Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice

Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice brings together in a fresh way the ancient wisdom of acupuncture and Taoism with Hindu yoga practices. The Yin aspect of Yoga (using postures that stretch connective tissue) is virtually unknown but vital for a balanced approach to physical and mental health. Paul Grilley outlines how to practice postures in a Yin way. Grilley includes...more
Published May 1st 2002 by White Cloud Press

Max
This book totally cured me of "Not Doing Any Exercise Ever." I have always been drawn to Yoga but I have never wanted to do it in a big room with other people and little mats.
The book has easy to interpret descriptions of a bunch of positions as well as some fairly "non-hippie-dippy" interpretations of what they can do for you. Several pages of coherent "sample routines" put the positions into a sequence that I could easily put into effect.
Now I can do a little work on flexibility and streng...more
Mary Harju
After practicing power vinyasa yoga for years this book came along at just the right time for me. It teaches how and why to sit for a long time in a posture. It's nice to feel the passive work going on as the body lets go of the tension in the connective tissue.
Desiree
This book was an awesome read. I have always liked Yin Yoga, and now I appreciate it even more. This was a quick read that I will come back to over and over. If you are having any joint pain, you should check this out.
Iris
If you're interested in the theory behind Yin yoga then this is a good read for you. It gets into the beliefs and theories which stem from the Chinese "chi" as well as the Indian chakras. It also goes into different key poses and what they are good for and how to do them properly (and for how long).
Cyndee
I've read this book several times and re-read it again today. This is a brilliant practice of stretching the connective tissue, a calm and quiet practice. Very good for folks with connective tissue and joint disorders. A good accompaniment to Viniyoga's yang will make a holistic practice.
Charlane Brady
Brilliant!

I read this one again and I must say the practice of yin postures is changing my life. Physical and emotional wounds are healing. I enjoy my entire yoga practice more. This slow, gentle practice is just what I need to ensure a balance in life.
Heidi
Feb 19, 2008 Heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes yoga or wants to learn about it
I think I really liked this one, cause I love yoga. Yin yoga is a slower yoga where you get to spend more time in each pose. I generally prefer it to the faster yang type. Though they both have their place.
Emily
Oct 04, 2011 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
an interesting idea. clearly written and presented. Yin yoga is quite different from other systems of hatha yoga that I've studied, and while I've tried it I cannot say I have mastered or understood it.
Leticia
Yin yoga is great for stretching the connective tissue. I love a Yin Yoga class on Friday evenings where you can stretch the week right out of you and prepare for a lovely weekend.
Kristen Finnie
Nov 08, 2007 Kristen Finnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yogis
this is a great book that presents an nice alternative to the conventional western hatha yoga mindset.
Edith
Good guide. Solid. Worth the read.
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Mishuang2003
Mishuang2003 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Mamafeelgood
Mamafeelgood marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Yin Yoga: Principles and Practice � 10th Anniversary Edition Yin Yoga Insight Yoga