Start by marking “Heaven and Earth: Global Warming, the Missing Science” as Want to Read:
Heaven and Earth: Global Warming, the Missing Science

Heaven and Earth: Global Warming, the Missing Science

In this controversial new book Australia's leading geologist makes the case that carbon dioxide is just one of many factors that drive climate-- and a relatively insignificant one at that. Heaven and Earth engagingly and comprehensively synthesizes what we know-- or think we know-- about the sun, earth, ice, water, and air. Heaven and Earth is a powerful argument against m ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Taylor Trade Publishing (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven and Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven and Earth

Blair
May 25, 2014 Blair rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-climate
Ian Plimer is a professor of Geology at the University of Adelaide in Australia, specializing in mining geology. This book, his view of the science of climate change, is a difficult read, with a large number of footnotes sometimes taking up half the page. The text often wanders, perhaps to use up some of the references he has accumulated. For readers unfamiliar with climate science, or science in general, this may create an impression of an expert author with a vast array of evidence to back up ...more
Kiri
Dec 21, 2009 Kiri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this because my father recommended it. After my first session of reading I would say that Plimer presents his book as offering up the first comprehensive overview of climate science (covering all of the relevant sciences). I have found it both educational and frustrating so far; the information about the ways in which global warming and cooling have fluctuated greatly throughout planetary history is interesting and comprehensive. The data about sun cycles and their effects on planeta ...more
Jerry
Dec 30, 2014 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Excellent book presenting the scientific case against the popular theory of Anthropogenic Global Warming (AWG).

Each chapter presents a series of questions that are answered with evidence. For example:
"Question: Are the speed and amount of modern climate change
unprecedented? Answer: No.
Question: Is dangerous warming occurring? Answer: No.
Question: Is the temperature range observed in the 20th Century outside the range of normal variability? Answer: No."

"During the last interglacial period, sea l
John
Feb 12, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
While reading this book I couldn't help being reminded of the following:

"In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity."

"The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present
Angus Mcfarlane
Apparently Ian Plimer enjoys stirring and the issue of CO2 induced warming and the IPCCs dogma is a pot worth worth stirring. Whilst demonstrating that we are being served up a scientifically meatless gruel, the mess created by his rushed and internally contradictory text and over-cooked reactions (particularly in subsequent interviews), leaves his alternative dish unappetising.

There are certainly positive components of this book. Understanding global climate change has been a core part of geolo
Ray
May 21, 2016 Ray rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
To be honest, I quit on this book. From what little I actually read at the beginning, I just didn't believe the rest of the book was going to be any more accurate than the beginning. By accurate, I mean that the author (a geologist and director of several mining companies) had made several statements, purportedly according to the mainstream science, which was contrary to what the science actually showed. I only know that because I've taken several college classes on climate change, and was famil ...more
Matt
Dec 07, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Matt by: mom
Rob Mclaverty
Apr 08, 2013 Rob Mclaverty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a student of geology, I find this book hard to take seriously. The very arguments Plimer uses against the global warming paradigm he also uses to back up his own case. Selectively choosing data from academic studies where it is often misinterpreted.

Claims such as "Carbon in the atmosphere constitutes 0.001% of the total carbon in the upper crust" (found in the opening chapter) may be true, and can be backed up by the literature, but is the kind of sensationalism undermines the essence of sci
Tim Renshaw
Mar 23, 2012 Tim Renshaw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, ebook
Great book with TONS of reference material to hundreds of supporting papers and even court documents showing the utter fraud that is the Global Warming scare. Far from arguing that we know what is going to happen with utter certainty, this books points to even those holes in the story of the IPCC themselves. The point is that current models don't take into account significant sources of actual climate change. Why don't they? Is it possible to model something as huge and truly intergalactic in sc ...more
Mike
Feb 03, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plimer does a spectacular job of pointing out the weaknesses in man made global warming theory, and the accompanying panic that "The end is near". Among the best researched, and most highly footnoted books I have ever read, he points to the faulty measuring methods and poor execution, the fact that geological and geothermal activity alongside astronomical phenomena play much greater roles in the heating and cooling of our planet than we could ever hope to. The climate has gone through major swin ...more
Tyson Adams
Feb 26, 2012 Tyson Adams rated it did not like it
This book is one of the most misleading and grossly fraudulent books on the topic of climate change and global warming. Ian has a book filled with contradictions, claims that are unsupported with references, referencing that is deceptive or fraudulent, and some flat out lies (solid iron core of the sun, seriously!?).

