Start by marking “O'Sullivan Stew” as Want to Read:
O'Sullivan Stew

O'Sullivan Stew

When the village of Crookhaven faces its doom for having upset the local witch, Kate O'Sullivan decides to set things right -- and almost gets her family hanged in the process! Now with both a king and a witch angry at them, Kate valiantly fights for her family's lives the only way she knows how -- with a good story. She pulls out all the stops trying to appease His Majest ...more
Published January 25th 1999 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about O'Sullivan Stew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O'Sullivan Stew

Karen Witzler
Lively illustrations, fun story, Irish setting, lots of elements from Irish folklore. This is the sort of book that kids love to hear read aloud or that new readers love to read over and over. But... I famously have little sense of humor and it is just this side of what I would have called "twaddle" in my homeschooling days. Kate is put in a Scheherezade-like situation where she tells several fantastic tales about her family to a king who wants to hang them as horse-thieves. Of course, all ends ...more
Mar 02, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This story has a moral and celebrates the brains of a young girl, Kate, who ends up as the hero.
The moral has to do with being kind to all people, even if they are different. Kate tries to get the townspeople to help the witch whose horse is being taken by soldiers. The townspeople say that the witch isn't one of them and don't help. Very soon their words come back to haunt them and Kate makes a plan to set things right. In a funny manner it the plan goes awry and Kate uses her wit and her stor
Mar 01, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Tricia Douglas
I read this one for my GR children's picture book group - March theme of Ireland. O'Sullivan Stew reminds me of Aladdin's tales of 101 Nights. In this book Kate keeps telling stories to save her friends from the King's wrath. She must tell tales that describe her in situations worse than the one she is already in. Of course she does. The tales are entertaining and the illustrations are colorful and fun. This was a new book for me and I thought it was very imaginative.
Mar 28, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about a young girl named Kate who saves the day with her quick wit and storytelling ability. The narrative is fun to read aloud and our girls love that Kate is such a strong female character.

The illustrations are colorful and the characters are very expressive. The title of the book seems a bit odd, but otherwise we really enjoyed reading this story together.

This book was selected as one of the books for the March 2014 - Ireland discussion at the Picture-Book Club in th
LeAnn Forystek
Feb 25, 2014 LeAnn Forystek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this fairy tale. It was full of enchantment and the ending was the best part. At first I thought the ending would turn out being cliche', but they had a tiny twist which I felt was fun and made me proud of the girl's decision.
I read O'Sullivan stew when it first came out! Gosh, how long ago was that? I guess 1999. For years afterward I'd never forgotten the story and occasionally I'd look for it at the Barnes and Noble or the library, but I could never find it since I couldn't remember the name.

Thank you Goodreads! Without this site I'd never have found this beloved classic again!

It actually turned out perfectly because in 2009 my baby brother was born, so I was able to buy it after I'd found it and have someone to
Love Kate's storytelling and how she uses it to get out of a tight spot...and love that at least one (perhaps all?) of the adventures are true. Fun story...although long... And fun, bright illustrations.
Feb 28, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finn-wren
A wonderful tale of kindness, acceptance and imagination, with illustrations that both a 6 year old boy and his baby sister find neat-o :). Very recommended.
Mar 04, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story for children to read alone or with a parent but too long to use as a read aloud, to a class, during a library visit.
Laurie Treacy
Humorous, entertaining, though a bit long, and fun to read out loud.
Mar 18, 2016 Autumn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, picture-books
One of my favorite endings for a picture book :)
Tará O'Sullivan
Aug 19, 2011 Tará O'Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I got this book mainly because it's about a wildly imaginative, storytelling, red-haired Irish girl with the last name of O'Sullivan. (That's me. Except I'm Tara, not Kate.) It was a selfish, ego-stroking purchase, admittedly. I wasn't really expecting to find myself loving the story itself.[return][return]I'm constantly finding new kids to read this to, and I haven't found an unresponsive audience yet. The illustrations are top knotch and I'm in love with Kate's whole personality. Definitely a ...more
Mar 05, 2014 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, holidays
I loved this story! O'Sullivan Stew is a funny tale about a girl who must save her village from a witch's wrath by getting her horse back. Kate uses her wits to think of wild tales to convince the king to spare the lives of her family & to return the horse. It had a message of inclusivity, promotes cleverness & bravery, and my favorite part was where Kate turns down the king's proposal in order to have adventures. YES!
Aug 15, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Library find
Shelves: childrens
This is a wonderful tale full of unbelievable tales, twists and turns. Characters aren't exactly what they appear to be (the witch) and the ending took me by surprise the first time I read it, but I REALLY loved the ending; not so typical of your "fairy princess" ending although everyone is happy in the end.

Love the illustrations and the story. Imaginative and creative. My girls really loved it too!
Karen Jones
Jun 05, 2010 Karen Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and so do my girls. It's got wonderful, funny illustrations and a great story (or is it 5 great stories?). I bought it mostly for the illustrations. The one that sold be was the one with the seamonster with a rowboat stuck sideways in his mouth. The look of dismay on his face is priceless! The rest of the illustrations are great too, but the seamonster was the best.
May 04, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Read this to my niece & nephews (7, 5, & 2). It's a fun story with good pictures and kept the attention of the older children. The writing was fun to read out loud and it was fun to look at the cover picture with them before starting the story and have them point out things in the stew.
Feb 25, 2013 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-patrick-s-day
I liked this tale of a young girl who tries to save her village from the wrath of a local witch. It was cute and a few of the illustrations made me chuckle. I liked the twist at the end and the tales Kate tells to save her family. She definitely has the gift of blarney!
May 05, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is another one of the books I picked up to read out loud to my friend Joe.
I really really loved this. it has many stories in one and they're all very good. the pictures are gorgeous and have lots of detail that takes a bit to look at.
Mar 24, 2010 Marcie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Another winner. I've been reading fairy tales to my girls and this one was great fun. This one stars a smart young lass whose hilarious storytelling saves her family and town. We enjoyed the illustrations too.
Mark Dewey
This was a nice light-hearted book. I enjoyed it, and the pictures.

The story reminds me somewhat of a fairy tale, although it's not exactly one. I like the Irishness.
Jun 20, 2008 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the pictures in this book and it is a delightful story with a fun ending. I like to read it with a bit of an Irish brogue for my children. Very lyrical writing.
Mar 01, 2011 Gideon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about someone who told her king a bunch of stories so he wouldn't kill her and her family. And got the horse back for the witch who gave her the horse.
I really really like this book. A LOT. I don't get tired of reading, at all. It's so fun. Entertaining, fun, and refreshing. Totally a must read!
Nadine Jones
What a perfectly charming book! Can't believe I never heard of it before - this will become on of our staple must-reads around St Patrick's Day.
Kendra Schaefer
Dec 06, 2011 Kendra Schaefer rated it liked it
great book for kindergarten, tho it has a lot of vocabulary that may be difficult for the students.
Aya Chadwick
Dec 17, 2013 Aya Chadwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband read me today. We both liked it. Maybe our daughter will like this around age 5?
Nov 19, 2014 Mumbler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not exactly to my tastes; a little too goofy & stereotypical, but pretty fun.
Inhabiting Books
A clever, and fun book. I especially appreciated how the author ended it.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A clever girl saves her brothers.
  • Fiona's Luck
  • The Secret-keeper
  • The Magic Nesting Doll
  • Mr Squirrel & the Moon
  • Emily
  • Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores (Horace and Morris and Dolores, #1)
  • Clever Tom and the Leprechaun: An Old Irish Story
  • Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • The Courageous Princess