Start by marking “Panda and Polar Bear” as Want to Read:
Panda and Polar Bear

Panda and Polar Bear

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A little polar bear wonders what?s beyond his wintry world?and when he falls over the edge of an ice cliff, he finds out! He?s soon befriended by a panda who mistakes the mud-covered polar bear for one of his own. The two become quick pals. But what happens when the polar bear?s muddy splotches wash off? Will the two bears stay friends?From the much lauded author of Be Gen ...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Panda and Polar Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Panda and Polar Bear

Chu's Day by Neil GaimanPandas by Anne SchreiberA Perfect Time for Pandas by Mary Pope OsborneThe Panda's Thumb by Stephen Jay GouldPanda and Polar Bear by Matthew Baek
Yay, pandas!
4th out of 11 books — 8 voters
Dear Panda by Miriam LatimerZen Shorts by Jon J. MuthHi, Koo! by Jon J. MuthThat's Not My Panda by Fiona WattLittle Panda by Renata Liwska
Picture Books With Pandas
17th out of 45 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Skoobdoog
One day a small polar bear falls from his snowy cliff into a patch of mud and ends up looking like a panda. A small panda finds the polar bear and confuses him for a panda. They become fast friends in spite of their differences and learn from each other. Eventually, they make a bamboo ladder so the polar bear can go back home, and in the end they decide to spend time together in both worlds as they are neighbors in a zoo. The illustrations are made in lovely watercolours. The division between th ...more
Sandi Roe
A little confusing, until you realize the animals live in a zoo. It is a wonderful story of two bears, who are quite different, becoming friends. The curious polar bear, gets too curious, and falls into the panda bear section. As he falls into mud and becomes spotted up like the panda, the panda doesn't realize he's a polar bear at first. Instead of being put off by their differences, panda is very interested in knowing all about snow once he knows his new friend is a polar bear.
Michael
What happens when a Panda Bear and a Polar Bear meet? Some of life lessons are written and illustrated in this "picture book" for young readers.
Erin
This is a clever story about two bears who live next to each other in a zoo. A polar bear cub falls from his frozen tundra into the wet, rich exhibit of a panda bear. The polar bear's white fur is muddied in just the right places, and the resident panda cub mistakes him for another panda. The two pal around together until the polar bear's muddy patches wear off, and by then the bear cubs have become good friends.

The story was clever and adorable and much more creative than I imagined it would be
jacky
I had to pass a half an hour waiting for my work at Staples to be ready, so I read children's books at Mr. Paperback looking for a special birth day book for Natalie.

This was my favorite book I read today. Due to the Snuffle bears in our family, I love anything with cute little bears. The illustrations really helped to enhance the cute story for me. I liked the simplicity of a panda and a polar bear meeting and how they would play together. The only negative was the last page was a little disap
Karen!
Adorable book with lovely illustrations. I have to admit, about halfway through I had a bit of a freak attack. "No wonder the world is going to shit," I thought "No wonder people do not know anything about World Geography. This book is the root of the problem."

You see, a baby Panda bear and a baby Polar bear become besties when the polar bear plops into the Panda bear's bamboo field. And then they climb a ladder into the north pole. Insert my freak out here. And then I was proven wrong. They wer
Jennifer Tarr
In this sweet tale, two bears of different backgrounds find friendship, and learn from each other's differences. What makes it stand-out to me? The illustrations, which create the "ah hah!" for the readers. By examining the watercolor pictures, young readers and pre-readers can make predictions and actively participate in describing the unfolding of events. After readers learn the twist, they'll want to re-read to observe it from the beginning.
Maggie KutsBorg
I like this, but I'd like it more if it were just a fantasy instead of revealing at the end that the bears live in a zoo.
Karen
This is an adorable book -- I mean, a panda bear AND a polar bear. What more do you want?

The action takes place in an imaginary land where Spring meets Winter. Spring and Winter are separated by a huge cliff. So are the panda and the polar bear. Until one curious polar bear finds himself at the bottom of the cliff. What follows is a celebration of differences and sameness and bear ingenuity and true friendship.
Bridget R. Wilson
Panda lives where its sunny and warm. Polar bear lives where it’s cold and snowy. The difference in their climates prevents them from meeting. But one day, Polar bear gets curious. He leaves his snowy world and makes a new friend.

