Start by marking “The Ancient Evil (Chain Letter #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ancient Evil (Chain Letter #2)

The Ancient Evil (Chain Letter #2)

3.44  ·  Rating Details ·  2,329 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
After receiving a chain letter, a group of teens decides it must be a joke--after all, the perpetrator of the original chain letter is dead and buried. But when Fran refuses to perform her "deed", she is almost immediately killed, and the group realizes that the power behind the letters is still alive.
Published December 3rd 1992 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Ancient Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ancient Evil

Yvonne
Oct 01, 2008 Yvonne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wish he would have ended Chain Letter at the first one!
Anik Sig
Sep 04, 2014 Anik Sig rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll try to keep it brief; this is honestly such a bad book that I felt frustrated reading it. I had to rush through the pages to just get it done and over with.

The bad characterisation is still there and only gets worse. Kipp, Fran, Brenda and Joan now barely have much of a presence in the book because of course the focus is now mostly on Tony and Alison, but if you're going to keep a certain number in your cast don't just push them aside and just mention their involvement in the book for like
Taylor
Jan 03, 2015 Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I was disappointed. I was wondering how Chain Letter could of had a sequel, and now I really wish I didn't...

The Ancient Evil takes place a few months after Chain Letter leaves off. Neil's dead and now there are only six of them. One day Fran (once again) get's an envelope in the mail. And oh no, the games have started all over again. But this time they're forced to do incredibly awful things or they die a horrible death.

I was sort of interested after seeing the first task. Oh good! Some
Kylie Gieson
Cindy
Jul 28, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ahhh... much much more obvious than the original. hated the misogynist comments from tony/not cool tony!
the supernatural element actually made it less scary and original and even though they imply that the supernatural was at play in book one, it's just to make this plot work and book one's story works w/o book two revelations.

i did love joan's part in book 2. she stayed badass and uncontrollable until the end.
Heather
Jan 17, 2008 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Ugh. This is not a good sequel -- maybe because all of the characters are terrible? -- but FINALLY I remembered which book it is that has the purple massage oil that's...well...I don't want to spoil it for you, but I tell you what: THAT AIN'T REALLY MASSAGE OIL.

Predictable, predictable, predictable. But now, with Satanists! Awesome!
Lea
Jun 30, 2015 Lea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
got all paranormal/demonic all of a sudden? k
Veronica Morfi
In the second book of the Chain Letter Duology, the remaining members of the gang receive another chain letter a few months after the events of the first book. But this time the Caretaker is asking them to do some unimaginable things and the consequences are grave, deadly.

First off, let me start by saying I would have been perfectly happy if there wasn't a second book in the series. I just want to erase the memory of it cause I loved the first one but this one didn't live up to it.

The book star
PurplyCookie
"If you do not perform the small service listed in the paper or if break the chain of this communication, you will be horribly killed."

Even though the Caretaker has died in the previous book, the remaining six high school graduates--except for Alison Parker--start receiving the same kind of chain letter from someone who claims to be the Caretaker. Again, most everyone thinks it's someone playing a sick joke.

But when two of them are brutally killed because they refused to follow the Caretaker's
William Kooi
Oct 17, 2016 William Kooi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered what it would be like if someone was trying to hurt or kill you and your friends? Well that’s what the “Chain Letters 2,” is about. In this book there is a group of friends who battle against the purple letters who are sent by some evil guy that none of them know. My paragraph is going to be telling you about the setting and the characters today and how they greatly impact this book and make it the great story it is. In the story the setting is huge, it has many places to ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jul 31, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Alison and the surviving friends of the chain letter troubles have moved on with their lives. Some are off to college and others are working locally. Just as things seem to ge going perfectly a new chain letter arrives signed by the Caretaker. How can this be? The person responsible is dead.

Meanwhile, Alison and Tom hit a rough patch in the relationship that started near the end of the first book. Tom doesn't want Alison to go cross country to college. He starts to date a local college girl and
Penny Landon
I was a little surprised to find out that the first Chain Letter book had a sequel to it and at first I was skeptical about it. Usually stand-alones that are made into a series tend to be rather terrible. I found that the sequel was a lot more action packed and felt more like a Christopher Pike book. What makes his books so unique is the great mix of mystery and supernatural/sci-fi elements. The first book really lacked the supernatural element I was so used to and I'm glad it made an appearance ...more
Erin
Aug 08, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Sophie M
Feb 22, 2015 Sophie M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ancient Evil by Christopher Pike had potential. Following up an amazing book, it could have been great. Right when I finished The Chain Letter I was excited to embark on the next thrill with the gang. However, it was not an adventure at all and was actually quite horrible. Like I said before, it had so much potential, but it didn't live up to a single one of my standards! Although, it did have a nice hook, which made me think it would turn out fine. As I read Ancient Evil I had to keep telling m ...more
Belinda
Jan 23, 2013 Belinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-4-star
Now that I have finally read the previous book (14 years later), I can say I still love this series.
I still love the characters even though now I see the cliche characterization that is common in Pike books, I still love it. In my mind I also judge it as a book written a long time ago.

