Start by marking “Where's the Big Bad Wolf?” as Want to Read:
Where's the Big Bad Wolf?

Where's the Big Bad Wolf?

Whenever there’s trouble on Detective Doggedly’s beat, that low-down, no-good, chicken-chasing, pig-poaching Big Bad Wolf is always the prime suspect. But when the three little pigs’ house is huffed and puffed into a pile of straw and only a sheep named Esmeralda is found at the scene of the crime, Doggedly has a new mystery to solve: Where’s the Big Bad Wolf?
With the hel
Published September 23rd 2002 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Where's the Big Bad Wolf?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where's the Big Bad Wolf?

Jennie Park
Jan 31, 2011 Jennie Park added it
Shelves: fairytale
This is another fun, mystery read for elementary school students. It's one version of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf told from a different perspective. The narrator is a police detective dog named Phineas T. Doggedly and is looking for the big bad wolf who keeps being "bad" and disrupting the peace in town. We can relate this book to independent writing where students write from their own perspective talking about personal experience or persuasive essays where they try to convince th ...more
Markie Wise
Apr 22, 2015 Markie Wise rated it really liked it
Where's the Big Bad Wolf? is quite a fun wrinkle on the classic tale! Making a twist on the classic Three Little Pigs story into a mystery type story really makes it exciting. This story starts as a dog detective, Doggedly, looking for an often Wanted Big Bad Wolf that seems to always be victimizing pigs around town. Three pigs keep trying to build a house taking advice from a sheep and it keeps getting blown down. In the end we find out that the sheep is actually the Big Bad Wolf in a sheep out ...more
Lexus Beedy
Feb 26, 2015 Lexus Beedy rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed reading this book. As it is a twist off the original Three Little Pigs, its illustrations could be described as jumping off the page with great use of line to create movement. Not only do the images stand out when compared to other books I’ve read, but this book also contains wacky phrases that really engage the reader to find out what happens next. Children will love reading this!

Purpose:
This book would be appropriate for grade levels K-2nd as a read aloud. De
Haley Hardwick
Personal Reaction: I really loved this story! It is a different take on the Three Little Pigs, and has a mystery element to it also. I like how on each page there are little clues in the illustrations to figure out who the culprit is!

Purpose: Read aloud for students grades 1-3
-enjoyment, it is a story they probably have heard before but with a different spin on it. Folk Literature Variant
-the mystery element is also very engaging and entreating for students to try and figure out who the bad guy
Kathryn Herbert
Nov 11, 2014 Kathryn Herbert rated it liked it
Where’s the Big Bad Wolf? is a fun, mystery picture book written and illustrated by Eileen Christelow. In whodunit spirit, Christelow has a fresh take on the classic version of The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. Police detective Phineas T. Doggedly works as the narrator for the story with the hopes of catching the culprit, the Big Bad Wolf, who has been disrupting the town’s peace. This fast-paced story gives the audience not only an opportunity to guess for clues, but to hunt down that ...more
Abbie Shawano
Personal Reaction:

-I thought that "Where's the Big Bad Wolf" was a great take on the three little pigs classic. It incorporated all of the same characters, but it also introduced new ones including a doggy detective and cows. This children's book is a mystery and the detective goes on many adventure while trying to solve it. The thought is that the big bad wolf blew down the house of straw, but readers may be surprised by the outcome. The illustrations and the motifs of the dog are good tools to
Lennique02
Nov 13, 2014 Lennique02 rated it really liked it
This book was a great twist off the "Three Little Pigs". I like how it kept the traditional story of the "Three Little Pigs" but still added it's own flavor by creating a mystery. They added a dog in the story as the detective of the town, along with the Three Little Pig's neighbor, the older Cows. There was only one criminal in the town, the Big Bad Wolf, and he kept harassing the towns people but the detective would always catch him. The Wolf would promise that he was done causing trouble, but ...more
lprater
Nov 06, 2011 lprater rated it liked it
Part of literature unit:

Police detective Phineas T. Doggedly is on the case of a huffing and puffing criminal. Already suspicious of the big bad wolf, the police detective works to see who or what is blowing down the houses of three innocent pigs. Whenever he shows up at the scene of the crime, it appears that a sheep is always close by. In the end, the detective figures out who is responsible for the crimes. This book is colorfully illustrated in muted tones, which adds to the setting of the ni
Emily Morris
Dec 17, 2013 Emily Morris rated it it was amazing
In zesty small town spirit this book tells the whodunnit mystery involving three pigs getting bad advice from a mysterious sheep, some badgering old cows, and a detective dog who works as the narrator. As one can probably guess, this is yet another angle on the whole Three Little Pigs story, and yet it manages to be its own plot altogether, what with poor detective Doggedly spending his nights watching the pigs' place for signs of suspicious activity.

