Start by marking “Dogs and Goddesses” as Want to Read:
Dogs and Goddesses

Dogs and Goddesses

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  3,833 Ratings  ·  418 Reviews
Abby has just arrived in Summerville, Ohio, with her placid Newfoundland, Bowser. She’s reluctantly inherited her grandmother’s coffee shop, but it’s not long before she’s brewing up trouble in the form of magical baked goods and steaming up her life with an exasperating college professor.

And then there’s Daisy, a web code writer, and her hyperactive Jack Russell, Bailey.
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dogs and Goddesses, please sign up.

Michelle Cristiani I'm pretty sure that was Jennifer Crusie - on the back of my book it gives blurbs of each character, and then praise about one author at a time, and…moreI'm pretty sure that was Jennifer Crusie - on the back of my book it gives blurbs of each character, and then praise about one author at a time, and that's the order mine was in.(less)

Tammy
Snaps to the authors for including a 48-year-old heroine!

Great book. Classic Crusie dialogue. Excellent sexual tension. This book is very funny with a unique plot. A Mesopotamian goddess who has been "asleep" for thousands of years re-appears on a college campus in Ohio and tries to convert followers through a goddess dog training class.

It was a little hard to keep the characters straight at first. (Three talking dogs with three heroines, three heros ((one who is a god))and a creepy villian equ
Miriam
Jan 02, 2015 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dogs
Shelves: fantasy
Dogs. Magic. Cookies. Coffee. Mythology. All things I love.

And yet this book, I did not love it. If it had not had Crusie's name on the cover I wouldn't have bothered to finish it. The plot was incoherent, the characters flat, the mythology undeveloped, and the romance unbelievable. I felt like the pairings occurred because of the magic and will go poof as soon as the Tonic and lust cookies wear off. Well, maybe Shar and Sam can build a relationship based on their mutual love of dogs and 80s fi
Julie (jjmachshev)
Feb 08, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
I quite enjoyed "Dogs and Goddesses" as a fun read. Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, and Lani Diane Rich wrote this story together and I was impressed at how well it flowed. It's got humor, hot sex, a nasty goddess, talking dogs, and three very different heroines. Once the story got going, it proved hard to put down.

The basic plot is an ancient Mesopotamian goddess is accidentally called back to life. She uses her magic to find the ancestors of her handmaidens and begins her plot to...wait for it.
Jim
I got a little over halfway through & if the book had been that length, I'd probably have liked it. It's going on & on with a lot of chick stuff, though. Gals that want to read about how gorgeous guys are or how to orgasm from color overload might get a kick out of it. I'm guy - T&A please. So not the book's fault. This isn't unusual for Crusie's stuff, just way longer & more of it than in the other 2 books I read. Agnes and the Hitman may have given me a false idea of her normal ...more
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Oh, Jenny Crusie, no!

I couldn't finish this one. I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't get around the ridiculousness of the premise, and I really love fantasy novels so I'm no stranger to ridiculous premises.

(I mean, hell, my favorite moment in the Dresden Files I Harry tear-assing his way around Chicago on the back of a recently revive T-Rex. Tell me that's not ridiculous.)

The other thing I had problem with was the way the individual writers voices' failed to blend in a way that isn't jarr
The story of three modern day women who find out quite suddenly that they are demi-goddesses and servents of the Goddess Kammani - and the men that they fall in love with along the way. :)

I liked the book - but honestly I confused Abbey and Daisy all the time - which made me have a hard time keeping there men straight. Maybe this is why I liked Shar so much. She was distinguishable!
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
It took me longer than a week to get through this. Granted, I had some other things going on, but I don't remember the last time I took so long to read something.

At times funny and at times choppy. I liked some of the characters and disliked others. Some of the dialog was believable and some just fodder for groans. I guess that is what happens when you have three authors working on the same storyline.

As the story goes, in 1929, an archeologist dug up a Mesopotamian temple and woke up the seven
Theryn Fleming
Jun 29, 2010 Theryn Fleming rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell the protagonists apart. I can't tell the love interests apart. I can't tell the secondary characters apart. These characters aren't cardboard; they're paper. Paper dolls with interchangeable outfits. (One character is named "Bun." There's no shortage of smart remarks in this book, but no one comments on this. Bun. Seriously.)

