Wheels Of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System (Llewellyn's New Age Series)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,362 ratings  ·  55 reviews
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE CHAKRA SYSTEM?

Many people focus on a single chakra - like the Crown Chakra for Spirituality, the Brow Chakra for Psychic Powers, the Heart Chakra for Universal Love, the Solar Plexus for Power (especially for those into the martial arts) and so on - each chakra's special attribute. And some people try to repress the 'lower' chakras as morally ba

Published (first published January 1st 1987)

kripsoo
This was my first book on the Chakra system and to be quite frankly it has been one of those books I always go back to look for references My personal opinion is that Anodea Judith, PhD, has done an excellent book, both for the beginner in working and understanding the Chakras as well as the advanced
Each chapter is dedicated to a particular Chakra You will learn, the Sanskrit name to each Chakra, it's meaning, location, Element, Function, Inner State, Outer State, Body Parts, color, Mantra sound...more
Lynn
Whether the chakras are actually real or not, the philosophy behind it all provides an interesting conceptual model for the "energies" of life and how they are balanced and expressed. Not only will you figure out your own chakra system, but the book will give you a whole new (and very enlightening perspective) on your relationships, and in fact, this is the best "relationship" book I've read in years (and is not even its primary objective)! A very fun read!
Katie
Very detailed descriptions of each of the 7 major chakras. Judith gives textbook information that reads like a novel. Also provides exercises and instructions for strengthening and balancing the chakras. Loved it!
Anodea Judith
Apr 25, 2012 Anodea Judith added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Kati
I bought this originally on the Kindle but I liked it so much that I have ordered a print copy to allow for easier referencing.

If you have never read anything about chakras before, this book is definitely the place to start. It provides you with tons of interesting information and insights about the seven major chakras in an easy-to-read and engaging way. Plus, it also has a couple of chapters exploring the chakra system as a whole (something that most authors don't do), so you get a very holist...more
Shonna Hill
If I were to recommend one book on the chakras, this would be it. Inspiring, educational, easy to understand. I'm reading it a 2nd time now, slowly. I'd say this book is what lead me to embark on my chakra project in the first place. I especially love how Anodea teaches how the chakras function in our day to day life.
Debra Brunk
This is a good book for someone just getting into the concept of chakras. The author does a good job explaining what chakras are (and are not). However, if you're looking for something more in-depth, this book is not for you. The author states that she addresses the chakras from both a scientific and an experiential point of view; however, I found the scientific discussions decidedly lacking - and the experiential discussions also seemed a bit shallow. When I decided to read this book I was look...more
Fusun Dulger charles
I am a Yoga teacher and work with the Chakras. It is THE book on Chakras and Chakras education.
Christina
This is the first book about Chakras I have ever read, and I was glad it was written in an easy-to-understand manner. I am impressed with the way the author was able to explain the concept of chakras in a way I could relate to. I didn't get as much out of the final chapters - the part about our entire history being based on Chakras lost me - but I learned a lot.

