Start by marking “Wonder Woman, Vol. 5: Rise of the Olympian” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman, Vol. 5: Rise of the Olympian

Wonder Woman, Vol. 5: Rise of the Olympian (Wonder Woman III #5)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When the gods change their plans for man's world, it's up to Wonder Woman to protect humanity against an invading army of male warriors and a new adversary called Genocide. An army of Olympians has risen for an all-out assault on war across the globe and only Wonder Woman can stop them in this new title collecting issues #20-27! One particular attack could spell the end of ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman, Vol. 5

Wonder Woman, Vol. 1 by Brian AzzarelloWonder Woman by Greg RuckaWonder Woman, Vol. 2 by Brian AzzarelloWonder Woman, Vol. 3 by Gail SimoneWonder Woman by Greg Rucka
Best of Wonder Woman
18th out of 59 books — 30 voters
Accelerando by Charles StrossThe First Pillar by Roy HuffSingularity Sky by Charles StrossThe Atrocity Archives by Charles StrossSaturn's Children by Charles Stross
Swancon 2013 Reading List
42nd out of 93 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
I love the way Gail Simone writers Wonder Woman. No exception here, though there's a lot going on. I feel like I may have missed a few plot threads here and there to fully understand the storyline, but I knew enough to enjoy it. Really liked the art, and the two page spread of Diana, Donna Troy, and Cassie in coordinating Amazonian battle armor is awesome beyond words.
Katie
Wonder Woman battles a nearly unbeatable monster called Genocide, while Zeus hatches some misguided patronizing scheme to replace the Amazons with men folk. Some of the vague subplots involving the Department of Metahuman Affairs seem to have been fleshed out here, though it probably didn't help that I skipped a volume. Overall this story appealed to me even less than The Circle, because here's the thing about Genocide: her portrayal is both overserious, given the ridiculous costume, and not ser ...more
Kim Dyer
I have some mixed feelings about this volume.

While I continue to love the way that Simone writes Diana, the story just seemed too disjointed and poorly paced. Particularly towards the end of this trade, stuff just seemed to happen very quickly with very little explanation, leaving me to only assume that I've missed out on some side comics that tie into these events. Donna's sudden turn against Diana was really out of character and never adequately explained, and the final issue was just wrapped
Sorcha
Picked up in hardback. I have read few Wonder Woman stories, but recognise Gail's name enough to try out a few. There for I am sure there are some WW (and JLA) subtexts in this story that I'm not getting simply because I've not got the back story.

Anyway Zeus, leader of the gods the Amazonians worship, decides that the Amazonians deserve some peace and quiet after all the centuries as warriors. He therefore creates a new warrior race to take the mantel so the Amazonians can retire into seclusion.
Alexandra
So yes, I'm getting me some graphic novel lovin'.

I don't have much background in Wonder Woman and her universe; I knew that her people are Amazons, and that was about it. I don't know whether the origin story posited here was partly or totally a reboot, etc etc. It kinda doesn't matter, actually, at least not for my enjoyment of the story. There were obviously bits that didn't have the emotional impact that it might for long-term fans; I could see it was devastating when friends got hurt, or tur
Xavier Guillaume
Feb 10, 2012 Xavier Guillaume rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wonder Woman Fans, Comic Book Fans
Shelves: graphic-novel
An incredible read. I absolutely love, love, love Genocide's villainry. She is basically pure evil, which is a nice foil to Wonder Woman's remarkably noble and do-good character. I don't think I've been as frightened from a female villain since Typhoid Mary from Spider-Man.

I also greatly appreciated the role Zeus plays in this book. Zeus really is never to be trusted because he always seems to be motivated by revenge and jealousy, and this it is surely the case in Wonder Woman also. I was so fri
Brian Williams
WONDER WOMAN: RISE OF THE OLYMPIAN
Writer, Gail Simone, Grant Morrison; Geoff Johns
Artist, Aaron Lopresti, Matt Ryan; Bernard Chang

Published by DC Comics

I don't think anything Gail Simone could have written for Wonder Woman would have reached the level of fan anticipation for her becoming the writer on the series. Everyone for the longest time mentioned her writing the book every time they saw something negative with another writer taking the character.

