Start by marking “Winning” as Want to Read:
Winning

Winning (Winning #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  30,189 Ratings  ·  495 Reviews

Jack Welch knows how to win. During his forty-year career at General Electric, he led the company to year-after-year success around the globe, in multiple markets, against brutal competition. His honest, be-the-best style of management became the gold standard in business, with his relentless focus on people, teamwork, and profits.

Since Welch retired in 2001 as chairman an

Published (first published January 1st 1992)

Chris
Jun 20, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1) Keep your HR Director on the Senior Team.

2) The top 20% usually do a great job of managing their work-life balance because they've learned to cultivate relationships, budget time, set boundaries and absorb surprises. Crisis at home seldom spills over to work. By contrast, the other 80% usually have trouble keeping things in check because they lack these skills or cannot seem to translate them from one environment to the other.

3) Avoid people/weed out people who think/talk/act like victims. A
Louis
Comments on "Winning" by Jack Welch

This is a very down to earth book; with lots of advices that are sensible and convincing. Also, this book is suitable for even job-starters. In fact, I think it is particularly valuable for our kids because it prepare them for what the real world looks like and what they should do in order to succeed (not just to climb the corporate ladder but to achieve job satisfaction).

For instance, it points out quite a number of key problems with most Chinese companies: no
Assem Adel
Apr 20, 2011 Assem Adel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
خلاصة تجربة رائعة لاحد اهم المدراء التنفيذين في القرن الحادي والعشرين . سوف يمدك الكتاب بنصائح رائعة عن بيئة العمل وما هي طرق النجاح فيها. انصح الجميع بقراءته فسوف يحدث فرقا في تفكيرك
Ruslan Kuzamysh
Oct 06, 2010 Ruslan Kuzamysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UNDERNEATH IT ALL

Have a positive attitude and spread it around, never let yourself be a victim, and for goodness' sake -- have fun.

MISSION AND VALUES

Effective mission statements balance the possible and the impossible.

Setting the mission is top management's responsibility. A mission cannot be delegated to anyone except the people ultimately held accountable for it.

Example Value Statement: "We treat customers the way we would want to be treated" translates into:

*** Give customers a good, fair dea
Julia
Oct 21, 2012 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came in a goodie bag in a new job orientation class. No prizes for guessing which company that was for! Jack W. has a hard lined approach to management. The biggest takeaway from this book is Welch's philosophy: GE doesn't hire the brightest because they don't buy his bulldozer style. GE hires those who are driven, ambitious and determined to succeed with grit, tenacity and unquestioning subordination to the GE way of life.

Welch managed GE in an era where American manufacturing led the
Hung
Saw this a while ago while putzing about at the Denver library (there was a stack of 8 or so of this book, which caught my eye). I'm not particularly interested in business management on a practical level, but these corporate self-help books have always intrigued me. So I read it with a strange, almost voyeuristic fascination.

It's been a couple years, so I won't go into many specifics of the contents. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure you can find more helpful reviews, or better yet, j
Essam AlGhamdi
This book is the heart of HR department, great book would give you some hits and ways to evaluate and choose your career. Nevertheless , Jack exaggerates the importuning of HR which is not the reality. Read Winning the Answers book as added value on top of the Winning book.
كتاب ممتاز ، اعتبره قلب قسم إدارة الموارد البشرية ، فيه بعض النصائح والإرشادات عن تقييم الوضع الحالي و المستقبلي للموظف
مال الكاتب إلى تضخيم أهميه وظيفية إدارة الموارد البشريه في قيادة الشركة ، مما أتوقع انه ليس واقعيا، حبيت ال
Aljoharah Alobaikan
This book is so great written by Jack Welch who is one of the most prominent CEOs of the last century. He has earned name recognition from people around the world.
It’s written clearly and simply it's not filled with "the same old stuff". Even the principles you've heard before are presented through his own interesting experiences.
Unlike many other authors who can be somewhat academic. Welch talks a lot about ethics and the need to win fairly while maintaining high ethical standards. He has a
Pradit Pinyopasakul
Winning is one of the book I like the best, due to its practicality. Although I finished reading this book since 6 years ago, I still remember the chapter on Strategy which is really practical. That chapter contains questions that you can use to run a workshop to develop a strategy for your company. It as well suggests the best practices of companies that win.

This book covers all the topics that management have to concern, starting from how to set corporate vision and values, candor as the best
Lance
Mar 21, 2009 Lance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess that I was a little biased in selecting this book as the next one for me to read. I thought it a good idea to get some ideas from the man that did so much to transform the company that employs me today. The GE of today is not the GE that Jack built, and yet in many ways it is in that Jack Welch provided the foundation for the culture that exists in the company today. A lot of what I see at work made so much more sense after reading what Jack wrote.

