Start by marking “Horns” as Want to Read:
Horns

Horns

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  73,362 Ratings  ·  7,115 Reviews
Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with a thunderous hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private purgatory, following the death of h
Published March 1st 2010 by William Morrow (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Horns, please sign up.

Zedsdead I think so. The book does a far better job conveying characters' motives. Without being able to fill in the gaps, I'd have thought the movie was dumb…moreI think so. The book does a far better job conveying characters' motives. Without being able to fill in the gaps, I'd have thought the movie was dumb instead of just over-condensed.(less)
César Hard to say, depends a lot on the reader. For me, 1-2.

Hard to say, depends a lot on the reader. For me, 1-2.

There are lots of hell/devilish imagery, but I didn't find the supernatural part scary at all. There are some (well done) thriller/suspenseful bits, though, mostly related to the murder/killer. They kept me at the edge of my seat reading, but I wouldn't list them as "scary".(less)

Stephen
horns-book-cover-02-1v2

Joe Hill has the story-telling gift and his terrific sophomore effort catapults him onto my “authors-to-watch” list. I had some heated internal debates regarding what final rating to tag this with as I vacillated between 5, 4 and 3 stars depending on where I was in the book, eventually settling on a very strong 4. I don’t think this ratings quandary necessarily reflects uneven levels of quality in Hill’s execution. Rather, I think the back and forth resulted from the subtlety and complexity of
Kemper
Mar 20, 2010 Kemper rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Stephen King really messed up his son, Joe. It’s not surprising. The children of famous people generally end up as tabloid fodder, and with King as a dad, I’m shocked that one of his brood hasn’t gone on an extended murder spree.

King spends all day thinking of the most horrific shit possible to try and scare the collective pants off the reading public, and he had huge substance abuse problems when his kids were young. So you gotta assume that the conversations went something like this:

“Joe, get
Kelly
In order to enjoy this book for the disappointment it is, I suggest the following for the over 21 crowd:

Take one sip every time...:
Someone exclaims any one of: "No!"; "Oh my God!” “What ARE you?”
A character or location from a Stephen King novel is mentioned.
You want to slap the main character and tell him to man up.
Merrin’s hair is described.
The pace becomes inert.
The word devil appears. (*Warning* you may get intoxicated from this action alone)
The setting is either at the evil knieval tra
Becky
Remember, way back at the beginning of the year, when I said that I wanted to hump Hugh Laurie's leg for writing The Gun Seller? After reading Horns, and just the ARC - not even the finished, shiny and perfect masterpiece - I want to hump Joe Hill's leg for writing it.

Not too long ago, I read Hill's short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts, and in the intro, Christopher Golden says that Hill is subtle writer, that his stories are "promises fulfilled". I think that Golden's words about Joe Hi
The Holy Terror
It's hard for me to rate this book. On one hand I was hooked within the first 20 pages. On the other hand though I found it emotionally draining and painful to read. There's a quote that Ig reads to himself that I think sums up my feelings as well:

"It goes against the American storytelling grain to have someone in a situation he can't get out of, but I think this is very usual in life."

I often read fantasy and paranormal books to escape the harsh realities of life. It's the same reason I don't w
Dan Schwent
May 24, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2013
Ignatius Perrish's longtime girlfriend was murdered and the whole town thinks he did it but he's walking free because the evidence was destroyed. After an all night bender, he wakes up with horns sticking out of his head that allow him to hear the thoughts of others. When he learns the identity of Merrin's killer, things start spiraling out of control...

First off, the good points. Joe Hill's writing is a throwback to his father's early days, back when people had the guts to edit him and his stil
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I need three things to make the hurt go away:

and

Jadranka
Oct 02, 2012 Jadranka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ig Periš, 26-godišnji mladić koji krade Bogu dane posle tragedije koja ga je zadesila, budi se jednog jutra mamuran, bez sećanja na prethodnu noć, sa rogovima na glavi. Vrlo brzo uviđa da rogovi nisu samo rožnati izraštaji, već da zahvaljujući njima može da sazna najgrešnije misli ljudi oko sebe, kao i da utiče na njihove postupke.
Ig Periš postaje vrsni poznavalac "univerzalnog jezika - jezika greha".
"Rogovi" je drugi Hilov roman koji sam bila u prilici da pročitam (prvi je bio "Kutija u obliku
Charity
Mar 27, 2010 Charity rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scaredy Cats and Evil Folk
Shelves: first-reads
4.5 Stars

When people saw me reading this they would ask if it was "any good." To say that this was good would be a massive understatement. It was supremely good. It was deliciously good. It was piss-your-pants good. It was leave-the-lights-on-all-night good. Yeah, it rocked! I was haunted, I was chilled, I was tingled, I was addicted. Putting the book down, even for a moment, was a hardship. Hill wrote about a psychopath that was so real, so disturbing, so terrifying, that I just wanted to peel
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 07, 2012 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
*After second reading*
VERY GOOD. watch my video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZT4m3...

