Start by marking “Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr Monk, #8)” as Want to Read:
Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr Monk, #8)

Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr. Monk #8)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  925 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Captain Leland Stottlemeyer relies on Adrian Monk to solve his most baffling cases, but when the captain is faced with budget cuts, Monk?s fees are one of the expenses he trims. Monk is too compulsive to stop investigating; he resorts to calling in tips under assumed names, infuriating the captain.

But when Stottlemeyer is arrested for murder, he turns to the only detecti
Published (first published June 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop

Seanan
Lee Goldberg was the perfect author to do the Monk tie-ins, because he just plain gets it. By using Natalie as his viewpoint character, he gives us a perspective that's different enough from the show to make his books compelling, not jarring, and yet retains a genuine affection and respect for the source material.

In Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop, murder's in the air (as always), and this time, Mr. Monk's entire world is on the line. The book is longer than a normal episode, and able to get deeper,
Michelle
I really liked the mysteries and all the characters here especially Danielle. I had hope she will stay but things did not went my way. Nevertheless, she was an amazing character, if only minor. She had degree in psychology so that made her understanding of Monk's OCD. She was an efficient assistant to him and frankly, Natalie always chosen to believe the worst of her annoyed me. There was pattern in this series that I had noticed for quite a while now and it rather spoiled the whole plot if you ...more
Nancy
I listened to this book on my MP3 player, while I worked in the yard. I enjoyed it very much. I love Mr. Monk and his OCD's, which are much greater in the books, than on the TV series. The actress, who played Natalie on the TV series, narrated the book, and did a great job.

Monk cannot be paid by the police department as a consultant, because of cuts to the budget. The captain asks Monk to go to a meeting of policemen, to be interviewed about their impressive work together. A private detective a
Mark Baker
Monk is downsized when the SFPD is forced to cut their budget. But he lands on his feet at a private firm that is more than willing to pay him and Natalie handsomely. Will Monk still be able to solve a string of murders in the city? As always, Natalie and Monk's relationship is so rich in this book. The characters are great, the plot is strong, and the laughs are plentiful.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Rick Ludwig
Although I like all of the books in this series so far, this one has an additional dimension which added to my enjoyment, Stottlemeyer in need of Monk's help after he has to fire him. Goldberg captures the essence of the show so completely that you can't help seeing the excellent actors who created these roles starring in these books. He also broadens and deepens Natalie's character so much by having her do the narration, that you almost wish she had done so on the show a well. Keep giving us th ...more
Phil Giunta
When the mayor of San Francisco slashes the police department's budget, Captain Leland Stottlemeyer is forced to terminate his consulting contract with former partner turned private detective Adrian Monk.

Nevertheless, the obsessive-compulsive detective continues to show up at crime scenes despite discouragement from his lovely and forthright assistant, Natalie Teeger. In an attempt to outwit her, Monk begins calling in anonymous tips on crimes he reads about in the newspaper until he is caught i
Paleomichi
Avendo visto anni fa alcuni episodi della serie "Detective Monk" (o come si chiamava), quando ho trovato questo libro alla stazione di Francoforte l'ho comprato immediatamente.

Peccato che per leggerlo ci abbia messo un mese. Sarà che è americano (tendo a leggere libri scritti da autori inglesi), sarà che un giallo può comunque risultare complicato, sarà che la terminologia a volte è specifica, ma non ci ho capito niente. L'ho finito per disperazione.

Alla fine qualche cosa l'ho capita, ma che fat
Helen
Monk is back on home territory, and back to the adventures that I really enjoy.

Natalie is starting to pick up the detective's instincts, and so am I. I didn't work everything out, but I certainly saw several things coming.
Which is not to say that the story was boringly predictable. Just that I'm getting used to picking up on the clues.

A good fun read.
Kent
It was a good book. The premise of the book was that Monk's contract with the San Francisco Police Department is terminated amid budget cuts. But when it looks like Monk's former partner and current Captain of Detectives is the number one suspect in a murder of cop, Monk is asked to help him out, even though it was Sotttlemeyer that made it look like the only detective that could solve the case, Monk, was already cut from the case.

