Start by marking “Dont Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead” as Want to Read:
Dont Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead

Dont Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Hectic lifestyles and over-full schedules make traditional cooking methods nearly obsolete in many families. The results are poor nutrition and budgets strained by the high cost of fast food or commercially prepared meals. Don't Panic-Dinner's in the Freezer offers a simple and economical alternative, featuring dozens of recipes designed to be prepared and frozen for futur ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Dont Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dont Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer

Andrea Schoellkopf
Sep 04, 2007 Andrea Schoellkopf rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Busy moms
I really, really, really like this cookbook.

A friend of mine, Monica Pettit, had owned a local Super Suppers franchise and I had been going over there to make meals for our family and freeze them. She sold it this spring. The "menu" doesn't have the same appeal to me with the new owner and the price has gone up.

So I looked a bunch of books up on Amazon and checked them out at the library.

The premise is: wait until your grocery has the "loss leader" sale of pork chops or chicken breasts, or wha
Happyreader
It's definately not my usual type of cookbook (I prefer ethnic, spicy, veggie-heavy) but this cookbook meets its stated mission. As a quick-and-easy freezer cookbook, it includes a number of recipes that don't require any cooking prior to freezing (many of the chicken recipes and some of the beef and pork recipes) and easy cooking in the oven, grill, skillet, or slow cooker the day of the meal. While there are a couple of recipes calling for canned soup, they're decidedly in the minority. The re ...more
Christi
I know this is just a cookbook but it has some really good recipes and ideas in it. I am preparing myself for post-partum craziness next month and used some of these recipes for future meals. Hopefully my rating doesn't change after we have actually eaten the meals.
The beginning of the book has some shopping tips I thought were interesting. For instance, a "Loss Leader" is a product that a grocery store offers at a loss to them assuming the consumer will buy other products as well to make up th
Angela
The first section of this book is really useful in learning how to prepare meals that will stand up to freezing, thawing and reheating. I didn't spend a lot of time on the recipes but they look simple enough and each includes measurements for doubling (or more), which is nice.

I also appreciate that they don't include a lot of instructions for adding prepackaged items. The recipes call for fresh foods.
Penelope
I was looking for delicious, freezable entrees to add to my freezer and definitely found it in this cookbook. Many freezer cooking cookbooks are mostly casseroles and soups, but this cookbook is a refreshing departure from the usual. I agree that pictures would have been nice, but I didn't find them necessary. I like that you can tailor this cookbook to your needs. Choose many recipes and do one big day of cooking to freeze meals for a month or just make a triple batch one night, eat one meal an ...more
Melanie Coughlin
I was extremely disappointed with this cookbook. I expected to find a book filled with quality recipes to stock up on for busy nights (emphasis on "quality"). This book offers no more than recipes that may be found in any comprehensive cookbook, and they are not as well done. There is a section on freezing foods and storage guidelines ... information that I presumably could have acquired by calling my mother. If you want make dinner time easier, just purchase any good cookbook, double the recipe ...more
Shanon
I have tried most of the main dish recipes in this book and loved a vast majority of them.

The tips on creating a good freezer meal include packaging, storing and tables on how long food can be stored in the freezer as well as other tips & tricks.

I bought this book nearly a year ago and have used it at least once a week if not 3-4 times.

Wonderful cookbook & cooking method for those who are busy, those who like to buy in bulk, those who like to have a quick meal on hand (for yourself or f
Kim
This is a fantastic collection of recipes that are ideal for cooking in bulk and freezing. Instructions include not only recipes such as Kansas City Hot Wings, Classic Crumb Cake, Spinach Lasagna, Chile con Carne, and Creamy Lemon Cheesecake; but the recipes are already set up to include the amount of ingredients for the recipe x2, x4, x6, etc. No more calculators (or mind bending processes) required!

I really like the opening chapter with the several methods of packaging and freezing the goods,
Wendy
Basically a frozen food/Dinner by Design DIY book. In theory I really like the idea of having meals ready to pull from the freezer at any given time. But in practice, I didn't get around to trying any of the recipes while I had this book checked out from the library. So am I likely to pull myself together enough to make this happen?

I did like how the book's recipes had measurements broken down for various serving sizes so you could make a little, a lot, or a whole heck of a lot. The recipes soun
Lori
I loved this concept: cook 3 "meals", eat one, freeze two for later. As I work through what we like, what works frozen, and what we'll eat that much of, I plan to do this. It's easy in Pepper plate to scale recipes up 3x for shopping and prep and then back to 1x for cooking/freezing. I also liked some of the freezing techniques.

I didn't care much for many of the recipes. For me, there are too many 1980s "casserole" foods remind me of Hamburger Helper. However, I get it that those are what freez
Frances Kwiecinski

Clear and concise. The recipes sound like my normal go to recipes.
Will get the next book.
Ready to go to the kitchen to start!
Christi
I had heard some rave reviews about this book. I love making meals and freezing the leftovers for easy future dinners. I had high hopes for this book.

I was kind of disappointed. The appetizer section was mostly devoted to make-ahead/freeze ahead beverages. Who needs to take up freezer space with punch? Isn't that an easy thing to prepare the day of a party?

