Start by marking “A Short History of the 20th Century” as Want to Read:
A Short History of the 20th Century

A Short History of the 20th Century

Most readers will find much that is new to them here, and sometimes material that refutes what they thought they knew. Blainey's analysis of the world's great religions alone justifies the book, but it is only part of a broad tapestry that ranges across the entire human experience.-William L. O'Neill
Published June 15th 2006 by Ivan R. Dee Publisher (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Short History of the 20th Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Short History of the 20th Century

Dominik Bacher
Dec 17, 2011 Dominik Bacher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-to-re-read
A perfect book for anyone seeking to learn about the 20th century in general, although it focuses more on America, Russia, Europe and some of Asia. The author tells the story, in my personal opinion, as if he was narrating a novel, this is what makes the reader enjoy reading the history as if it was a story, instead of reading just facts. It is also important to say that the book has no personal opinion from the author.
Julie Brock
Jan 30, 2011 Julie Brock rated it really liked it
Very engaging overall and definitely filled in some gaps in my education. Interesting shift: events that I remembered as "current events" in school are now "history." The author throws in some thematic/cultural information at random; sometimes a bit disjointed. Also I would have loved to have a timeline showing what was simultaneously happening at different parts of the world throughout the 20th century. Hard to keep track of the 1930s, e.g., in North America, Asia, Europe, etc. I will probably ...more
Patricia Ferreira
Jan 15, 2014 Patricia Ferreira rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Very good book, that quickly explains what happened in the twentieth century, in the arts, science, politics, and daily life, so that we can further research the subjects which we find most interesting.
Shaheryar
Aug 25, 2016 Shaheryar rated it really liked it
Good read if you want a refresher of the events which surrounded the 20th century and how the two world war changed our lives. The book spend a good amount of time explaining the imperialism of the world leading up to the first world war and continued on to independence from imperial power. It covered all major events of the century, mostly on Europe, United States and Asia. Surprisingly, details of the Ottoman Empire leading up to Turkey's independence and Kemal Atarurk was also mentioned. Most ...more
Dave
Sep 03, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok
This is OK, but mostly for the nimble way that he summarizes a lot of incidents thematically--it's a pretty short book, given the scope. However, the less I knew about some historical incident, the better I thought his discussion was--Gallipoli, for instance. And I get a flavor of conservatism, which is a lot stronger when he talks about the sixties or anything idealistic. Plus he seems depressed about the whole thing. I wonder if it's that he can't quite be historically objective (which seems t ...more
Elaine
Sep 06, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eu já tinha lido o "Uma Breve História do Mundo" do mesmo autor, mas gostei mais ainda deste. É realmente breve e lista os fatos mais importantes do século XX, parece um filme, um conto. Tanto quanto o outro livro, me faz pensar que eu gostaria de ter aprendido História na escola assim. Tudo faz sentido, fala sobre curiosidades e fatos e suas consequencias, que culminaram com os importantes eventos do século passado, como as 2 guerras mundiais, e vai até mudanças de comportamento e costumes, com ...more
Gabriela Melo
As duas maiores guerras da Historia. Movimentos nacionalistas. Revoluções socialistas. Criação do Estado de Israel. Quebra da Bolsa de Nova Iorque. O século XX, com certeza, foi um período bastante agitado.
É sobre este turbulento século que o historiador e professor australiano Geoffrey Blainey trata em seu célebre livro, com uma fácil e gostosa leitura sobre os diversos acontecimentos históricos.
Kate
May 07, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Great concept, but very disappointing. This would make an excellent review if you already knew all of the history of the 20th century, but for those who don't, it will prove frustratingly patchy and vague. In the interest of stylish writing, the author omits a lot of the hard facts: dates, names of treaties, movements and events, the nitty gritty of how a country has moved from dictatorship to democracy. There are probably better surveys of the 20th century out there.
Kenneth
Jun 30, 2013 Kenneth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book to catch up with the history of the 20th century and to have an understanding how the countries in the world became who they are.

At least now I know how World War 1 started and subsequently World War 2. And the irony that the nuclear bomb is what is keeping us from going into World War 3!
Daniel Taylor
Mar 29, 2011 Daniel Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Why would a Ghandi-style nonviolence approach have failed against Hitler? How close did democracy come to being wiped out? This eyeopening and well written history will increase your understanding of the forces that shape today's world.
Michael O'Donnell
May 21, 2016 Michael O'Donnell rated it really liked it
A good read. The focus is political and from an Australian perspective. There are things that you never knew. There are things that you disagree with. There are things that are glossed over. Their themes are still there. Climate Change. Islam. USA. Russia. China
Peter
May 06, 2010 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Almost Everyone!!
Shelves: books-i-own
I think this is one of the most engaging, quality history books on the market. More of a narrative than a timeline, this brilliant number is packed with human interest and poignant speculation. Highly reccomended.
Guilherme Fonseca
Ótimo livro. Geoffrey mostra-se um historiador competente permeando questões aparentemente de pouca importância e revelando suas influências no coditiano do mundo, assim como trabalha os grandes feitos revelando seus impactos.
Todo mundo deveria ler esse livro.
Petersong
Sep 05, 2011 Petersong rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this book while browsing in the Dymock's city store. It aroused my interest in amodern history. It is full of interesting facts. I look forward to reading Blainey's books "A Shorter History of Australia" and "A Very Short History of the World".
Sara Al-mahbshi
Jul 02, 2014 Sara Al-mahbshi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to whoever wants to know a brief history of the century.
Alexandre Magno
muito simplista, mas um bom resumao!
Anna MacFalane
May 18, 2007 Anna MacFalane rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in history as bedtime reading
So easy to read, uses imagery as well as dates and places, etc.
Aguiar
Jan 25, 2009 Aguiar rated it it was ok
indicaçao da talita
Ben
Jul 05, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction-read
From the small scale to the large scale Blainey captures everything of significance. His narrative history style is rich and rewarding. It makes learning fun! A great summary of an important century.
Saul Abbad
Mar 15, 2011 Saul Abbad rated it liked it
Following the sucess of the short history of the world, is a good book, but I have expected a deeper book...
Antonio Luís
Jun 17, 2010 Antonio Luís rated it really liked it
A very good oportunity to review the main facts of 20th Century !
Rabs
Dec 05, 2013 Rabs rated it really liked it
interessante
C.
Aug 18, 2008 C. rated it really liked it
A good overview of twentieth-century history. Blainey's a conservative old bum, though. Also, it's too short. So much happened in the twentieth century, dammit.
Scott
Mar 10, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it
You can read a few of my thoughts here::

Helio
Helio rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Nick Shay
Nick Shay rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Miles Tuttle
Miles Tuttle rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Guilherme
Guilherme rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
  • Merchant, Soldier, Sage: A New History of Power
  • Esteiros
  • Só
  • Em Teu Ventre
Geoffrey Norman Blainey AC is a prominent Australian historian. He attended Wesley College and the University of Melbourne. He was appointed to a teaching post at the University of Melbourne in 1962, becoming Professor of Economic History in 1968, Professor of History in 1977, and then Dean of Melbourne's Faculty of Arts in 1982. From 1994 to 1998 Blainey was foundation Chancellor at the Universit ...more
More about Geoffrey Blainey...