Dogs and Goddesses

Dogs and Goddesses

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  3,035 ratings  ·  353 reviews
Abby has just arrived in Summerville, Ohio, with her placid Newfoundland, Bowser. She’s reluctantly inherited her grandmother’s coffee shop, but it’s not long before she’s brewing up trouble in the form of magical baked goods and steaming up her life with an exasperating college professor.

And then there’s Daisy, a web code writer, and her hyperactive Jack Russell, Bailey....more
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

Tammy
Snaps to the authors for including a 48-year-old heroine!

Great book. Classic Crusie dialogue. Excellent sexual tension. This book is very funny with a unique plot. A Mesopotamian goddess who has been "asleep" for thousands of years re-appears on a college campus in Ohio and tries to convert followers through a goddess dog training class.

It was a little hard to keep the characters straight at first. (Three talking dogs with three heroines, three heros ((one who is a god))and a creepy villian equ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
I quite enjoyed "Dogs and Goddesses" as a fun read. Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, and Lani Diane Rich wrote this story together and I was impressed at how well it flowed. It's got humor, hot sex, a nasty goddess, talking dogs, and three very different heroines. Once the story got going, it proved hard to put down.

The basic plot is an ancient Mesopotamian goddess is accidentally called back to life. She uses her magic to find the ancestors of her handmaidens and begins her plot to...wait for it....more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
It took me longer than a week to get through this. Granted, I had some other things going on, but I don't remember the last time I took so long to read something.

At times funny and at times choppy. I liked some of the characters and disliked others. Some of the dialog was believable and some just fodder for groans. I guess that is what happens when you have three authors working on the same storyline.

As the story goes, in 1929, an archeologist dug up a Mesopotamian temple and woke up the seven...more
The story of three modern day women who find out quite suddenly that they are demi-goddesses and servents of the Goddess Kammani - and the men that they fall in love with along the way. :)

I liked the book - but honestly I confused Abbey and Daisy all the time - which made me have a hard time keeping there men straight. Maybe this is why I liked Shar so much. She was distinguishable!
Jenny
Tracy
I laughed. Out loud. Often.

I'm sure the book is humorous in print, but as an audiobook it was a hoot. Narrator Renée Raudman's presentation of the characters added immensely to my enjoyment of the book.

The writing was fine. There were a couple of places that it was a bit choppy, but nothing was memorably jarring. I don't know any of the co-authors well enough to know when one stopped and another began, and it wasn't obvious that there were three authors.

There's some graphic(ish) sex, but if that...more
Oh, Jenny Crusie, no!

I couldn't finish this one. I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't get around the ridiculousness of the premise, and I really love fantasy novels so I'm no stranger to ridiculous premises.

(I mean, hell, my favorite moment in the Dresden Files I Harry tear-assing his way around Chicago on the back of a recently revive T-Rex. Tell me that's not ridiculous.)

The other thing I had problem with was the way the individual writers voices' failed to blend in a way that isn't jarr...more
Lightreads
Picked entirely at random out of the selection of available Crusie audio because I needed some soothing book white noise. I was like, "I bet this is a nice modern romance," innocently oblivious of the jacket summary. And it turns out? Actually this is three modern romances, punctuated with a cheerfully batshit plot featuring talking dogs and a lot of unintentionally hilarious sex in which, e.g., a woman yells "I am a goddess!" while coming. To be fair, she was an actual goddess. Didn't make it l...more
Carolyn F.
Okay, first I thought this was an anthology. Nope, 3 authors wrote different parts of the book but I'm not familiar enough with them to figure out who wrote which part. Secondly, I'm very close to being over any stories with goddesses or gods, but surprisingly this book was pretty good. My favorite parts are what the dogs say. Third, I wanted to keep reading this book to the point where I put down an Eileen Wilks to finish it. Eileen Wilks is one of my top favorite authors. So well worth the rea...more
Miriam
Aug 24, 2009 Miriam rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dogs
Shelves: fantasy
Dogs. Magic. Cookies. Coffee. Mythology. All things I love. And yet this book, I did not love it. If it had not had Crusie's name on the cover I wouldn't have bothered to finish it. The plot was incoherent, the characters flat, the mythology undeveloped, and the romance unbelievable. I felt like the pairings occurred because of the magic and will go poof as soon as the Tonic and lust cookies wear off. Well, maybe Shar and Sam can build a relationship based on their mutual love of dogs and 80s fi...more
Cindy
This one goes on the keeper shelf. It is a novel written by three authors - not three separate stories with the same characters as is more usual. And it works. It combines widely disparate elements: a resurrected goddess who digs smiting the populace, misspelled googling, talking dogs and the bonding of best friends - all while trying to save the world and connecting with the guys of their dreams. It was a trip.
Elizabeth
I read this in two days. I love all of Jennifer Crusie's stuff. The writing is great. It's goofy and funny and makes you feel good. I highly recommend all her work.
Stephanie
Well, hot on the heels of the last Little Black Dress book review, here’s another. My only excuse is that I’m a sucker for vibrant covers and the use of photoshop brushes (why yes, I do have another LBD book sitting on my shelf purchased for exactly the same reasons. Shameful, I know).