I told myself the above as I checked this vo
Sophie
Hm. I think I liked this one a lot better the first time I read it. The second time, I had quite a few problems, so now it's three instead of four stars.

What I do like about this collection is the introduction of the Olympian. Zeus, deciding that his Amazons have done enough and deserve rest and peace and quiet, grants them mortality and creates Achilles to lead a bunch of men to do what Wonder Woman and the Amazons could never do - finally end all war. I love Achilles, and it was great to see t
CKE387
I loved the artwork by artists Aaron Lopresti, Matt Ryan, Bernard Chang and colorists Brad Anderson and Alex Sinclair. The writing by Gail Simone did give everyone, even minor characters, their own personalities. I really liked the argument between Diana and Donna - the expression on Donna's face really fitted the character and her mood in that moment. I loved the scene between Genocide (main enemy in this story) and Etta Candy-Trevor - after seeing Wonder Woman defeated by this abomination, and ...more
Jerry Daniels
Rise of the Olympian seems disjointed as a couple of stories are told and woven to shape the future of Wonder Woman, her Amazonian family, friends, and colleagues at the Department of Metahuman Affairs.

It introduces characters, based on those in Greek mythology, as they discover their land vandalized. Next, it cuts agent Diana Prince and a group of subordinates about to embark on a mission that gets interrupted - twice. The second interruption leads to the introduction of "Wonder Woman's " new
J
Storyline was fine. However, I might be spoiled. George Perez's artwork makes everything else just okay. Artwork was okay.
Joe
Good action, fun story.
That Zeus, what a guy. Never a dull moment. [not he one I'd pick to follow]
Over to soon.
Guess I need more Wonder Woman.
Ben Mariner
This right here is why everyone should read and LOVE Wonder Woman. Everyone writes her off as some stupid woman superhero that's lame and no fun. So WRONG! The story here was amazing. Genocide is one of the most terrifying villains ever. Genetically/magically enhanced to just kill everything without a single second of remorse. This book just dove head first into Wonder Woman's limitations and boundaries. If you can read this and not see Diana, Princess of the Amazons in a different light, you're ...more
Steve
A little disjointed, Wonder Woman: Rise of the Olympian is about two stories.

The first is a powerful new enemy created by the Society of Supervillains, a monstrous being called Genocide that is the complete opposite of Diana in every way, but equally powerful.

The second is Zeus attempting to get back Diana's favour by talking to Kane Milohai, but everything does not go as planned.

Both stories are intertwined into a powerful and intense climax, and the aftermath paves the way for the next install
Epeeblade
I thought this was pretty dark.
Kristen
Personally, I felt like Rise of the Olympian had a bit of a slow start. I wasn't feeling the stakes at first, but the drama did build up and ended in some epic, awe-inspiring moments. Hippolyta has some shining moments along with Diana. The story gets really interesting with the twist about Genocide and the involvement of the Amazons. Achilles is a nice addition too. As usual for this series, the art is beautiful throughout.
Rosa
Apparently I have read this before, and now that I think about it I feel like the story seemed kind of familiar. A number of frequent Wonder Woman villains team up inspired by Ares to create Genocide, an evil God. At the same time the Greek Gods return to Earth and Zues makes a promise to Aphrodite to take care of the Amazons. Zues thinks this means replacing them so they can rest. He raises former famous male warriors from the grave and creates a male from the heart of a Hawiian god.

Pturingan
Very nice superhero story with a suitably epic feel to it. I only have two minor complaints:

1) Genocide's costume was just ridiculous. Almost had a 90s Image Comics feel to it. I also did not like the Greek Gods outfits.
2) Although the title of the volume is Rise of the Olympian, I felt that the character (the Olympian) did not get as much time in the spotlight as he deserved.

