Start by marking “One Red Apple” as Want to Read:
One Red Apple

One Red Apple

Follow the life cycle of an apple: from fruit growing on the tree to market, to picnic, to seed, to sapling and tree, and finally to a new apple. This simple, joyful book with radiant illustrations introduces readers to the amazing and delectable way the earth provides food.
Published July 29th 2009 by Blue Apple Books (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about One Red Apple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Red Apple

Apples and Pumpkins by Anne F. RockwellFrom Apple Trees to Cider, Please! by Felicia Sanzari CherneskyThe Apple Pie Tree by Zoe HallApples A to Z by Margaret McNamaraThe Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons
Picture Books about Apples
7th out of 28 books — 3 voters
Frédéric by Leo LionniRaccoons and Ripe Corn by Jim ArnoskyWe Gather Together by Wendy PfefferAutumn Story by Jill BarklemThe Apple Pie That Papa Baked by Lauren Thompson
Harvest Time
7th out of 31 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Mar 24, 2013 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
The illustrations really make this book, but the accompanying story is informative and interesting too, though very sparse. The story is simple enough for beginning readers (despite the atypically shaped letters) and would make a fabulous read aloud book one to one or for groups.

I love this illustrator. The pictures look like folk art, which I greatly appreciate. They’re gorgeous. Most of them I’d be happy to have on my walls; they’re that appealing. Prints would make fine decorations for childr
Kathryn
Nov 06, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved everything about this book from the front cover to the back cover and everything in between. I live in apple country and I think apples represent so much to all of us. The illustrations we sharp and colorful, some of the pages I could print and put in a frame. The story of the life of an apples was wonderful. I definitely want a copy to own.
The Library Lady
Nov 21, 2009 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The artwork is gorgeous. But the nice fold up page to show the apple tree growing tall is going to get killed by the first few toddlers whose overindulgent moms don't restrict their use of this book. And I don't think this book needed any sort of gimmick.
Kathryn
Intriguing illustrations evoke cozy feelings of crisp autumn mornings and the deliciousness of apples in this simple story showing how the seed from one red apple can grow and make more as a family spends a delightful day apple picking.
Nari
Nov 04, 2011 Nari rated it really liked it
The illustrations are really the main selling point of this picture book. I adore the images and would love to frame each and every page and hang them up in my living room. The text is simple and short. The book tells the story of an apple, from picking it off the tree to eating it, planting the seeds and growing a big apple tree.
Sam Bloom
Oct 05, 2009 Sam Bloom rated it really liked it
I'm loving apples and everything apple-related right now, so it is a distinct possibility that I overrated this one. However, I like that the text is simple and that the illustrations are really nice, so this will make a nice story time selection. The kids are going to be so sick of apples by the time winter rolls around!!
Meghan
Feb 18, 2010 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, gift
Incredibly beautiful illustrations and text. This is a gentle, but powerful read. However, it does have a fold-out page and I probably wouldn't have gotten it for the library if I'd known since they tend to get ripped on the first or second perusal. I would buy this as a gift without hesitation, though.
Nbkyouth
E Ziefert
A book to use with a wide age range. Simple text for the youngest; emphasis on verbs(pick, drive, buy, enjoy) makes it useful for elementary age. Very pleasant folk art type illustrations.
Kim
Nov 19, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
The paintings on each page are worthy of quality framing.

The story was a great way to tell the life of an apple seed through an apple tree and back to the apple.

I don't much buy books anymore, but this one is on the list.
Dubravka
Apr 18, 2014 Dubravka rated it really liked it
This is a such a sweet read. My little one is all about seeds and sprouts, so this book was perfect for us. Beautiful illustrations, and text was simple enough for her to read by herself. Perfect as a first book.
Rebecca Ann
Mar 30, 2016 Rebecca Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was an ok story time read, but lacking that special spark. The kids like acting out the pages with me, but no one was grinning or on the edge of their seats.
Peacegal
Sep 27, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Simple text and wonderful, old-fashioned illustrations which to me were reminiscent of the old Sesame Street animated shorts.
Rosalie
Mar 13, 2010 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This a beautiful book perfect to read aloud to group of children...The illustrations are bright and charming. I will definitely add it to my group of books for story time.
Leah
The illustrations in this book are amazing! The story traces apples from seed, to tree, to market, and beyond. Not sure about leaving the cores for the birds to eat, though.
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2010
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
J.
J. rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Tammy Flanders
Tammy Flanders rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2010
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
melissa
melissa rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2012
Eve Lee
Eve Lee rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Olson Family Matters
Feb 04, 2012 Olson Family Matters rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-k-fall
Fantastic, fun illustrations
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2010
Brindi
Brindi rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Janey
Janey rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Geni
Geni rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
  • The Cow That Went OINK
  • Over the Rainbow
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...