Start by marking “Unstrung Heroes (Bkpk, Abridged)” as Want to Read:
Unstrung Heroes (Bkpk, Abridged)

Unstrung Heroes (Bkpk, Abridged)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Franz Lidz recalls his unusual childhood spent in the care of his four wildly eccentric uncles. Unstrung Heroes will touch the hearts of millions when it hits the big screen this September. The major motion picture from Hollywood Pictures stars Andie MacDowell, John Turturro and Michael Richards (Kramer on TV's Seinfeld), and is directed by Diane Keaton.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published October 1st 1995 by Publishing Mills (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Unstrung Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unstrung Heroes

Mariel
Sep 11, 2010 Mariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hitler's father
Recommended to Mariel by: all the coffee I could drink for 29 cents
I'm supremely jealous of the life in this book. Not because "it all
worked out", or cutesyness (although the dad's puns are really
freaking awesome. And math jokes!). Sad things happen that would be
sad no matter who you were. The pain of seeing a glimpse into the
fractured view of how crazy you must be to other people. Death.
Trying to do good and regularly scheduled blowing up in your face. I
loved it. I loved that it wasn't sinister, creepy motivations and
hatefulness (I worry about my life and my f
Oblamov Jaysnovich
A small, meaty, funny memoir that is powerful and deeply moving. Like another Franz (Kafka) in his story The Judgement, Lidz sees his father as the source of "my own severe decree against myself." In its vivid evocation of growing up among the looniest of loons, Unstrung Heroes represents Lidz's reintegration with his past. Mr. Lidz deserves to be a national treasure on the basis of this book alone. It traces his youth in New York and Philadelphia, from the death of his mother when he was only 1 ...more
Lizzie
Feb 16, 2009 Lizzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, read-in-2009
I liked this a lot - a memoir of growing up with four crazy uncles, and a difficult father. This covers some of the same material that shows up in Ghosty Men and it has the same affection and curiosity about its subjects. Lidz's uncles are part of his life, but at enough distance to be entertaining, not threatening. At one point the author and his sister stay overnight with two of the uncles in their trash filled apartment, and for the first time are scared of the whole situation instead of seei ...more
David
The movie UNSTRUNG HEROES is my favorite movie and has a lot of personal significance with the mixture of a mother's death, learning to heal with a mentally ill relative, and all within a Jewish family. Finally reading the source material for this movie was very satisfying. The book and movie complement each other. The movie was a condensed version of the book with heart-warming additions to make the plot flow and hit my emotions. While the book described many additional events before and after ...more
Caffers
I wish there was a rating between 'didn't like' and 'liked it'. That's where this would be. I did like it, and there were enjoyable parts, but I just thought it could have been better.
When I find myself looking to see how much is left because I kinda can't wait to be done with it, instead of wishing it would go on and on, I guess that's a clue.
2+ / 3-
residentoddball
I love the story, but was disappointed in the book, mostly because I saw the movie first (I know, you're never supposed to do that). It's been a very long time though since I read it, so I guess I should re-read and give it another chance. The movie is one of my favorites of all time. A wonderful story!
Diane Lybbert
Franz Lidz writes of his very bizarre family - his father and his brothers, each peculiar in different ways, the brothers massive hoarders, the father a pun-crazy scientifically-minded person. At times touching, at times funny, but mostly disturbing and oppressive, I found it difficult to finish this memoir.
Juniar
Nov 04, 2007 Juniar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Life's a mystery and a blessing. You can't say having uncles with troubled minds are a shame. The good thing about being young is that you are still given a lot of chance to think positive and surprise yourself in the future.
Ann
Aug 01, 2007 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comforting to know others have odd relatives too. He doesn't hide the funny parts or the sad, but doesn't make too much of them either.
Kelly
Dec 06, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it
My cover didn't have Andie MacDowell on it, thankfully. I kind of want to see the movie now, though.
Cherri
Jan 07, 2009 Cherri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago when I was pregnant with Dani. True story. Sad and funny.
Marsha
Mar 05, 2013 Marsha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
Not spectacular, but sweet.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Marianne Godfrey
Marianne Godfrey marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Carmaleta Miller
Carmaleta Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Sarah Elizabeth Hall
Sarah Elizabeth Hall marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Michael RUssell
Michael RUssell rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Emily Mulcahy
Emily Mulcahy marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Polly
Polly rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Pippin
Pippin marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Bru
Bru added it
Aug 25, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
James Eckert
James Eckert marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Franz Lidz is an American writer and journalist.
He was a senior writer at Sports Illustrated, a contributing editor at Conde Nast Portfolio, and is a correspondent for Smithsonian,Slate,WSJ.,GQ, Sports Illustrated,The Wall Street Journal,The New York Observer,Men's Journal,AARP the Magazine,Philadelphia Magazine,Golf Digest and has written for the New York Times since 1983, on travel, TV, film and
More about Franz Lidz...