Defeat the Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #6)

Defeat the Darkness (Paladins of Darkness #6)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  888 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Hard-eyed and hard-bodied, Hunter Fitzsimon isn't what Tate Justice expected in a tenant for the apartment above her garage. Terse and intensely private, Hunter's mission is to protect a narrow stretch of the barrier between Earth and Kalithia against the Paladins' ruthless enemies -- a job that would be much easier without his sexy landlady nosing around. So when she foll...more
Published February 23rd 2010 by Pocket Star (first published February 1st 2010)

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
233rd out of 1,186 books — 10,703 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardLover Unbound by J.R. WardHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Hot Paranormal Romance
452nd out of 998 books — 1,307 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie (Bitten by Romance)
The book has a good start, then slows some but pick‘s up again. You get humor, action, mystery and, adventure, just not as much as the other books in this series. You do have more emotions in this one because of the relationship between Tate and Hunter. This book also misses the hot sex as the others. it’s a good quick read, but it just didn’t garb me and pulled me into the story as the rest.

I liked the setting in this book its back to Washington, Tate inherited a B&B form her uncle but s...more
Melindeeloo
Paladin protector Hunter's last death has left him wounded in body and in mind after being tortured to death by Other's - he still walks with a limp, can't tolerate being indoors at night and suffers flashback episodes. Worst of all he feels he will never again be able to fulfill his purpose as warrior and since he can't perform his normal duties he's sent to the Northwest to watch a newly discovered portion of the barrier - the Paladin's are hopeful that this important doorway to the Other worl...more
valee
I'm not sure why many liked more the other books in this series but for me this one was one of the bests. I enjoyed every page and didn't want to put it down for a sec. What's not to love about a wounded hero and a heroine strong enough to be what he needs? But it was more than that, it was a spicy relationship from the beginning, I adore to see the main couple fighting all the time, in a good way, with a lot of constant tension between them. You just don't know if they are gonna kiss or discuss...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Okay, more like 4.5 stars...but there's no half ratings. I loved Hunter from when we first saw him in his flannel pjs in the previous book!
Here we find Hunter trying to heal not just his injuries, but his soul. He was just mean and awful to new landlady Tate Justice, but man oh man did he make an impression. And of course Tate helps Hunter defeat the darkness in his soul (bad pun) and she deals well with his panic attack on their one date, impressing Hunter. I loved DJ and Larem's roles in this...more
Mandi Schreiner
GUEST REVIEWED BY KARRA

One of the awful truths about being a Paladin warrior is that no matter how ruthless they fight, they’ll eventually die—several times throughout their lifetimes.

Paladin warrior Hunter Fitzsimon received an up close and personal reminder of this particular fate the day he was ambushed by renegade Others (escaped Kalithians) and beaten to a bloody pulp. The only thing that saved him from further torture at their hands was his death, and even then, he couldn’t rest long. Afte...more
Sheryl
3-1/2 stars: I'm not sure if I just wasn't fully "in the mood" for another Paladin book or if this book really just wasn't quite up to par with the others, but for some reason this book didn't grab me as much as the previous ones did. I did enjoy it, I just didn't feel the urge to grab the book and read every chance I got. I liked that I got to get to know D.J. and Larem more, which makes me excited to read their books more than I was before, but as far as Hunter and Tate are concerned, they lef...more
Nicci
I didn't enjoy this at all. There is nothing intriguing about Hunter. The man is seriously bi polar. Why Tate sleeps with him I will never know.
Bad dialogue and stupid sounding names. Tate Justice, Penn Sebastian. This book was boring, and horribly edited. Often you would find words that were obviously switched in a sentence or repeated twice in a row. Serious flaws in grammer interrupt even the best stories.
Into the donations pile you go
Paranormal Haven
4.5 Stars

Hunter Fitzsimon is a Paladin. A Paladin is a warrior who fights Others in order to protect humans and guards the boundary (The boundary is a barrier that separates our world from the Kalith's. An Other is a Kalith that has gone crazy and murderous). An upside to being a Paladin is you have superior strength, heal quickly and have a longer life span. The downside is you die, over and over again.