It's hilarious, fresh, and amazingly complex
The Brothers
Mar 07, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: detectives, wolves
The story is about a detective dog in charge of keeping things safe in the area. He only has one nemesis - the Big Bad Wolf (BBW). Sometimes a little hard to read because the voice bubbles repeat what the text says. Easier to get through on multiple readings.

The drawings are fun to look at.
Slayermel
Jan 28, 2015 Slayermel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of young children and Preschool Teachers
This is a retelling of the three little pigs and the Big Bad Wolf, and it’s told as a mystery with Detective Doggedly doing the narrative. This was a very cute way to re-do the story. Detective Doggedly is driving when one day out of nowhere the wind stirs up so much hay that he has a hard time seeing through it. He can hear a pig squealing and just knows that the BBW is up to no good again, even though he promised to stay out of trouble. The rest of the story is Detective Doggedly trying to sol ...more
Megan Goss
Nov 16, 2010 Megan Goss rated it liked it
This is another spin-off to The Three Little Pigs but through the perspective of Detective Doggedly (first person narrative). The illustrations appear to look more like a comic strip because the characters look cartoonish with speech bubbles. After a few pictures, you realize it is the wolf dressed in a sheep costume and there are some references to sheep. For example, "BBW's pulling the wool over your eyes." I liked that the wise cows take the little pigs in and teach them how to build a real h ...more
Pat Marrujo
Oct 25, 2012 Pat Marrujo rated it really liked it
This was not your traditional three little pigs story. It was told from the point of view of a detective dog tracking down the wolf who is blowing down pigs houses.

He is stumped by the mystery because it turns out the wolf is dressing as a sheep to cover up his crimes.

I like the way this book makes young readers think and go beyond the traditional story. It is unique and dont in a comic book-esque format. The visuals of it are appealing and make it a fun read for kids.
Nicole
Nov 04, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Police Detective Phineas T. Doggedly is on a hunt for low-down, chicken chasing, pig-poaching rascal known as the Big Bad Wolf. After being caught, the Big Bad Wolf breaks his promise to never do his dirty deeds again. Dressed up as a sheep named Esmerlda, the wolf befriends three little pigs who the wolf intends to eat. Meanwhile, the Detective is trying to connect the clues of a sheep with a gray tail. With the help of the neighborhood cows, the Big Bad Wolf is captured.
Megan
Jan 21, 2011 Megan rated it it was ok
Recommended to Megan by: Mrs. Nicholas
A clueless detective investigates the collapse of several houses belonging to little pigs. Although there is literally a wolf in sheep's clothing hanging around every crime scene, he never catches on. A better take on the tale of the Three Little Pigs would be The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith.
Matthew
Mar 21, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
This is pretty much a detective version of The Three Little Pigs, and it works for me. I read this to younger students and I was able to introduce the words clue and solve into their vocabulary. Not bad for a fractured retelling of an old fairy tale. It got a few laughs out of the kids and it kept them engaged.
Thomas Hogle
Mar 15, 2012 Thomas Hogle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I will buy it and read it to my son Hank for sure. When I was looking up mystery books for beginners this is what I was hoping to find. His is my favorite 3 little pigs story because of the fun mystery twist. I highly recommend this book.
Melanie
Jul 07, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it
I do love a different version of a classic and this definitely fits the bill. It leaves enough clues that my four year old felt confident predicting what would happen next. Definitely add this to your Three Little Pigs unit of study!
Karen
Aug 01, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-out-loud
My girls could not see that the wolf was dressed in sheep's clothing until after I spent a lot of time trying to convince them that the wolf was indeed in sheep's clothing.
Sammy
Apr 29, 2011 Sammy rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, humor
This is definitely a classic that I loved as a child. It has great illustrations that help kids engage and interact with finding the Big Bad Wold. I liked it!
Kate Hastings
Nov 06, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades PreK-2, fractured fairy tale
Shelves: picturebooks
The big bad wold if up to no good, the three pigs have found themselves in the middle of a wind storm. Twice. If only Detective Doggedly could pin it on him...
Alix Turner
Apr 23, 2012 Alix Turner rated it really liked it
A retelling of the three little pigs. So cute! I loved the mystery and was intrigued the whole time.
Cana
Jul 14, 2008 Cana rated it it was ok
Yet another retelling of the Three Little Pigs story.
jenna nims
Mar 13, 2010 jenna nims rated it it was ok
Shelves: caroline-2010
caroline loves this book - me not so much.
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Concha
Concha is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016