Start by marking “Wheels Of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System (Llewellyn's New Age Series)” as Want to Read:

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,590 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews

As portals between the physical and spiritual planes, the chakras offer unparalleled opportunities for growth, healing, and transformation. Anodea Judith’s classic introduction to the chakra system, which has sold over 200,000 copies, has been completely updated and expanded. It includes revised chapters on relationships, evolution, and healing, and a new section on raisi

Published (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Wheels Of Life, please sign up.

Tiffany Certainly not! Chakras are within every single person, male and female. Even dogs and cats (perhaps other animals too) have chakras! And spirituality…moreCertainly not! Chakras are within every single person, male and female. Even dogs and cats (perhaps other animals too) have chakras! And spirituality is something that everyone can cultivate and nourish. Just like our physical bodies need nourishment from food, so does our souls need nourishment. There are a lot of male teachers that know about this stuff. I'll list a few well-known youtubers; Gregg Braden, David Wilcock, Ryan James Cropper, Koi Fresco, Infinite Waters aka Ralph Smart, and the list goes on... By the way, 'normal' people are going to think we are weird, no matter what we say. Why be bothered? Just embrace your uniqueness. If you came across this book, it's probably because your meant to read it. (less)

kripsoo
Mar 19, 2013 kripsoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book on the Chakra system and to be quite frankly it has been one of those books I always go back to look for references My personal opinion is that Anodea Judith, PhD, has done an excellent book, both for the beginner in working and understanding the Chakras as well as the advanced
Lynn
Jul 05, 2009 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether the chakras are actually real or not, the philosophy behind it all provides an interesting conceptual model for the "energies" of life and how they are balanced and expressed. Not only will you figure out your own chakra system, but the book will give you a whole new (and very enlightening perspective) on your relationships, and in fact, this is the best "relationship" book I've read in years (and is not even its primary objective)! A very fun read!
Anodea Judith
Apr 25, 2012 Anodea Judith added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shonna Hill
Jul 14, 2016 Shonna Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were to recommend one book on the chakras, this would be it. Inspiring, educational, easy to understand. I'm reading it a 2nd time now, slowly. I'd say this book is what lead me to embark on my chakra project in the first place. I especially love how Anodea teaches how the chakras function in our day to day life.
Andrea
May 27, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The "bible" of the chakra system. Everything you ever wanted to know about the chakra system but were afraid to ask :-) Incredibly detailed, comprehensive, thorough, deep, useful, practical, and *interesting*. It's the best!
Kati
Feb 10, 2012 Kati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I bought this originally on the Kindle but I liked it so much that I have ordered a print copy to allow for easier referencing.

If you have never read anything about chakras before, this book is definitely the place to start. It provides you with tons of interesting information and insights about the seven major chakras in an easy-to-read and engaging way. Plus, it also has a couple of chapters exploring the chakra system as a whole (something that most authors don't do), so you get a very holist
Christina
Jun 05, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book about Chakras I have ever read, and I was glad it was written in an easy-to-understand manner. I am impressed with the way the author was able to explain the concept of chakras in a way I could relate to. I didn't get as much out of the final chapters - the part about our entire history being based on Chakras lost me - but I learned a lot.