When we last saw Hunter he had just been tortured and killed by Others. The injury he sustai...more
Cherry Mischievous
Review:
This book picked up where Darkness Unknown (book 5) left off, sort of. The Missouri Paladin, Hunter, got hurt really bad in book 5, and here his story continues. It was slow going at first but the pace did pick up about halfway through and moved faster as it neared the end. I love the world of the Paladins even if their world is stintingly unbelievable. I put it down to the author's story telling abilities that convinced me to suspend disbelief when I first started reading this series. Wi...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Hunter is a wounded warrior. He's a pretty irritable one too. He has good reason as the "others" tortured him to death. Back on he mend, but not 100%, he's shipped off to Seattle to help my favourite group of Paladins. Bane and his crew found place where Kalithia could be sneaking in.

In Justice Point, Tate runs a tea shop/bed breakfast/gym and apartment for rent. What exactly is this place her uncle left her? Reading about her shop, I can't fathom how she makes any money. She gives food away and...more
Sara Strand
OK- so this is part of a series and I obviously missed the first few books, but it didn't matter. I'm finding myself more and more into the weird paranormal/sci-fi romance. I don't know- first it was vampires and now we are onto Paladins and shit. I can't explain it and I don't understand it, but if a book makes my girly parts happy- I DON'T CARE WHAT I'M READING. Bottom line.

So our chick is a little tea shop owner who ends up falling, albeit reluctantly, for our hero- a damaged Paladin, which i...more
Melinda
This was actually the first book in the series I read. It was so intriguing that I had to start at the beginning. I liked Tate and Hunter. Tate is the type of heroine I really like because she takes care of herself and is willing to fight with the hero. As a matter of fact some of their conflict is because he wants her to hide out and she's not having it. Those are the type of heroines I like because you had a life before you met your hero and self-sufficiency is admirable trait. Generally all t...more
Szinna
Szeretném a most lefekszem veled, aztán kerüllek mint a tüzet, főhősök fejét jócskán a falhoz csapkodni. De az írók szerint ez a kívánatos főhős és így próbálják kifejezni a belső gyötrődést. Szerintem tévednek. Én sokkal jobban kedveltem a sorozat azon szereplőit, akik odaálltak a hősnő elé és azt mondták: gondold meg mit döntesz, mert én nem leszek senki kis piszkos titka. Nekem nem kell olyan szerető, aki szégyell végigmenni velem az utcán. Azok a gerinces hősök! És Ms. Morgan tud olyat is sz...more
Maria
I think this the sixth installation in Alexis Morgans fabulous series about the Paladins is´n quite as good as the other ones. Hunters attitude towards Tate makes me a bit angry. And I found it hard to believe that Hunter would help Tate in her shop as readily as he does.

I do feel for Hunter, sometimes I would like to just hug him tight even if he wants nothing of it. He is so hurt.
But since Ms Morgan is such a skilled writer she let the story evolve so that Hunter can heal and accept both him s...more
(Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ Oakes
Mar 06, 2010 (Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ Oakes rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to (Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ by: Alexis Morgan
Shelves: pnr
Defeat the Darkness
4 ½ stars out of 5

I am so glad we get to meet this sexy Paladin warrior again that first made his appearance in the caves of Missouri in only a pair of flannel pajama pants. Yes, meet Hunter Fitzsimon, recently brought back from a nearly permanent death.
His injuries were severe and he still has not fully healed from the events that took place at the hands of the “others”.

Hunter is being transferred to Seattle to a tiny town called Justice Point...

Okay, to read the FULL review...more
Cindyg
I love this series. Hunter and Tate are great...they fight their attraction but not so long that you get fustrated. Hunter survived a terrible attack and not just his body suffered damage, he's hurting body and soul. He fights his attraction to Tate but that woman is strong and smart and she gets Hunter's blood boiling without even trying. I didn't realize how much I had enjoyed this series until I started reading this book. Alexis is one hell of a story teller. Look forward to the next book. I...more
Cindy
SO loving this series now. Was a little slow to get into the first one but now I'm hooked. Going to fast.
Maria
This was my first Alexis Morgan book and I’ve really enjoyed it. Besides the romantic dimension, a mixture of lust and tenderness laced with lots of humour, I liked the main couple, supported by a cast of solid secondary characters, and the attention given to feelings and emotions like simple affection, friendship or general human bonding.
Even the paranormal part, not so appealing to me, was interesting.
I felt that the end of the book was perhaps a bit rushed, but I do intend to read more books...more
Dee
I had a moment of sadness after reading the last page of this book.

It appears the series is over and I'm going to miss Bane, Blake, Jarvis, Morgan and siblings Barak & Lusahn.

