Signs of the Spirit: An Interpretation of Jonathan Edwards's "Religious Affections"

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Jonathan Edwards’s treatise Religious Affections is widely considered the most important and accurate analysis of religious experience ever written.

Unfortunately, many well-intentioned readers sit down with Religious Affections, only to give up in frustration over Edwards’s lofty style and complex argumentation.

For this reason Sam Storms, one of evangelicalism’s experts

Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 27th 2007)

nate
It took me months to read this book, but what a worthwhile labor it has been. I have always been intimidated by the writings of Jonathan Edwards, but Storms did a fantastic job of making Edwards accessible, warm, and exhilarating. I would heartily recommend this as a gateway into Jonathan Edwards and that is a gate that should be opened.
Devin
Sam Storms does an excellent job of relating Jonathan Edwards' mature reflections on the First Great Awakening. This book will, at times, leave you doubting whether or not you are actually saved, but in the end, believers can use this as a way to fight for joy in their lives.
Kenny Keahey
I appreciate Mr. Storms modern interpretation of Jonathan Edwards' Religious Affections. The modern language made it so much more enjoyable to read!
John Root
Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards, made much more accessible. One of the most spiritually convicting/challenging books I've ever read.
Renjie
A thorough self-check on what the presence of the Holy Spirit should look and feel like. Excellent.
Marliss
Excellent book, one I read again, and no doubt again after that.
Warren Sibley
Jan 07, 2008 Warren Sibley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
finding it helpful to read alongside Edwards
Larry
Deep, hard read. Storms helped me to comprehend a very difficult, but immensely edifiying classic. And convicting. As relevant today as it was 3 centuries ago in considering the genuine work of the Spirit.
Robbie Robinson
Robbie Robinson marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Roy
Roy marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Casey Boyd
Casey Boyd marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Lisab
Lisab marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Areille
Areille marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Kelly Willmer
Kelly Willmer marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Chosen for Life Kingdom Come One Thing: Developing a Passion for the Beauty of God Convergence: Spiritual Journeys of a Charismatic Calvinist The Beginner's Guide to Spiritual Gifts