Start by marking “Brotherhood: Gay Life in College Fraternities” as Want to Read:
Brotherhood: Gay Life in College Fraternities

Brotherhood: Gay Life in College Fraternities

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Since the 1998 publication of his groundbreaking book "Out on Fraternity Row," editor and Lambda 10 Project founder Shane Windmeyer has witnessed many changes in the reception and treatment of gay fraternity members: "We have made tremendous progress on men coming out to their brothers and being more likely to find acceptance due to the credo 'once a brother, always a brot ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Alyson Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Brotherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brotherhood

This book was interesting and I appreciated how it attempted to challenge the stereotypes of the Greek frat life. However I ultimately found it disappointing because many authors seem to take this attitude of "frats aren't so bad because some accept individual gays" while at the same time those frats, frat brothers, and gay brothers themselves mock and deride 'faggy' aka effeminate, flamey, and/or insufficiently masculine men. And yet no one speaks up about this. It becomes clear after reading t ...more
Maureen

The individual stories are a good read, but I felt it does get a little repetitive. There are a lot of great resources in the back for professionals to do more research.
Marco
Aug 16, 2007 Marco rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fraternity men or those who are interesting in working in greek life
As a gay greek, these stories both scared me and rang true. Luckily, things have improved considerably in the recent years and gay greeks are a lot more common, visible, and accepted.
Doug
Nothing more than a collection of stories, but it was occasionally insightful. As an aspiring college administrator, I believe it has helped shape some of my perspectives on Greek Life.
Kieran
Kieran added it
Oct 05, 2014
Chase
Chase marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Victor Joshua
Victor Joshua marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Ana Lea Herbrec
Ana Lea Herbrec marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Mygirl Dafabunista
Mygirl Dafabunista marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Becks
Becks marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2011
Chrysalis
Chrysalis marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2008
Secret Sisters: Stories of Being Lesbian and Bisexual in a College Sorority The Advocate College Guide for LGBT Students