*First read in Nov/Dec 2012*
Bill Khaemba
“The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rear-view mirror on your way to something better.”

Update: Just watched the movie I would give it a 6/10 the book is still way better
This book rapidly broke into one of the best books I have ever read. In my small reading life, I have never come across a book that has such a bizarre concept with its own unique premise and an amazing story line that just leaves you…

“I guess Satan was the first superhero [...] In his first
This book was psychotic, sad, humorous, mysterious, and did I say psychotic? Imagine waking up with a pair of horns growing out of your head and every person you encounter suddenly has a compulsion to tell you their darkest thoughts and actions. Twilight Zone is a kid's show compared to this!

After pissing his pants, the main character: Ig decides to make the best of this unbelievable situation. The love of his life was murdered and he didn't do it. But lucky for him, he can find out who did. Pro
Tally
Oct 08, 2014 Tally rated it it was amazing
I had high expectations for this book.

It completely blew those expectations out of the water!

This review might end up as a bunch of disjointed thoughts, because I'm having trouble organizing exactly how I felt. Warning: The beginning of this story is slightly soul-crushing. This book doesn't put a lot of faith in humanity, at least not in the beginning (I won't disclose anything about the end). As long as you don't take that aspect of it too seriously, it can be so good.

The setting was superbly
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

“You think you know someone. But mostly you just know what you want to know.”

Of course I know by now that Joe Hill is none other than the son of the nearly worshipped Stephen King. I keep seeing praise in my feed and groups about his work, but Horns is my first taste of what he's offering. I'd seen - and loved - the movie on Netflix a few months before reading this.

Since the book and movie are so similar, there weren't surprises waiting for me. That soured it a little but I still loved
Matthew
Nov 14, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, horror, kindle, library
Joe Hill writes from a dark and mysterious place. When I read this book, I was enthralled and uncomfortable at the same time. With every Hill novel I have read, the evil is unconventional and twisted. In this novel, the protagonist connects with the dark forces through mysterious horns growing out of his head . . . and it only gets stranger from there.

My guess is that 9 out of 10 readers will have no idea exactly what happened, but there is a good chance that most of them will have enjoyed it (
Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 22, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I see a lot of reviewers liked this one... I may not be the first, but if I am, please let me be the first to disagree. Maybe it wasn't totally crap, but I found it a major disappointment.

Let me say I liked Heart Shaped Box a lot. It was a genuinely scary book that while it might not have broken totally "new" ground proved that the writer could do good psychological terror/horror without resorting to cheap cop out. This book, while not being terrible, was full of cop outs, stereotypes, (an
Bark's Book Nonsense
Feb 21, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites
Ignatius (Ig) wakes up from a drunken stupor to discover he has horns growing out of his head. At first he believes he’s losing his mind but quickly discovers that they are indeed real and come with a terrifying power that compel others to spill what they’re really thinking and it’s never all hearts and flowers either.

Poor Ig learns things about those closest to him that would destroy most people and soon realizes he is completely alone. A year earlier the love of his life, Merrill, was brutally
Puck
Aug 22, 2016 Puck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what a book! How wicked, how sardonic, how devilishly good!

But with the main character called Ignatius (which means fire or firey one), what can you expect? Nothing better than a lovely strange story with well-fleshed characters and a subtle creepy atmosphere, with the theme of revenge smouldering in the background.

One year ago Merrin Williams, Ignatius Perrish’s girlfriend, was found raped and murdered in the woods. Ig was the main suspect and although there was never any evidence to char
Gavin
Sep 17, 2015 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm not a giant fan of the horror genre, but I'm glad I gave this book a chance as it was a decent enough read. Horns was more of a dark fantasy with a heavy dose of black comedy rather than your regular gore filled horror story, though it did have a few gory horror moments, and I think that is probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Ignatius Perrish wakes up after a heavy night of boozing to discover he has grown a pair of horns! At first he thinks he has simply lapsed into madness. Who could blame h
Ashton Gibbs ♥ BB&B
Horns - Joe Hill
Beauty, Books and Babble

After seeing the trailer for the movie adaptation of Horns, I naturally made the decision to read the book before watching the film, and after hearing nothing but good things about it from my brother, I couldn't wait to get stuck in.

Horns follows the story of Ignatius Perrish, who is living in his very own hell where his childhood sweetheart and long-term girlfriend, Merrin, has been murdered, and despite the lack of evidence, Ig is the prime suspect, an
Maciek
After a night of alcoholic indulgence and doing terrible things, Ignatius Perrish wakes up very hungover and very surprised - he discovers that somehow when he was passed out a pair of horns grew on his head. Understandably shocked by the fact, Ig at first tries to deny the very existence of his horns - he it on booze-influenced hallucinations. Just to be sure, he decides to see a doctor and confirm that everything is all right with him. Because the horns do feel very real...

