Start by marking “The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)

The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  19,424 ratings  ·  819 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Lisa Gardner's Love You More and fromthe network that brought you Mad Men, and The Walking Dead, comes an addictive crime thriller with crushing twists. Get an exclusive peek at the script for The Killing, AMC’s newest original series, which tracks the murder of a Seattle teenager and the gripping investigation it sparks. April ...more
Published September 2004 (first published December 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Husband, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sharon
Tess Williams thought she was marrying the man of her dreams. Jim Beckett a police officer who did he's job well and was well thought of by his colleagues. Tess believed he was a loving and caring person unlike her father who was an abusive man. Being a young bride at the age of eighteen, Tess was eager to please her husband. It was only a couple of weeks after they'd been married that Tess noticed her husband change. He no longer was the sweet loving man that she'd first met. If things around t ...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 4 Creme Filled Donuts
*Genre* Mystery/Thriller/Romance

*Review*

The Perfect Husband is the first book in what is supposed to be the Quincy/Raine series by Lisa Gardner. FBI profiler Pierce Quincy does play a small part in this series, but it is Theresa (Tess) Williams and J.T. Dillon that the storyline follow throughout the book.

The Perfect Husband is an intense drama with a sick, evil, twisted, and sadistic serial killer named Jim Beckett. Beckett, was once a cop, decides that he needs t
Karly *The Vampire Ninja*
This Review reminded me of this book's existence!

I read this book two times, my best friend says I'm disturbed for this, and thought it was wonderful both times.

I haven't read it in a few years now so my feelings are not as crystal clear and precise as they would be were they all fresh and new, so bear with me!

Tess had the perfect life: She was young, in love and married to one of the handsomest men she had ever seen.... what more could a woman want?!

Life isn't as fucking perfect as all this
Oriboaz
Disclaimer: This is the second Lisa Gardner book I have read. The previous book of hers I've read was written much later, and I enjoyed that book. This review is about this book only, not about Gardner's ability as a writer.

Unfortunately, I can't say that I liked or enjoyed this book much. The premise, a woman on the run from an insane serial killer, sounded intriguing, but the execution wasn't good.

Usually in a mystery, there is a puzzle, something unknown (such as the identity of the killer)
Crista
This is my first shot at a "suspense/thriller" novel. I am a sucker for romance and also for serial killers...strange but true. My ideal movie night would be "Pretty Woman" followed by "Silence of the Lambs". This little ideosincrasy of mine set me up perfectly to love this book....only I really didn't. Here's why....

1. Tess has been through hell. An physically abusive father and an emotionally abusive and controlling psychopath for a husband. Why couldn't this author have made J.T. Dillon a "h
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Is this supposed to be a suspense thriller? Okay. Technically it was. But for me it was an awesome romance story and a female empowerment story to boot. Loved JT and Tess. Loved them together. I loved how Tess went from mild and meek to kickbutt heroine. Did not love psychopathic ex-husband. But it was worth reading for the fantastic love story (okay I guess I missed the point of this book, didn't I?).
Jill Manske
Well, if this had been my first Lisa Gardner book, I guarantee it would have been my last. It fulfilled my worst suspicions about a much more recent book, which actually was pretty good. But this one - groan! It's basically a romance novel with a thin veneer of murder mystery/thriller. If you like Mary Higgins Clark, this is the book for you. If you're a fan of more recent Gardner books, don't read this one! The plot is weak, the characters are shallow and predictable, the dialog is trite, and t ...more
Naomi
Holy CRAP! Pretty much my thoughts as I read this book. It spooked the hell out of me. I liked it...but really had to sleep with the lights on afterward. Yes I am a bit of a chicken but yeah good book, I thought the story behind it was very creepy but it held my attention like no other. I had to keep going to find out what would happen next scared or not! If you like a good suspenseful book with psychos and ghosts and all things just creepy this is it!
Anna
A true thiller....just when you think you have it figured out....wham! I love her books for great suspense and awesome stories. The twists are crazy! I can usually figure out suspense novels pretty quickly...but hers -- not so much. Love it.
Michael
Tess is a woman on the edge. Having put away in prison her abusive husband Jim who had killed 10 women she was now faced with the knowledge he had escaped and was looking for her. With her daughter Samantha in a safe house Tess convinced the police will not be the best option for protection goes to ex marine J.T. to help her face her fears by teaching her how to defend herself.