It is hard to take a non-fiction book seriously when it contradicts itself so many times. The best example is his statements about CO2: Temperature and CO2 are not connected (p278).
Tyson Adams
Feb 26, 2012 Tyson Adams rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Lisa
Jul 26, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely important book. Whether Plimer is correct in his science or not, it only demonstrates somebody is wrong. Considering Plimer is a scientist with nothing to lose and seems to have no political agenda there is a good chance he is not wrong. His is a compelling argument that the climate changes due to natural forces and not due to human activities. I have heard some of his arguments from others but in general this information is hard to find and might even be thought of as suppr ...more
David
Mar 30, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is written in bullet form - terse, mostly angry sounding delclarations. But the content is interesting. He takes a much broader perspective than most of the Global warming pundits, which helps put things in a better perspective. However, we do not have relatives that lived millions of years ago and are not likely to live as long as the science projects - so it is difficult to internalize the magnitude of what he is saying.
Hevron
Feb 24, 2010 Hevron rated it liked it
This book was a very interesting read, but extremely dry and long winded. It feels almost like the author just wanted to get more footnotes and sources into the text since he'd read all the articles he cited.

would have been a 5 star book if it had been half the length and was less repetitive on its points.
Harley
Aug 24, 2011 Harley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever had any questions about the validity of the popular claims on global warming, etc, then this book should help clarify your thinking. The author provides extensive data (over 2000 footnotes) showing that climate change is a normal and natural part of nature. My main difficulty with this book was how technical and scholarly it was, it made for difficult reading.
The Dude
Nov 02, 2011 The Dude rated it really liked it
No one who professes to believe in global warming should claim to be scientific until they read this book. If anyone claims to have evidence contrary to our belief, it is our duty to examine it. Anyone who throws away this book must therefore regard global warming as their religion.
Ray Pace
Mar 02, 2013 Ray Pace rated it liked it
I read parts and was very impressed with how little or no report by anyone how shaky the Man-made global warming is based. Book was well referenced and discussed some of the same data used by activest but realy did not show the definitive conclusion reported by media.
Douglas Ross
Feb 20, 2010 Douglas Ross rated it it was amazing
If you think you understand Global Warming and that's because you formed your opinion information from the information that was in the popular press and the opinions of political leaders like Gore, you really need to read this book.
Joseph
May 13, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book that outlines the science concerning climate change.
Garret Seinen
Jan 27, 2010 Garret Seinen rated it it was amazing
that there are a number of misinformed people pushing their misinformation
Ranoordam
Sep 25, 2016 Ranoordam rated it it was amazing
It was much easier reading and way more interesting then I anticipated. The logic and history of so called Global Warming put things into perspective
Benjamin Lucas
Nov 15, 2012 Benjamin Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little too much reiteration but a great 'can o worms' read.
Peter
Sep 02, 2009 Peter added it
All You need to know about the Man Made Climate Change myth. The facts and nothing but the facts.
Dennis
Mar 07, 2014 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It asks many questions of those who believe mankind's production of Co2 is coursing global warming.
Jared Mayes
Interesting premise. Shame about some of the inaccuracies (http://www.complex.org.au/tiki-downlo...)
David
David rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Frank Staheli
Frank Staheli rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2009
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming (and Environmentalism)
  • The Eternal Darkness: A Personal History of Deep-Sea Exploration
  • Climate Confusion: How Global Warming Hysteria Leads to Bad Science, Pandering Politicians and Misguided Policies That Hurt the Poor
  • Green Hell: How Environmentalists Plan to Control Your Life and What You Can Do to Stop Them
  • The Skeptical Environmentalist: Measuring the Real State of the World
  • 101 Things You Don't Know About Science and No One Else Does Either
  • Long & the Short of It: A Guide to Finance & Investment for Normally Intelligent People Who Aren't in the Industry
  • Life After Death: The Evidence
  • FCO: Fundamental Chess Openings
  • The Secret Family: Twenty-Four Hours Inside the Mysterious World of Our Minds and Bodies
  • Stonewall Jackson and the American Civil War
  • Practical Chess Exercises: 600 Lessons from Tactics to Strategy
  • The Insanity Offense: How America's Failure to Treat the Seriously Mentally Ill Endangers Its Citizens
  • The Westminster Confession of Faith, with Scripture proofs
  • Time Detectives: How Archaeologists Use Technology To Recapture The Past
  • When Gadgets Betray Us: The Dark Side of Our Infatuation With New Technologies
  • Volcano Cowboys: The Rocky Evolution of a Dangerous Science