Start by marking “Original Sin (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Original Sin (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)

Original Sin (Seven Deadly Sins #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details ·  1,527 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
Haunted by chilling memories of demonic possession and murder, Moira O'Donnell has spent seven years hunting down her mother, Fiona, whose command of black magic has granted her unprecedented control of the underworld. Now Moira's global search has led her to a small California town that's about to become hell on earth.
Tormented by his own terrifying past and driven by po
Published January 26th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Original Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Original Sin

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

“Victory is sweet, but sweeter when your opponent is butt-ass naked in defeat.”

This unusual Urban Fantasy starts right in the middle of the conflict, and I mean seriously right in the middle. The prologue sets up the story, but it's almost like the first chapter is another prologue in itself. Since it starts with so much already established and in the middle of the action, it feels like a sequel instead of a starter. Strange. People with history are already in town on the eve of fighting and do
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

It’s never a good sign when you start reading a book and seriously think that the printer mixed up the pages, but that was the only conclusion I could come to during the first 60 pages of Original Sin. Come to find out that Allison Brennan actually started this series with a short story DELIVER US FROM EVIL in the 2007 anthology What You Can't See.

If you read this book and find yourself as frustrated with it as I did, consider skipping ahead t
Nurse Lisa in Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
4 demon slaying stars!
Very different story (book 1 in the trilogy) for this author but, WOWSA! Super cool & INNNN- TENSE!
Kelly
Original Sin is a hot mess, and I’m not quite sure where to start.

Allison Brennan may not have known where to start, either. The early chapters jump around in time to a head-spinning degree. There are so many flashbacks to years ago, and references to events of weeks ago, that Original Sin gives the impression of beginning in the wrong place. If the monastery murders and fire are so important, why not put them in the novel? Well, it turns out they occurred in a previously published short story.
Donna
Jan 14, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing

When I first heard about Original Sin by Allison Brennan I was intrigued by it but I wasn't prepared to be blown away. There are two primary things that can keep me glued to a book, one the story revolves around the paranormal and two there is enough mystery to keep me to locked in suspense. Original Sin by Allison Brennan did both. If I could have read this book in one sitting, I would have.

This book had a very different view on witches then what you ordinarily see in Urban Fantasy. There are n

Mizuki
Mar 26, 2016 Mizuki rated it liked it
More of a 2.75 paranormal novel with a bit of romance thrown in. I don't dislike it, I don't love it. The story and the writing is solid enough and the author's ideas about magic, demons and witches are interesting, but the too-dominating good v.s. evil theme, the Christianity mytho and the 'all magic is evil' theme are a bit too tiring to my liking.

As to the characters, the good guys are actually doing okay, they have their own flaws and issues to work on, but they are not useless or stupid. Th
Laura Summers
'Original Sin' is a black and white tale of good versus evil. The main character is Moira, the daughter of Fiona, a dark and powerful black witch. Seven years ago, Moira escaped her mother's evil coven and found sanctuary in The Order of St Michaels, a worldwide group of monasteries dedicated to fighting evil.

Despite escaping, Moira has never found peace. Trained by the monastery to be a warrior, she is a dedicated servant to their fight. The problem is the daughter of a powerful witch, is also
Donna
Apr 15, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural, pnr, angels
I read a review of this book where the reviewer said that it was too religious for her so she had a hard time getting into it. O_o Uh, duh. With a title like Original Sin, part of the Seven Deadly Sins series, it certainly wasn't going to be nondenominational, now was it?

Anyway, have you ever read a book where it feels like you're reading forever and when you go to stop and put the bookmark in, you look at the top of the book to see how much more you have to go before the end and it looks like t
Jan 27, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Last thoughts - Ms. Brennan created quite a stir in me, with Original Sin – rich back story, amazingly strong characters, tons of twists and turns and LOTS of action! I am excited to read the next installment of The Seven Deadly Sins titled, Carnal Sin which is being released June 2010! As well as keep Allison Brennan on my radar, and check out some of her other works! I give Original Sin a 4 mushrooms, if you like fast passed, action, with a paranormal twist – you will LOVE it! I can't wait for ...more
Natalie
Feb 02, 2010 Natalie rated it liked it
Original Sin was one of those books that’s received a lot of mixed reviews. I’ve read reviews raving about it and reviews bashing it, so I was kind of on the fence with my expectations, which is actually where I like to be, because it allows me to make more of my own decisions while reading the book.