The visit to the doc
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 WWID (What Would Ig Do) Stars

For Halloween I stepped out of my comfort zone and decided to try something a little different.
 photo box_zps5aa87ada.jpg
I thought this would be a horror novel, while it is disturbing at times it isn’t scary and the dialogue is so smart as to make you really think. There are a few theological statements that really made me think. Statements like the one below sat with me for days -
“Him and God are supposed to be at war with each other. But if God hates sin and Satan punishes the sinn
Apatt
Nov 03, 2014 Apatt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
As Horns is basically about a man who wakes up one day and finds that horns have sprouted on his head it is very tempting to start with a very lame joke “here is a guy who wakes up feeling horny - LOL!”. Fortunately I would never stoop to that level (plus it has already been done).

OK, so Ignatius Martin Perrish wakes up with a couple of horns and some supernatural power which most people would rather do without. Horns starts off like some dark and surreal comedy but as the story unfolds the narr
Liz
Jul 14, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing

Devil inside
The devil inside
Every single one of us
The devil inside…

(courtesy of INXS and my 8th grade dance memories)

Ignatius Perrish wakes up one morning after a blackout night of drinking, only knowing that he’s “done terrible things,” and looks in the mirror to find that he has grown horns. Show of hands, who doesn’t want to know where that’s going? If you just raised your hand, I say you lie!

Once I stepped into the world of Ignatius Martin Perrish, I didn’t want to come out again. My firs
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I'm really glad I picked this up. Horror isn't really my thing, or at least it hasn't been. I've tried several times to read King, but so far he and I haven't clicked very well. I've been hearing a lot about Joe Hill lately because a few of my very good GR friends recently formed a group to talk about his books. They invited me to it and I just though "eh. thanks but no thanks." Then one day I clicked the link to read the summary of Horns and thought "hey, cool cover!" Which, of course, being of ...more
Kandice
Jan 27, 2010 Kandice rated it it was amazing
I want to start off by saying the copy of this book I read was a signed copy that was a birthday gift from a very dear friend. It's the first signed book I've ever owned, and I was more excited by the fact that STEPHEN KING'S son signed it than that it was signed by the author when I first got it. Not anymore! No one will ever replace King in my heart, but I now love Joe Hill for Joe Hill. It doesn't matter who his parents are. It's morbid, but I've always been sad to think that someday King wil ...more
Brandon
May 08, 2011 Brandon rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, fiction, 2012
Ig awakens following a night of drunken debauchery with a throbbing headache. A trip to the bathroom and a glance in the mirror reveals that he has amazingly sprouted a pair of horns.

This is coming off a tragic turn of events the previous year in which his girlfriend was found raped and murdered. Unfortunately, all the evidence that could have cleared him had been destroyed. So without a way to prove his innocence, the entire town is convinced he’s the culprit.

We soon find out that these horns a
Janie Johnson
May 23, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I'm not sure where to start with this book or exactly how to rate it. On one hand I was hooked right when I started reading it because it was so different, and then it did this 'go back in time thing', and then it snapped back into present and it made it a little confusing and hard to focus at times.

I also felt that the storyline was a bit weak, it felt like it would have been so much more. I loved the ideas behind it, it just did not seem to play out well. I kept thinking ok so it is just a sl
Ron
Jun 19, 2016 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Here’s the bad news: Horns now completes my reading of all five Joe Hill books (not including the Locke & Key graphic series). And really, knowing that is the worst of this review. That and the fact that I am sad it’s over. By the way, Horns is the third book released by Hill. Figures that I would finish in the middle (not that it’s necessary to read his books in any particular order). Why did I read this book last? Honestly, the description didn’t interest me in 2010: ”Horns growing from so ...more
Rachel
Aug 10, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Ok before Kandice starts bleeding, here I go....Horns is one of those books that starts out catching your interest right away, grabs on and doesn't let go until it gets you to the end. It's entertaining, exciting but also rather deep and thoughtful. When I was a teenager, for whatever reason, I tried to read Why Bad Things Happen to Good People and thought it was too philisophical and boring (I was a teenager). Horns examines the same topic but makes it fun. The story starts out more bizarro tha ...more
Around the Year i...: Horns, by Joe Hill 3 27 Mar 06, 2017 11:33AM
Horror Aficionados : Horns by Joe Hill $1.99 2 13 Oct 26, 2016 10:25PM
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Threshold
  • The Painted Darkness
  • No Doors, No Windows
  • The Pilo Family Circus
  • Ghoul
  • Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2)
  • Dark Harvest
  • The Five
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He also writes short stories. Some of them were gathered together i
More about Joe Hill...

30 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.” 493 likes
“You think you know someone. But mostly you just know what you want to know.” 480 likes