I say Jack because I felt almo
Serise
Aug 09, 2012 Serise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winning. Winning. Winning. Where do I even start with Winning? This is an audiobook/book that I listen to and read ALL THE TIME. Differentiation, 20-70-10, and who can forget CANDAH?

If you get the audiobook, keep in mind that this is narrated by Jack Welch. In full Bostonian accent. However, it adds a certain rawness and grit to a business book that really gives it nice dimension.

I'm a pretty big Jack Welch fan, but there are some down points. I feel that Six Sigma is a flawed methodology, a p
Alissa Thorne
When compared the the business books that claim to have a magic formula that applies to any business, person or situation, the opinionated perspective of one guy and his experience was a welcome relief. I admit, when I first started the book, the abrasive tone and grating voice of the author was offputting--I didn't think I was going to get through much. However, it wasn't long before I forgot all about the audio experience and became engrossed in the material.

Even at the times when I felt that
Adam Wiggins
Jun 09, 2015 Adam Wiggins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Wide-ranging business advice from someone who was very successful over the course of his career. Topics include performance reviews, mergers and acquisitions, strategy, budgeting, hiring, and firing.

My favorite part was the bit about building trust in the organization through candor. In social life we've learned to be polite, not be critical of others, etc. In business you have to be honest, direct, and straight-forward with people, especially when you have critical feedback for them. In a word,
Tanja Berg
Sep 24, 2014 Tanja Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
A few pages into the book I was shocked at how American this book is. If employees don't deliver, get rid of them is one of the messages. If business units don't deliver (are number 1 or 2 in their sectors), shut them down. Of course, there is nothing wrong with this advice, it's just very difficult to implement. Not that I've had to, as of yet. Anywhow, Welch has been very succesful throughout his career and this book is his concise take on business. There is definitely constructive input to be ...more
Artem Polishchuk
Structured, provided with patterns, based on Jack's personal background, applicable to weather senior or middle leaders as well as to new managers. Absolutely fits to most markets around. I'd recommend to people who want to broaden their business acumen and to get an entire picture how business works in terms of people management, strategy setting up and business development mostly (as to me)!
Ahmet Kara
Feb 26, 2016 Ahmet Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, top100
(Although a bit dated) This book is a good read on how to deal with -nearly- everything regarding business life. The author, being an experienced and also a well-known business leader, shares a ton of advice on corporate matters.

It was in 2006 when I first read this book, taking pages and pages of personal notes at the time. Today, I've passed through those notes (22 pages of personal notes in total -- I could not believe myself for those fabulous notes). In addition, I've made some partial read
Aoi
1. The HR Director must be at least as important as the CFO

2. Mismatch between mission statement and business- Enron Auditing vs Enron Consultancy

3.The GE Work-Out!!

4.Divide every organization into the top 20, middle 70 & bottom 10 percent. Treat the stars well- heavy bonuses, fat compensation & benefits, but let them stay grounded. Motivate the middle 70 percent to improve- they are your backbone and indispensable. Work towards slowly replacing the bottom 10.

5.The best place to be bos
Vishal Shaw
May 30, 2015 Vishal Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Warren Buffett says that - "No other management book would ever be needed", he is right on the money. Jack Welch, the most celebrated CEO of the corporate world, lays down a water-tight blueprint for winning in business. A striking feature of this book is that he always gives you his perspective as black and(or) white. There is no grey area when he tries to justify his point thereby not leaving any scope for ambiguity. Probably, this stems from the fact that at the outset he declares that h ...more
Amanda
Mar 21, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sang Lee
This was a fantastic book. I love the way that Jack writes. You feel like you're sitting in the room with him and having a conversation with him. He's mentoring you through his book.

After completing an MBA, I feel like all business students should read this book. He hits so many good business concepts right on the head. However, it's not just a book for business leaders, as some of my favorite chapters were about how to manage your own career and enjoy your job.

He breaks the book down into:
The
Martianngray
Nov 24, 2010 Martianngray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to anyone no matter if you are a business person or not. I really loved this book and kept talking to Shawn about it. I think his theories can apply to everyone in whatever they are doing in life. I kept thinking about the characteristics of a "winning person" and what I can do to improve. Basically his take home message is that a "winning person" is one who helps others succeed in life. What a great message. He gives lots of great practical advice for self-improvemen ...more
Reagan Ramsey
Mar 14, 2013 Reagan Ramsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
i really enjoyed this...jack welch is definitely not a politically correct author, but i appreciated his candor and insight in to what makes a company great. i would do some things differently than he did, but I found him to be remarkably thoughtful in his processes; from hiring and firing, to creativity and innovation.
i think this book would be of particular value to executives in a corporate setting but many of his tenets will translate to (and challenge) smaller business owners as well.
Elina Ishchenko
Feb 06, 2014 Elina Ishchenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read, extremely useful and full of practical advises you'd like to apply once you read them. This is a must read directional guide not only for former executives, but also for those who are going to be a leader.Author enreached his book with plenty of stories and real life examples illustrating each advise or principle.
Puguh
Feb 22, 2009 Puguh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
...Shall be read along with The Lexus and The Olive Tree-Thomas Friedman.

