Start by marking “On Her Majesty's Secret Service” as Want to Read:
On Her Majesty's Secret Service

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond (Original Series) #11)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  9,250 ratings  ·  346 reviews
Agent 007 is at a crossroads, antsy and dissatisfied. He even ponders quitting and goes so far as to compose a letter of resignation. He needs something--anything--to keep him in the game.

And what better way to keep James Bond in the game than a gorgeous woman?

When Bond rescues a beautiful, reckless girl from self-destruction, he finds himself with a lead on one of the mos
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about On Her Majesty's Secret Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Carmen
All he remembered, before sleep took him, was that she had said when it was all over, "That was heaven, James. Will you please come back when you wake up. I must have it once more." Then she had turned over on her side away from him and, without answering his last endearments, had gone to sleep - but not before he had heard that she was crying.
What the hell? All cats are grey in the dark.
True or false?

ALL CATS ARE GREY IN THE DARK

James Bond is driving through France, where he goes every year. Wh
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4.5* of five

Again a reminder that this is a review of the 1969 film, not Fleming's novel. I found I wasn't able to get past the outdated attitudes in the novels. I think because books are important to me, enduring documents of their times, and films are slight and insubstantial entertainments, I judge films much less harshly. After all, I take them so much less seriously.

This is only a 4.5-star experience because Lazenby's only outing as Bond was stylish and cool. It earned bad reviews f
F.R.
I guess if you write a number of books concerning the same character it’s almost inevitable that you’d get bored. Arthur Conan-Doyle did it, as did Agatha Christie – and here is Ian Fleming doing the same. ‘The Spy Who Loved Me’ was a not overly successful attempt to fiddle around with the Bond formula; however ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’ is an altogether more convincing step in a different direction. Whereas the previous book tore everything up to give a very different kind of Bond tale, ...more
Mark
Jan 19, 2015 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of 007 and Ian Fleming
This book written by Ian Fleming is the 2nd installment of the Blofeld trilogy, the 1st being "Thunderball" and the 3rd being "You Only Live twice". Ernst Stavro Blofeld is the leader of SPECTRE the criminal organisation that has targeted the NATO and Great Britain on two occasions. The first attempt was stopped by 007 and the second attempt is written about in this novel OHMSS.

James Bond in the beginning of this novel is thinking about his future with the secret service after spending too much
Mike (the Paladin)
Sandy
Ian Fleming's 11th James Bond book, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," was written, as was the author's wont, while on vacation at his Goldeneye retreat on the north shore of Jamaica, at Oracabessa, in the winter of 1962...coincidentally, not far from where filming for the original 007 movie, "Dr. No," was taking place at that same time. "OHMSS" is the middle segment of what has come to be known as "the Blofeld trilogy," which began with 1961's "Thunderball" (in which Bond and Blofeld do not mee ...more
El
This is that one Bond movie that featured George Lazenby, some guy no one had heard of before and has never heard of since. My childhood memory of the movie was that this was a real snooze and I've always (possibly unfairly) blamed Lazenby for that. Sean Connery was never boring, was my reasoning. (Also not true.)

In any case, because my childhood memories can be somewhat persuasive (in spite of being highly illogical or unreliable), I wasn't particularly looking forward to seeing this one again.
Daniel
"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was my first James Bond book, and it was exactly what I had wanted it to be: fast-paced, reasonably well-written, and enjoyable overall. Bond, as a character, was a bit more introspective than I had expected he'd be, and while the book was a touch misogynistic, it wasn't as terribly so as I had feared going in. While the book met my expectations, it never really went beyond them, thus the three-star rating. I'll probably read more Bond books, as this one was fun ...more
James
I think this one is my favourite of the Bond novels. Espionage, romance, action etc. Bond is still on the hunt for Blofeld and SPECTRE, but instead he finds Tracy and even love and marriage. Bond is at his most human in this novel.
Brian
* The eleventh Bond book.

* Second appearance of Blofeld.