J.T. has demons of his own to contend with with the death of his abusive father and the denial from his little sis Mario
Sercan Çelik
Epsilon bi daha Lisa Gardner çıkarmasın lütfen güzelim kitabı zar zor okudum ayrıca o kağıt baskısı nedir ya samandan sanki..
Gwynne Andal
Another favorite from Lisa Gardner. It was perfect because the characters were so complicated and bears emotional scars that made them more important or vital to this book. It was fast-paced and in a sense just a simple chase story. The characters were really the gem of this novel.

I love how Tess was the typical victim, meaning that her past made her the perfect bride for a psychopath like Jim. Abused emotionally and physically, she wanted to love and be loved. Typical? Yes, but the difference
Cata
4,5 estrelas

Minha até à Morte é o primeiro livro que leio de Lisa Gardner. Ouvi falar desta autora e fiquei curiosa. Depois encontrei por acaso este livro na biblioteca e a sinopse deixou-me obcecada. Tinha de o trazer, tinha de o ler!

Originalmente pensei que se tratasse de um Thriller, baseado no casamento de Jim e Tess Becket, na descoberta do verdadeiro carácter do marido, do papel de Tess na sua captura e depois da fuga deste da cadeia e subsequente medo que Tess sentiria por saber que o ex-
Jen
This was one of the first books that Gardner wrote... she has definately become a much better writer. I have loved the other books by her (alone, gone, killing hour), but i really didn't like this one.

The story line is very unrealistic and the characters are not likable.

The story centers around "tess" Her husband, is a psychopath who kills many people, he gets arrested, breaks out of prison, and comes back for her and her daughter.

That plot sounds great, but the storyline was very bad.

Tess goes
Jonetta
Tess Williams, after a dismal childhood, found herself married to the "perfect husband" who turned out to be her biggest nightmare. After discovering he was responsible for the murder of at least ten women, Tess helped in his capture. Now he's escaped from prison and she knows his ultimate goal is to find her and her daughter and kill her. She decides to go on her own and prepare herself physically and mentally for the inevitable confrontation by hiring a mercenary to train her. J. T. Dillon is ...more
Brenda
Nov 09, 2011 Brenda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense thriller lovers
What an unbelievably powerful, nerve wracking and thrilling suspense novel!

Tess married the man of her dreams. He was good, kind and loving, and that meant so much to her after the abuse of her father. But within weeks of their marriage, things began to change, subtly, but scarily! She could never do anything right, and if the dinner wasn't on the table at exactly the minute he wanted, she was beaten. If the bathroom wasn't cleaned to his specifications, she was beaten. She was an 18 year old ne
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
A Lisa Gardner tale is always worth the all-nighter I pull to finish the book! Gardner knows how suspense works-taut pacing makes a thriller. Titled the PERFECT HUSBAND because Jim Beckett thinks he is. As a handsome charming Police Officer, Theresa (Tess) can't believe he's interested in her. For years, she lives with an abusive father and unwitting leaps into the marriage bed of the worst sociopath, she can imagine. Jim swore he'd kill his 'perfect wife' for helping the police putting him, Jim ...more
Carol
Going to make this quick! I grabbed this to read on the plane on my trip to Booktopia Bellingham as I wanted a book that was "light". It was certainly light in regards to weight but not "light" reading in the typical sense.

I don't know if I've read any other Gardner books but found both the violence and sex more graphic than I was expecting. This is a comment, not a criticism.

Good edge of your seat thriller, with great character development and a plot about domestic violence and control that i
✼Danielle✼
J.T. and Tess

Read May 2014
I enjoyed THE PERFECT HUSBAND, but didn't love. The suspense was done better than the romance. I didn't really connect to J.T. and Tess being together. Their interaction wasn't the best. I did like the suspense storyline. The villain was pretty terrible. I will continue with series ~~ ★★★½
Debbie
This is one of her earlier books I decided to read after reading her current bestseller, 'The Neighbor'. Unfortunately, it's a very graphic depiction of one of the sickest serial killers I've ever come across. I don't like serial killer books, and I saw her repeating themes here that were in The Neighbor (every kind of child and spousal abuse imaginable) so I won't be drinking from this well again any time too soon.
Paula
Very disappointing book. This is because the book tends to focus more on J.T., the mercenary who Tess goes to for self-defense training, than it does on Tess and her recently escaped serial killer ex-husband.

