Start by marking “Scenting the Dark and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Scenting the Dark and Other Stories

Scenting the Dark and Other Stories

These things await you: Love and hope in the aftermath of a very personal environmental apocalypse. Fear that comes in being trapped in your own body, enslaved by your own faulty synapses. Dread in a cure that works in unexpected ways. Discovery of what you've always known, but couldn't face, about your own lover.

Explore these and more in the seven beautiful, wounded lands
Published November 1st 2009 by Subterranean Company

To ask other readers questions about Scenting the Dark and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scenting the Dark and Other Stories

Daniel
I was disappointed by this book. I had heard the author on a few episodes of Writing Excuses and had been impressed with what she had to say, particularly in this episode. As a result I had high hopes for the stories in this collection.

The stories are primarily character portraits, and don't mistake me, her characters are very well drawn and believable, and her description in the narrative is apt. However, the endings of all of these stories fall flat for me. It's always clear what feeling they
Jason
May 08, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it
Mary Robinette Kowal is a great writer. She crafts engaging characters and settings, and her stories always leave me wanting more. Some of the stories in this short collection ended on a very low key, without the bang or twist that makes a short story more memorable. But surprise ending after surprise ending would get old after a while, so I'm not too unhappy about this more realistic approach. I'm not sure why Kowal hasn't turned nearly all of these short stories into novels; I expect some of t ...more
Heather
Sep 06, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok
Short stories ... how I love and hate them. All the stories I liked in this collection had a sci-fi quality to them. My favorite was the last story about a little girl on the planet of New Oregon, raising her Teddy Bear Spider. I so want one!
Roseann
Mar 05, 2010 Roseann rated it really liked it
I normally do not read short stories as they generally leave me wanting more in general, but I was happily suprised with this chapbook of tales. While some left a little to be desired as the author included her very early works, I was impressed my many of the tales which left me entirely satisfied.
Maxine
Aug 13, 2010 Maxine rated it liked it
The last story saved the day! Really enjoyed it. The others seemed to be college papers with little footnotes at the end.
Patrick W
Jan 07, 2010 Patrick W rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on my review blog, Stomping on Yeti, at http://yetistomper.blogspot.com/2010/... Words or Less: In one of the most impressive debut collections I�ve read, Kowal proves why she deserves the Campbell Award for Best New Writer by portraying identifiable characters in unforgettable scenes.[return][return]Rating: 5/5 stars[return][return]The Good: Kowal�s stories evoke honest emotion with apparently little effort; Authentic sounding dialogue free from tags and other ...more
Sunil
Jan 07, 2012 Sunil rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2010
"Portrait of Ari": Two artists, Tom & the titular Ari, pull an all-nighter. They start out a loving couple, but it's the middle and end that make it really interesting. I was impressed and surprised by the fact that I didn't actually need a lot of explanation for this story to be compelling. It just...is. It's quite unnerving. A-

"Death Comes But Twice": A man writes a letter to his wife because he is about to die. His friend has concocted an elixir that brings you back from the dead. How are
Brent
Brent rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Mord
Mord rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2016
Xi
Xi rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2010
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
Scott D.
Scott D. rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2010
Curtis Chen
Curtis Chen rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2010
Greyweather
Greyweather rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2009
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2009
Jacob
Jacob rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2016
Potter Masre
Potter Masre rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2011
John Devenny
John Devenny rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2010
Loraine Szatai
Loraine Szatai rated it did not like it
May 11, 2012
Tracy
Jul 21, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of short stories, just not long enough, I wanted more!
Carol Aspros
Carol Aspros rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2017
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2011
Nazanin
Nazanin rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2010
Gio
Gio rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2014
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Unpossible and Other Stories
  • Johnny Halloween: Tales of the Dark Season
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • Fast Forward
  • Mother Aegypt and Other Stories
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • Woods and Waters Wild (Collected Early Stories, book 3)
  • Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories
  • The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Tenth Annual Collection
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
  • The Best of the Best, Vol 2: 20 Years of the Best Short Science Fiction Novels
Mary Robinette Kowal was the 2008 recipient of the Campbell Award for Best New Writer and her short story "For Want of a Nail" won the 2011 Hugo. Her stories have appeared in Strange Horizons, Asimov’s, and several Year's Best anthologies. She is the author of Shades of Milk and Honey and Glamour in Glass (Tor 2012).

Mary, a professional puppeteer and voice actor, has performed for LazyTown (CB
More about Mary Robinette Kowal...