* Strangely enough, if I were going to read only one of Fleming's Bond books, this probably wouldn't be it, yet it is my favorite in the complete series. No, it's really not so odd: after seeing Bond tortured by love in so many other novels, it's a pleasure to see him finally find a future in it.

* But there's also plenty of action, a worthy adversary, great detail, humor, and pathos. Because of Tracy, though, it all works best on top of a s
Howard Olsen
One of the great Bond books, this is the one famous for ending with Bond being married to Tracy, one of his conquests (it's also famous as the only Bond film starring the immortal George Lazenby). It also has a typically epic adventure as Bond travels to the Swiss Alps to stop Blofeld from attacking British agriculture with biological weapons.

Of all the Bond books, this is probably the one that works best as a piece of literature. We learn a lot about Bond's character: what motivates him to be
Jen
Let me preface this by saying that I read the James Bond books because of the adventures, not for the "love". Because the "love" in these stories is apparently the male fantasy. Why anyone would want a woman to act like these women do is beyond me. And sorry to say Ian Fleming has no idea what women are really like. He can't honestly believe that most women have rape fantasies. Being man-handled--yes--but raped? I don't freakin' think so.

I know, I know. Why do I read these books when they irrita
Carson
Having first and last read this novel years ago and - in the meantime - reading every other Bond novel written after Fleming, it was important to re-visit this one which is so vital to the character and story of 007.

James Bond, bored from chasing a presumed-dead Blofeld in the wake of "Thunderball" inadvertently finds his soul mate, important connections and the whereabouts of the re-formed SPECTRE.

It is difficult at this point to separate the novel from the film, the latter of which is pointedl
Leslie
3 stars.

This 11th entry in the original James Bond series has Bond once again facing Blofeld (from Thunderball) and SPECTRE, this time in Switzerland.

I was disappointed with Bond during the first third of this novel -- his character was more similar to the movie Bond (perhaps Fleming felt some pressure to write more like the successful movies?). Specifically he was more of a "ladies' man" and had less of the interior dialogue revealing emotional vulnerability. This aspect of his character does r
Rick Brindle
The first time I read the Bond books I was a teenager, and at that tender age I have to confess that I thought Fleming actually knew what women were all about, which probably explains my spectacular lack of success with them in my younger years. On reading them a second time around, I have to say (and it seems I'm not the first), the guy had no idea about women.
So, if we accept that Fleming was a social neanderthal, we can concentrate on the story. 007 is hunting Blofled, gets a tip from a mafia
Lachlan Smith
Todd Allison
Douglas Engle
So I'm going to start out by saying that I was dead wrong about this book, and that I'm not beyond admitting it. Well, maybe that's too much. I was right, for the reasons I cited, but when I gave the book a chance after those reasons came to light, I found that Fleming had really kicked over into another gear to write this book. I couldn't put it down after that, and I grew as a person and a reader. Here's the original review:

[[As I'm winding my way closer to finishing the original Bond novels,
Rob Thompson
You Have All The Time in The World

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the tenth novel in Ian Fleming's James Bond series. It was first published in 1963. It is the second book in what is known as the "Blofeld trilogy". This begins with Thunderball and concludes with You Only Live Twice. Fleming wrote the book in Jamaica whilst the first film in the Eon Productions series of films, Dr. No, was being filmed nearby.

After The Spy Who Loved Me’ ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’ is a return to form. In
Helen Stanton
Ran out of things to read on a rainy trip to N Wales .....bought in Oxfam for 1.50