What I thought: What a neat idea. I’d never thought about zoo animals wanting to visit one another. I love Baek’s illustrations. They are soft colored and just right for the story.
This is about a polar bear who falls into mud and is mistaken to be a panda bear. He finds a panda bear friend, and they play together until the polar bear's patches come off in the water. The panda bear thinks it's cool, and he helps the polar bear get back home, in the process opening up the possibilities of polar bears and panda bears being friends. Cute story and fun pictures.
Nancy
This is a beautiful book. The illustrations and story are both just wonderful! We checked it out from the library a few days ago and have already read it several times--my husband read it to our daughter before bed and when he finished he asked if I had read it to her yet. When I said I hadn't he said, "Well, you'll have to! It's a great story." And it is.
Jess Brown
Polar bear ventures to panda's world, in this cute story. After getting splotched in mud, polar bear fits right in with the panda bears. It's not until his mud washes away that the pandas realize he's not really one of them. Polar bear's new friend panda bear helps him find his way back home. An endearing story about new friends and differences.
carissa
A little polar bear wonders what’s beyond his wintry world—and when he falls over the edge of an ice cliff, he finds out! He’s soon befriended by a panda who mistakes the mud-covered polar bear for one of his own. The two become quick pals. But what happens when the polar bear’s muddy splotches wash off? Will the two bears stay friends?
The Library Lady
No gimmicks. No fancy foldouts, celebrity author/illustrator or "extras" in the packaging.

Sweet without a trace of saccharine, true to the sort of feelings kids can empathize with without over anthropomorphizing the characters. Art and story blend perfectly.

This is a lovely example of what a really good picture book can be.
Tiffany
I was a bit wary that this was going to be forgettable and cheesy, but this was actually a very sweet and clever story about two different animals who become friends in an unexpected way. Nice ending.
I appreciated the story more because it was based on the author's own experiences as an immigrant.
Shanda Kinkade
Pandas and polar bears are two of my favorite animals so I did let out a small squeak when I spotted it. The illustrations are beautiful and it's yet another story of how those who are different can still be very good friends. I love this book and might have to purchase it for myself.
Mary Mest
Great book about a cute polar bear who decides to see just what is at the edge of his world. He falls into a jungle and some mud. The rest is very adorable. This book also teaches tolerance to small children, just because someone looks different doesn't mean they aren't awesome!
Jeffrey
An enjoyable story about a polar bear who ends up accidentally falling into the home of pandas. It's cute and reads aloud well, repeating difficult words so you can help your child the first time and allow them to build confidence when they read the second.
Megan Sanchez
Very sweet story about a curious polar bear in the zoo who ends up in the panda exhibit. Super cute illustrations and a great story about the differences that make us all unique. I would love to see more from this author.
Boni
I think this is the most adorable picture book I've read this year. I don't always go for adorable, but this one is a real winner without being too sweet- and the illustrations are terrific.
Pamela Hubbard
This was an adorable story of two little bears who learn how the other lives and learns that it's okay to be friends with people who are different from you. The illustrations were way too cute!
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This book is so sweet! The watercolor illustrations make you want to just reach out and cuddle a bear or two. A little long for a toddler time read, but preschool storytimes will love this.
Chrystal
This was a darling story about how we often are drawn to those who are like us, but that we can build friendships with those who are different that are just as rewarding.
Agnes
A story of unlikely friendship, good will, and exploration between two very different but also very alike characters. Written and illustrated by a young Asian-American.
Sarah Souther
Where winter meets spring, a polar bear and a panda bear meet. A case of mistaken identity and a surprise ending make this story of friendship fun for preschoolers.
Joy Myers
This book shows diversity and how the two different bears can still be friends. It also shows problem solving to help others overcome an obstacle.
Janet
Polar suddenly finds himself in Panda bear's world and they are playfriends until Polar bear suddenly becomes homesick. Appealing illustratins.
Allison
Love it! A polar bear meets a panda bear, but can they still be friends even though they are different?

"Where are your Panda Patches?!"
Molly
A great little story about mismatched friends. Kids and parents alike enjoyed this in storytime, especially the little twist ending!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • Mr. Putney's Quacking Dog
  • I'm The Best
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • I Spy With My Little Eye