Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map

Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  506 ratings  ·  57 reviews
From the beaches to the Alps, from fine art to fine pasta, Italy has it all. With this book, you’ll trace Italian culture from Rome’s Colosseum to Michelangelo’s David to the bustling elegance of Milan. Experience the art-drenched cities of Venice and Florence, explore the ancient ruins of the Roman Forum, and learn how to avoid the lines at the most popular museums. Disco...more
Published October 20th 2009 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published January 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map

Alana
So, as far as travel guides go, I consider Rick Steves to be my personal god/guru. Since 2004, I have not taken an international trip without one of his books in my hand all throughout the planning stages and the actual trip. He may not always cover every little thing (and if you're OCD about travel like me, then you'll probably have several guides, and cross-referencing will give you any other little things you might miss), but he manages to cover just about everything the average (and perhaps...more
Terri
This book was a real lifesaver for us as we traveled 2 weeks in Italy. From how to find restrooms to how to protect yourselves from pick-pockets. I would recommend this book and anything that Rick Steves writes to anyone traveling. His insight, direction, help is what every traveler needs. There was no need to travel with a large tour group we felt like we had a personal tour guide for our group of three. His book is so detailed that there are phone numbers to call for help, for reservations (di...more
Kristen
This book was pretty good. It gave me a lot of insight so I could prepare for the trip. And I also brought along the Rome at Night Walking tour with us. The map isn't excatly precise, so we got lost a few times, but we got close enough that we found our way. It was fun. And it's just nice to read these to prepare. I don't feel like pickpocketing was as prevalent, but then again, I took his advice and bought the money belt to keep my money and passports in. So maybe that's why I didn't feel threa...more
Kiersten
This book, again, was awesome. We stayed in the most incredible "locandas" (locandi?) on his recommendations and ate at unbelievably good restaurants, and I felt really good about the cost. Not only are his restaurants and hotels clean, charming, centrally located, and well-priced, they come with friendly owners--we spent a lot of time just chatting with them. His reviews for sights to see and the amount of time to stay in each city were very helpful as well. Again, try to download his audioguid...more
Jen
Rick Steves is my new hero! Traversing Italy would have been much more complicated without his advice and practical suggestions. However, I'm a little peeved at him for giving such little attention to Southern Italy. When I looked through his book, I thought, "But, where is the rest of Italy?" It just stopped in Salerno, with no mention of why the rest of Italy was left out. And since we went to a couple of places in Italy that didn't even warrant a mention in his book (fabulous places, btw), I...more
Christina
Nov 02, 2007 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in travelling to Italy
Ah Rick! I had to include you somewhere. You are possibly my favorite author ever (definitely of travel books, but your books definitely out-rank a lot of others I've read from any genre!). You introduced the U.S. to the Cinque Terre. You taught us how to buy Tartufo in Piazza Navona. You explained to us how to avoid having babies thrown at us as elaborate pick-pocketing ploys. You showed us the wonders of Florence. I carried you around in my purse all over Europe. I just wish you wrote books ab...more
Jenny
I think I had the 2009 version, but oh well. If you ever travel, look up Rick's books first. His restaurant reviews never steered us wrong. His advice on attractions was wonderful. I also loved the walking tours. Take them- you won't be sorry!
Brandi Blue
My only criticism of this book is that it made us a little afraid of Italy - He made it seem like every tourist in Italy gets pick-pocketed or otherwise taken advantage of. We almost skipped Italy because we were afraid of having our passports or wallets stolen. But we were brave and went and had no problems at all. I think if you're smart about things you really shouldn't have to worry much.

Otherwise, helpful as usual.
Jess
Not a big Rick Steves fan. His non touristy recommendations are very touristy. As in we went to one of his recommendations for out of the way restaurants, horrible food and service. And three other honeymooning couples from the US sitting near us, clutching his book. The out of the way locale he recommended did have beautiful hiking, but was filled with American tourists and pissed off locals.
Elizabeth
Great for some planning and to choose your destinations, but buy his individual city guides for greater detail.

Cut out the smaller cities (we ripped out Pisa) if you plan to visit them.

He's the master, his advise is good, but try to venture outside Stevesville if you can. Find a good restaurant that's filled with locals and not in his guide and you'll have a ball!
Jenn
This is the book that sparked my love affair with Rick Steves. Great tips, great recommendations, and indepth background on the sights. And there is that added perk of chuckling everytime I see another tourist (typically middle aged or above Americans) clutching the familiar trusty blue volume. Rick is my guiding star through Europe!
GG
My favorite travel guide book series - especially for a first trip to a country. We've used his books as a starting point for all of our trips and recommend him to all travelers who want to see a little more than the obvious tourist sights.