I'm not sure how much I plan to incorporate chakra healing into my life, but most of the ideas in the book are practical and easy to app
Dmw
Mar 23, 2014 Dmw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love this book! Reading this book will change your life. It has answered so many questions that plagued me for years. The author does such an exceptional job of explaining the chakras and their relevance to life, love, spirituality and growth. The last few chapters she links the creation of earth and humanity to each of the chakras using excellent descriptive examples. I will keep this book close by for the rest of my life as I will need and want to continue to turn to it for referenc ...more
Lesley
Jul 29, 2012 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've already read Eastern Body, Western Mind, this will be review. This one provides a nice overview of the chakra system -- how to imagine the system, what each chakra influences, etc. The other book gets into the psychology of how our unique system gets developed and I think is more interesting... but this would be a good primer.
Stacey (wanderlustforwords67)
Very dense. Reads like an encyclopedia. It has all the info you could ever need or want about Chakras but it could take a lifetime of study to digest and remember all that is in this book. Not a good book for a Chakra beginner.
Katie
Dec 16, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed descriptions of each of the 7 major chakras. Judith gives textbook information that reads like a novel. Also provides exercises and instructions for strengthening and balancing the chakras. Loved it!
Stephanie
Oct 02, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly practical and informative approach to the Chakra System. I keep this on my desk to refer to whenever I have a question regarding the Chakras and the flow of energy in the body.
Tatiana Wild
Jun 02, 2014 Tatiana Wild rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is hands down the best books the chakra system I have read! Lovely to read with a group!
Johanna DeBiase
a classic, comprehensive look at occidental Chakra system
Kim Bushore-maki
Nov 08, 2014 Kim Bushore-maki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer for understanding the chakras
Mary
Dec 21, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite go to references.
Elena
May 05, 2016 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book as suggested reading for a chakra class I was taking and found it fascinating. It's definitely not your quick read but if you are looking for in-depth knowledge about the chakra system, this is most definitely it. It reads almost like a science book. Honestly, I didn't read the last 1 or 2 chapters because it was kind of information overload for me at that time but I kept it with plans to look at it again in the future when I am more familiar with the topic.
Jessica Berg
Jun 27, 2016 Jessica Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I decided to get the audio book version for my 30 minute drive to work. I wish I would've gotten the actual book. I really enjoyed the content but the exercises would've been better for me if I was able to do them later when I got home. Very informative and used real-life stories and situations to relate the content to our lives. I LOVED the science that backed up the information, you don't see that in most books anymore! All in all a great read, once again I wish I had a paperback copy.
Henk
Jul 30, 2014 Henk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manuals, new-tech
Splendid book on the chakras. While books can only take one that far, and experience is the ultimate teacher, this book could guide the dedicated student to begin to have such experiences. I am not a fan of expecting mental understanding to yield spiritual insight -I regard them as anathema, understanding the value and benefit of working with energy may however motivate readers to take the next steps in verbs as opposed to cognitating over it.
Kelli
An excellent overview and exploration of the chakra system. Contextualises the ancient teachings for today's reader and makes practical sense of a wealth of conflicting information. Highly recommended if you are interesting in learning more about your 'energetic' body and how to balance your life.
Debra Brunk
Nov 24, 2013 Debra Brunk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for someone just getting into the concept of chakras. The author does a good job explaining what chakras are (and are not). However, if you're looking for something more in-depth, this book is not for you. The author states that she addresses the chakras from both a scientific and an experiential point of view; however, I found the scientific discussions decidedly lacking - and the experiential discussions also seemed a bit shallow. When I decided to read this book I was look ...more
Hrönn
Sep 23, 2014 Hrönn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book on the Chakra system and to be quite frankly it in one of those books I always go back to look for references My personal opinion is that Anodea Judith, PhD, has done an excellent book, both for the beginner in working and understanding the Chakras as well as the advanced.
Each chapter is dedicated to a particular Chakra You will learn, the Sanskrit name to each Chakra, it's meaning, location, Element, Function, Inner State, Outer State, Body Parts, color, Mantra sound, Hin
Jennifer Hamilton
Absolutely the best comprehensive book on the chakras. I love that there are physical exercises, meditations, and thorough thoughts on each chakra which allows for a holistic understanding of this intangible topic. Highly recommend :)
Mark Johnson
Dec 18, 2014 Mark Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good, reading the preface primed me for the material pretty well. It's a nice perspective on the New Age version of chakras. Keeping in mind what it is and what it isn't helps if you're of a particularly skeptical mindset.
Deidra
Jul 31, 2016 Deidra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really resonates with me. Judith really presents the material in a straightforward way that just makes sense. I had so many "lightbulb" moments while reading this book. I highlighted many passages and re-read various sections multiple times. I already know I will be referring back to this book often.
Judith Jnclaude
Jun 30, 2016 Judith Jnclaude rated it it was amazing
Amazing read

Learn a lot from this book. I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to anyone who want to learn more about chakras.
Kirsty Kianifard
This is my chakra bible. I recommend it to all my clients and may need to buy another copy as mine has gotten so worn out! Love, love, love this book!!
Shana
Jun 18, 2016 Shana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource to learn about the chakra system. I definitely recommend it as a great starting point!
Fusun Dulger charles
I am a Yoga teacher and work with the Chakras. It is THE book on Chakras and Chakras education.
Nariman Nasrollahzadeh
  • Energy Medicine: Use Your Body's Energies
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • The Chakra Bible: The Definitive Guide to Working with Chakras
  • Wheels of Light: Chakras, Auras, and the Healing Energy of the Body
  • Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Love is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals - The Reference Book Describing the Metaphysical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom
  • The Book of Stones: Who They Are & What They Teach
  • Magick of Reiki: Focused Energy for Healing, Ritual, & Spiritual Development
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Hands Of Light
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
  • Healing Mantras: Using Sound Affirmations for Personal Power, Creativity, and Healing (Book & CD)
Anodea Judith, Ph.D. is the founder and director of Sacred Centers, and a groundbreaking thinker, writer, therapist, and spiritual teacher. Her passion for the realization of human potential matches her concern for humanity’s impending crises — her fervent wish is that we “wake up in time.” She holds Masters and Doctoral degrees in Psychology and Human Health, is a 500 hour registered yoga teacher ...more
More about Anodea Judith...

“Instead, will is the realization that we can regard each challenge as an opportunity to awaken to our highest potential. This does not deny what has come before, but incorporates it, using it as a springboard for the future. While we can’t always control what happens to us, we can control what we do about it.” 2 likes
“Tantric scholars and Kundalini gurus often draw a distinction between the chakras as witnessed through Kundalini experiences and the Westernized model of the chakras as a "personal growth system." Some claim that this distinction is so great that there is no meaningful relationship between the two...yet I do not see these experiences as unrelated, but existing on a continuum.

I firmly believe that clearing the chakras through understanding their nature, practicing related exercises and using visualization and meditation, prepares the way for a spiritual opening that is apt to be less tumultuous than is so often the case for Kundalini awakenings. I believe this Westernization is an important step for speaking to the Western mind in a way that is harmonious with the circumstances in which we live, rather than antithetical to it. It gives us a context in which these experiences can occur.

Likewise, there are many who say that the chakras, as vortices in the subtle body, have nothing whatsoever to do with the physical body or the central nerve ganglia emanating from teh spinal column, and that a spiritual awakening is not a somatic experience. Because an experience is not *entirely* somatic does not mean that its somatic aspect is negated.... I believe this view is just more evidence of the divorce between spirit and body that I find to be the primary illusion from which we must awaken.”
1 likes