The book moved along nicely with a new surprise in the plot aroun
Laura Cushing
In this delightful addition to the Monk series of books, Monk is laid off from his consulting gig due to budget cuts. He and Natalie take jobs with a private detective firm that offers a much better salary and benefits including a company car. But this good offer seems too good to be true. Captain Stottlemeyer is framed for the murder of a fellow cop, and it's up to Randy Disher to make the arrest. All the supporting characters get some great moments in this - Disher taking over as acting captai ...more
David
Once again Lee Goldberg delivers an outstanding outing for our favorite defective detective. Goldberg gets the phobias and mood right and even manages some character development along the way. As always Monk is annoying to those around him and entertaining to the reader. His attention to details that others miss and his deductive genius is just plain fun to read. There is nothing Heavy in his story, nothing that strains the intellect, but stimulating, entertaining reading.

Goldberg sees Monk's w
Pat
Leland Stottlemeyer is used to obsessive- compulsive genius Adrian Monk getting all the praise and attention. But the police captain is feeling a little hostile after taking a lot of ribbing about his reliance on his star consultant. Is it possible he's used the latest round of budget cuts as an excuse to cut Monk loose?

But Monk is much too compulsive to stop investigating, even without pay. Soon he's calling in tips under assumed names to help solve cases. (Who would ever guess the real identit
Ed
The book is amazing. It is funny, witty and an easy read. There are a few twists and turns in the story that makes it interesting and the text never drags on.
Karen
Doesn't quite capture the charm of the show. I see a lot of Poirot in Mr. Monk. That must be a subset of the genre: fastidious gentleman detective.
Shannon Stooksbury
I already fell in love with the Monk tv series, and this simply resounded my love for it. Lee Goldberg does an excellent job of capturing the character Monk. I was never bored with this book, it was a great mystery and I loved that it's not just dark, it's actually humorous. I loved the twists of it, but I doubt if I didn't know who the characters were that I would have liked it so much. The plot is excellent and mysterious, while being amusing. I love all the Monk books I've read, but this has ...more
Karen
This is my favorite Monk mystery so far, as we see Randy Disher's serious side and Natalie exercises her own detecting skills to help determine who killed Bill Peschel, a former snitch and friend of Captain Stottlemeyer, as well as a dirty cop who used to be on the San Francisco Police force before Stottlemeyer forced him out. Tremendous fun both for fans of the series and those who didn't watch.
Ms. Lydia
I love the Monk TV series and this book is a bit different from the actual episode of the same name. However, this book was a good read. It's written from the perspective of Natalie, Monk's assistant, and features Detective Stottlemeyer getting in trouble. I was a bit turned off as there were multiple cases in the book. My bias may have been due to the fact that I was trying to relate it to the show...otherwise, a calming read.
Clare
Another Monk book read, I am really loving these as I don't have to think I can just read and pulled in.
Irene
Very good work Mr. Monk, if only he could enjoy the small pleasures if life though.
Rachel
I listened to this as an audio book which works quite well since it is written in first person from the perspective of Mr. Monk's assistant, Natalie Teeger. Due to budget cuts (and perhaps some politics) Adrian Monk is fired from his consulting position for the San Francisco police department and goes to work for a private investgator firm. He still continues to solve murders, among other crimes, but the body count continues to rise. His friend Captain Stotelmier is arrested for the most recent ...more
Sheri
Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Lee Goldberg)
Adrian Monk is an obsessive compulsive (to the extreme)detective. He is called by his good friend Leland Stottlemeyer to help him prove his innocence, he is arrested for murder. With the help of his assistant Natalie Teeger the solve the crime.

Fast paced mystery with twists and turns. A bit slower than I am used to, but good story line, and I love the character "Monk". I would love to read more in this series, in the hopes that another might be faster pac
Nancy
I love Monk! :)I have always been a fan of the show...then saw the Monk books and was afraid they would be cheesy. I was wrong! I am really enjoying this one so far, and if it turns out to be as enjoyable as I expect I plan to read them all.
**Update** I just finished the book (just took a few days to read). It was really entertaining and I really liked it. I look forward to reading the rest of the Monk books! Just imagine being able to read an episode of Monk; that's what you get with this book
Afsana
I really enjoyed this book Maybe not the same as his others but still good

It was regarding clearing Stottlemyers name

In Monks normally attitude of not seeing/or understanding how others are feeling he doesn't see how difficult things maybe for the captain for him to slve all crimes and then to have it thrown in your face at the conference

The bad guy is clever in trying distraction and nearly succeeds and for the first time it looks like Natalie may have had an inkling of what was going on befor
Kam Belden
It was alright. I had some trouble hearing the characters voices but mostly it was good. SPOILER The plot structure reveals who the killer is a little early for me, if not the title, but there was enough other murders to distract you from what the important murder is. There was also a point where Monk cleans up a lawn and Natalie puts something in her pocket that I thought was going to come back later as important, but didn't.

