For the Earl's Pleasure

For the Earl's Pleasure

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  450 ratings  ·  57 reviews

Beneath every scornful smile . . .

They were once cherished childhood companions, until a scandalous secret tore them apart. Now Valerian Rainewood and Abigail Smart are the fiercest of enemies. To Abigail, Rainewood is a notorious rake, hell-bent on mischief and not fit for polite society. So what if it seems as if he can seduce her with nothing but his eyes? She will not

Published (first published June 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about For the Earl's Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Earl's Pleasure

Catherine
*Originally read 9/12/10 - 9/13/10*

*4.5 Stars*

This book confirms my original supposition about this author's work: We were made for each other. She was made to write these entertaining books, and I was made to read them. :)

Before I get into my review, I would like to make one thing clear...

This is a paranormal historical romance.

There, that should help some readers out. For some reason, the publishers decided to shoot themselves, and the author, in the foot and not mention anywhere in the summar...more
Dd
He was a magnificent animal. Dark and deadly in both looks and wit. Most would describe Valerian Danforth, Lord Rainewood, in terms of a lean strong predator,a panther or a wolf.
Personally, Abigail Smart found him to be the worst kind of bloated ass."Stupid donkey," she muttered as, all sinewy grace and confidence, he matched her step for step around the nearly empty balcony surrounding thecrowded ballroom below."Ill-tempered shrew," came the lazy reply.

Now,can ANYONE blame me for being grippe...more
Katie(babs)
The latest book for my what did I just read files is For the Earl’s Pleasure by Anne Mallory. From the cover and synopsis you would never know this is a supernatural tale. Avon has done this once before, where they tricked this reader with Tempted by the Night by Elizabeth Boyle. The heroine in that book became invisible. There were some WTF moments in that one such as the hero having invisibosex with the invisible heroine. He has no idea what she looks like. They fight supernatural crime, fall...more
Dina
4 1/2 stars (rounded up to 5 stars because I loved Valerian and Abby's relationship so much that the unanswered questions didn't bother me as they should have)
Julie (jjmachshev)
This was probably one of the strangest historicals I've ever read (and believe me that's saying ALOT). As I ponder just what to say about "For the Earl's Pleasure" by Anne Mallory, I'm rather at a loss. My bet is if the setting had been contemporary, this would have been a big hit...but, at least for me, the era is all kinds of wrong for this one. Of course, she's the author, not me-so onward.

Abigail has a BIG secret...she sees ghosts. If she were not titled and searching for a husband, that wou...more
Katyana
***4.5***

This was such an unusual book. Honestly, it is a paranormal romance that happens to be set in 19th century London. I am shocked that they didn't market it that way, because I think a lot of people would really like that. As it is now, those readers sort of have to accidentally fall into this book.

I loved it. And the friends-to-enemies-to-lovers thing doesn't usually jibe with me. But this one worked so well... Mallory played it perfectly. That enemy action really only works if you can s...more
Keri
This was a very unique book. I could not put it down. Abby and Valerian were childhood friends, until one horrible incident tore their friendship apart. But the problem is, they can't stay apart from one another.

That is how their story opens with them at a ball, going at one another with mean hammer and tong. The insults fly fast and furious between the two. Abby is in London trying to nab a husband and Valerian, unbeknown to Abby is doing everything he can to stop it. The problem is that other...more
Richa
Actually it's more of a 3.5 stars........would've given it 4 stars if only certain things were not missing....like an epilogue, proper explanations about certain events...or rather the reasons behind the occurrence of those events...some loose ends ..and few other things.

All in all it was different from the usual kind of historical romance and I found it to be very entertaining, sweet, funny and enjoyable......

I would recommend it to people who like reading romances and are looking for something...more
Elaine Mcdonald
Katyana's review pretty well sums it up. I liked the book, it seems when there is a mystery in the book it is more interesting to me than the typical boy and girl hate each other and then get together at the end of the book type theme. It IS a Paranormal. Those of you that do not like that will not like this.

If you like The Sixth Sense, I see ghost... you will probably like this one just fine!
Pamela(AllHoney)
I definitely give it a 4 for entertainment value. For the reality issue, well, it is fiction. I had a hard time starting this book and wondered if I should just let it go but I continued to the 2nd chapter and kept reading. I decided to give it 3 stars based on some issues I had with certain turns of events.
Sharon
For the Earl's Pleasure, Anne Mallory - I have been on a reading binge of Anne Mallory lately. I would give it a solid B as I find Mallory to be a very good writer and one who writes emotional romances well. This novel (silly title) is a paranormal romance, which makes it interesting in that it is also a historical romance. The H/h have a deeply entrenched antagonistic relationship based on years of resentment after a youthful separation and misunderstanding. Their way back to each other is comp...more
Lover of Romance
When I started to read For The Earl's Pleasure, I expected it to be more like the previous book that I had read....boy was I wrong, I definitely was in for a surprise. It starts out with Valerian and Abigail getting into quite a few intense verbal sparring matches, that I definitely found amusing. But then one eveing Valerian gets attacks and starts to appear to Abigail as a ghost. So at first I was a bit confused, because I honestly didn't expect any paranormal aspect to this book. But I found...more
Danae
The blurb and book summary erroneously lead one to believe this is a regular historical romance whereas it is a historical paranormal romance. A well written one that sucks one into the story and makes one care for what will happen to Valerian, Lord Rainewood and Abigail, a young cit who sees spirits but tries to hide it as it would stigmatise her and her family. Valerian and Abby have been childhood friends turned sweethearts, who are separated due to miscommunication and misunderstanding. Many...more
Elis Madison
Abigail Smart has a vicious enemy in Valerian Rainewood. They were once good friends until his older brother died and he became heir. Now he's one of those mean popular people who enjoys crushing those who are beneath him—and she's beneath him (not in the good way). He only notices her when he needs someone to sneer at.

