on Italy like never before. Love, culture, and food was all be...more
Joan
I expected more of a travel book... The author spoke of his adaptations to living in Italy, in everything from getting a drivers license to a marriage license, which at times were both enlightening and humorous with the exasperating situations described in detail. Some of his "personal reflections" were in the form of "too much information, however - as such the book read more like a "first draft" than a final one.
Nadia
This book is the perfect read for a sunny holiday in Italy. Not only did it provide me with light entertainment as I zipped up and down the boot, but it also informed my experiences and explained occurrences I might have otherwise not noticed.

Chris Harrison's unusual writing style - it's full of wordplay and puns - makes for an enjoyable read. I may well dip back into it to remember my own experience of Italy.
Julie
When Chris Harrison follows love (by the name of Daniela) to her small town of Andrano on the heel of the Italian boot he does his best to merge himself into his new environment going that extra step to be more than a mere visitor.

Along the way he finds that living in Italy and visiting it are two very different things, especially when you view it from the perspective of South Italy, the less prosperous but still captivating bottom half.

I loved this unique perspective of Italy, especially the co...more
Vero
For an English class I had to choose from a list of books for a presentation and I am glad i decided on this one. Sitting on my balcony on a rainy day, reading about sun, sea and spaghetti made me want to pack my suitcases.

Mr Harrison talks about the first two years he spent in Italy. He talks about, for example, the carabinieri, traditions, traffic, Italy's skill to make an conversation entrily with gesture and of course- the food, and describes these aspects in an honest, true and most of all...more
Annette
I loved this book. it was more than just a book about visiting Italy, living in Italy, adjusting to Italy, loving (and hating) Italy. It was also a delightful personal memoir of the author (australian) falling in love with a enchanting Italian woman, her family, and her town. It is very candid about the strengths and weaknesses of Italy, its people, its way of "getting things done". There are moments where I laughed out loud for some of his frustrations at the same time thinking, "oh better him...more
Danie Cutter
Loved it loved it loved it, could have carried on reading it indefinitely.

He sums up everything I love about Italy along with everything that gets right up my nose and in such a wonderful depiction of the characters that he truly earns his right as one of those Italian (albeit Australian) characters.
Harry

Really enjoying reading this book and especially with my wife and myself have had a holiday in the south so I can relate so much to what it say's. I keep on laughing at it and quoting it to my wife. Really good read.
Easy reading and entertaining.
Carol
Enjoyed the journey with this young man who followed his love to her home in Southern Italy. Appeared to be a realistic description of the delights and frustrations he encountered in this bewildering and gritty culture.
Kangi
Read this book while driving through the South of Italy and it was magical because the towns, the culture, the food and people were exactly like the people in the book that the author describes. Loved it.
Joann
This isn't what I had expected and found it boring. I love travel books but I couldn't get into this one. I didn't finish it. Maybe I'll feel like reading it some other time.
Ava
Jan 28, 2013 Ava rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who`s a friend of Italy
Recommended to Ava by: My collegue
Loved both the athmosphere and the humourous way the authour described how it felt to live in Italy in a real life, not just for a vacation. Liked very much - Chrriss Arrison :)
Lynn P
As I am reading this book, it just makes me want to eat! In fact I pulled out grandma's eggplant parmesan recipe this weekend because it sounded so good.
Rebecca
This book captures the charm and complexities of southern Italy so well. A definite reading requirement for a move to the area.
Rosanne Vogel
This is a great read! Chris Harrison is a good writer who captures the charing lifestyle and people of Southern Italy.
Lynnnadeau
Amusing, insightful, descriptive, very satisfying and enjoyable read before, during and after a visit to Puglia!
Larisa
A very pleasant read. It has encouraged me to put that part of Southern Italy on my map of must visit places.
Lauren
A beautiful story of love, embracing change & new cultural experiences. A very fun and entertaining read.
Tian
omg my uncle wrote this book!!!!!!!i cant believe they have it here!!!!!
Sharon Bettinger
Very interesting book to read if you have or are traveling to Italy.
Tomkeese
Unique insight into the culture and lifestyle of southern Italy.
Cathy
Very funny if you can relate to living in southern Italy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Living in a Foreign Language: A Memoir of Food, Wine, and Love in Italy
  • Three Ways to Capsize a Boat: An Optimist Afloat
  • It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks
  • Walk the Lines: The London Underground, Overground
  • Ripe for the Picking
  • Wild Coast: Travels on South America's Untamed Edge
  • The Lady in the Palazzo: At Home in Umbria
  • La Bella Lingua: My Love Affair with Italian, the World's Most Enchanting Language
  • Tout Sweet: Hanging Up My High Heels For A New Life In Rural France
  • A Year in the Village of Eternity: The Lifestyle of Longevity in Campodimele, Italy
  • Halfway to Each Other: How a Year in Italy Brought Our Family Home
  • Biała gorączka
  • The Venice Experiment: A Year of Trial and Error Living Abroad
  • High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1)
  • The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • Trieste and The Meaning of Nowhere
  • You are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Around Unloved Britain
Happy Eva After Siesta Italiana: Meine Neue Italienische Familie Gigolo Toten Herzen Malandanti I Have What You Want

“...the world is coloured rather than stained by such beliefs,and accepting another's values is far more Christian than falling to your knees every time you see a stained glass window.” 2 likes
“Randy young
couples in Naples don’t even bother with lovers’ lanes they simply park on
any street and paste the windows with newspaper. A daughter with an
encyclopaedic knowledge of current affairs is not something a Neapolitan
father brags about. To ensure the undivided attentions of their partner some
men prefer to paste the windows with the sports newspaper. Maybe that’s
why La Gazzetta dello Sport is pink—to enhance the mood.”
1 likes