The Paladins books went by so fast - I enjoyed Alexis Morgan's writing style and was never bored. Another plus is that she incorporated leading men/women from previous books into each subsequent book and so we could see what happened to them.

Hopefully, Morgan's next series will be as well written as this one.
Stacie
Jul 12, 2010 Stacie added it
This is a continuation of the Paladin Warriors series. This is the story of Hunter. He has been assigned to the area where Tate runs a bed and breakfast. He rents a room from her and tries to appear as normal as possible. It does not take Tate long to realize that something more is going on with Hunter. She follows him into the woods late one night and sees more than she should know about. So Hunter has to decide what to do about her and his feelings for her.
Marie
I really liked Hunter's book, worked very well. While I thought this was the end of the Paladin series, I went to the authors website and found she had more planned. Since they've captured the person who's been stealing the blue gems I figured that was it. I'm glad there will be more because I'd like to read books on the other characters, but with the blue gem mystery cleared up I don't see much else to carry the series on.
Panichaya
4.5 stars at least.

I did something terrible. I skipped the other 3 and read this one. I had no idea what happened, the next thing I knew I already finished the book. It was THAT good.

I love Hunter and Tate. I love their interactions. I love how understanding she was about his circumstances, although she annoyed me a little bit at the end, but all in all, she's awesome.

And Hunter, whew, hot, hot ,hot is all I can say.
Emily
I have been really stingy with my 5-star ratings recently, but had no qualms about giving 5 to any of the books in this series so far. I couldn't put the books down. The characters are likable and different enough that you don't oforget who is who like in some series. The plot lines are interesting and fast paced. An excellent series! Now to find something on my bookshelf that can follow it!
Alexis
For me, it was a quick, easy read. Although, I thought the story was a little boring at times and repetitive, it was still okay though. I wish there was a more exciting ending too. This was the first book I have read from this author, and I'm still deciding if I would read any more from her. Most likely maybe.
Valkyrie
I enjoyed all the Paladin stories. It's a good series to read as Alexis Morgan has wonderful fun way of writing the stories. She will have you laughing out loud. I've had to apologize for my outburst at times..;) They are action filled, and yes romance filled, which I would rate as moderate to hot scenes.
Heather
Hunter and Tate's story is by far one of my favorites in the series. 3-5 were good but lacked something in plot development. This one was a well rounded story with well developed characters. Morgan continues to not disappoint in her story telling.
Nichele
Apr 27, 2010 Nichele rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: yes
I did enjoy this book, but I had bought the whole series and then read them back to back. Needless to say, the first two were my favorite and the others started to blend in with each other. I will definately continue to read this author.
Rebecca
The Paladins always kick butt and this one is no exception. Hunter is the right amount of wounded and tough while Tate is strong willed and every bit his match. I really enjoyed this!!
Gizzie
This book was a little different then the others in the series. It tied some things together but didn't have as much action. Loved the book but in a different way. The mystery continues!
Lisa
Jan 14, 2012 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: All paranormal romance fans
This was book No.5 in the Palidin series and it was great. Hunter & Tate were not only hot tempered but a very hot couple. I really am enjoying this series. 4/5
  • Whisper Kiss (Dragonfire, #5)
  • Atlantis Unleashed (Warriors of Poseidon,  #3)
  • Red Kiss (Gods of Midnight, #2)
  • Master of Fire (Mageverse, #6)
  • Night After Night (Brotherhood of Blood, #5)
  • A Vampire for Christmas (Includes: Sweetblood, #2.5)
  • Hunter's Salvation (The Hunters, #11)
  • The Awakening (Immortals, #3)
  • Storm of Shadows (The Chosen Ones, #2)
  • The Haunting (Immortals, #7)
  • Moonlight Warrior (Midnight Bay, #1)
  • Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3)
Alexis Morgan grew up near St. Louis and received a B.A. in English from the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She and her husband have made the Pacific Northwest their home for more than thirty years, where she launched her career as a writer. She is published in paranormal romance, fantasy romance, American West historicals, and most recently, contemporary romances with her new Snowberry Creek s...more
More about Alexis Morgan...
Dark Protector (Paladins of Darkness, #1) Dark Defender (Paladins of Darkness, #2) In Darkness Reborn (Paladins of Darkness, #3) Redeemed in Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #4) Darkness Unknown (Paladins of Darkness, #5)