Start by marking “Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life ” as Want to Read:
Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life

Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,182 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
My goal is to someday be the person my dog thinks I am. --Anonymous

Bestselling author Dean Koontz says that his dog, Trixie, changed his life and made him a better, happier person. A 68-pound dog who lived close to the ground, Trixie certainly did cast a long shadow. She first became known outside of her own house (dog-house, that is) as a guest blogger on Dean's website,

Audiobook, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bliss to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bliss to You

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Jun 17, 2014 Dustin Crazy little brown owl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humans who love dogs and/or want to be Happy
A great & happy tail told through the eyes of a Wonderful Dog.This book makes me so happy :-) I read this back in 2009 and in 2012 I listened to the audiobook with the introduction read by Dean Koontz. Read again on New Years Day 2013. Listened/Read again June 2014. Listed below are Trixie's 8 steps of bliss, but I recommend reading the short book or listening to the 1 hour audio so that Trixie can elaborate on each of these steps for you.

1. Be Calm - Reside in Quiet Heart
2. See the World in
Monica Tarrant
Mar 21, 2013 Monica Tarrant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a dog lover and one who thinks I know what my dog is thinking at all times, this was a short listen (book on CD) on yesterday's drive to work. It put life in perspective and reminds us to slow down and appreciate what is in front of us and not to worry about the future - to live in the present. This was the third of his books written from the perspective of his golden retriever but in this book, his dog Trixie is speaking to him from the "other side" as she has passed on. Ember (my dog) is 14 ...more
Josie
Jan 14, 2013 Josie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: group-read, work
Ohmigod, any uplifting or self improvement message is ruined by the poor use of language in this book. I don't care if you're pretending that your dog wrote it: verbs and pronouns and important and useful pieces of speech. If you decide to drop them you need to be consistent. If you decide to use them, be consistent.

I will never get that time back. At least it was a quick read.
Margie
Feb 09, 2016 Margie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute book written through Trixie, Dean's beloved Golden Retriever. A little hard to adjust to the way it's written but a quick read.
Stacey
I was drawn to this book mostly because of Trixie's picture on the cover and the fact that I am a dog lover. I thought this book would be great, especially told from a dog's point of view. I was disappointed though with Trixie's broken English and sentence structure. I think I was expecting something more along the lines of Marley and Me and this book is simply not the same.
To be fair, I did listen to this book on CD and from the very first word I was disappointed with the person reading.
Christyn
Bliss To You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life was not quite what I expected. I will admit the broken english and grammar was a bit distracting and took a little getting used to. But sometimes the simple, broken english got across the point better than any flowery words could.

"See sad, must do something. Why? Am dog. Want world as happy as dogs are happy."

According to Trixie the 8 Steps to bliss are:

1) Calm - Find Quiet Heart.
2) Beauty - See the world in all it's beauty
3) Fun
4)Meaning - Find
Traci Steele
Jan 17, 2015 Traci Steele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book in the library and scanned the first couple pages as I was waiting for my children to pick their own books. Having read a majority of Dean Koontz's books, and finding his use of canine companions endearing, I thought this could be entertaining. It was so much more. I fell in love with the book. It touched me so much that I immediately wanted to share it with my high school disadvantaged students. (You think the dog grammar in the book is hard to read? Try reading it out lou ...more
Mary
Apr 15, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, juvenile
This is a short book-can be read in an hour or so but you will probably read it many times. It is written by Dean Koontz with the real author being his much loved but deceased dog Trixie. Trixie channels through Dean's computer while he sleeps. The book is a joy to read. No murder, mayhem, evil, or fast paced adventure. You will miss none of that. Instead I laughed at the silliness, the honesty, simplicity and love that comes from the narrative. As always, Koontz adds sarcasm, humor, and throws ...more
Vicki Jaeger
Aug 12, 2009 Vicki Jaeger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hmm, probably wouldn't
Recommended to Vicki by: advance reading copy
The writing in the voice of Trixie, his dog, was a bit too "twee" (saccharine sweet & precocious) for me. If you can get past that, there are some nice little observations about life. But it's really more like a "thought a page" book, not really a content-driven book.
Joanne
Nov 24, 2008 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Everyone should really read this book - if you don't mind shedding a few tears at the end. Trixie's lessons for life are right on the mark......or, er, pawprint.
Karol
May 22, 2016 Karol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through reading Trixie's book I realized that I do go into Quiet Heart when I sit with our dogs in the yard. We enjoy our outdoor space as we are uplifted by the breeze fluttering through the trees and garden.
We have focused on the different steps to bliss and we often revisit each one.
With great comfort I can cuddle up indoors with my dogs and achieve a similar feeling of calm and joy as I reflect on myself and breathe in every bit of these magnificent beings that show unconditional love and
Lori
All I can say is Trixie has the best advice to a happy life that a dog can give! I have a wonderful Golden much like Trixie at my side every day and night. She speaks to me via body language and mental apathy. I am one of the biggest skeptics on mental telepathy and many New Age things but my Goldens have taught me that Goldens are one of the furry animals with so much love and wisdom to give and share and love! If you want to have a great or better life to adopt a Golden and read books by Trixi ...more
Sandy
Mar 05, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It made me cry and laugh. It helps to be a dog lover.
Alan Livingston
What a wonderful treat this book is! Less a novel than a short collection of brief, positive and inspiring thoughts, expect to measure this read in minutes, not hours or days. This might be a perfect gift for friends or stocking stuffers for anyone, or for the coffee table for visiting guests. I’ll be ordering a few copies soon, for just all those purposes. I can see this as particularly thoughtful for someone dealing with a recent or lingering loss. Mine aren’t so recent and I found the content ...more
Kunal
Apr 15, 2013 Kunal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I randomly picked up when I was walking through the aisles in the library that has failed me. This should be a reminder of why I should never pick up random books from the library based on their covers!

