Start by marking “The Ancient Evil (Chain Letter #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ancient Evil (Chain Letter #2)

The Ancient Evil (Chain Letter #2)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  2,003 ratings  ·  57 reviews
After receiving a chain letter, a group of teens decides it must be a joke--after all, the perpetrator of the original chain letter is dead and buried. But when Fran refuses to perform her "deed", she is almost immediately killed, and the group realizes that the power behind the letters is still alive.
Published December 3rd 1992 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Ancient Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ancient Evil

Anik Sig
I'll try to keep it brief; this is honestly such a bad book that I felt frustrated reading it. I had to rush through the pages to just get it done and over with.

The bad characterisation is still there and only gets worse. Kipp, Fran, Brenda and Joan now barely have much of a presence in the book because of course the focus is now mostly on Tony and Alison, but if you're going to keep a certain number in your cast don't just push them aside and just mention their involvement in the book for like
Heather
Ugh. This is not a good sequel -- maybe because all of the characters are terrible? -- but FINALLY I remembered which book it is that has the purple massage oil that's...well...I don't want to spoil it for you, but I tell you what: THAT AIN'T REALLY MASSAGE OIL.

Predictable, predictable, predictable. But now, with Satanists! Awesome!
Veronica Morfi
In the second book of the Chain Letter Duology, the remaining members of the gang receive another chain letter a few months after the events of the first book. But this time the Caretaker is asking them to do some unimaginable things and the consequences are grave, deadly.

First off, let me start by saying I would have been perfectly happy if there wasn't a second book in the series. I just want to erase the memory of it cause I loved the first one but this one didn't live up to it.

The book star
What made the first book so scary to me was the psychological aspect, and who the Caretaker eventually was. That creeped me out because it felt very real and close.

This book, however, brought in a random supernatural explanation for everything in Chain Letter #1--even the loose ends that had already been tied up! It felt like it turned the story on its head. I was confused the whole way through and not scared at all. There wasn't one creepy moment in the entire book.

In addition, the writing wa
Kat
Jan 26, 2012 Kat rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Teens
Recommended to Kat by: 2
Shelves: owned, horror, teen
I wasn't a huge fan of this one. I liked the first book because of the characters and the overall plot of the book. The one thing I would have changed about it was actually making it "horror". None of the deeds or consequences of not doing the deeds were frightening or really that bad. In this book they change that, but they also bring in this whole backstory to the man they hit in the road in the first book, and bring in satanic cults and weird stuff. Just not my cup of tea, and should have bee ...more
Taylor
Well, I was disappointed. I was wondering how Chain Letter could of had a sequel, and now I really wish I didn't...

The Ancient Evil takes place a few months after Chain Letter leaves off. Neil's dead and now there are only six of them. One day Fran (once again) get's an envelope in the mail. And oh no, the games have started all over again. But this time they're forced to do incredibly awful things or they die a horrible death.

I was sort of interested after seeing the first task. Oh good! Some
Sophie M
Ancient Evil by Christopher Pike had potential. Following up an amazing book, it could have been great. Right when I finished The Chain Letter I was excited to embark on the next thrill with the gang. However, it was not an adventure at all and was actually quite horrible. Like I said before, it had so much potential, but it didn't live up to a single one of my standards! Although, it did have a nice hook, which made me think it would turn out fine. As I read Ancient Evil I had to keep telling m ...more
Cindy
ahhh... much much more obvious than the original. hated the misogynist comments from tony/not cool tony!
the supernatural element actually made it less scary and original and even though they imply that the supernatural was at play in book one, it's just to make this plot work and book one's story works w/o book two revelations.

i did love joan's part in book 2. she stayed badass and uncontrollable until the end.
Carmel
I love all things paranormal, supernatural so on, so on.
But this was just a badly thought out plot, with badly thought out characters and a badly thought out ending.
Yvonne
Wish he would have ended Chain Letter at the first one!
Penny
I was a little surprised to find out that the first Chain Letter book had a sequel to it and at first I was skeptical about it. Usually stand-alones that are made into a series tend to be rather terrible. I found that the sequel was a lot more action packed and felt more like a Christopher Pike book. What makes his books so unique is the great mix of mystery and supernatural/sci-fi elements. The first book really lacked the supernatural element I was so used to and I'm glad it made an appearance ...more
PurplyCookie
"If you do not perform the small service listed in the paper or if break the chain of this communication, you will be horribly killed."