We're supposed to believe that these three sets of characters are in love. We know this because they keep saying "I love you/him/her!" Their love is instigated
Lightreads
Picked entirely at random out of the selection of available Crusie audio because I needed some soothing book white noise. I was like, "I bet this is a nice modern romance," innocently oblivious of the jacket summary. And it turns out? Actually this is three modern romances, punctuated with a cheerfully batshit plot featuring talking dogs and a lot of unintentionally hilarious sex in which, e.g., a woman yells "I am a goddess!" while coming. To be fair, she was an actual goddess. Didn't make it l ...more
Kathy
Jun 05, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an. . .odd one for me. I had trouble distinguishing between Abigail and Daisy and finally resorted to repeating under my breath "virgin w/ Newfoundland" for Abigail and "clicky pen chick w/Jack Russell terrier" for Daisy. Shar, however, was well-defined with a little more oomph to her characterization. Likewise, I had difficulty with Noah and Christopher and keeping straight which guy was paired with which girl so it ended up like this in my mind: virgin w/Newfoundland dog paired with b ...more
Heather
If you're going to make up a god, why would you name him Samu? Which is so much like Shamu. He's supposed to be hot stuff, but all I could picture was a killer whale.

And why would you call the magic potion, goddess-power-enhancing-drink, "tonic?" That's like what Aunt Bea gives Opie. The last real life person who took a tonic probably died one hundred years ago. And why would three intelligent women in this skeptical, drug-aware age drink vast quantities of some unidentifiable liquid, called a "
Jenny
Tracy
Sep 12, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff, fantasy
I laughed. Out loud. Often.

I'm sure the book is humorous in print, but as an audiobook it was a hoot. Narrator Renée Raudman's presentation of the characters added immensely to my enjoyment of the book.

The writing was fine. There were a couple of places that it was a bit choppy, but nothing was memorably jarring. I don't know any of the co-authors well enough to know when one stopped and another began, and it wasn't obvious that there were three authors.

There's some graphic(ish) sex, but if that
Kath
Sep 27, 2009 Kath rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will just chalk this one up to being a bad collaboration between the authors. I love Jennifer Crusie's books as they are usually lots of fun and a bit quirky (in a good way), but this one was way out there. One I could not finish as it was just too weird to follow.

It was an okay premise to bring all the people together because of their dogs (dogs are a trademark Crusie thing), but when they got into the whole goddess thing, I couldn't follow the logic and it was just too odd to stay with it.
Cindy
Mar 05, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
This one goes on the keeper shelf. It is a novel written by three authors - not three separate stories with the same characters as is more usual. And it works. It combines widely disparate elements: a resurrected goddess who digs smiting the populace, misspelled googling, talking dogs and the bonding of best friends - all while trying to save the world and connecting with the guys of their dreams. It was a trip.
Ana
Apr 29, 2010 Ana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished-books
I couldn't finish this. There was potential escapist fun in the relationship between the three main characters but the vengeful goddess plotline was so ludicrous and unnecessary that I just lost momentum.
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in two days. I love all of Jennifer Crusie's stuff. The writing is great. It's goofy and funny and makes you feel good. I highly recommend all her work.
drey
Sep 04, 2009 drey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 2009-reads
Dogs and Goddesses is an entertaining story of three women who find themselves poised to save the world. How, you ask? They don't know...

The story starts with Abby moving into town with her dog, a Newfoundland. She's there to check in on her inheritance, left by her grandmother. As soon as she rolls into town, she's waylaid by an exasperating college professor who demands that she fulfill her grandmother's contract to bake cookies for his math department reception. Daisy is a web programmer with
Dana
Dec 17, 2013 Dana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge Jennifer Crusie fan...mainly because she is hilarious. This book was a disappointment to me. Definitely my least favorite of her books (Keep in mind that this was a joint effort between Crusie, Anne Stuart and Lani Diane Rich, so Crusie doesn't have to carry the complete weight of the blame. It's just that I'm not familiar with the other authors' work and I expect better from Crusie).

I didn't care for the storyline of this book. It was weird and hard to connect with. I love paranormal
Jaime
This was fun, but don’t start looking at it too closely. One of the things the authors did do right was manage a consistent voice, which couldn’t have been easy with three of them writing it. The different women do have their own sub-voice, but overall the tone was very consistent. Also, the dog sidekicks were rather entertaining, and it wasn’t particularly difficult to tell the difference between them.