"Despite all the flags on First Avenue, there are no nations any more. Only companies. lnternational companies. lt's where we are. lt's what we are" - Kuman-Kuman from scene of "The Interpreter"
Abdelkader Badawi
The journey of Jack Welsh in GE inspired me a lot to start up my own business, moreover I started my MBA after reading this book.
I recommend the book for all those who think of starting a business or being a future executive
George
This book was much better than I expected, although I have to admit to thinking that I would not like the book at all. Jack Welch has always seemed to be very hyped and guru - like...and the quotes on the dust jacket for the book are just over the top. I halfway expected there to be a story about how "on the third day Jack Welch awoke and..."

Anyway, the book won me over, I have to admit. Specifically, I found his advice and experience to be relevant and clearly presented -- accessible, even tho
Ayoola Efunkoya
2005 or 2095? Jack and Suzy Welch’s business management and leadership title ‘Winning’ will continue to be an all-time musst-read for graduates fresh out of the university seeking employment, entrepreneurs with the next best idea that will change the world, and business executives seeking knowledge on how to remain relevant on their jobs without losing out on the benefits that come with having a family of their own.

The former Chief executive at General Electric alongside the one-time Harvard Bus
Alex Timberman
Jack Welch, one of the greats, dishes out a lot of practical wisdom in this book. He gives advice on all parts of the business from HR, M&A, competition, etc. He also gives advice from the perspective of management and from the perspective of the employee.

I found him to be a very caring leader but also at the same time a very serious businessman. It’s true, he was known for cutting out the weak or laggards throughout his long tenure. Even though he didn't try to hide the fact that he was st
Gena Divine
Nov 22, 2013 Gena Divine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I started this book as I was developing the concept of what would become my recently launched business. Many of the the principles Jack discusses have already been put into action and others I'm looking forward to implementing. My biggest takeaways:

-My bosses cautioned me about my candor. Now that my GE career is over, I'm telling you that it was my candor that helped make it work. It just felt natural to speak openly, argue and debate, and get things to happen fast.

-What leaders do: -relentless
Lucas
Dec 19, 2012 Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Candor Effect:
1) Candor gets more people in the conversation, and when you get more people in the conversation, to state the obvious,, you get idea rich. By that, I mean any more ideas get surfaced, discussed, pulled apart, and improved. Instead of everyone shutting down, everyone opens up and learns.
2) Candor generates speed. When ideas are in everyone's face, they can be debated rapidly, expanded and enhanced, and acted upon.
3) Candor cuts costs - lots - although you'll never be able to pu
Greg
Oct 08, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was okay. The scope of it was a bit too wide to be appealing in general. For example, there is a lot of space dedicated to thoughts on handling mergers and acquisitions, etc. These are normally treated from the perspective of management, so most people reading the book won't have a direct need of much of the information in those chapters, and those dead spots can make the book a bit of a slog at times. And if you are management, and the much of the content does directly apply to you, I ...more
im gonna win the book challenge 2 4 Jun 17, 2016 04:21PM
Bookkeeping Services: An Idea that can change the course 1 1 Feb 05, 2016 10:36PM
Where Are The Won Books? 1 19 Jan 14, 2014 01:40PM
Winning 5 56 May 12, 2013 01:00PM
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • The Daily Drucker: 366 Days of Insight and Motivation for Getting the Right Things Done
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • Leading Change
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time
  • Sam Walton: Made In America
  • The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors
  • Business @ the Speed of Thought: Succeeding in the Digital Economy
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Nuts!
  • Tough Choices: A Memoir
  • Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck--Why Some Thrive Despite Them All
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
John Francis "Jack" Welch, Jr. has been Chairman and CEO of General Electric, coauthor with his wife Suzy Welch of a widely read weekly business column, The Welch Way, and recently launched the "Jack Welch Management Institute," an online MBA program.
More about Jack Welch...

Winning (2 books)
  • Winning: The Answers: Confronting 74 of the Toughest Questions in Business Today

“Common mission trap for companies: trying to be all things to all people at all times.” 8 likes
“Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” 6 likes