Overall, this was a horrible book. I thought it may have potential as the book is supposed to be written from a dog's point of view of how we can all find happiness and I felt that it was a book that dog lovers would appreciate (although I hate dogs, thought it would be good for
Homewood Public Library
Trixie was a beautiful and fun loving Golden Retriever. She enriched the lives of Dean and his wife for many years. Now she is gone but has dictated this book to Dean's computer for him to share with us. Understand that the priorities that we have in life may be some different from those of Trixie but her purpose is to help us achieve bliss. Each chapter is Trixie giving short, pithy suggestions on finding another part of bliss. Two chapters are on dog wisdom. Throughout she wants us to do or ex ...more
Melissa Cannon
Jul 19, 2014 Melissa Cannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in the Dollar Tree and bought all I could find! I've shared them with my friends and with my depression support group. This book is written through the spirit of Trixie, beloved dog of Dean Koontz. It gives insight to the life of dogs and why we would be happier if we lived like they do! Each page brightened my day and a smile is guaranteed!
Gene Gee
Mar 25, 2015 Gene Gee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, how to write a legitimate review (which I wish to do) without gushing all over your computer screen with syrupy accolades that seem too good to be true is creating quite the conundrum here.

Let's try this, I am not going to enter a date I finish the book because I, nor my family, will never finish the book I suspect. We as a family have read through this wonderful perspective on life from Trixie Koontz (four-legged daughter of the famously successful novelist) at least half a dozen times.

The
kari
Mar 18, 2012 kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
A profound little book with lots to say and a sense of fun. Example:

"The world is fun. Meadows to run. Ponds to swim. Hills, valleys, shores to explore. A bajillion things to smell. So much to learn, to see. Cats to chase.

Warning: can't achieve bliss if catch cat. Cats are only for chasing. Catch cat, get lacerated nose, go to vet, get cuts sewn shut, needle in butt, and everybody laughing, especially cat."

This is written by Trixie Koontz from "the other side." I laughed and cried. Trixie is ver
Alondra Preciado
Jun 13, 2014 Alondra Preciado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
I really enjoyed this book! It was a very quick read (I read it in a couple of hours). Once you get past the broken English, it is a nice, simple, cute book for dog lovers and dog owners alike. I actually read this book with my dog on my lap the whole time. X
Kenneth Foreman
Jan 17, 2015 Kenneth Foreman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of our favorite books by Dean & Trixie Koontz!

Kiyomi repeatedly asks for me to read it to her
Jen
Jan 12, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-books
Fun, uplifting, positive bits of doggy wisdom that made me laugh out loud several times, including, but not limited to

Mailman does not come to house to kill us all. Comes to house to torture and then kill.

Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean. More for the dog.

Here is another dumb saying: it is what it is. No kidding. If it isn't what it is, then what would it be? And if it is what it isn't, what the hell is going on here? ...Some human sayings not dumb, just painfully obvious.
Simone Burkeen
May 13, 2014 Simone Burkeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book so much! A must for dog lovers, or people who are not dogs to understand them better. This book is a beautiful blessing.
Feb 03, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a case of reading the right book at the right time. I was feeling a little blue and very stressed out and this book made me think about my life and I realized the things I was stressing over were really nothing to be stressed about at all. I received more wisdom and advice from this book, "written" by a deceased dog than I usually care to seek out from those closest to me. It made me laugh, cry, smile, and think. This is one book I intend to purchase for myself. I recommend this book fo ...more
Art
Dec 10, 2015 Art rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different kind of Koontz book! Life as seen through the eyes of his dog Trixie. A fun, light read.
Kellie
Awww, this was so sweet and of course brought tears to my eyes. I've been a fan of Dean Koontz for a very long time, and used to love reading the "columns" from Trixie that I used to get delivered to my inbox via his website.

You can tell that Dean and his wife Gerda loved Trixie very much and that she was a big part of their family. I loved the story of the golden butterfly, and I too believe that was Trix letting them know she was okay. :D

There's actually some very good thoughts in this book; I
Joy Phillips- Chidester
Nov 04, 2015 Joy Phillips- Chidester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Right on! I didn't think I would end up weepy eyed. I need to own this one!
Stefanie Martelli
Cutest book! Philosophy from a dogs viewpoint..
Tony
Oct 13, 2009 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love dogs like I do, you'll really enjoy this book. It was written by author Dean Koontz from his dog Trixie's perspective shortly after her death. (This is Trixie's 3rd book I believe).

Trixie shares her 8 steps to achieving bliss. It makes a lot of sense for both dogs and humans. It boils down to enjoying your world and serving others. I think Trixie might even be Christian.

It was nice to read this after losing our beautiful dog Zoey. Also it was fun to read and relate it to our curren
Kate
Apr 25, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every human should read this!
  • I, Trixie, Who is Dog
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Good Dog. Stay.
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
Short Stuff, Trix, Furface, Fluffybutt

Quick Bio:
Purebred, Service Dog

Arrival Story:
I was a CCI assistance dog. After elbow surgery, was retired from service and came to live as a Koontz in Newport Beach. Wrote three books to raise money for other assistance dogs.

Bio:
Trixie was an angel on earth, shorn of her wings and given fur as a disguise, with mysterious eyes, with the heart of a lio
More about Trixie Koontz...

“Laughter is tranquilizer without side effects.” 7 likes
“If every day is first day of your life, maybe you are being perpetually infantile.” 4 likes