Start by marking “From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  48 reviews
From Panic to Power is Lucinda Bassett's inspiring account of the proven techniques she used to overcome anxiety disorder and regain control of her life.

A bestseller with more than 72,000 hardcover copies sold, From Panic to Power offers techniques and skills to the ever–growing number of people who are adversely affected by today's overwhelmingly stressful environment. L
Published January 1st 1900 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about From Panic to Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Panic to Power

Julianna
Jan 13, 2012 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Has Panic Attacks and/or Anxiety Disorder
I have suffered from occasional panic attacks for years but hadn't really put a name to them until somewhat recently. When I began experiencing general anxiety disorder in the summer of 2011, I began looking for more help. A quick search of Amazon brought up From Panic to Power. Lucinda Bassett's name happened to be familiar to me, because a friend had mentioned her anxiety program to me years ago before I knew what I was suffering from. I immediately got a copy of the book from the library and ...more
Kitty
Drivel. A book for someone that knows little about themselves or what their emotions and body have been going through, or what it is called. The author is not a medical doctor and fills most of the book with her own personal experiences and those "case studies" she's come across during her lifetime. She includes these case studies so that one of them will relate to her audience. She also uses her book to promote her audio tapes and Midwestern Clinic for Stress and Anxiety. Her suggestions are to ...more
Hazel
This is a fabulous book and already my anxiety has decreased. This book has taught me to use compassionate self talk and replace my negative thoughts with positive ones. Understanding our thought processes is the first step in recovery, we have the power to change and this book shows you how. I have a severe anxiety disorder along with other disorders and I can't begin to explain how much this book has been helping me through. A little over a month ago I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital af ...more
Kathleen
If you have ever had such debilitating anxiety that interferes with your day to day life and leaves you feeling alone and confused, buy this book. I've struggled with panic attacks and anxiety for years and just recently swallowed my pride and purchased self help books. I read this book during a particular difficult time in my life with my anxiety and it helped tremendously. Just reading from someone who not only experienced horrible anxiety herself but then turned her life and others around mad ...more
Nikki Ball
This book saved my life. I was suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks during college, to the point where I couldn't even drive myself to school anymore without having to pull over or turn around. I lost 20lbs, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep and was wasting away to nothing. It was affecting my classes, my job and my relationships. I was at my breaking point. I did not want to have to go on medication so I was using yoga as a therapy. A patient at my mom's dental office recommended this boo ...more
Heidi Wiechert
Lucinda doesn't put forth new ideas for cognitive behavioral therapy when dealing with anxiety, but some of her thoughts were helpful. An example: define exactly what "being in control" means to you. I had never really considered that and what my own definition revealed about my personality surprised me. Another piece of advice from the book: take responsibility for your own feelings. Also helpful. Stress and uncontrollable events happen to everyone. We can't control that, but we can control how ...more
This is a self help book written by a motivational speaker. The book is an easy read and can be empowering if you can overlook its flaws. Although there is no groundbreaking information relayed, Ms. Bassett gives frequent reminders that it is possible to learn skills to cope with and manage anxiety. Individuals can change the way they respond to anxious thoughts and learn to manage even severe anxiety symptoms. The problem is that, at times, this book reads like an infomercial for her CD program ...more
Traze
I appreciated Lucinda's kind words and the solid advice she ventured to offer in this book. To be honest I didn't really get much in the way of new knowledge / insight on my anxiety in this book. I pretty much knew about all the coping techniques Lucinda presented here.

The only things I guess I was kind of iffy about that I found the book helped me a lot with were the general changes I needed to make in order to cement the CBT I've been performing on myself. The words haven't really sank in, bu
mysticbookworm
This book is such an easy, down-to-earth read. So...you're probably wondering why the f(*& has it taken me so long to finish it? Well, because I'm great at helping others with their own problems/issues, but horrible with facing my own. Reading this has not been easy by any means, in fact, I've had to force myself to finish it. After having two migraines and two panic attacks all within a week of each other, I finally got my butt in gear to address my issues and finish the book.

I want to cha
Vangelicmonk
May 26, 2007 Vangelicmonk rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Panic Attack sufferers.
Shelves: health
This book is currently on loan to a friend who suffers with this currently. Basset puts forth a classic analysis that is essentially Cognative Therapy. God allowed me to go through this and it has allowed me to help others in the process. I regularly loan out this book and probably should buy a few copies. It helped me better understand what I was going through at the time (I don't suffer with it much at all and I'm no longer on any medications for it) and it was a step toward my recovery.
Robin Hammond
This was a very good self help book. while reading you feel like it an actual conversation. She gives you very good explanations and examples of the different types of anxiety and depression. over all a good, positive and helpful book.
Jan Springer
This is another book (and audio tapes) on my keeper shelf! I've read and reread Lucinda's book "From Panic to Power" many times and I also benefited from her audio tapes Attacking Anxiety. For readers with anxiety and panic attacks, you may find Lucinda's stuff helpful. She, herself, has experienced panic and anxiety and all the fun stuff (not) that goes along with it. It helped me to change my way of thinking. Highly recommended!
Julie
I didn't actually finish it, because I feel I've definitely worked through my panic issues on my own before I had a chance to get through the whole book, which is great! I will definitely keep it on my shelf in case I know someone else who could use it.