I do not like how Pike allowed Tony to get Kipp killed - that was unforgivable.
The Love that broke the chain was very fake - Alison and Tony did not love each other!
Joan's task was way too easy for a column III.

An
Raimy-Rose Lewis
Feb 11, 2017 Raimy-Rose Lewis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tony is the worst character I have ever read, I didn't even want to finish this book simply because of him. I have never been more angry at a book in my entire life.
Earl
Oct 13, 2015 Earl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(The omnibus includes Chain Letter and Chain Letter: The Ancient Evil.)

A group of high school friends start getting chain letters telling each of them to do something that puts their reputations at risk. At first, they think it's a joke because how could anyone besides them know what they did last summer? Then accidents begin to happen when they refuse their tasks. What's asked of them gets bigger and more dangerous. Can they figure out who the mysterious sender is?

It was interesting to read the
Kat
Jan 10, 2011 Kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Teens
Recommended to Kat by: 2
Shelves: owned, horror, teen
I wasn't a huge fan of this one. I liked the first book because of the characters and the overall plot of the book. The one thing I would have changed about it was actually making it "horror". None of the deeds or consequences of not doing the deeds were frightening or really that bad. In this book they change that, but they also bring in this whole backstory to the man they hit in the road in the first book, and bring in satanic cults and weird stuff. Just not my cup of tea, and should have bee ...more
Stacy
Feb 01, 2013 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book picks up a few months after Chain Letter ends. Neil is dead and everyone believes that he was the Caretaker-the evil behind the letters they had all received. The book begins as Fran receives a letter telling her she must drown her new puppy or she will be killed. She ignores the letter and is beheaded. Allison and Tony lose faith in each other and one falls prey to an evil force.

I remember reading the first book, Chain Letter when I was in eighth grade and loving it. Christopher Pike
Crystal Mathews
Sep 07, 2015 Crystal Mathews rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wtf-is-this
This was awful

Literally what the hell?

So the author attempts to turn up the shock factor and use a Satanic cult as a plot twist, but didn't actually research any actual cults. He took a cast of characters and morphed them and the plot into a slut shaming chunk of wasted paper about paranormal cults and demonic witches. Not to mention the disgusting cliche of "my undying love for my hot athletic boyfreind will help me defeat this evil!!1!"

I enjoyed the first book, but if I were you I wouldn'
Alisia
Jun 04, 2014 Alisia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Herrera27812
I think that this was a very good book. It is about how a group of friends are threatened about a chain letter that tells them to do violent and emotional task, or else they will die miserably. The novel is very detailed and suspenseful. The writing is powerful and effective. The only thing that I didn't like was how it had a lot of cursing in it. However it still was a good book. I would recommend this book for adults, but i'm pretty sure that young adults would enjoy this book too.
Katie
Aug 08, 2016 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
All I'm going to say is that this book was disappointing, as was the first book in this series. I couldn't even finish it and I was definitely not impressed with anything about it. The characters were annoying, some were barely mentioned at all, the plot was predictable, and a sequel was really not needed.
Amber Rose (Rose Reviews)
I liked the first book because of the psychological aspect of it. This book was so completely different from the first, and not in a good way. I believe the first book would have been better off as a stand alone novel than adding this one with it. To me, this story just dragged on endlessly, and appeared to be a very amateur writing style.
Amy
Sep 09, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
every now and then you get the idea to read something from your youth. Some of those things need to stay the way they were remembered and not try to re-live the past. I know I loved Christopher Pike as a teen but I can say my tastes in authors & types of books has defintely grown and changed over the years.
Kabuto
Jul 07, 2012 Kabuto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I liked this better than the first one in some ways, but gave it the same rating due to the weird ending which didn't really explain much. However, I actually found this one mildly horrific which was good. The stakes are definitely risen and it's the better for it. Again, typical Pike so read it if you enjoyed the first one
Elizabeth
Oct 24, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book with my best friend in sixth grade. We then used it and the original "Chain Letter" for a book report. I also love stories with large groups of people who one by one get killed off or something horrible happens to them. You never know who is next or who the villain will turn out to be.
Jessica
Quicker paced than the first in the series, but also deeper, with more tragedy and a strong presence of the supernatural. I still enjoyed it though, I think partially because I didn't remember a great amount of it from when I was younger.
Primadonna
This one is rather disappointing. Not as gripping as the first. Intriguing, yes, but the chain of evil and such seems to be annoying. I wish the explanation was simpler, more logical. The bizarre chains of events (ha, pun intended) kind of turn me off. Still, it was a good read.
Twee
Aug 31, 2009 Twee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story continues when a new chain letter is passed around. This time, a new character enters the story and reveals more about the events in the first book. Christopher Pike's style of writing continues to place me on the edge of my seat.
  • Silent Night (Fear Street Super Chiller, #2)
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • The Christmas Killer
  • Prom Dress
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...

Chain Letter (2 books)
  • Chain Letter (Chain Letter #1)

“There's only one sun," Alison said with feeling. "It's always the same, but it's always the best. Do you know what I mean?” 4 likes