The part that doesn’t really hold together is the mythology, from the overall goal of the anci
Jennavier
Sometimes this was good but mostly it was 'meh'. I didn't even love the Crusie parts too much. By the end it had picked up and I enjoyed it but there was a lot of slogging to get there. I can tell you strait up that I'll never read an Ann Stuart book. Her heroine is crazy boring, and I felt the same way about her part in the other group book they wrote.
Carolyn F.
Okay, first I thought this was an anthology. Nope, 3 authors wrote different parts of the book but I'm not familiar enough with them to figure out who wrote which part. Secondly, I'm very close to being over any stories with goddesses or gods, but surprisingly this book was pretty good. My favorite parts are what the dogs say. Third, I wanted to keep reading this book to the point where I put down an Eileen Wilks to finish it. Eileen Wilks is one of my top favorite authors. So well worth the rea ...more
Michelle Cristiani
Let's face it: romances are absurd. In what other genre do you always know the ending before you begin? Think about it!
Like many of us, I've read a lot of romances over the years, and I find myself gravitating to authors and stories that push those boundaries. To be a romance, that inevitability has to be there; but some authors manage subversive plotlines all the same. The only two authors I've read who do this successfully are Anne Stewart and Jennifer Crusie, who happen to be two of the thre
Arely
May 01, 2015 Arely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was recommended to me by a friend, with the quote, “This books is sort of ridiculous but the good kind of ridiculous.” Now, I don’t know if I agree with her statement completely, but I do have to say it is a pretty interesting book. I wouldn’t call it ridiculous, but it’s definitely something I wouldn’t have considered. As you can tell from the title, this book involves both goddesses and dogs. If you were wondering if the dogs talk, yes they do.

This book features the three
Catherine
Review from first reading in 2009:

This book wasn't bad. It wasn't as good as I expected a book from these writers to be, but it wasn't bad. It zipped along merrily like all good frivolous entertainment should, and it had some good comic moments. I liked the characters, even if they were a bit two-dimensional. I read the book in an afternoon, and forewent half of my evening meal because I didn't have time to cook and finish the book before I had to go out. I enjoyed it, especially the second half
Jenni Simon
Dec 11, 2014 Jenni Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I "read" the audio book version of this book and loved it. With the foreign sounding names and little dog voices it really helped to have a narrator. I loved how the book switched between three characters instead of just telling one story at a time. You could easily tell which author was writing and when, but I really think that only enhanced the story and kept it from get boring. My only complaint is that I kept craving cookies while reading this book. I must have gained a pound or two with all ...more
MB (What she read)
Lots of fun! I enjoyed this book--especially the color orgasms. It's actually a 3.5 star for me. (The very best part was the paragraph in the middle of page 207.) This was a much better read (in flow and coherence) than "The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes".

Reread 11/7/15: This book didn't work so well for me on the reread. Full points for creativity, but a definite slog in the middle. I did enjoy Sam, but villains were...silly.
Linda
Feb 28, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start by saying this book would have fallen into the 3 star rating, but I feel at this time, it deserves 4 stars.
I was looking for levity in a book and found it with this one. Talking dogs, gods and goddesses in Ohio and a little bit of everything else. There were some pretty clever cliches, humorous language and definitely some very sexy, ahem, parts.

Not my typical read, but I really did enjoy it.
Dharia Scarab
Oct 05, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected when I picked it up, but surprisingly fun anyways. But I've always been loved mythology.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go
Denise
Mar 31, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highly-recommend
I laughed all of the way through!! I loved the characters, the plot, I enjoyed the way the authors let the reader know both what the characters were saying AND thinking! I loved discovering the different powers with the characters, as they discovered them, along with their personalities & emotions. I could visualize what the story was saying & where it was going as it was going there.

• Ex and the Single Girl
  • The Naughty List
  • Bedtime for Bonsai (Guys & Dogs, #4)
  • Cupid Cats (Dark Ones #7.5)
  • Out of Time
  • A Little Night Magic (Nodaway Falls, #1)
  • Simply Sensual (Simply, #3)
  • The Royal Mess (Alaskan Royal Family, #3)
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • Everything Nice
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • Pink Jinx (Jinx, #1; Cajun, #5)
  • One More Valentine
  • Holiday Flirts! 5 Romantic Short Stories (Flirts! Collection, #3)
  • Bad Boys Down Under
  • The Scot, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #3)
  • Trashed
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...

“And why do you want to be near me?"
Because you're all I can think about, day and night. I don't know what the hell is going on with us; I only know I can't get rid of it. I don't care if you're batshit insane and think you're the reincarnation of Cleopatra. I hear voices; you hear dogs. We'll work it out. Maybe get a discount on therapy.”
29 likes