Start by marking “Darkest Hour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #2)” as Want to Read:
Darkest Hour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #2)

Darkest Hour (Sergeant Jack Tanner #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  8 reviews
May 1940. Sergeant Jack Tanner has been posted to a training company on the south-east coast of England. But all is not well in the camp. The mysterious death of two Polish refugees leads Tanner to believe there has been foul play. When he and his corporal, Stan Sykes, are nearly killed, Tanner finds his suspicions directed at an old comrade from his early days in the army ...more
Published June 4th 2009 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Darkest Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkest Hour

Graham
May 19, 2014 Graham rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ww2
The second in James Holland's Jack Tanner series, following on from THE ODIN MISSION. This series is best thought of as Sharpe in a WW2 setting, featuring fictional leading characters fighting their way through various theatres in the Second World War. The first novel was about some early action in Norway, and this sequel uses the Dunkirk evacuation as its backdrop.

It's a fun, light and frothy read and, to my mind, an improvement over its predecessor. The reason it works is because the story is
James
I struggled to rate this one, but have finally decided that it deserves a 3.5 Stars as while it was nothing spectacular it was a definite improvement on Odin's mission .

I don't really know how to review this book, as there was no stand out parts - neither good, nor bad. I think that the best and worst that can be said of it is that it is a solid, good read. Apart from that though there was nothing much else to comment on.

The characters were well written I suppose. Jack Tanner was of course
Robin Carter
This is the classic war story brought to the readers of today, for some reason many readers are put off going and picking up some of the classic war stories and thrillers by great writers like Mclean and Higgins, and there has been a sad lacking in the market of new writers until recently.

James Holland brings a classic squaddie hero to the fore, and thrusts him into dark and dangerous situations and brings the war to life in all its dark gory glory, War should be a distasteful tale it should be
Dave Wood
I read the first in this book in this series a while back as well - that's The Odin Mission by James Holland.

The author is trying to create a Sharpe for the WWII era, but in my view doesn't succeed very well.

The books are very well researched and give good background to the war what was happening and the reasons Commanders made decisions.

Unfortunately the characters are very one dimensional - e.g. an evil sergeant major who kills 40 POWs for no real reason.

Having said that the books are quite fun light reads, very like the Bat
Jessica Rickardsson
I really like historical books so a fictional story based on real events really calls to me. I also love a story when small men can be heroes and heroes can behave all but heroic at times. The language is easy but the author manages to fill the story with military terms made easy to understand by the setting.
Huw Rhys
This is a thinly veiled historical account of one Regiment's experience around the Dunkirk evacuation.

Although this "series" is labelled as a "Sharpe for WW2", I find the characters very flimsy, any humour very strained, and the attempts to dramatize the events a little forced and unbelievable. James Delingpole's early attempts at producing a series of character novels based around WW2 events leave James Holland standing, I'm afraid.

Nevertheless, a good historical yarn, and not a complete waste
Vidar
Fair enough but Jack Tanner is a bit too cartoon like for my taste
Gary Stocker
A real page turner. Well researched.
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Andrea San miguel
Andrea San miguel marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
John B
John B marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
El_timonel
El_timonel is currently reading it
May 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
James Holland was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire, and studied history at Durham University. He has worked for several London publishing houses and has also written for a number of national newspapers and magazines. Married with a son, he lives near Salisbury.

More about James Holland...

Sergeant Jack Tanner (5 books)
  • The Odin Mission (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #1)
  • Blood of Honour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #3)
  • Hellfire (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #4)
  • The Devil's Pact (Sergeant Jack Tanner #5)
The Battle of Britain The Odin Mission (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #1) Dam Busters: The True Story of the Legendary Raid on the Ruhr Fortress Malta: An Island Under Siege 1940-43 Blood of Honour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #3)