Nevertheless, I found this to be a very satisfying story and look forward to the next volumes.
Wolverina
Not as strong as the first two of Simone's volumes, yet still a great book. It contains appropriate levels of subversion, metaphor and awareness tied into it's mythology and an amazing amount of kicking arse added in to it. However the story is a lot more disjointed I think it really needed to be and as a result doesn't quite build up as it otherwise should.

Definitely worth checking out but prehaps not a great starting point.
Iain
After two solid volumes of solid superhero comics, this was a bit of a disappointment. It actually starts to suffer from some of the more typical weaknesses of modern comics: underdeveloped antagonists, reliance on previous knowledge, disjointed storytelling, skimpy plotting, action at the expense of character, and an unwarranted and ultimately hollow sense of the story's weight and import. It was hard to care, basically.
Emily
Feb 23, 2010 Emily added it
Shelves: comics
I've always liked Gail Simone's writing. This compilation is packed with plenty of action. Simone has attempted to create a Doomsday-like villain for Wonder Woman's rogues gallery in the person of Genocide. I'm not sure I'm totally sold on Genocide or the new "Olympians" but it is good to see Diana kick some ass. And I was really pleased that this story ended up tying into "The Circle" as well! Yay continuity!
Rachel
In terms of storytelling, not quite as tight as Simone's previous titles. But this is still the Diana I love: strong, conflicted, compassionate, but willing to do bad things if pushed too far. I often find myself liking the idea of Wonder Woman more than the actual character, but not in this case: for all the story's minor shortcomings, Gail Simone gives me the superheroine I've always wanted.
Jena
3.5/5
Georgia Taylor
Is it just me, or are storylines never fully explained in comics like this - with iconic main characters. I love Wonder Woman so I'm trying to actually read her books, instead of just loving her and knowing nothing about her besides her fabulous physique.

I tend to feel lost when I've been reading all of these comics lately - is this normal?
Eric
The best of Gail Simone Wonder Woman. The idea that Zeus is making a male equivalent of Themyscira to counter the Amazon's is neat and leads to great action and Wonder Woman's conflict over the gods. This is one of the few Wonder Woman's where I'm excited to read the next volume.
Kristeen
Bought this because a woman wrote it. Then I had to read the history of Wonder Woman to catch up with what was going on. I was disappointed with the story. But it did have Etta Candy tied up which made it more in keeping with and original William Moulton Marston Wonder Woman theme.
David Monroe
I picked up four of Gail Simone's Wonder Woman Graphic Novels at the Library. I like this one as much as "The Circle." Simone is the best Wonder Woman writer I've ever read. She should be attached to any movie script about WW. Simone should also do a TV series with Joss Whedon.
Jeff
This is a great bit of super hero adventure. I particularly liked the villain Genocide as she brought a dark but fascinating side of Wonder Woman to light. Specifically having a noble warrior face evil and refusing to give up on her ideals in the face of great cruelty.
Maria
I have to say, I absolutely love how Gail Simone writes Wonder Woman. She makes her a warrior, a princess, a champion, a human, and a woman without loosing any of the fundamental principles that makes her who she is. Superb.
Shannon Appelcline
A complex web of stories that offer great characters, really advance the plot of Diana's world, and also give great insight into her decisions about killing, adding a nice cap to the older Max Lord story.
  • Wonder Woman: Eyes of the Gorgon
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Challenge of the Gods
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 2
  • Wonder Woman: Amazons Attack!
  • Wonder Woman: Lifelines
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Love and Murder
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Wonder Woman III (7 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Love and Murder
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 6: Warkiller
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 7: Contagion
Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection Batgirl, Vol. 2: Knightfall Descends Villains United Batgirl, Vol. 3: Death of the Family Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: End Run