Start by marking “Don't Know Much About Literature: What You Need to Know but Never Learned About Great Books and Authors” as Want to Read:

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  34 reviews
From Homer to Harry Potter, from Chaucer to Charlotte's Web, acompelling book of quizzes on history's most influential literary worksand writers

Did a whale named "Mocha Dick" inspire Melville's masterpiece?
Who was the first poet to speak at a presidential inauguration?
Which French-speaking high school football star shook up the literary world?
Do you freeze when someone men
Published July 28th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Know Much About Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Know Much About Literature

karen
it took me and greg about eight months to get through this one, due to misplacing the book or boredom or "better things to do" (can you imagine??) but today we finished it and celebrated by eating expensive birthday chocolates (thanks, elizabeth!!!) and watching the man in the yellow shirt sleep facedown on the rock. stay classy, woodside!!

this book was not as good as who killed iago (click this, alfonso!) which was our last book of literary challenges shared on sunday dorkouts (and let us not
Carrie
Having never read one of these "Don't Know Much About..." books, I was unprepared for the format. Each chapter (if one could call them chapters) is given a small blurb about the topic, whether specific to a particular book title, author, or subject (such as, working or catchy titles, epitaphs, or Nobel Prize winners), and follows with a handful of quiz questions (occasionally true/false). The backside of that page then supplies the answers. This setup made reading through the book go quicker tha ...more
David
What made Don't Know Much About History: Everything You Need to Know About American History but Never Learned good was its irreverent yet balanced tone. Unlike many history books, it didn’t just focus on the sunny side, but also didn’t villanize any more than necessary. It was one of the only history books I’ve read that really highlighted that everyone has always been as hapless as they are today.

The problem with Don’t Know Much About Literature is that Davis totally switched up his approach
Ludmilla
Kime Göre Neye Göre "Need to Know"? Mesela Oliver Twist'in mi David Copperfield'ın mı bilmemkaç yılındaki uyarlamasının 5 Oscar aldığını bilmek gerekir mi? Ve buna benzer tonla saçmalık. Kitap okumuyorsanız ya da yaz kış elinizde güzel dursun diye bir kitap taşıyorsanız, evet, bu kitabı okuyabilirsiniz. Böylece biraz hava yapabilir, imajı kurtarabilirsiniz. Ama gerçek bir okursanız verdiğiniz paraya yazık. Uzak durun.
Kathaileen
I thought this would be more of an encyclopedic reference to great literature. Instead, the summary of each book was entirely too short, and the trivia test were distracting and misleading. I would have preferred a lot more books, a tiny bit longer summaries and lots of facts and true trivia – no quizzes. I just hope all the false questions don’t stick in my head as facts for the literature.
Lenna
I picked up this book at the library hoping to learn a little more about the classics and the authors who wrote them. This book did not even include some of the basics that I learned in high school English. Instead, it gave very little (useless) information and then quized the reader on trivia that would not be known by a reader who "doesn't know much about literature."
Rafal Cebula
A very disappointing book. I was under the impression this was about learning new ways to read literature and understand the themes that are going on. This is in fact simply a trivia style book. With a paragraph on a topic/authors and 5 quick questions about them. Kind of disappointing but I guess the book is good for what it is.
DC
Note: This book is part of the Don't Know Much About series (which I only found out about when I looked this up on Goodreads, lol).

