Start by marking “Layla's Head Scarf” as Want to Read:

Layla's Head Scarf

Published September 1st 2009 by Star Bright Books (first published May 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Layla's Head Scarf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Layla's Head Scarf

Betsy
Nov 30, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
Picture books serve all kinds of purposes. Some are meant to entertain. Others to instruct. Some deal with concrete subjects, and others are more emotional. Today I was asked at my library to come up with a list of children's books in which a character is visibly different from the other kids in their class. It was tough, but I came up with a couple, ending with One Green Apple by Eve Bunting. The books I listed had to be part of my library's collection, which disappointed me because if there we ...more
Alice
Aug 25, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
I guess I expected more from this book. I wanted it to be about diversity. I wanted it to be more about why Layla wears a head scarf. I was hoping it would teach children that we all have different cultures and religions and customs but that doesn't mean they are bad or evil. It talks about a Jewish grandfather who wears a hat, and talks about where Layla is from but it isn't specific. First Graders are curious and it would have been nice if they talked about why Layla wear a head scarf and what ...more
Carmen Maya
Mar 26, 2014 Carmen Maya rated it really liked it
How to tackle being different? Layla is new to the school and some of the children question her about why she wears a head scarf. She feels sad and threatened, and doesn't want to join in with the rest of the group. Her teacher gets the whole class to draw a picture of their families and they realise how they are all different in their own way.

It is an excellent way to deal with issues of multiculturalism and belonging. A great book to use for a PSHE lesson!
Jane Njoroge
Mar 15, 2016 Jane Njoroge rated it it was amazing
by Miriam Cohen,
The book is entertaining and involving.Layla, the new girl in first grade, is hesitant to participate in school-day activities because she is afraid that her head scarf makes her look too different from her classmates. But as the day progresses, and the curious first graders learn more about Layla's culture, they help to make her feel more comfortable in her new school.
Kate Hastings
Dec 04, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grades PreK- 3, multicultural, tolerance
Layla is Muslim and has just moved to the United States. She is very shy in the classroom, which isn't helped by the fact that other students are unfamiliar with her culture. Over time, students think about how each of their families have certain traditions and times for dressing or doing their hair a certain way-- and that Layla isn't really that different after all.
Anti Wibawa
Feb 07, 2011 Anti Wibawa rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
having been reading this book, my daughter starts to think of that being different can be special too :)
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Faith Tydings
Faith Tydings rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Barb Middleton
Barb Middleton rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
May 31, 2011
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2011
Chacha (Vanessa) Centeno
Chacha (Vanessa) Centeno rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Amber Rose
A book that speaks into our era.
Munai
Munai rated it it was ok
May 11, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2010
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Layla
Layla rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Corey
Corey rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Marissa García
Marissa García rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Shana
Shana rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Katie Scherrer
Katie Scherrer marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2009
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2009
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Jan 01, 2010
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2010
Tara
Tara added it
Sep 07, 2010
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2011
Kulsoom
Kulsoom marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Houses
Houses marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
BorcheltFamily
BorcheltFamily marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Ashley Howd
Ashley Howd marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Sujei
Sujei added it
May 29, 2014
Julien
Julien marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
W.
W. marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Pam
Pam added it
Dec 13, 2015
Jessica Salaam
Jessica Salaam marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Stephanie Sananikone
Stephanie Sananikone marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Kathryn Allen
Kathryn Allen marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016