I’m going to say outright that I really enjoyed Original Sin, but I can see why some people might have disliked it. The book is heavy in Christian mythology, but it’s by no means Christian fiction or
Keri
At its heart OS is about good vs evil, but it is also about one's will to do something bad or the harder choice to do something good. Moira is now on the hunt for her mother Fiona and they are both powerful witches.

Fiona wants to bring The Seven Sins (fallen angels that make up envy, lust, greed, sloth, pride, gluttony, anger)up from Hell and make them her own pets in order to have all the power on earth in which to rule and reign terror on humans. Moira who has renounced her witchcraft is dete
Lauren
really liked how it was all about the 7 deadly sins. lots of action and kept my attention. really enjoyed it.
MaggieReadsRom
Since the back cover blurb describes efficiently what the book is about I'm not starting with my own plot summary but will dive straight into what my thoughts about this book were.

Before I give my opinion of this book I must sketch a little background of how I came about reading and reviewing it. I have had books by Allison Brennan on my shelves for a few years now. I think since Speak No Evil was released. A fan of romantic suspense/thrillers I glommed her entire backlist up to that
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 08, 2010 Mandi Schreiner rated it really liked it
GUEST REVIEWER TORI

Allison Brennan's newest series-Original Sins deals with the premise that the seven deadly sins are fallen angels/demons that are set to be released on Earth.

Moira O'Donnell is a witch who was conceived and raised with the sole purpose of being a demon mediator (vessel) by her mother Fiona, a powerful witch and coven leader. Moira refused her heritage and escaped with her life barely intact.
She ends up at the Order of St. Michaels under the tutelage of Father Phillip. St Mich
Susi
Jan 25, 2010 Susi rated it it was ok
I received this book as a review copy from Meryl L. Moss Media Relations, Inc. and started it in February. As you can see it took me forever to finish this one. Here are a few reason why I think this is not my kind of book:

1. The beginning of the book confused me. All the background information you get is scattered through the story line and I had problems trying to keep up. It felt like a bit too much from time to time.
2. I don't really like Moira. Always a bad sign for a book. For me it felt
Caitlin Peterson
Feb 10, 2010 Caitlin Peterson rated it really liked it
Wow! Original Sin is an intense read. Allison Brennan created a frightening thrill ride of a story, with never a moment to let us breathe before moving onto the next major event. The whole idea of seven, incredibly evil demons unleashed on the world is scary in itself. Combine that with the also incredibly evil witches/magicians who summoned them.. we have ourselves on whopper of a problem.

The book started off slow for me, honestly. There was a lot of build-up and background, and it wasn't unti
Kristy
Jan 02, 2011 Kristy rated it really liked it
i really liked this book esp the fact that the characters were mostly human(yes some are witches but theyre still human) which is def different from the supernatural books, i usually read. but in saying that this book is untimately about the fight against good and evil, so in turn demons play a major part in this book

i have to say i love moira and rafe!! still a little unsure on anthony but im getting there.:D......selena may surprise me later i think. i think there is more to her character then
Wendy Reilly
Jun 25, 2010 Wendy Reilly rated it really liked it
Original Sin - Original Concept. Well worth reading.
Melissa Wehunt
Original Sin (Seven Deadly Sins) by Allison Brennan (2010)
Krita
Mar 29, 2012 Krita added it
Shelves: abandoned
Didn't like it. Couldn't get into it. The characters were unbelievable and their reactions a bit unrealistic.