I'm not sure how much I plan to incorporate chakra healing into my life, but most of the ideas in the book are practical and easy to app...more
Dmw
Absolutely love this book! Reading this book will change your life. It has answered so many questions that plagued me for years. The author does such an exceptional job of explaining the chakras and their relevance to life, love, spirituality and growth. The last few chapters she links the creation of earth and humanity to each of the chakras using excellent descriptive examples. I will keep this book close by for the rest of my life as I will need and want to continue to turn to it for referenc...more
Bill Palmer
I am using this excellent, informative, and well-written book as a reference which I go back to time and again since beginning my spiritual practices in 1994. The explanations about chakra energy, how it manifests, and how to enhance its flow through your chakra system, are all important parts of this book that I have kept within reach on my bookshelf.
Judith
This book gives a very nice insight into chakras and provides many exercises to open your chakras. Some ideas about memory working as holograms in the brain were particularly interesting. Some extra information has been added about chakras in a child's development and in magic, but this is very brief. We are directed to another book about chakras by this author if we wich to know more.
Very nice book as an introduction to working with chakras.
Diane
Great reference book on the Chakra system
Marjorie Brewer
This book helped see me through a lot of tough times. Interesting adaptation of Eastern Philosophy described in Western terms and could be helpful in a High School classroom.
Lesley
If you've already read Eastern Body, Western Mind, this will be review. This one provides a nice overview of the chakra system -- how to imagine the system, what each chakra influences, etc. The other book gets into the psychology of how our unique system gets developed and I think is more interesting... but this would be a good primer.
Elena
A detailed, but easy to read book about chakras. I think it was the best explanation I have ever got upon this subject. It is easy to see the big pictures, loved the chakra stages that humanity goes through.... The yoga asanas and meditations are a bonus. Loved it.
Fourthemodicas
Very dense. Reads like an encyclopedia. It has all the info you could ever need or want about Chakras but it could take a lifetime of study to digest and remember all that is in this book. Not a good book for a Chakra beginner.
Andrea
The "bible" of the chakra system. Everything you ever wanted to know about the chakra system but were afraid to ask :-) Incredibly detailed, comprehensive, thorough, deep, useful, practical, and *interesting*. It's the best!
Stephanie
An incredibly practical and informative approach to the Chakra System. I keep this on my desk to refer to whenever I have a question regarding the Chakras and the flow of energy in the body.
Amber
I really enjoyed this book and its exploration of the Chakras. I use the meditations often in my classes and when I feel like I am spiraling out in places where I should be focused.
Leba
Nov 01, 2007 Leba rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Yogis
Great descriptions of how each chakra connects to different aspects of ones life and personality
how to get the most with yoga movements to better align ones chakras and remove blockages.
Amhc
Read this while in massage school. Not alot of practical use for massage but if energy work is your thing you will find it valuable if a tad heavy on reading too much into psychology.
Sandip
Very useful & informative entry-level guide to the chakras, including physical exercises one can do to help 'open' certain chakras, and lots of interesting info in general.
Belinda Aquilina
An amazing book that took me on a journey to find myself and change my life forever. It is not just a book to read, its an education on the body and emotions that go with it.
Amy
I received this book years ago and finally got around to reading it for a yoga series I was teaching. Very comprehensive with information, but a bit too technical at points.
Marie Z. Johansen
If you have ever wondered what in the heck chackras are - this is the book for you.This is one of those book that you will re-read portions of for quite some time.
Liz
Most people I know who know about chakras have not heard about this author, but this woman rocks the chakras! She is an expert and wonderful for a novice, too.
Terry
Super comprehensive and clear book on the seven chakras. I read it for my yoga teacher training and will probably read it again and reference it frequently.
Desiree
Well i've had this for years and use it more like a text book. So, it hasn't been read cover to cover but I'm taking off the shelf and giving it another study.
  • Energy Medicine: Use Your Body's Energies
  • Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Love is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals - The Reference Book Describing the Metaphysical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Hands Of Light
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • The Chakra Bible: The Definitive Guide to Chakra Energy
  • Personal Power through Awareness: A Guidebook for Sensitive People
  • The Book of Stones: Who They Are & What They Teach
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
Anodea Judith, Ph.D. is the founder and director of Sacred Centers, and a groundbreaking thinker, writer, therapist, and spiritual teacher. Her passion for the realization of human potential matches her concern for humanity’s impending crises — her fervent wish is that we “wake up in time.” She holds Masters and Doctoral degrees in Psychology and Human Health, is a 500 hour registered yoga teacher...more
More about Anodea Judith...
Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System As a Path to the Self The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras Chakra Balancing: A Guide to Healing and Awakening Your Energy Body [With Cards and Workbook and 2 CDs] The Global Heart Awakens: Humanity's Rite of Passage from the Love of Power to the Power of Love The Chakra System