Dogs and Goddesses initially took me a moment to get my head around. Given the three different authors and a blurb that seemed to refer to three separate although vaguely intertwined stories, I was expecting to sit...more
Heather
If you're going to make up a god, why would you name him Samu? Which is so much like Shamu. He's supposed to be hot stuff, but all I could picture was a killer whale.

And why would you call the magic potion, goddess-power-enhancing-drink, "tonic?" That's like what Aunt Bea gives Opie. The last real life person who took a tonic probably died one hundred years ago. And why would three intelligent women in this skeptical, drug-aware age drink vast quantities of some unidentifiable liquid, called a "...more
drey
Dogs and Goddesses is an entertaining story of three women who find themselves poised to save the world. How, you ask? They don't know...

The story starts with Abby moving into town with her dog, a Newfoundland. She's there to check in on her inheritance, left by her grandmother. As soon as she rolls into town, she's waylaid by an exasperating college professor who demands that she fulfill her grandmother's contract to bake cookies for his math department reception. Daisy is a web programmer with...more
Jaime
This was fun, but don’t start looking at it too closely. One of the things the authors did do right was manage a consistent voice, which couldn’t have been easy with three of them writing it. The different women do have their own sub-voice, but overall the tone was very consistent. Also, the dog sidekicks were rather entertaining, and it wasn’t particularly difficult to tell the difference between them.

The part that doesn’t really hold together is the mythology, from the overall goal of the anci...more
Theryn Fleming
I can't tell the protagonists apart. I can't tell the love interests apart. I can't tell the secondary characters apart. These characters aren't cardboard; they're paper. Paper dolls with interchangeable outfits. (One character is named "Bun." There's no shortage of smart remarks in this book, but no one comments on this. Bun. Seriously.)

We're supposed to believe that these three sets of characters are in love. We know this because they keep saying "I love you/him/her!" Their love is instigated...more
Kath
I will just chalk this one up to being a bad collaboration between the authors. I love Jennifer Crusie's books as they are usually lots of fun and a bit quirky (in a good way), but this one was way out there. One I could not finish as it was just too weird to follow.

It was an okay premise to bring all the people together because of their dogs (dogs are a trademark Crusie thing), but when they got into the whole goddess thing, I couldn't follow the logic and it was just too odd to stay with it....more
Linda
I'll start by saying this book would have fallen into the 3 star rating, but I feel at this time, it deserves 4 stars.
I was looking for levity in a book and found it with this one. Talking dogs, gods and goddesses in Ohio and a little bit of everything else. There were some pretty clever cliches, humorous language and definitely some very sexy, ahem, parts.

Not my typical read, but I really did enjoy it.
Denise
I laughed all of the way through!! I loved the characters, the plot, I enjoyed the way the authors let the reader know both what the characters were saying AND thinking! I loved discovering the different powers with the characters, as they discovered them, along with their personalities & emotions. I could visualize what the story was saying & where it was going as it was going there.