Sheila
May 22, 2011 Sheila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really like Allison Brennan but didn't like this one at all. I really like her FBI series though. I guess I just don't like the paranormal stuff.
D.G.
Jun 30, 2010 D.G. marked it as dnf
Shelves: reviewed
Too over the top with the doomsday predictions...
Andrea Hussey
Aug 10, 2015 Andrea Hussey rated it did not like it
Jaret
Jun 26, 2017 Jaret rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-1000
Paranormal romance is not my usual cup of tea, but this one was pretty good for me. I thought it was very well-researched and had a lot of background on witchcraft and magicians. The beginning was rather choppy and almost lost me with the prologue. Also, chapter one starts after some of the action had already happened. Once I was able to figure out what the beginning was all about, I really began to get into the story. I will warn that this is a cliffhanger book. The main action was resolved, bu ...more
Kathy
Oct 20, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Annie
Feb 04, 2010 Annie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
New York Times Bestselling author Allison Brennan dishes up a devilish tale with Original Sin, the first novel in her exciting new Seven Deadly Sins series. With demon-fighting and witch-hunting, this series is being touted as 'the next big thing' in paranormal romance and it certainly does shatter some of the concepts and storylines we've become used to.

For me, this was an enjoyable read and although it didn't quite set the page on fire the way I had originally hoped, there are plenty of reader
Lori
I’m not sure where to start on this review. I had a very difficult time getting through this one. My disclaimer up front, as anyone who reads this blog already knows, is that I’m not a big fan of the paranormal or supernatural. But I was approached to review a copy of this book, and being a huge Allison Brennan fan, I was hopeful that I would enjoy it like I’ve enjoyed paranormals from some of my other favorite authors. I don’t *think* that was the case here.

I expected a paranormal, but I also w
Amber Dawn Meyer
Mar 03, 2017 Amber Dawn Meyer rated it it was ok
DNF - Love Allison Brennan's writing, first time reading one of her Paranormal books. Will not read this genre by her. Will stick to her other great series.
Patti TheLoveJunkee
Feb 08, 2010 Patti TheLoveJunkee rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Original Sin is a bit of a twist on the classic Good vs. Evil theme. Moira O'Donnell is a witch. She was conceived with a specific fate in mind for her. Her mother, Fiona is a witch straight out of a fairy tale- evil to the core. Once Moira was old enough to realize her mother's true purpose, she ran away and vowed to destroy the evil she'd done.

As the book opens, Moira is dreaming about her posession by demons that caused her to kill her boyfriend/lover. As always, after the nightmare comes a h
Katie
Aug 10, 2015 Katie rated it liked it

This was one of my resale novel and I must say that it wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. I happened to notice that there wasn't that many good reviews on this novel and it kind of concerned me. I didn't really want to read a novel that would bore me to death, but to find out I'd have to read it first. I actually rather enjoyed it to be honest. It's not that it's a bad novel it's just a slow novel. It's different in its own way, but it's mainly about demons and religion than about anything
  • Unchained (The Dark Forgotten, #3)
  • Out of Body (Court of Angels, #1)
  • The Soul Collector
  • and Falling, Fly (Harrowing #1)
  • Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • Succubus in the City (Succubus, #1)
  • The Telling (Disharmony, #1)
  • How To Lose a Demon in 10 Days (10 Days, #1)
  • Enemy Lover (L.O.S.T #1)
  • Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4)
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)
  • Assassin's Honor (Order of the Sicari, #1)
  • Nightkeepers (The Nightkeepers, #1)
  • Ghostland (Ghostland World, #1)
  • Blood Rebellion (Blood Destiny, #7)
  • My Immortal (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Allison Brennan believes that life is too short to be bored, so she had five children and writes three books a year.

Allison has penned more than two dozen thrillers and many short stories. RT Book Reviews calls Allison “a master of suspense” and her books “haunting,” “mesmerizing,” “pulse-pounding” and “emotionally complex.” RT also said that "The Lu
More about Allison Brennan...

Seven Deadly Sins (3 books)
  • Carnal Sin (Seven Deadly Sins, #2)
  • Mortal Sin (Seven Deadly Sins, #3)

“Victory is sweet, but sweeter when your opponent is butt-ass naked in defeat.” 12 likes
“You need to have faith and trust, Moira."
"And a little bit of pixie dust?”
7 likes