Many of the recipes reminded me of old crockpot recipes. Lots of can of cream soup in the ingredient list. There were very few recipes that
Brittany
This may seem kinda dumb... but I'm always looking to improve my cooking and shopping skills, and I'm considering looking into doing freezer meals. This book seemed quite informative and offered a few different strategies for shopping and cooking and tripling and even quadrupling recipes. Bonus: the book is filled with various recipes. I do wish that instead of adding so many recipes for festive punches, they could have filled the appetizer section with better thing, but whatever, it was still a ...more
Leslie Ferrari
Some good recipes with directions for one recipe with directions for multiples provided as well. Many require pre-cooking before freezing, but as most recipes serve 6 or more, I will use it to make one meal and freezing the extra.
Heidi
Read while I was pregnant with baby #5 and I now have a few weeks worth of meals ready to go. There are several yummy sounding recipes and the instructions are very easy to follow. I just wish it had pictures. They even multiplied the recipes so it's easy to make more than one serving at a time or cook with a friend. Second book is available too, Don't Panic More Dinner's ... which also has several yummy recipes. I may end up buying both of these books and using this method of cooking more often ...more
Nabeela
This is by far one of the best cookbooks I have ever bought. It is a must for anyone who doesn't have the time to cook on a daily basis. The recipes are proven to taste fabulous right from the freezer, and most of the recipes are designed to be doubled or tripled in case you want to cook and bulk. I highly recommend the Chicken Cilantro Enchiladas, the Meatballs, the Vegetable Lasagna, and the Kansas City Chicken Wings. Not to mention the book has some awesome frozen dessert recipes. Enjoy!
Kimber
This is a TERRIBLE cookbook. The tips for freezing and getting a group together to freeze is decent - but nothing I haven't heard before and that I couldn't find on the internet. The recipes in here are horrible!!! We ended up throwing a lot of the food away because we couldn't stomach to eat it. Please don't waste your money making these recipes (or buying this book). A couple of the recipes were edible but NONE that were fantastic. And we tried like 10 recipes.
Lindsay
I didn't find really any stand out recipes as far as something that sounded so good it made my mouth water and they didn't include any pictures (which I think is essential in selling your recipes). However, I did like the information given on freezing meals, and will incorporate more of that into my meals. I'm going to take a look through one more time before it goes back to the library, but it's only a two star rating for me right now.
Michelle
Jul 09, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Michelle by: amazon
We love this book! We have loved almost every recipe we try. Although I do swap some items for healthier ones. We love the Turkey Picante Pie, and Baked Blueberry French Toast, the breakfast quiches are wonderful, that is just some of the wonderful meals we have found in this book. It also has my famous Chili recipe and my Famous Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. You gotta get this book.
Celia Pastoriza
I took it out of the library and liked it, but not enough to buy it. At the end of the day, I'm not sure why I need a special cookbook just for frozen meals, since most meals can be frozen. But, that said, I also have a cooking routine that I rarely waver from and that doesn't leave a lot of room for new cookbooks. And it is great to have a half-dozen dinners in the freezer.
Lyne

Gave up after 127 pages of recipes I'd never make in a million years. Most had just as much work the day of cooking as if you'd done the whole thing in one day. There are also two extremes... over simple recipes with no flavor or high fat recipes with many expensive ingredients. Don't waste your time.
Katie Watkins
There were some good recipes in here, but there were also some that I probably wouldn't ever make--either my kids wouldn't like them or they have kind of "strange" ingredients. I like the concept of making huge batches of family favorites and freezing them for future dinners though.
Meadow
Jan 17, 2011 Meadow rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
If I was more on top of things, I would have a freezer full of fabulous, healthy foods that we could pull out and eat at a moment's notice. And I would use this book for inspiration. However, I am not. Thus, I will just check this book out and dream about it.

Rachel Rogers
Haven't made anything from it yet; I found this in the library the day after we filled the freezer with 20 lbs of chicken breasts. However it's nice to look at recipes to take out of your freezer that aren't casseroles, nice as they are. Interesting sounding recipes.
Deyara
Better than the first one, but still not a whole lot I was interested in. The Lemon bread, Gooey caramel rolls and the almond cookies are the ones I will probably try. The rest were not that interesting, generally due to meat content.
Stacy
The idea of the book is great giving measurements for making the meal in large quantities. However, after looking through the book. I marked 10 different recipes 1/2 of which did not turn out very good. Bummer, I had high hopes.
Bethany
I'm looking for ideas to make dinner easier to get done earlier! I'm good at stocking up and prepping, but when I get home and we are hungry I'm not good at throwing something together! I hope this book will help.
Becky
Taught me different freezer methods & that I can basically freeze most anything.

I copied a dozen or so recipes out of this book. Not sure I'll freeze the baked goods but I want to try some of the recipes anyway.
Cathi
I really liked this cookbook, but I already had my own variations for a lot of the recipes. I found invaluable, however, the guide on proper packaging to freeze everything from soups to enchiladas to breads.
Good concepts about freezing meals and cooking in bulk (without eating the same thing for several days!) But the recipes didn't really grab me. (oh god, velveeta? really!?)
  • Fix, Freeze, Feast: Prepare in Bulk and Enjoy by the Serving, More Than 125 Recipes
  • Once-A-Month Cooking: A Proven System for Spending Less Time in the Kitchen and Enjoying Delicious, Homemade Meals Every Day
  • Perfect Recipes for Having People Over
  • The Best Make-Ahead Recipe
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
  • Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook
  • The Food Substitutions Bible: More than 6,500 Substitutions for Ingredients, Equipment & Techniques
  • Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family
  • The Italian Slow Cooker
  • Roasting-A Simple Art
Susie Martinez is a professional counselor with a private counseling practice in Colorado. She has been married to her husband, Joe, for twenty-two years and has two teenage children. Susie adores her family, her Kitchen Aid mixer, and her purple PT Cruiser. In her free time, she enjoys shopping with her daughter, taking long walks, and home decorating. Susie also struggles with a particular weakn ...more
More about Susie Martinez...
Don't Panic More Dinner's in the Freezer: A Second Helping of Tasty Meals You Can Make Ahead Don't Panic - Quick, Easy, and Delicious Meals for Your Family Don't Panic...It's In The Freezer!