Start by marking “Darkest Hour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #2)” as Want to Read:
Darkest Hour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #2)

Darkest Hour (Sergeant Jack Tanner #2)

May 1940. Sergeant Jack Tanner has been posted to a training company on the south-east coast of England. But all is not well in the camp. The mysterious death of two Polish refugees leads Tanner to believe there has been foul play. When he and his corporal, Stan Sykes, are nearly killed, Tanner finds his suspicions directed at an old comrade from his early days in the army ...more
Published June 4th 2009 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Darkest Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkest Hour

Graham
May 07, 2014 Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: ww2
The second in James Holland's Jack Tanner series, following on from THE ODIN MISSION. This series is best thought of as Sharpe in a WW2 setting, featuring fictional leading characters fighting their way through various theatres in the Second World War. The first novel was about some early action in Norway, and this sequel uses the Dunkirk evacuation as its backdrop.

It's a fun, light and frothy read and, to my mind, an improvement over its predecessor. The reason it works is because the story is
Mark
Nov 06, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cracking adventure with Sgt Jack Tanner and his lads. James Holland is a great WW2 historian and writes great prose. Not only do you get a fantastic boys-own page-turning adventure but also a history lesson too! Enjoyed this as much as the first, and look forward to Jack Tanner 3: Blood of Honour.
M.J. Webb
Jun 23, 2017 M.J. Webb rated it really liked it
Second in the series. Good read with excellent research and dialogue/narrative. Tanner is very similar to Richard Sharpe but after a break, I think I will read the remaining books.
Smithers
Mar 08, 2017 Smithers rated it it was amazing
Another really enjoyable read that combines fiction and meticulous attention to detail. The novel provided fresh, challenging, insights for me into life on the front line and in some respects brought them more into line with those I had formed with respect to the Great War.

I really hope James decides to write a further series!
James
Aug 19, 2011 James rated it liked it
I struggled to rate this one, but have finally decided that it deserves a 3.5 Stars as while it was nothing spectacular it was a definite improvement on Odin's mission .

I don't really know how to review this book, as there was no stand out parts - neither good, nor bad. I think that the best and worst that can be said of it is that it is a solid, good read. Apart from that though there was nothing much else to comment on.

The characters were well written I suppose. Jack Tanner was of course
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 Robin Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: war-fiction
This is the classic war story brought to the readers of today, for some reason many readers are put off going and picking up some of the classic war stories and thrillers by great writers like Mclean and Higgins, and there has been a sad lacking in the market of new writers until recently.

James Holland brings a classic squaddie hero to the fore, and thrusts him into dark and dangerous situations and brings the war to life in all its dark gory glory, War should be a distasteful tale it should be
Dave Wood
Jul 03, 2011 Dave Wood rated it liked it
I read the first in this book in this series a while back as well - that's The Odin Mission by James Holland.

The author is trying to create a Sharpe for the WWII era, but in my view doesn't succeed very well.

The books are very well researched and give good background to the war what was happening and the reasons Commanders made decisions.

Unfortunately the characters are very one dimensional - e.g. an evil sergeant major who kills 40 POWs for no real reason.

Having said that the books are quite fun light reads, very like the Bat
Wolf Archer
Feb 12, 2016 Wolf Archer rated it it was amazing
It is a gripping story at every turn. Like the Sharpe series Jack Tanner has to have enemies within his own ranks and Holland has done an amazing job of creating such characters and the suspense on every turn of the page was wonderful.
For those who love the historical aspect, you will not be disappointed. The accuracy mixed with a brilliant storyline is spot on.
It is a story I had spent a few years writing with the same idea as following in the footsteps on Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. Wh
Huw Rhys
Aug 19, 2010 Huw Rhys rated it it was ok
This is a thinly veiled historical account of one Regiment's experience around the Dunkirk evacuation.

Although this "series" is labelled as a "Sharpe for WW2", I find the characters very flimsy, any humour very strained, and the attempts to dramatize the events a little forced and unbelievable. James Delingpole's early attempts at producing a series of character novels based around WW2 events leave James Holland standing, I'm afraid.

Nevertheless, a good historical yarn, and not a complete waste
Jessica
Apr 08, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
I really like historical books so a fictional story based on real events really calls to me. I also love a story when small men can be heroes and heroes can behave all but heroic at times. The language is easy but the author manages to fill the story with military terms made easy to understand by the setting.
John Brunlees
Dec 29, 2016 John Brunlees rated it really liked it
Jack Tanner grew on me in the second title of the series. The book really brings to life how horrible war can be. It was a while since I read this but I can still remember the chaotic scenes of the retreat to Dunkirk and how last ditch the final defence must have been. Like WWII you will enjoy this!
Peter Williams
Jun 14, 2016 Peter Williams rated it it was amazing
Great book to read not to difficult or easy just right
Jonas
Jan 14, 2016 Jonas rated it liked it
You get what you pay for. A traditional hero book. Tanner saves the day. Good fun but no literary masterpice
Vidar
Aug 04, 2011 Vidar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair enough but Jack Tanner is a bit too cartoon like for my taste
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Paul Annable
Paul Annable rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Melanie Applegate
Melanie Applegate rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Martin Ahlström
Martin Ahlström rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Rory
Rory rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Alex Kershaw
Alex Kershaw rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Stephen Moody
Stephen Moody rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2017
Simon Tennant
Simon Tennant rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Darren Turner
Darren Turner rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
RobF
RobF rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2017
Natalie Bleau
Natalie Bleau rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Mikko Timonen
Mikko Timonen rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Tretopp
Tretopp rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2014
Alistair Boddy-Evans
Alistair Boddy-Evans rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Hellfire
  • Churchill's Hour (Winston Churchill #3)
  • It Never Snows in September: The German View of Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944
  • Piece of Cake
  • The Pale House (Gregor Reinhardt, #2)
  • Barefoot Soldier
  • Tornado Down
  • Born Fearless: From SAS to Mercenary to Pirate Hunter
  • The Double Tap (Mike Cramer #3)
  • Killing for the Company
  • Empire of Sand
  • Timebomb
  • The Regiment: The Real Story of the SAS
  • Command (Kydd Sea Adventures, #7)
  • Pirate (Stratton, #7)
  • The Best of Our Spies
  • The Infidel
  • The New Enemy (Liam Scott, #3)
James Holland was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire, and studied history at Durham University. He has worked for several London publishing houses and has also written for a number of national newspapers and magazines. Married with a son, he lives near Salisbury.

More about James Holland...

Sergeant Jack Tanner (5 books)
  • The Odin Mission (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #1)
  • Blood of Honour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #3)
  • Hellfire (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #4)
  • The Devil's Pact (Sergeant Jack Tanner #5)