It was a quick/easy read which may/may not be a good thing depending o
Gerry
Another good Monk story.
Natasha Marie
Love the show, loved this book!
Dan
I received as a gift five books of this series. The TV show is my favorite program, so I'm skeptical of the quality of writing. We'll see...
I just finished reading this one and I got good news for Monk fans: I read the bio on the author Lee Goldberg and he just happens to be the screenwriter for the Monk TV show, so the creative genius and cleverness is in the books as well.
This story is funny and fun to read. The author chose Monk's assistant, Natalie, to do the narration, and it worked. Monk f
A.
The first thing you have to understand is that I love the t.v. show Monk. How could I not love the novels?

My only complaint is that Lee Goldberg, while he writes a nice story and is occasionally even funny does not always completely capture the character of Monk. The essence he has, but not the flesh and bones. As in, the Monk in his story always responds the way Monk the tv character would, but the dialogue doesn't always feel right.

In a nutshell, always enjoyable.
Terri
Totally hooked on this laugh-out-loud funny series. My plan now is to go back and read the series from the beginning but, if I'm not able to follow strict chronological sequence, Mr. Monk will just have to deal with it!! I know there's a storyline thread that flows from book to book, but these funny novels stand alone just fine :)
AND the author took the time to comment on my review and I'm still tingling from that!
Kathy
Budget cuts in the department force Stottlemeyer to stop using Monk (at least that's what he says). Monk can't stand it so he tries to solve cases with anonymous tips until Natalie and he are hired by an ex-cop for his private security business. Things are going well until Stottlemeyer is arrested for murder and Monk has to clear his name. Good stuff and the Diaper Genie bit is very funny.
  • Mr. Monk Helps Himself (Mr. Monk #16)
  • Mind Over Magic (Psych, #2)
  • Snake Eyes (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #8)
  • Burn Notice: The Fix (Burn Notice, #1)
  • Dangerous Times (Nathan Fox, #1)
  • Headhunter (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, # 11)
  • Holly and Homicide (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #7)
  • Leader of the Pack
  • Nevada Rose (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #10)
  • Blood Quantum (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #14)
  • Firefight (Star Wars: Rebel Force #4)
New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award and two-time Shamus Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the author of the Fox & O'Hare series with Janet Evanovich (The Heist, The Chase, The Job), "The ...more
More about Lee Goldberg...

Mr. Monk (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr. Monk, #1)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii (Mr. Monk, #2)
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3)
  • Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr. Monk, #4)
  • Mr. Monk in Outer Space (Mr. Monk, #5)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Germany (Mr. Monk, #6)
  • Mr. Monk is Miserable (Mr. Monk, #7)
  • Mr. Monk in Trouble (Mr. Monk, #9)
  • Mr. Monk is Cleaned Out (Mr. Monk, #10)
  • Mr. Monk on the Road (Mr. Monk, #11)
The Walk Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr. Monk, #1) Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii (Mr. Monk, #2) Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3) Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr. Monk, #4)

“All Julie has to do is explain to her friends that she's using it to individually seal each item that she throws out."
"Then they'd think she was a geek," I said.
"She will thank me later," Monk said.
"Why would she thank you for being considered a geek?"
"Don't you know anything about teenage life?" Monk said. "It's a badge of respect."
"It is?"
"I was one," he said.
"You don't say."
"A very special one. I was crowned King of the Geeks, not once, but every single year of high school," Monk said. "It's a record that remains unbroken in my school to this day."
"Were there a lot of students who wanted to be King of the Geeks?"
"It's like being homecoming king, only better. You don't have to go to any dances," Monk said. "You aren't even invited.”
6 likes
“Monk worked on his remaining Intertect cases at his dining table while I tried to hone my detecting instincts by reading the Murder, She Wrote novel he bought in Mill Valley.
I can't say that I learned much about investigative procedure but I discovered that you should stay far away from Cabot Cove. That tiny New England village is deadlier than Beirut, South Central Los Angeles, and the darkest back alley in Juarez combined. Even though every killer eventually gets caught by Jessica Fletcher, I still wouldn't feel safe there. I'm surprised the old biddy walks around town unarmed.”
1 likes