Abigail also has a secret—well, more than one—but the big one is…

Yup. She sees dead servants tupping against the ballroom walls, and dead crazy aunties prattling about lemons in...more
Lord Rose
That... Was not at all what I expected. The summary led me to believe that this was a perfectly normal historical romance, as it gives absolutely no hint of anything paranormal, including the fact that the hero is a ghost for fully 85% of the book. I have read one other book by Mallory, and it certainly contained no hint of the paranormal.

The beginning was a bit confusing, referencing secrets and past strife between the hero and heroine, but not actually explaining any of it. After the hero went...more
penelopewanders
Thought this would be a quick light read, but it's rather somber, between those who see spirits and those who wish to annihilate them (and those who see them...).
I found the writing rather ponderous at the beginning and it truly took me a while to get into it... Found myself rereading paragraphs to be sure I had understood what the author was getting at, for example. Although this is listed as a stand alone novel, I also kept wondering if I was missing some background information I should have h...more
Veri
Erin H
Sharyn
Took a while to work out what was going on in this book - the first couple of chapters were very confusing. Once I realised the book was really a paranormal historical romance things began to make more sense. I quite enjoyed the book after that although suspension of disbelief is required for some of the plot twists.
Sharon
When I started reading the 1st chapters I thought, damn, Anne Mallory is going to let me down on this one.

But, I stuck with it (filler while I wait for my Buddy Read book).

Well, Mallory did it again. I find this author has a talent for creating the most unexpected plots.

I don't know where or who the title of this book, FOR THE EARL'S PLEASURE, came from. Very weird. As a matter of fact, the entire plot was weird for a Regency, but I REALLY enjoyed it.

Spitfire heroine
Supernatural elements
Attempte...more
René
Wow - this is definitely original storyline for the genre, while still hitting all the necessary regency romance requirements. The end seemed to wrap up too quick & neatly, but otherwise an enjoyable read.
Jultri
3.5. Great writing style and sizzling chemistry between the leads but I'm not into supernatural plot lines and the misunderstanding that led to their estrangement was rather flimsy.
Jynt
I liked it before it went all paranormal on me- despite knowing this was a story with paranormal elements.
Ana
I liked it in the beginning. Just did not care for the paranormal aspect of it.
Teresa
In reading the reviews on this website and on Amazon I wasn't expecting much out of this book but actually I think it's one of the author's best. Perhaps it's because I knew from reading the reviews to expect a bit about ghosts. Perhaps it's because I often read fantasy novels, where you don't go in with any expectations about what is and is not possible.

Anyway, I thought this novel was a real page turner. I was really interested in finding out the answer to the mysteries and I thought the char...more
Quinn
May 22, 2011 Quinn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical and paranormal romance lovers
Shelves: romance
HOT HOT HOT! So hot, I am not giving it to the library like I usually do with my read books. I'm keeping this bad boy.

Valerian is great as the male protagonist to me because I would actually fall for him. I can't say that for most of the romance novel males. Abby is agreeable to me- she's not boring like some of the other ladies that inhabit these stories.

Yes, I was surprised there was a supernatural bend to the story, since it wasn't written in the cover description. But I'm happy that I bough...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Abigail can see dead people, and it scares most away from her when she talks with them in front of others. Valerian is now the heir to the dukedom and knows Abigail and her secrets from childhood. He has an even greater appreciation to her gift now that he has been straddling the line between alive and dead for weeks and she is the only one who can see and talk to him. A psychotic man with torturous ideas, kidnappings, a family secret, and true love that has been there since childhood, make this...more
Cecilia
Well, this book was very little like what I was expecting from the blurb, but I read paranormals, so I was ok with those elements. I wasn't crazy with the climax, in that the motives of the antagonists and sequence of events seemed rather over the top, but I so enjoyed how the the author doled out tiny bits of information about the past and wove everything together, that I decided not to be stingy with the stars. Really more a 3.5.
Megan
I was confused at first (like others) not knowing this was a paranormal historical romance but I have to say I really enjoyed it. While it was obvious what was going to happen in the HEA, I liked the journey through the 2 characters past and present issues. Because it was some what different of a perspective of a historical (paranormal) I gave it 4 stars because I feel that added more to the book. I'd recommend for light reading.
  • One Week As Lovers (Huntington, #3)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Compromised
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Stolen Kisses
  • The Wicked Wyckerly (Rebellious Sons, #1)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • Indiscreet
  • In My Heart (Donally Family, #1)
  • Sinful in Satin (The Rarest Blooms #3)
  • To Love a Dark Lord
  • Simply Scandalous
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • Every Night I'm Yours (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2)
Some people have always known they wanted to write. Others fall into it and discover its inherent joy. I’m somewhere in between. As an avid reader, writing a novel had always tickled the back of my mind. There seem to be a lot of people who say, “Someday I’ll write a book.” For me, the feeling tickled, moved into an incessant knocking and finally became a dull roar. All I needed was to make that “...more
More about Anne Mallory...
Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1) Three Nights of Sin One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2) In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3) Masquerading the Marquess (Lords of Intrigue, #1)

“[My marriage to Abby] won't even be a blip on the gossip sheets unless we treat it as such.'
'Everything is fodder for the gossip sheets.'
'Not if we don't dignify it with a response and just go along as if this is the way things will be.”
1 likes