Start by marking “Redemption” as Want to Read:
Redemption

Redemption (Jane Perry #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  320 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
After the events in Protector (Story Plant mass market, May 2009), Jane Perry has resigned from the Denver Police Department. Trying to make a living as a private investigator, she finds her past haunting her at every turn and her old demons rising up to torment her.

Seeking some level of comfort at an AA meeting, Jane encounters a woman who knows what Jane does for a livin
Published May 26th 2009 by Story Plant, The

To ask other readers questions about Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption

Cheryl
Apr 11, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Jane Perry is trying to bring down the bad guys one at a time and on her terms. When an undercover sting operation goes wrong, Jane finds herself in desperate need of money and fast. So when Katherine “Kit” Clark from Jane’s “AA” meeting group offers to hire Jane to track down a serial killer in California, the offer is too good for Jane to pass up.

Redemption is the second Jane Perry novel. It can be read as a stand alone novel. Right from the beginning, this book did not hold back. J
L.A.
Mar 18, 2011 L.A. rated it it was amazing
Article first published as Book Review: Redemption by Laurel Dewey on Blogcritics.

As Jane Perry’s undercover assignment is blown, she is as angry as hell. Having her bust taken over by the local authorities is like a kick in the pants. Having left a position with the police force and opening her own office as PI, she is very obsessive of her cases. Working with the FBI on this undercover sting was only going to build her business one more step. When she finds out, they have bypassed her and gone
Bernie
May 16, 2013 Bernie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first in this series as a Free Fridays offering from B&N I purchased this book. That in itself speaks volumes about the respect I have for Laurel Dewey, since I have purchased very few books as I use the local library's collection of downloadables and read some of the free offerings from B&N. So take note, authors and B&N, giving away the first in a series does lead to sales. I will soon purchase #3 in the series.

The plot is fairly predictable, but I find the charac
Rachel
Mar 09, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I did not read the first book in the series, Protector, but that did not seem to matter all that much in reading this book. I caught up relatively easily to what the author felt I needed to know about Jane Perry's story so that I could dive into the action-packed, suspense-filled plot of this book.
One of the first things I noticed about the main character of Jane Perry is both her seemingly-abrasive personality, complete with a foul mouth, and her battle with alcoholism. Throughout the book, her
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
Apr 06, 2011 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it really liked it
My first thought, when opening this book, was 'oh boy'. I didn't think that it would hook me like most suspense novels do. But, upon further reading and getting into the story, I was surprised by the pull this thriller had on me as a reader. I'll admit, that there was use of a lot of F bombs that could have been left out, but, in my opinion, sometimes with a thriller, it's what makes the story. It helps to tell the characters true personality and why they are a part of the story. The roller coas ...more
William Bentrim
Redemption by Laurel Dewey

This is a suspenseful private eye novel with a strong female protagonist.

Jane Perry’s tenacity is her greatest strength. I always like a book with a strong female protagonist. Of course in Jane’s case bull headed and stubborn might also apply. Her inability to accept those who want to help her appear to be her biggest fault.

The story bogged down for me when what appeared to be proselytization occurred. The spirituality and mysticism weren’t strong enough to categorize
Darcy Odden
Sep 17, 2009 Darcy Odden rated it it was amazing
In Laurel Dewey's "Redemption," private investigator Jane Perry, a former Denver Police detective, takes a road trip from Denver to California with her client, Kit Clark, in search of Lou Peters, a man Kit says killed her granddaughter many years ago and who Kit believes is responsible for the disappearance of a 12-year-old in California.

Though traveling together, the two don't always work together since Jane is not sure if Kit is seeking revenge for the murder of her granddaughter. And then the
Mareena
Jan 16, 2016 Mareena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mareena by: Tracee at Pump up Your Book
Shelves:
Jane Perry has resigned from the police department and is trying to make a living as a private investigator. However, her past is rising to haunt her. Seeking comfort at an AA meeting, she meets a woman whose granddaughter was murdered many years ago. This woman discovers what Jane does for a living and asks Jane to drive with her from Colorado to California to find her granddaughter's killer whom she's convinced is still murdering people.

Jane is somewhat skeptical when she finds out that the l
Misha
Mar 04, 2011 Misha rated it liked it

*Rating is 3.5, not 3*

Redemption by Laurel Dewey is the second in the Jane Perry series, after Protector. However, I think Redemption can be read and understood without having read the first part, like me. There are some references to the first book but they aren't major or confusing.