Even though the Caretaker has died in the previous book, the remaining six high school graduates--except for Alison Parker--start receiving the same kind of chain letter from someone who claims to be the Caretaker. Again, most everyone thinks it's someone playing a sick joke.

But when two of them are brutally killed because they refused to follow the Caretaker's
Sarah Sammis
Alison and the surviving friends of the chain letter troubles have moved on with their lives. Some are off to college and others are working locally. Just as things seem to ge going perfectly a new chain letter arrives signed by the Caretaker. How can this be? The person responsible is dead.

Meanwhile, Alison and Tom hit a rough patch in the relationship that started near the end of the first book. Tom doesn't want Alison to go cross country to college. He starts to date a local college girl and
Anthony Herrera27812
I think that this was a very good book. It is about how a group of friends are threatened about a chain letter that tells them to do violent and emotional task, or else they will die miserably. The novel is very detailed and suspenseful. The writing is powerful and effective. The only thing that I didn't like was how it had a lot of cursing in it. However it still was a good book. I would recommend this book for adults, but i'm pretty sure that young adults would enjoy this book too.
Erin
Alisia
Makayla1364
Thsi book is bout a group of friends getting chainletters, and if oyu don't do what the chainletters say you get murdered. There were 7 now theres 4 left. I would reccomend this book to mystery lovers i think you would love it as much as i did
Stacy
This book picks up a few months after Chain Letter ends. Neil is dead and everyone believes that he was the Caretaker-the evil behind the letters they had all received. The book begins as Fran receives a letter telling her she must drown her new puppy or she will be killed. She ignores the letter and is beheaded. Allison and Tony lose faith in each other and one falls prey to an evil force.

I remember reading the first book, Chain Letter when I was in eighth grade and loving it. Christopher Pike
Courtney Romines
This one was WAY better than the first. I loved how chaotic it was and how it kept blindsiding me. I cried when Kipp and Fran died though :c
Evan
No comments recorded to my 5th grade cumulative reading log. I started it on 10/19 (1997 I believe) and gave it a 4/6. I have no recollection of this novel, nor of any other Christopher Pike books I read at the time or after, but I assume I probably had already read the orginal 'Chain Letter'.
Jasmine Lake
Sooo good, but beware! It is not the best book to read at 2am when no one is home and most of the lights in the house are off. Just don't do it.
Rebecca Payne
Confirmed: all YA books are about love...Pike just throws a bit of sex talk in.

It was okay.
Taylor
I read the bind up of this. That verSion isnt on here. I loved it
Hayden
Even better than the first!
Kabuto
I liked this better than the first one in some ways, but gave it the same rating due to the weird ending which didn't really explain much. However, I actually found this one mildly horrific which was good. The stakes are definitely risen and it's the better for it. Again, typical Pike so read it if you enjoyed the first one
Amy
every now and then you get the idea to read something from your youth. Some of those things need to stay the way they were remembered and not try to re-live the past. I know I loved Christopher Pike as a teen but I can say my tastes in authors & types of books has defintely grown and changed over the years.
Lexie
How do you read books on here
Kennedy
I do feel like the ending was rushed. In a matter of two chapters all of the facts were put together and the story line was a little rusty. However, I love his writing style and though the putting together of the story wasn't so good the plot was solid and I enjoyed it.
Primadonna
This one is rather disappointing. Not as gripping as the first. Intriguing, yes, but the chain of evil and such seems to be annoying. I wish the explanation was simpler, more logical. The bizarre chains of events (ha, pun intended) kind of turn me off. Still, it was a good read.
Belinda
i really enjoyed this book. the simple reason being i really connected with the characters.

i enjoyed Tony and Alison relationship and failed to understand why Pike is against them. it seems clear they do not love each other and only the end redeemed them.
  • Silent Night (Fear Street Super Chiller #2)
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Prom Dress
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...

Chain Letter (2 books)
  • Chain Letter (Chain Letter #1)
Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2) Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3) Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4) Remember Me (Remember Me, #1)

“There's only one sun," Alison said with feeling. "It's always the same, but it's always the best. Do you know what I mean?” 3 likes