Start by marking “From Clueless to Class Act: Manners for the Modern Woman” as Want to Read:
From Clueless to Class Act: Manners for the Modern Woman

From Clueless to Class Act: Manners for the Modern Woman

Every woman wants to put her best foot forward - and avoid those dreaded faux pas that turn off employers and co-workers, dates and friends. Written with zest and humour, this female-centered guide makes good behaviour simple and fun.
Published April 11th 2006 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about From Clueless to Class Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Clueless to Class Act

Ashley
Oct 03, 2015 Ashley rated it it was ok
I just learned that this was updated in 2015; whereas the version I read was published nine years ago. So I’m going to *hope* that the updated version is better than this one. It’d be pretty challenging for it to be worse.

This is a pretty sexist book. I think the author has this idea that teaching etiquette is the same thing as teaching women how to fit into every stereotype about what a woman should be. Now, I love etiquette books. I’ve read loads of them, including some hilariously ridiculous
411Junkie
Dec 22, 2013 411Junkie rated it it was amazing
"Etiquette is fascinating because it involves so many different areas: history, sociology, psychology, gender issues, race relations, and technology. (173)"

What a true statement! Smith has done an excellent job providing quality information an entertaining way. The subject of etiquette can be a daunting task to educate others about because everything you do in life is tied to a certain type of behavior that expected.

Jodi R. R. Smith covers a lot of ground in her book--from public places and even
SooYoung
Nov 15, 2007 SooYoung rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one I know
I was just sort of curious so sue me. It's a quick read, finished it in a day, it gets fairly repetitive at the end of the day.
Was a good reminder to be a little nicer and respecting a little more often. Somethings were nice like always return a phone call promptly, write handwritten thank you notes (the darker the ink the more formal the tone!), and a guide on what to tip whom and for what occassion (goes far beyond just your server at dinner), while some things I could do without--none of whi
Candy
Jan 18, 2015 Candy rated it liked it
This book teaches me etiquette, but only some of the tips apply since I am fourteen. Still, it is overall enjoyable and reminds me to improve myself constantly.
Katy
Jan 04, 2011 Katy rated it liked it
While not the most exciting read, I found this book of modern etiquette to be very informative. I felt like I had solid knowledge of good manners before reading this, but I have to admit that there was a LOT I didn't know or didn't realize. Some of it seemed silly to me (a 4-page description of how to eat a lobster?), but for the most part, the book contained very practical tips. The challenge now is remembering them -- I read the book a few months ago and I already have forgotten many of the de ...more
Alaina Counts
Feb 03, 2016 Alaina Counts rated it liked it
Definitely a cute book if you're anything like me and find a lot of nostalgia, humor, and sometimes useful tips in etiquette books :)
Lauren
Sep 11, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok
Read this to get it off my shelf. Heterocentric, dated, uninteresting, reads as though it was written for aliens newly arrived on earth instead of women.
AmyAstrid
Aug 04, 2013 AmyAstrid rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wendy adams rivard, mary-ann
What a hoot! Among all my etiquette books (gifts from mom-hint?) this one I purchased and roared. The author, Jodi, R. R. Smith (who also has a groovy blog), does not mock etiquette but, rather, adds humor to a topic that demonstrates how essential a bit of light-heartedness adds to one's personality. People who seem too serious and try to appear WAY intellectual frighten me and typically end up making faux pas in their behavior (no names, ex-bro-in-law: etymology vs. entomology--oops!). No loss ...more
Tamara
Oct 23, 2014 Tamara rated it liked it
Most of it is common sense, but I do love my etiquette books.
Ashley Lin
Aug 31, 2008 Ashley Lin rated it liked it
I started reading this book more in a joking manner, but hoping for some traveling and tipping tips, which I did find. While most of this book is common sense, I did find some helpful tips and it even came with a travel size tipping scale not only for food service, but also for valet service and other instances for tipping. Sadly enough I do know a few people who are in serious need of this book. And for all you women who think your man needs some manners, there is a men's version available.
Brenda
Aug 08, 2011 Brenda rated it liked it
This was enjoyable enough. It would be better to have on hand as needed, as opposed to reading it straight through and trying to remember everything - although most people should already be aware of most of these manners tips.
Sylvia
Jul 14, 2007 Sylvia added it
Recommends it for: those who need reminding
A lot of this is conservative, old-school Western manners. Which some may find outdated, and some may find life-changing. Nothing wrong with learning the basics of being polite!
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
My friend loaned me this book when I asked for etiquette tips prior to attending a formal diner. A refreshing reminder of the little things in life we tend to forget.
Becky
Nov 21, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
It's a pretty good review / education on basic manners. Although I did laugh (out loud) at some of the suggestions. :)
Leslie
Aug 18, 2007 Leslie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: women
There's nothing really new here that you won't find in other etiquette books. Most of it is common sense.
Melissa
Loved it!
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Daniela Ivanova
Daniela Ivanova marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Salma
Salma added it
Jan 23, 2016
Swetim
Swetim marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016