REVISION: read more of it, and decided this book is not much help at all. There were few techniques, and too much of other people's, including the author's stories.
Marilyn
While I've suffered anxiety for years, and managed it, recently die to health issues, my anxiety had peaked and was debilitating. While I am very attuned to my body and emotions, (perhaps too attuned); I found it harder and harder to get back to the basics of breathing and putting my mind at ease. This book helped me refocus and differentiate between true body malfunctions and mere panic.
Jaime
I really liked this book. I have re-read it a couple of times because the advice and techniques she gives are really useful and sometimes when you battle with anxiety it is hard to remember that the thoughts and feelings you are experiencing are part of it. By reading this and hearing her account, I didn't feel so alone and felt like I had a better understanding of anxiety and coping techniques.
Andrea Fortwendel
Extremely practical and easy to read. A book that paints a picture of the anxiety ridden person and provides a lot of insight on how to heal yourself. I felt like I was reading my own biography, but with a few surprises I didn't even know about myself. Lots of light bulb moments for me. A book worth reading for anyone trying to understand and overcome anxiety.
Toni
I really love Lucinda. I got her anxiety program about 9 years ago it helped me tremendously. Even now if I get really anxious or depressed and I listen to one of her tapes (I have the tapes it was so long ago LOL) it really calms me down. This book is really great too. Highly recommend! Now I see she has a new book out I want to read!
This is a wonderful book on anxiety disorders told from the perspective of a person who has suffered them...Imagine That!! This is much better than any other books, workbooks or other materials I have received from Doctors on the topic. As a person suffering from anxiety I appreciate this book and hope it can help make a difference in my life
Tracy  Burd
I have had this book for awhile, and picked up to reread a few days ago. I like her style, she has so many good ideas and techniques. The book flows so easily, you think you are sitting down chatting in a group. I highly recommend her, and will be checking into some more of her books.
Vanessa
Aug 18, 2007 Vanessa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone suffering from stress and high anxieties
This is a great self help book especially for anyone who does not want to take anti-depressants. This book helps you to understand depression, stress, and anxiety and teaches you how to overcome it through healthy exercises. This book helps to build you confidence and knowledge on the subject.
Deborah
Insights and practical advice for living with anxiety whether it is an overwhelming moment or an ongoing problem. I like the fact that it's written by someone who learned to overcome these struggles rather than a professional who "knows" but has not been there.
Charylanne
Jul 14, 2011 Charylanne is currently reading it
An amazing 'Goodread Book' informative, so-far-so-good. Learning so very much from this book, the Author, Lucinda Bassett is the Founder of the Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety, Inc. is well informed and makes dealing with an Anxiety Disorder 'a piece of cake'
Trish Slyter
I have to give this book 4 stars as it really helped me. It wasn't a cure but it forced me to look at my negative thought patterns and make positive changes in my life.

A great book for people struggling with panic and anxiety.
Jevon Scott
Yes I have anger and anxiety issues so any book like this is helpful, except they all are a bit redundant saying the same things, So i suggest if you're interested in reading such books pick one and that will be all you need.
Jeffcharie Charie
I read this to help people in my life who have anxiety and found that it actually benefitted me a bunch. I don't think most of us realize how stressful life is for us most of the time.
Krista
Reading this book absolutely changed my life by shifting my anxieties into power to resolve all my issues. Great info! and Highly recommended for those struggling to cope w/ anxiety.
Tracy
I was given this book by a dear friend and finally had the courage to read it as I wrestle with anxiety. I felt the suggestions and explanations were helpful and encouraging.
Tammy
I didn't even realize I was experiencing anxiety, and panic attacks until I was referred to this book. It has some great tactics to let go of these feelings and thoughts.
Kristen
If you ever struggle with anxiety, read this book. Great basics on the mechanics of the condition and the stories will help you remember you are not alone and can overcome it!
Melissa Shreve
great book to help you understand panic attacks. Helps to understand what the feelings are and what you can do to help those that are having a panic attack. IT IS REAL
  • 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Laws in Everyday Life
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You
  • Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe
  • NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • EMDR: The Breakthrough "Eye Movement" Therapy For Overcoming Anxiety, Stress, And Trauma
  • Fairy Tale
  • Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
  • Every Woman Needs a Wife
  • Healing Through the Dark Emotions: The Wisdom of Grief, Fear, and Despair
  • Castle of the Wolf
  • Istri Pilihan (Bride Wanted)
  • Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • The Dance of Fear: Rising Above Anxiety, Fear, and Shame to Be Your Best and Bravest Self
Lucinda Bassett: Guiding you through personal transformation

For millions of people worldwide, Lucinda Bassett is a symbol of hope and strength. She has dedicated her career to helping others achieve personal transformation; guiding people through fear, challenge, change, and loss to a life of happiness and fulfillment. Lucinda’s own story of personal transformation starts with overcoming a debilit
More about Lucinda Bassett...
Truth Be Told: A Memoir of Success, Suicide, and Survival The Solution: Conquer Your Fear, Control Your Future Life Without Limits: Conquer Your Fears, Achieve Your Dreams, and Make Yourself Happy Attacking Anxiety and Depression From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life