A unexpected delight and will def read more. Yes it is a little dated.....and don't look for 3 dimensional women characters . But Bond is an engaging character, touched by tragedy with a dark past hinted at. Fleming is the master of suspense and I even shouted out loud at one bit. Fortunately I was at home and not on the train!!!!
Heather Macdermott
Read by David Tennant, need I say more? Oh yes, brilliant!
Fleming has a way of writing that I have not come across before, packing a lot of info into a sentence or paragraph without being laborious, tedious or obvious while at the same time perfectly moving the story along while keeping you fully engaged. The language Is perfectly suited to being read by David Tennant.
Eric Cone
This was my first time reading Ian Fleming's Bond and I loved it. ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE has always been my own personal favorite of the movies, so I was quite pleased that the film stayed pretty-true to Fleming's novel. There were only a few minor changes; but there was also a lot more that the film wasn't able to elaborate on. I enjoyed [this] Bond outing because I was able to get inside of James Bond's head; I saw the man, himself, and what makes him tick - from his finances to his c ...more
Josiah Hawkins
This is perhaps one of the most surprising Bond books out of the five that I've now read. I wont explain all of why its surprising because I think its better to be just as shocked as I was when you read it rather than know going in. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the second entry into the infamous Blofeld trilogy where Bond finally meets his match in a dastardly villain.

After the events of Thunderball and The Spy Who Loved Me we find 007 back where it all started, The Casino Royale. This cho
Tim
Charlene
This book does have a specific allure that is very of it's time. James Bond is not really the most likable character - he is charming and endlessly resourceful, but his treatment of women leaves much to be desired and he can be rather judgmental. But the adventures he gets up to, and the thrill of the suspense is really addicting, so even if I was shaking my head at various points, I really enjoyed the gripping story.

The piecemeal way in which Bond tries to get at the sinister and equally resour
Thom Swennes
In a military and soldierly tradition, members of the MI6 branch of the British Secret Service wage sorties, skirmishes and battles with their enemies and archenemies in a war for peace (and of course British interests). Unlike the armed forces, these soldiers work in the shadows and are never accorded the public commiserations for their failures or accolades from their successes. They are, however, sometimes forced to befriend or ally themselves with a known nemesis. After Operation Thunderball ...more
David Orphal
Definitely my favorite Bond book yet!

First off, the plot only demands a reasonable amount of suspended disbelief. First, an Alpine resort hide out is a lot more believable to me than the Island of Dr. No. Second, the evil plot of SPECTRE is almost believable. Using hypnosis to trick people into using biological-weapons to infect agricultural products (mad-cow, swine flu, avian flu, etc...) would be an interesting way to wage economic war on a country as small and isolated as England. It's only t
Andrew
Bond's 11th assignment,published in 1963(that's as new as The Fab Four!),follows a familiar enough pattern to the previous ten pacy novels;exotic locations (by 1960s standards!)& an exciting under-cover investigation with taciturn, charmless thugs & glamourously dumb women,culminating in a cliff-hanging & violent climax,from which Bond emerges bloodied but unbowed!. But O.H.M.S.S. is different, very different! Bond falls in love with Tracy,daughter of Corsica's criminal boss & a ...more
We have all the time in the world/ Time enough for life/ To unfold all the precious things/ Love has in store// We have all the love in the world/ If that's all we have you will find/ We need nothing more

Aside from all the horrible, misogynistic things that came out of Marc-Ange Draco's mouth, this book was a lot of fun. I loved the chase scenes; the complete ridiculousness of Blofeld's plan; and resourceful, smart, and ultimately tragic "Bond girl" Tracy. 3.25 stars
Spy/Spec Ops Group: BBC Radio: On Her Majesty's Secret Service 2 8 May 21, 2015 03:39PM
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate book cover 2 14 Aug 10, 2014 06:28AM
  • Scorpius (John Gardner's Bond, #7)
  • High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond, #3)
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007

Ian Lancaster Fleming was a British author, journalist and Second World War Navy Commander. Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James Bond and chronicling his adventures in twelve novels and nine short stories. Additionally, Fleming wrote the children's story Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and two
More about Ian Fleming...

James Bond (Original Series) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond #2)
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
  • Diamonds Are Forever (James Bond, #4)
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • Doctor No (James Bond, #6)
  • Goldfinger (James Bond, #7)
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
Casino Royale (James Bond, #1) From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5) Goldfinger (James Bond, #7) Live and Let Die (James Bond #2) Moonraker (James Bond, #3)

“The World Is Not Enough” 34 likes
“She explained to me later that she must have been possessed by a subconscious desire to be raped. Well she found me in the mountains and she was raped - by me.” 9 likes