J.T. is crude, rude, and a very unlikable character. He’s tortured by his past and full of self-pity and he’s constantly thinking of - his abusive father, the colonel - his sister Marion, who he feels he didn’t protect from the colonel - his dead wife and kid. When he’s not thinking about th
Elizabeth
I really struggled to finish this. I would have put it down but I am not one to start a book and not finish it. I'm not sure that I will buy any more of her books new. I guess I was just disappointed with it.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I read these as a teenager and remember i loved it but don't remember a thing about it lol
Kat
Adrienne Campbell
Lisa Gardner always leaves me wanting more. The book ends and I'm disappointed because I "know" her characters and I want to keep reading about them.

"The Perfect Husband" is loaded with suspense. It revolves around the life of Theresa "Tess" Beckett. A beautiful young wife and mother living in absolute terror of her husband and police officer Jim Beckett - a sadistic serial killer of young beautiful blonde women.

He is captured with the help of Tess and he vows from the prison that he will kill
Britney
What would you do if the man of your dreams hides the soul of a killer?

Jim Beckett was everything she'd ever dreamed of...But two years after Tess married the decorated cop and bore his child, she helped put him behind bars for savagely murdering ten women. Even locked up in a maximum security prison, he vowed he would come after her and make her pay. Now the cunning killer has escaped—and the most dangerous game of all begins....

After a lifetime of fear, Tess will do something she's never done
Jess
I'm finding it hard to rate this one, so I guess I will go with explaining what I liked and what I didn't like.

Pros
- Jim Beckett's character was unbelievably creepy and sadistic. This made for great reading as he was unpredictable and I was really rooting for him to be caught

-The storyline overall was very suspenseful and although I had an idea of what may happen I wasn't entirely certain.

-I liked Tess's character. She was strong and was trying to help herself and her child get a better life. Sh
HÜLYA
Mükemmel Koca Lisa Gardner adı gibi mükemmel bir kitap idi...

Orjinal adı The Perfect Husband olan Mükemmel Koca'nın Goodreads puanı 5/3,98 benim puanım 5/5 ..Yazarın diğer kitaplarini da en kısa zamanda okumayı planlıyorum. Harika bir romantik polisiye gerilimdi. Hikayede her şey vardı. Kapaktan ceviri ve edite kadar dört dörtlük bir kitaptı.Sayfaları nasıl çevirdiğimi fark etmedim..

Kocanız hasta ruhlu olsa ne yapardınız? Babasının zulmünden kurtulmak icin genc yasta evlenen Tess'in hayatı cok
Katie
This was my first foray into romantic suspense, and even though the romance wasn't quite to my taste, this still made for an entertaining and very fast read that would appeal to both romance fans (provided they don't mind a heavy dose of violence, sex, and language), and suspense fans (provided they don't mind the romance angle).

The story centers around Tess, who marries a charming police officer named Jim Beckett. Two years into the marriage, however, Tess discovers that Jim is a sadistic seria
Sara
I read The Perfect Husband because it's apparently first in a series in which I want to read the last book. From what I gather, I really doubt that I actually *have* to read them all, but I'm anal retentive like that, and TPH wasn't impossible to get through. It actually turns out that I'd read this book a few years ago. It's not bad at all, but I think it would have been better as a straight up crime novel without the romantic elements, which felt contrived and a little too Harlequinn/borderlin ...more
  • Hot Blooded (New Orleans #1)
  • Speak No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • All Fall Down
  • Broken (Will Trent, #4)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6)
  • All The Pretty Girls
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake #2)
  • The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
(1) mystery & thrillers, suspense

aka Alicia Scott

New York Times bestselling crime novelist Lisa Gardner began her career in food service, but after catching her hair on fire numerous times, she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in po
More about Lisa Gardner...
Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1) Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5) Love You More (Detective D.D. Warren, #5) (Tessa Leoni, #1) The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2) Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)

“You swim and you keep swimming without a thought in your head because that’s what you have to do. And you do the push-ups and you jog and you do all the things beyond exhaustion because you have to. Then one day you’ll discover you’re in the zone and you don’t feel your legs anymore, you don’t feel your arms anymore. You exist just as motion. That’s the zone. Then you can do anything.” 3 likes