Ana
I couldn't finish this. There was potential escapist fun in the relationship between the three main characters but the vengeful goddess plotline was so ludicrous and unnecessary that I just lost momentum.
Emily
A fun, crazy read that mixes up the lives of a bunch of strangers and dogs and their love lives. The dogs have such great personalities that they almost over shadow the humans!
Anya
Dogs and Goddesses by Jennifer Cruise, Anne Stuart and Lani Diane Rich is the story about three woman, and their awesome dogs, meeting, becoming and battling ancient Mesopotamian goddesses; oh and their dogs start talking :D
When I had a twelve-hour drive I went over to the library and grabbed at any audio-books that looked fun and easy. Dogs and Goddesses looked exactly like the book I was thinking of and it was! If you like audio-books, this is a great one for audio, because dog voices are ado...more
Sheila
Cute, fun, fluffy--a perfect airline read.
Cissa
I liked the premise very much. I also liked the characters, and the dogs.

I'm not going to do a plot summary, except that an ancient Mesopotamian goddess has been revived- because of misspelling on Google, which i think was a brilliant touch!- and is not exactly up-to-date on current society. She drafts heriditary priestesses, most of whom have other plans.

I'm usually not a fan of "chemistry" as a way to determine True Love, but it works well here. The sex scenes are- unusually- very well written...more
Marcia
This was an enjoyable read for me. I had previously read The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes, which Crusie and Stuart co-wrote with Eileen Dreyer, and I found that one to be a big disappointment. As much as I love Crusie and Stuart on their own, that effort just fell flat, and as a result I was reluctant to pick up this one. I was a the library yesterday, though, and saw it on the rack, and I thought, "I could use some good summer reading," so I decided to give it a try. I didn't regret it. I read the...more
Nan
Alert: this is a chick book review. I am pretty sure this won't appeal to male readers. I could be wrong.

"Once upon a time, three writers decided to do a novel about three ordinary women who meet at a dog obedience class and discover they’re descended from ancient Mesopotamian priestesses and are, in fact, the embodiment of Lust, Chaos, and Ecstasy. Oh, and their ancestors served the ancient Mesopotamian Goddess of Life, Kammani Gula, whose sacred animal was the dog. And she’s just risen and ne...more
Mandy
All of Crusie’s collaborations are a little disjointed. This is no exception. It becomes even more disjointed when you have to keep track of a bunch of different point of views and the voices of a billion dogs. Yup, dogs. They talk. A lot. This becomes especially confusing during the action sequences. It’s hard to keep track of which dog is speaking and acting.

But, I still enjoyed the plot. This includes the raising of a Mesopotamian goddess, her attempts at gathering modern day worshipers, and...more
OctoberWoman
When I first picked this book up to read I thought it was going to be three separate stories, one by each of the three authors. I'm a huge fan of Jennifer Crusie and was really looking forward to her story, though I was completely unfamiliar with Stuart and Rich. As it turns out, it's one complete novel, not three separate stories.

The first fifteen or so pages took an eternity for me to get through. So much so, that I set the book aside and didn't pick it back up for several months. But once I...more
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Dead Sexy
  • Cupid Cats (Dark Ones #7.5 (Unleashed))
  • A Very Merry Christmas
  • Do Not Disturb
  • A Little Night Magic
  • Bedtime for Bonsai (Guys & Dogs, #4)
  • Awaken to Pleasure
  • The Royal Mess (Alaskan Royal Family, #3)
  • Wild Jinx (Cajun, #7)
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Confessions Of An Air Hostess (Little Black Dress)
  • Simply Sensual (Simply, #3)
  • Gone With the Nerd (Nerds, #4)
  • F U, Penguin: Telling Cute Animals What's What
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...
Bet Me Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1) Anyone But You Agnes and the Hitman Crazy For You

“And why do you want to be near me?"
Because you're all I can think about, day and night. I don't know what the hell is going on with us; I only know I can't get rid of it. I don't care if you're batshit insane and think you're the reincarnation of Cleopatra. I hear voices; you hear dogs. We'll work it out. Maybe get a discount on therapy.”
26 likes