Cop turned private investigator, Jane Perry, is an alcoholic. She joins an AA group in hopes of staying sober enough to solve a big case, which however, turns out be a disaster. Jane meets Kit Clark for the first ti
April
Jan 01, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Jane Perry is a hard-nosed, rough around the edges private investigator who has spent the last 6 months getting sober while trying to ignore her tortured past. Kit Clark is a free-spirited follower of new age practices trying to keep history from repeating itself. When these two women come together they clash on every level until they discover their common ground, the one thing they are both seeking; Redemption.

Kit has hired Jane to help find a missing 12-year-old girl who she believes was kidn
Literary
Mar 13, 2011 Literary rated it really liked it
Cover

I think the cover relates well to the book once a reader has read the book. If this is the first Laurel Dewey novel that you have read, like me, you wouldn't know that the blue Ford Mustang is symbolic of Jane Perry on the hunt.

Plot

This novel grabbed your attention from the start and didn't want to let you go. The character interactions were wonderful, the main plot and sub-plots were extremely well thought out and written. This was a mystery/suspense novel that kept you guessing until the
Mary
Sep 24, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: mmm-2012
This is the second book in the Jane Perry series, and I liked it only marginally better than the first one, which is to say not much at all. Although, I was gratified that she had to work a little harder and think a little harder to find the killer in this book. (Spoiler Alert for the first book: how it took her until the last 20+ pages to figure out the real culprit in Protector, I will never understand. It was so obvious that it made me seriously consider if I wanted to read this book.)

The wri
Brenda
Apr 14, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Katherine "Kit" Clark is convinced that the Lou Peters, the man who raped and murdered her granddaughter Ashlee is at it again. When reasonable doubt was proven in the case of Ashlee,Lou is granted a new trial and he was ordered out of prison on bond. Now there is another missing girl and Kit is convinced Lou is the one to blame.
Jane Perry quit the police force to become a private investigator, and things haven't been going so well. While attending an AA meeting she decides to step out for a smo
janean gurski
Not a bad plot but very poorly edited.

The author needs a thesaurus and the help of a good editor .who is proficient in grammar and sentence construction. She had a pretty good story line and characters and even did a good job of motivating the changes in her characters but a lot of the narration was choppy and poorly constructed. The mistakes in grammar and the tense of verbs was annoying and distracting.
Not a book I'd read again or recommend.

Cheryl
Three Reasons Review (borrowed from: jennylovestoread.blogspot.com)

1.) Reasons you chose this book

* I like to read mysteries
* It sounded like an interesting book!

2.) Reasons you liked or disliked this book

* I liked the mystery when certain things kept coming up, like the snake stone and Eagle Road. It seemed like signs were coming up everywhere. I found this very interesting.
* Now I am a Christian, but the religious parts of this book just took away from the story for me. I really found myse
Kim Moyer
Feb 20, 2015 Kim Moyer rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining and fast paced story. I really like that the main character, Jane, is shown to be human. She makes mistakes and (even though she frequently doesn't want or ask for it) the people in her life help pick her back up again. I'll be happily picking up the 3rd book in the series soon.
Mary
Aug 06, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. I had read book 1 awhile ago and enjoyed reading about Jane and her new case. This was a good story, with interesting characters and moved at a good pace.
Dan
Apr 14, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it
Jane Perry quit the police force and is now working as a private detective. But she has to deal with her personal demons which have led her to drink. Outside an AA meeting she meets Kit Clark who is convinced that a man named Lou Peters killed her grandchild and may be involved in the disappearance of another child. Off to California from Denver, Jane has to deal with a crazy cast of characters and a much more in hopes of located and saving this missing girl. This is the second Jane Perry novel ...more
Wendy Cantu
May 30, 2012 Wendy Cantu rated it really liked it
After powering through The Protector, I couldn’t wait to start Redemption.

Since I’m doing my reviews after reading the three books, I have to say, this was probably my least favorite of the three. It took longer to get in to, although once I did I was up until the early hours of the morning finishing it.