What I thought would be a definitive and extremely wordy guide to well-known books and authors actually just turned out to be a bunch of trivia about well-known books and authors. So, basically, it 1) disappointed me when I saw the contents, but it also 2) astounded me on how simply placed and interesting the facts were mentioned in this book. It gives little backgro
Kristine
Part of the Don't Know Much About series, this is simply an okay sort of trivia style book about literature with a consistent two page pattern: PAGE ONE:Don't know much about X, a paragraph about X, and questions about X -- and PAGE TWO: answers about X. There isn't much to say about this book other than here are some topics that equal the "X" referred to in the previous statement: Fictional First Lines, Charlotte's Web, Dracula, Ernest Hemingway, Robert Frost, Victor Hugo, Gone with the Wind, ...more
David Ward
Don't Know Much About Literature: What You Need to Know But Never Learned About Great Books and Authors by Kenneth C. Davis and Jenny Davis (Harper Collins 2009) (806.0) Interesting one and two page summaries of the author's selection of “great books.” My rating: 7/10 finished 2010.
Elaine
Jan 17, 2015 Elaine added it
Thonk I was expecting a summary book but the quizzes are pointless if you know nothing about the topics/authors. And if I knew the answers I would know o lot and won't have even picked up the book. Still a reasonable summary of key authors etc if you need a reading list
Zeynep Nur
Genel fikir edinme acisindan iyi dusunulmus ama fazlasiyla eksik, yetersiz kalmis bir kitap.
Tristan Williams
Decent read for a trivia nut, though even I said "who the hell cares?" a few times.
J.J. Lair
I really enjoy Kenneth C Davis' books. Since I write a blog and am working on my next manuscript, I bought this for a little inspiration and fun reading. I didn't get much out of it. The bios of the authors were short and bland. The follow up questions were pretty easy. If I leaned anything, I won't remember it because of the format.
I didn't rate it high because I didn't learn anything substantial. Maybe the next Davis book, I'll rate higher.
Delali
This book was something I didn't expect. I thought it would be paragraph after paragraph on different writing but I was happily proven wrong. For every author or famous work there is a paragraph that gives some background and then you have a quiz to test your knowledge on the particular topic. I got to see how much or rather how little I knew. This got me through my finals exams when I had nothing else to do.
Allison
A fun trivia book about classic literature. Each page is a different subject, like "Fictional First Lines," "Banned Books," or specific authors. There's a brief paragraph of information on the topic, and then a quiz. It definitely piqued my curiosity about some of the classics I'd never read, and some authors I'd never even heard of! A good way to amuse yourself while compiling an extensive reading list.
Julie
While I typically devour books about books and I have enjoyed Davis’s other books, the “quiz” format of DKMA Literature just didn’t work. It was literally too trivial and didn’t offer any quality information on literary topics or authors. I browsed a few topics that caught my interest, but the configuration made any content meaningless.
Leonard
Very brief introductions to numerous writers and other aspects of literature. Quick reading but not very inspiring, unless, of course, you actually read the authors you are very superficially introduced to in this book.
Sheila
Sep 16, 2010 Sheila marked it as didn-t-finish
This format didn't work for me--quiz, answers, quiz, answers, etc. Flipping back and forth (because I don't really know a lot of the answers, the whole reason why I got this book) just irritated me.
Wendy
Cool factoids on famous authors and classics and it gave me some new ideas for my growing to-read booklist. Short, so not a huge commitment. Enjoyed it.
J.C. Wing
Excellent reference book...made me realize one more time just how many great books there are in this world. Oh...so many books, so little time...
N.T.
Feb 05, 2012 N.T. added it
back after long trek, enjoying this trivia to keep us awake in this time zone and get my head clicking back to my studies
Steve Clark
I hadn't read one of these Don't Know Much About books in a while. I found the quiz format tiresome after a bit.
Iamabibliophile
I did not think this was a trivia book. I was expecting a book with synopses of great works of literature not quizzes.
Melissa
Lots of interesting literary trivia - and we all know I love trivia....especially about books
MARTI
Bazen edebiyat sadece eğlendirmek içindir. Eğlenceli ve bilgilendirici bir kitap bu, sevilesi.
Darren Sapp
Fun, interesting info, but the quiz/answer format is annoying. Too much page turning.
Jess
I don't enjoy this quiz format in this book as much as the other books in the series.
Foxstreet
If you read books, then this isn't worth it. You should know this stuff already...
Sherry
Fun little book filled with factoids about other books and authors. Love it!
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • Falling Into Theory: Conflicting Views on Reading Literature
  • The President's House: 1800 to the Present The Secrets and History of the World's Most Famous Home
  • Poplorica: A Popular History of the Fads, Mavericks, Inventions, and Lore That Shaped Modern America
  • Everyday Life in Traditional Japan
  • Heroes of the Dawn: Celtic Myth (Myth and Mankind)
  • Adaptations: From Short Story to Big Screen: 35 Great Stories That Have Inspired Great Films
  • The Art of InuYasha
  • All on Fire: William Lloyd Garrison and the Abolition of Slavery
  • The Last Days of Dead Celebrities
  • Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous
  • Shelf Life: Romance, Mystery, Drama, and Other Page-Turning Adventures from a Year in a Book store
  • Codes, Ciphers and Secret Writing
  • Reflections in a Jaundiced Eye
  • Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood
  • Leonard Maltin's 151 Best Movies You've Never Seen
  • The Bibliophile's Devotional: 365 Days of Literary Classics
  • One-Night Stands with American History: Odd, Amusing, and Little-Known Incidents
Kenneth C. Davis is the New York Times bestselling author of the Don't Know Much About series of books and audios for adults and children. The first title in the series, Don't Know Much About History became a New York Times bestseller in 1991 and remained on the paperback list for 35 consecutive weeks. It has since been revised several times and now has more than 1.6 million copies in print.

He is
More about Kenneth C. Davis...
Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation Don't Know Much About the Civil War: Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict but Never Learned