GG Husak

Passeggiata: Strolling Through Italy

www.PasseggiataItalia.com
Lindsay
I read the 2011 version. It was helpful for the trip though Rick Steve's and I always differ on what the must-see sights are. I wish he would include more info on traveling with children, though I suppose not many people are crazy enough to take their four children to Italy.
Brandon
Does it count as a book read if you only read the into and the sections pertaining to the cities you are traveling too?

I'd like to think so!

These books are good intros. I think it will help with my culture shock just getting an idea of how different it is.
Daniel Lim
Rick Steves is a great resource for European art history and museums. He is also full of helpful hints and practical information (eg transportation options). He's horrible with food and more youthful or modern culture. His free audio tours are great.
M.J. Groves
Great attitude toward travel. Like his observations in general; we'll see how well we agree with his specific advice on Italy when we get there!
Post-script: Advice was right on target. Great resource. Would definitely consult his books for future travel.
Serri
As usual, Rick Steves does a fantastic job! This time we combined the book with one of his tours which was outstanding! Great guides that really moved us through Italy. There is no way we could have accomplished as much on our own with all the crowds.
Vanessa
I think Italy is probably one of Rick Steves' most in depth travel books. It was very helpful for hotel ideas and places to go. I especially enjoyed the recommended city walking tours. Also, just by mentioning the book we were able to save $20 at a hotel.
Rebecca
I've used a lot of guidebooks and Rick's remain my favorite! You don't want to carry a big guidebook every day when you travel, so just tear out the pages you need for that day. You'll want to buy the most up to date copy for your next trip anyway!
This series has a great following among travelers and it was fun to meet up with other's from all over the country/world who were using his books as a guide! We loved his walking tour guides of Assisi and the Venice canal ride!
Brian
With Rick Steve's guide to Italy and the Discovery Insight Guide, I have learned to see Italy from the locals, not tourists point of view. I am still packing too much but with Rick's encouragement I am getting better.
Lisa Ricciuti
My all time favorite guidebook. Rick Steve's gives great suggestions of where the local go which is what I want. I am leaving for Italy next week and cant wait to try some of his suggestions!
Some good ideas, but if you want to research essential eating and wineries, Rick ain't your gourmet Sherpa. Def. supplement with a Lonely Planet and/or a Fodor's/Frommer's for a fuller scope.
James
A great guide, especially for planning your trip. I would recommend bringing the city- or region-specific guides when you travel, as they have more detail about what you're seeing.
Cara
I have the 2006 version and used it during my three months in Italy. I also referenced it during my 2 week trip last year and it's helping me plan my trip again in September.
Andrew
Invaluable on our tour of Italy. Worth it for simply avoiding queues.

Used it in Rome, Florence, Venice and Cinque Terre. I basically had it in hand for the entire trip.
Robin
Traveling is not complete with out Rick Steve's by your side! I wish he was my best friend. He made Cinque Terra much more interesting with his tales of pirates.
Angie
Wouldn't dream of going to this country without his latest guidebook. Definitely found some of our favorite meals thanks to him and loved his many tips.
Southside Kid
Rick has lost me forever with one stupid remark on PBS.
It's hard to read or watch his work after his public insult regarding our U.S.A.
Shantanu Sharma
Godsend book for anyone going on a short vacation in Italy. Covers hotels, local attractions, maps, things to do, in a lucid manner.
  • Italy
  • Too Much Tuscan Sun: Confessions of a Chianti Tour Guide
  • Bringing Tuscany Home: Sensuous Style From the Heart of Italy
  • Great Britain (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • The Hills of Tuscany
  • The Reluctant Tuscan: How I Discovered My Inner Italian
  • The Food Lover's Guide to Paris: The Best Restaurants, Bistros, Cafés, Markets, Bakeries, and More
  • Paris
  • La Bella Figura: A Field Guide to the Italian Mind
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Sex & Love in the City of Light
  • A Thousand Days in Tuscany: A Bittersweet Adventure
  • An Italian Affair
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...
Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2007: The Travel Skills Handbook  Travel as a Political Act Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides) Rick Steves' Europe 101: History and Art for the Traveler Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe: 25 Years of Travel Tales from America's Favorite Guidebook Writer