The biggest issue I had with this book was the plot. There wasn’t much of a mystery to solve and some parts were a little boring. It was great for character development, but really seemed just
Dave Nichols
A little too much blah, blah, blah. But pretty good anyway.
Ellen Parker
Sep 21, 2011 Ellen Parker rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who want real meat to their stories and love great character development
The second book in the Jane Perry series and it's full of the wonderful, heart tugging and inspiring plot points that you just don't see in your usual mystery/thriller genre reads. Jane is evolving as a person which I think is superb, but she's also dealing with the trauma from her past that she's having a hard time shaking. The title of this book really says it all; everyone in this book is looking for Redemption and they all find it by the end. GREAT READ!!!
Tracy Hensley
Aug 25, 2014 Tracy Hensley rated it liked it
I like the female detective in this series, however, this was very forgetful.
Tracey
Mar 23, 2013 Tracey rated it liked it
Gritty main character is female private investigator. She has recently retired from the police force and is trying to help an older woman prove an ex-con is guilty of a new kidnapping. I really enjoyed this book, as well as Protector, (same author, same gritty main character). I recommend it. However, if you are easily offended by foul language, " gritty" is a euphemism for " swears A LOT." The story is great, though!
Katrinadohn Dohn
Jun 22, 2012 Katrinadohn Dohn rated it really liked it
This author weaves a good, engaging story. While I didn't care for Jane, the main character at first in the first book, she has definitely grown on me. I like how the underlying story in both books is Jane's personal development and working through of issues that make her who she is as she tackles her investigative challenges. I will definitely read the third book in the series!
Old_airman
Mar 07, 2013 Old_airman rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
By the end of this the second book of the series, I have gone from disliking Jane, the main character, to really enjoying watching her develop. In the first book, I disliked so much, I nearly quit reading. Glad I did not. This is a great story with wonderful characters. A lot of cussing and soul searching. A bunch of offending all types of spirituality.
Roger
Nov 13, 2011 Roger rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes murder / mystery
Second book in the Jane Perry series. Laurel Dewey continued her great story telling ability in this follow on from Protector. Many twists and turns keep you turning the pages. As well as coming to a successful ending in this saga, Jane Perry deals with her problems and at last starts to come to terms with them. Thouroughly enjoyable read.
Beth
Dec 31, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
The second in a series about a conflicted police woman and her life outside the force. She has become a PI and while solving cases is also coming to terms with her upbringing and problems.

Good mystery with many twists and turns though the story is mostly about the "maturing" going on in Jane's life.
Shawn
Aug 16, 2011 Shawn rated it it was amazing
Second book I have read by this author. I loved it. Finished it in 2 days. She does an excellent job developing her characters. When a book makes me cry or my heart pound then you know it is good. I really love the edgy and tortured main character. Bought her new short story today. Keep on writing Laurel!
Eddy Gilley
Still a good read, but not as good as her first book in the series. This was just a bit too slow paced and I had pegged the bad buy 2/3 the way thru. Sometimes, this is okay provided there are other surprises and secondary story lines, but not the case in this book.
Colette
Dec 22, 2012 Colette rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-books

I enjoyed this book - lots of twists and turns and "who done its" however, it drug on a little too long for me and is therefore not one of my favorites. Laurel Dewy winds a clever mystery story though and it is a book worth the read!
Madison Mega-Mara...: Redemption 1 2 May 04, 2012 08:11PM
  • Loco Moco (Darby Stansfield, #3)
  • Chill Run
  • Noise
  • The Thing Is
  • Catch Her If You Can (Samantha Spade #3)
  • Ruthless Game (A Captivating Suspense Novel)
  • Highway to Vengeance: A Thomas Highway Novel
  • The Foiled Knight
  • Dark Mind (Emily Stone #3)
  • Black Machetes
  • Chasing Vegas
  • Broken
  • Mystical Circles
  • Spinning
Laurel Dewey’s writing career has been anything but predictable. Born in Glendale, California, Dewey began her career working in public relations. Her writing talents quickly took her into other entertainment avenues. As an assistant editor at BOP Magazine in the late 1980's, Dewey helped launch the blockbuster career of teen pop groups, including The New Kids on The Block. During this time, she w ...more
More about Laurel Dewey...

Jane Perry (3 books)
  • Protector
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)

“Seek contentment rather than happiness. Contentment holds water. Happiness leaks. (Kit Clark in REDEMPTION)” 2 likes